FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Changes to *A Awards Without Incurring Additional Miles after 3-Feb-2014 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1549068-changes-awards-without-incurring-additional-miles-after-3-feb-2014-a.html)

IADFlyer123 Apr 14, 2014 9:18 am

Originally Posted by nadir576 (Post 22683419)
Just following up!

So now the business seats are available on my last leg (FRA-PHL) but when I am calling to have them assigned to Business (I), I am told that I need to pay $75/pax in additional fees. Is this normal? I called twice to make this change and even after speaking to supervisor, went nowhere.

Just to recap, I made a change last week (paid $75/person) for making a date change but last leg was not available in business so get assigned in economy. Now seats are available but can't be booked in business class w/o paying change fees. Am I out of luck or should I try HUCA?

When is your travel date? Is it with 21 days? Also are you UA Plat and above? I believe what you are being asked to pay is the close in award fees.

UTex09 Apr 14, 2014 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Kpoxa (Post 22702115)
Here is the UPDATE:
After days of unsuccessful attempts I was able to make this change online.
Here is the summary
• Phone agent asked for 60,000 miles + $75 change fee arguing that the whole itinerary has to be repriced using new chart
• The online change required only 20,000 extra miles (using old chart for the difference between economy and business for the return segment) and $0 fee
Total savings – 40,000 miles + $75.

The online booking engine is really unpredictable when it comes to changing existing award ticket. Just keep trying and you may get pleasantly surprised.

So you were able to change online even after getting the "! error"? I can't change mine online, but am still a few months out. I assumed once you errored out a PNR online you could never change it later on.

Kpoxa Apr 14, 2014 10:30 am

Originally Posted by UTex09 (Post 22702306)
So you were able to change online even after getting the "! error"? I can't change mine online, but am still a few months out. I assumed once you errored out a PNR online you could never change it later on.

Yes, that is exactly what happened. I've been getting "! error" when trying to change my award booking up until last night. Last night surprisingly it did let me change but it didn't allow me to select the flights I wanted even though I knew there were availability on those flight. I waited until this morning and then tried it again and finally my desired flights showed up and I was able to make a change online.

frudd38 Apr 15, 2014 12:03 am

Currently with a one way on Eva I TPE-LAX for 2 people on 2 separate accounts.

Based on what I've read, I believe tacking on the following to make a roundtrip should be doable at the old price:

LAX-SYD UA F (dest)
MEL-BKK-TPE TG I (stop)
TPE-LAX BR I

Question is both accounts are zeroed out in miles and I would like to transfer the miles in via UR only if the roundtrip is confirmed at old price. Not sure what the best way to go about this is..

Anyone been in this situation of 0 miles left but tacking on a roundtrip or higher cabin class?

Kacee Apr 15, 2014 12:15 am

Originally Posted by frudd38 (Post 22706239)
Currently with a one way on Eva I TPE-LAX for 2 people on 2 separate accounts.

Based on what I've read, I believe tacking on the following to make a roundtrip should be doable at the old price:

LAX-SYD UA F (dest)
MEL-BKK-TPE TG I (stop)
TPE-LAX BR I

Question is both accounts are zeroed out in miles and I would like to transfer the miles in via UR only if the roundtrip is confirmed at old price. Not sure what the best way to go about this is..

Anyone been in this situation of 0 miles left but tacking on a roundtrip or higher cabin class?

Not sure you can turn a one-way into a round-trip without a reprice. That is a different award, and a different award I would expect to reprice.

But I wish you well. If you're successful, please let us know.

frudd38 Apr 15, 2014 12:39 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 22706259)
Not sure you can turn a one-way into a round-trip without a reprice. That is a different award, and a different award I would expect to reprice.

But I wish you well. If you're successful, please let us know.

I believe I've seen datapoints on this thread of turning one ways into roundtrips and even adding on additional pax at old price. Am I mistaken?

Kacee Apr 15, 2014 1:11 am

Originally Posted by frudd38 (Post 22706324)
I believe I've seen datapoints on this thread of turning one ways into roundtrips and even adding on additional pax at old price. Am I mistaken?

