Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to *A Awards Without Incurring Additional Miles after 3-Feb-2014

Changes to *A Awards Without Incurring Additional Miles after 3-Feb-2014

Old Feb 13, 2014, 12:11 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Website was able to find a new multi-city itinerary and make the change without me calling in

Did the following change for just 1 person:

Original:
IAD - LHR UA(F)
LHR - FRA LH(C)
FRA - BKK TG(F)
BKK - DPS TG(C)

New Routing:
IAD - FRA LH(F)
FRA - KIX LH(F)
KIX - BKK TG(F)
BKK - DPS TG (C)

It was immediately ticketed and confirmed. Was also able to change seats on LH website. Also changed to a day earlier as F is showing full on my original day of travel out of IAD to FRA. Did have to pay the $50 change fee and got a refund of taxes from old routing. Did not ask for additional miles.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 1:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by faceboy
Website was able to find a new multi-city itinerary and make the change without me calling in

Did the following change for just 1 person:

Original:
IAD - LHR UA(F)
LHR - FRA LH(C)
FRA - BKK TG(F)
BKK - DPS TG(C)

New Routing:
IAD - FRA LH(F)
FRA - KIX LH(F)
KIX - BKK TG(F)
BKK - DPS TG (C)

It was immediately ticketed and confirmed. Was also able to change seats on LH website. Also changed to a day earlier as F is showing full on my original day of travel out of IAD to FRA. Did have to pay the $50 change fee and got a refund of taxes from old routing. Did not ask for additional miles.
Interesting. I've never been able to do such a US-EU-Asia multi-segment award online. UA.com always errors out. I just tried again and it still errors out on a similar itin. Did you do anything special to make it work? Did you just do change flight -> multiple segments -> type in each segment?
Old Feb 13, 2014, 2:57 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by italdesign
Interesting. I've never been able to do such a US-EU-Asia multi-segment award online. UA.com always errors out. I just tried again and it still errors out on a similar itin. Did you do anything special to make it work? Did you just do change flight -> multiple segments -> type in each segment?
I was surprised it worked also and went all the way through as I have never been able to get it to work on prior trips. Yes I just did change flight -> multiple segments -> each segment

I decided to do 3 instead of 4 segments as I figured the last leg, KIX-DPS would easily locate the stop in BKK. That worked perfectly.

My multi segment search was:
IAD - FRA
FRA - KIX
KIX - DPS

I expecting an error even after entering credit card info but the website kept churning and delivered. Happy I did not have to call in and argue to keep miles the same.

Just play around with it and see if you have any luck. Routings that are straightforward probably does not need to be broken up.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 8:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Very interesting Faceboy. I can change mine online to ORD-YUL-MUC-BKK, but swap BKK with HKG or SIN or Tokyo then error. Seems like it works for a limited # of cases.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I am flying a JFK-FRA RT on LH J in July. The reservation was made pre Feb. 3. If F becomes available within 14 days, will they allow me to upgrade to F at pre Feb. 3 levels? I asked when I completed the reservation originally and the agent had no idea.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by PRHusky
I am flying a JFK-FRA RT on LH J in July. The reservation was made pre Feb. 3. If F becomes available within 14 days, will they allow me to upgrade to F at pre Feb. 3 levels? I asked when I completed the reservation originally and the agent had no idea.
Are there other F segments in the rez? If not, then it is a J award and would reprice to the new F price if changed to F.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 8:16 am

Programs: DL 3MM/FC/DM LT; LH FT LT; HH DIA
Success!

rebooked an UA F award FRA to West Coast from UA 1st to LH 1st on same routing but different date! Did it online, stayed at 67500 mls plus change fee ($50)!

FCT here I come
Old Feb 14, 2014, 6:38 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Downgrading incurring additional miles?

I have the following reservation (pre-devaluation):

LAX- SFO: UA J
SFO-PEK: CA F
PEK-SIN: CA J
SIN-CGK: SQ J
CGK-SIN: SQ J
SIN-PEK: SQ J
PEK-LAX: CA F

I'd like to change it to:

LAX-TPE BR J
TPE-SIN BR J
SIN-CGK SQ J
CGK-SIN SQ J
SIN-PEK CA J
PEK-LAX CA F

Will this downgrade cause me to get dinged an additional 10,000 miles? I'd hate to downgrade and get charged an additional 10,000 miles, but the new outbound date works better for me.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:35 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Called to inquire about LH F availability- turned out to be phantom availability. The agent insisted if I were to make any changes to my flights that I would be charged the additional miles under the new rate structure. I said um thanks for the information and hung up. Time to get the memos out to the agents United...

FDW
Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Called to inquire about LH F availability- turned out to be phantom availability. The agent insisted if I were to make any changes to my flights that I would be charged the additional miles under the new rate structure. I said um thanks for the information and hung up. Time to get the memos out to the agents United...

FDW
The memo did go out. Like all post merger memos it said "do whatever the hell you want"
Old Feb 15, 2014, 12:12 am
ATD

Programs: Emirates Skywards, Delta Skymiles, Continental Onepass, etc.
Message from Mileage Plus

I wrote to the MP email address to query about changing a pre-Feb award ticket and the response was:

"As long as your award type, cabin, carrier or region do not change, you are able to change the award ticket without incurring additional miles."

It's good to know that you can even inverse the routing and only pay the change fee without extra miles.

Just confirms what many here have already experienced.

--ATD
Old Feb 15, 2014, 12:51 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ATD
I wrote to the MP email address to query about changing a pre-Feb award ticket and the response was:

"As long as your award type, cabin, carrier or region do not change, you are able to change the award ticket without incurring additional miles."

It's good to know that you can even inverse the routing and only pay the change fee without extra miles.

Just confirms what many here have already experienced.

--ATD
If you are talking about swapping origin and destination ("inverse the routing") I definitely wouldn't count on that working. I'm not saying it wouldn't since the number of miles is technically the same, but your origin and destination regions are both changing, even if you are just swapping them.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
The memo did go out. Like all post merger memos it said "do whatever the hell you want"
And put false "dreaded notes" in the record!
Old Feb 15, 2014, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Changed a partner OW TPAC in J to O for 7,500 miles. Bit surprised but who's complaining.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by 5khours
Changed a partner OW TPAC in J to O for 7,500 miles. Bit surprised but who's complaining.
Routing? And were there any F segments in it in the first place, or was it a J award entirely

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.