I don't recall that. But please let us know if it works for you! (Since the original purpose of this thread was to provide a forum for reporting "successful changes.")

jcmitchell21 Apr 15, 2014 1:13 pm

Below is my original routing, first routing (changed 1/31), and my current routing. In my change from original to first change, I was quoted and should have been charged 10k+/person due to the inclusion of the F segments. Apparently I wasn't and my outbound was still coded as business. For the second change, 5 agents said due to their mistake, I could not change without a reprice as my fare was incorrectly coded.

So I sent a few hail mary's. Facebook came through with the second change and did not charge more miles or add a change fee. So my outbound is in first at business price.

Originally booked: US-Africa(stop)-SAsia(dest.)-US

JFK-IST-ADD:stop(TK J)
ADD-DXB-BKK-HKT:dest.(TG J)
HKT-HKG-ICN...US(OZ J)

First change (changed 1/31): US-Europe(stop)-SAsia(dest.)-US

DTW-FRA-FCO:stop(LH J)
FCO-BKK-HKG:dest(TG F)
HKG-PEK-IAH-ATL(CA J)

Final booking: US-Europe(stop)-SAsia(dest.)-US

MCO-FRA-FCO:stop(LH F, 1 day earlier)
FCO-BKK-HKG:dest(TG F)
HKG-PEK-IAH-ATL(CA J)

FlyerChrisK Apr 15, 2014 11:59 pm

I originally had a PAR stopover that I was returning to the United States via CDG-FRA-JFK in LH J (as part of a US-Asia F roundtrip award).

After 2/3, I changed to CDG-MUC-YUL, trying to nab some F space (see my discussion earlier), but wound into agents wanting to reprice the entire trip, so I wound up in LH J for this (after an agent led me to believe I could make the change I wanted).

I'm trying to move my segments to CDG-VIE-ORD in OS J, but I'm getting pushback about repricing. The agent I spoke to most recently says my record "was documented numerous times in February." :td:

I don't know which is worse, no notice changes (American) or a complete unwillingness to be consistent with one's own stated policy for changes (this thread).

seajag Apr 16, 2014 2:12 pm

I've changed date, airline and route on one leg of my flight, all with a 10-minute call and 0 miles.

Original itinerary:
SFO-FRA (UA F), FRA-BKK (TG F)
BKK-ICN (TG F, OZ J)
ICN-LAX (OZ F)

New itinerary:
SEA-FRA (LH F, different date), FRA-BKK (TG F, but different flight)
BKK-ICN (TG F, OZ J)
ICN-LAX (OZ F)

nadir576 Apr 17, 2014 8:43 am

Originally Posted by IADFlyer123 (Post 22702267)
When is your travel date? Is it with 21 days? Also are you UA Plat and above? I believe what you are being asked to pay is the close in award fees.

No travel is still 21 days out and no I am not elite on UA. Another call today to make a date change (as original date in business class is no longer available). I was told that I will now need additional 20K/Pax to make a change plus $75/pax fees to reissue the ticket.

Recap: booked original itin. in biz class for travel in late May using old chart, changed to new dates after calling in (plans changed), paid changed fee of $75/pax but one leg was not available in business class (Transatlantic). Saw availability on the above said leg, called right away but was told to pay AGAIN, an additional $75/pax to make changes to book that segment in business class, HUCA several times but got the same answer. Now the availability is gone on the same leg/date but wanted to change to a different date (+ 3 days out), was told I would need additional 20K miles/pax plus change fees plus additional taxes. Any hope? was told that since I have already one change, the ticket will be re-priced at new price. Is this real? She confirmed with rate desk (was on hold for 20 minutes) before dropping this news.

gpeso8 Apr 17, 2014 9:46 am

Today Changed:

LAX-TPE-SIN (BR J on ally flights)

To:

LAX-(UA J)-DFW-(LH F)-FRA-(LH F)-SIN

Was only hit with 10K increase in miles which surprised me since I thought going from J to F would have triggered the new award chart.

Really exceptional agent, made all changes within 10 minutes.

AwardBee Apr 17, 2014 11:22 am

Originally Posted by nadir576 (Post 22719087)
No travel is still 21 days out and no I am not elite on UA. Another call today to make a date change (as original date in business class is no longer available). I was told that I will now need additional 20K/Pax to make a change plus $75/pax fees to reissue the ticket.

Recap: booked original itin. in biz class for travel in late May using old chart, changed to new dates after calling in (plans changed), paid changed fee of $75/pax but one leg was not available in business class (Transatlantic). Saw availability on the above said leg, called right away but was told to pay AGAIN, an additional $75/pax to make changes to book that segment in business class, HUCA several times but got the same answer. Now the availability is gone on the same leg/date but wanted to change to a different date (+ 3 days out), was told I would need additional 20K miles/pax plus change fees plus additional taxes. Any hope? was told that since I have already one change, the ticket will be re-priced at new price. Is this real? She confirmed with rate desk (was on hold for 20 minutes) before dropping this news.

It's pretty discouraging, but ya, if your itinerary is complicated and requires agent intervention, you could be SOL. Have you tried the web support #? 1-800-396-1751. They're based in the Philippines and have sometimes saved the day.

nadir576 Apr 18, 2014 8:57 am

Originally Posted by AwardBee (Post 22719979)
It's pretty discouraging, but ya, if your itinerary is complicated and requires agent intervention, you could be SOL. Have you tried the web support #? 1-800-396-1751. They're based in the Philippines and have sometimes saved the day.

Itin. is not that complicated but my lack of understanding (and trusting words from first united CSR) makes its really difficult for me now to make any changes without incurring additional miles.

But that number was really helpful, I called last night and CSR was excellent, she tried everything (even double checking with her supervisors) before finally giving up after what must be an hour long phone call! nevertheless lessons learned, never trust the words coming out from agents (which seems too good to be true).

jchock1 Apr 18, 2014 11:01 pm

Able to change 1-way into r/t at pre-deval level

Using the Multiple Destinations option, I was able to get ua.com to re-price two one-way US-BKK tickets (CLT-LHR US J, LHR-FRA LH J, FRA-BKK TG F) bought pre 2/3 for 70k/ticket into a r/t US-BKK-US (CLT-JFK US F, JFK-ICN OZ F, ICN-BKK TG J, BKK-ICN J, ICN-JFK in F and JFK-CLT F) for an additional 70k/ticket, for a total of 140k r/t per ticket. I didn't have the miles in my account to ticket, so did not actually make the change, but it appears as though I will be able to.

nissan720 Apr 19, 2014 7:16 am

Help! HUCA Not Working

Moved my question to :
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...

transportbiz Apr 19, 2014 9:01 am

LAX-ICN Asiana (I) connect to ICN-NRT Asiana (O)

Asiana changed (O) to (I) on the second leg

I requested to change to Air China LAX-NRT via PEK in (O)...was told it would be an ADDITIONAL 230,000 miles.

santina91 Apr 20, 2014 3:05 pm

Be prepared for this one:

Original:
IAD-ADD-BKK, HCT-PEK-IAD(stop)DCA-CLT-AUA for 2 people in Y (total: 65K each, 130K total)

Change 1 (online):
RAP-DEN-IAH-PEK-REP in Y, HAN-BKK-FRA-DTW in J for 1 person (total: 92,500)

Change 2 (after many hours on the phone with UA):
DTW-ORD-FRA-PEK(stop)-REP in Y, HAN-BKK-FRA-ORD-FNT in F for 1 person (total: 102,500)

For change 2 had many agents tell me 170K and 120K, and sometimes go between the two many times in the same call. Finally got 102.5K after being on the phone with a supervisor from the Philippines call center for almost an hour. (Called this number: 1-800-396-1751). He did tell me he was making a note in my file that if I made changes to that award again that I should be charged the extra miles.

Lesson: Be persistent, know what you want, know what it should cost, and stick to it!

UA-NYC Apr 20, 2014 6:00 pm

~3 hours before my EWR-FRA flight a week ago, changed from UA C to LH F ^^ only 15K apiece ^^

Enjoyed the FCT (likely) one last time :(:(

Kacee Apr 20, 2014 10:36 pm

Tried to change IST-JFK-SFO in J to IST-BRU-FRA-YVR-SFO with LH F on the web. Priced out as a 17,500 increase but errored at payment. Then would not allow me to make any further changes on the web.

Called it in. Agent was unable to book the LH space (phantom? it did show on NH). She also wanted to reprice the entire itinerary at new rates. I politely ended the call. She was nice enough, but had no clue.

Still not able to make changes to this itinerary online. Holding out for a new and less complicated routing before I call again.

idayvuelta Apr 21, 2014 12:51 pm

One more datapoint. I no longer have any status. I booked a flight before the devaluation and had to cancel it last minute. I chose the cancel without redepositing option. A few weeks later I called web support and got the Philippines desk. I'd second the others who have said the agents are generally competent and pleasant to deal with. It took about an hour, but they were able to rebook me with no additional minutes on completely different flights to and from the same region. The change had to be done manually and clearly had to go up the chain to be approved. Because I no longer have status, a change fee applied.

The next day substantially better flights opened up (of course) and I called to see if I could change again under the 24 hour change rule or by paying a change fee. As it turns out, the 24 hour change only applies to the initial booking. I was initially told no by the Philippines - it seems clear this is meant to be a one-time grandfathering. I called US-based customer service and was honest about what I'd been told (and, as it turns out, the account had been notated by the Philippines). With a little begging on my behalf, the agent was able to make the changes with a change fee on the condition that any further voluntary change would require the additional miles period. I thanked everyone profusely and am really, really happy with the flights.

Thanks very much to everyone who took the time to post on this thread. We have been saving these miles for years and it was really, really disappointing to feel like we'd totally blown it when we had to cancel the original flight and were going to have to spend more miles AND fly business. Much appreciated.

CrownRoyalForever Apr 22, 2014 11:14 am

Originally Posted by NYC1981 (Post 22616169)
If your pre-February itinerary didn't have a stop-over, can you now add one without additional mileage? Thanks.

What about the inverse? By happenstance, I lucked out and have a stopover on a oneway created by a TG schedule change. If I try to make a change to a different segment, when the computer goes to autoprice will it be thrown off by the stopover they created?

lewende Apr 22, 2014 11:29 am

Originally Posted by jchock1 (Post 22727506)
Using the Multiple Destinations option, I was able to get ua.com to re-price two one-way US-BKK tickets (CLT-LHR US J, LHR-FRA LH J, FRA-BKK TG F) bought pre 2/3 for 70k/ticket into a r/t US-BKK-US (CLT-JFK US F, JFK-ICN OZ F, ICN-BKK TG J, BKK-ICN J, ICN-JFK in F and JFK-CLT F) for an additional 70k/ticket, for a total of 140k r/t per ticket. I didn't have the miles in my account to ticket, so did not actually make the change, but it appears as though I will be able to.

Doesn't mean anything. Most likely you will get error out at final payment page.

LufthansaFlyer Apr 23, 2014 8:30 am

WOW, I was surprised I was able to change a pre- devaluation award from LH biz to LH F and change dates and only had to pay the differential in miles based on old table:

Original ZRH-FRA-ORD-GRR leaving ZRH on may 15, all biz except for ORD-GRR (Y).
Changed to ZRH-FRA on 5/14, then FRA-EWR (LH F)-ORD-GRR on 5/15 and only a 17,500 mile 'debit'.

Not to mention LH F availability 3 weeks out as well.

Tracer_SEA Apr 23, 2014 8:40 am

Kudos to UA for being actually Flyer Friendly in this instance

Changed my pre-deval-booked one way F award from TPAC to TATL (same O&Ds though) when LH F opened up and the changes were made in maybe 10 minutes tops and was charged only the difference in taxes.

jasonvr Apr 23, 2014 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer (Post 22747448)
WOW, I was surprised I was able to change a pre- devaluation award from LH biz to LH F and change dates and only had to pay the differential in miles based on old table:

Original ZRH-FRA-ORD-GRR leaving ZRH on may 15, all biz except for ORD-GRR (Y).
Changed to ZRH-FRA on 5/14, then FRA-EWR (LH F)-ORD-GRR on 5/15 and only a 17,500 mile 'debit'.

Not to mention LH F availability 3 weeks out as well.

3 weeks out???? Has LH made some sort of policy change given that:
a) US flyers are no longer out there (even though they were blocked)
b) Less demand from UA flyers due to the rate hikes

LufthansaFlyer Apr 23, 2014 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by jasonvr (Post 22751257)
3 weeks out???? Has LH made some sort of policy change given that:
a) US flyers are no longer out there (even though they were blocked)
b) Less demand from UA flyers due to the rate hikes

It seems that after the great devaluation of 2014, that LH inventory improved, or at least was opening earlier. Pattern is similar though.....'weaker' gateways open first, like BOS, DTW, SEA, IAD, DFW. NYC/ORD/IAH still tight and released late.

Also, when I was on the phone with 1K today, I asked about O availability on other segments around these dates and she confirmed what I was seeing online. Perhaps Ghost inventory is gone too.

jasonvr Apr 23, 2014 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer (Post 22751292)
It seems that after the great devaluation of 2014, that LH inventory improved, or at least was opening earlier. Pattern is similar though.....'weaker' gateways open first, like BOS, DTW, SEA, IAD, DFW. NYC/ORD/IAH still tight and released late.

Also, when I was on the phone with 1K today, I asked about O availability on other segments around these dates and she confirmed what I was seeing online. Perhaps Ghost inventory is gone too.

That could be the very best UA related news I've heard out of FT in quite some time :D ^

Kacee Apr 24, 2014 8:21 am

Was confirmed IST-JFK-SFO in I.

Needed to change flights to get home several days earlier.

Finally was able to book IST-BUD-FRA-YVR-SFO, with IST-BUD and FRA-YVR in J, BUD-FRA and YVR-SFO in Y. Cleared waitlist into J YVR-SFO on a better flight several hours later.

Then called back to change LH J to F. Agent was a bit confused but called the rate desk and it priced at an additional collect of 10,000 miles.

Ticket confirmed online at UA, LH, and Saudia websites. FCL here I come!

(btw, flew TK outbound JFK-IST and have to say that was one of the nicest flights ever. TK has a truly outstanding J product.)

Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer (Post 22751292)
Perhaps Ghost inventory is gone too.

I saw phantom F inventory on MUC-YVR this morning.

LufthansaFlyer Apr 24, 2014 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 22753304)

I saw phantom F inventory on MUC-YVR this morning.

Well there goes my theory, though I only tried 4 options that I saw 10 days+ out. If you have time, got to both FCL and FCT!

Kacee Apr 24, 2014 8:46 am

Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer (Post 22753404)
Well there goes my theory, though I only tried 4 options that I saw 10 days+ out. If you have time, got to both FCL and FCT!

It was a nice thought!

I have 5.5 hours at FRA following a really unfortunate 6:15 a.m. departure from BUD. Will they escort me from that arrival to the FCL? If so, you think it's worth the hike over to the FCT?

CDKing Apr 24, 2014 12:19 pm

I made an online change to an existing reservation and it didnt throw any errors (Quite a shock). Usually I have to clean up after changing.

Due to the thread about issues with CA reservations being cancelled, I made changed to my return from SYD.

Went from:

SYD-BKK-PEK-LAX

to

SYD-BKK-HKG-ICN-JFK

$4 refund on taxes and fees and no add/collect on miles I would have loved to try CA but i'll take an extra ride on the OZ F Suite. Also get to drop a positioning flight so saving over 30K miles in the end

CDKing Apr 24, 2014 12:20 pm

Mods sorry was trying to edit post and accidentally quoted

i_gtgo Apr 24, 2014 2:08 pm

I need to change my original reservation of:

PEK-PVG(stop)-IAH(dest);NYC-BOM

32.5K Econ from China to USA
60K Biz from USA to India

to

BOM-MUC-IAH(dest)-EWR(stop)-MUC-BOM

All Biz

The online system is allowing me to do it for only the difference in miles based on the old chart. But I'm skeptical after reading the posts on this thread that this will go through. I have only enough miles to cover the miles required per the old award chart. What's the best method to get the old rate? Try online first or call the phone number in post 308 and tell them that this is what the computer is telling me.

eyuro Apr 24, 2014 3:34 pm

So I booked two C class tickets for me and my son on LH, JFK-BUD for travel next week back in Nov of last year. I paid the 50K each way, each pax. Yesterday with the <14 day already here, LH released two seats in F on a later flight. I hit the change flight tab on ua.com. They offered me the flight in F for 17.5K additional per pax. I was short 5K miles, but they offered me the 5K for $188. I hit the "i accept" button and was waiting for my "seat-bed" confirmation. I get the error page after about 10 seconds.
I had checked with a phone agent right before just to make sure these were not just phantom seats. Since that error message, I have not been able to hit the change flight tab at all. All I get is a new error message.
2 questions. 1)Why only 17.5K per pax? UA is now asking for 80K per pax. Is it because of the pre Feb ticketing date? 2) How do I get the "change flight" tab to
work again? I called the 1K .com support dest to no avail. I'm not complaining so much because my return in C is on one of LH's new 380 with their new C config, but nothing beats F on the 747.

LufthansaFlyer Apr 24, 2014 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by eyuro (Post 22755995)
So I booked two C class tickets for me and my son on LH, JFK-BUD for travel next week back in Nov of last year. I paid the 50K each way, each pax. Yesterday with the <14 day already here, LH released two seats in F on a later flight. I hit the change flight tab on ua.com. They offered me the flight in F for 17.5K additional per pax. I was short 5K miles, but they offered me the 5K for $188. I hit the "i accept" button and was waiting for my "seat-bed" confirmation. I get the error page after about 10 seconds.
I had checked with a phone agent right before just to make sure these were not just phantom seats. Since that error message, I have not been able to hit the change flight tab at all. All I get is a new error message.
2 questions. 1)Why only 17.5K per pax? UA is now asking for 80K per pax. Is it because of the pre Feb ticketing date? 2) How do I get the "change flight" tab to
work again? I called the 1K .com support dest to no avail. I'm not complaining so much because my return in C is on one of LH's new 380 with their new C config, but nothing beats F on the 747.

Yes your reservation was grandfathered. I had the same experience earlier this week moving from C to F.

I wonder if the change flight tab is not highlighted because the fare has not been reticketed? When did you do this?

eyuro Apr 24, 2014 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer (Post 22756018)
Yes your reservation was grandfathered. I had the same experience earlier this week moving from C to F.

I wonder if the change flight tab is not highlighted because the fare has not been reticketed? When did you do this?

Yesterday morning.

eyuro Apr 24, 2014 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer (Post 22756018)

I'm on with the 1K desk now. Any suggestions as to what to ask for?

Kacee Apr 24, 2014 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by eyuro (Post 22755995)
How do I get the "change flight" tab to

I had the exact same thing happen to my award reservation when I tried to change online to LH F. I got all the way through and then it errored out at payment. Ever since, I have gotten the error message when I try to use "change flights." This was about two weeks ago, and I have since made several changes to the award, which have resulted in three ticket reissuances.

btw, why didn't you call and ask them to switch you into F? There's a reasonable chance you could still get it done without a complete reprice. (Although I agree, that's a change I would prefer to make online based on the many reports in this thread.) I would just say "I'm interested in changing to F, is it available and can you see how much it will cost?" The worst that can happen is they say "add/collect of 60,000 miles," in which case you say, "thanks, I think I'll just keep what I have."

eyuro Apr 24, 2014 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 22756097)
I had the exact same thing happen to my award reservation when I tried to change online to LH F. I got all the way through and then it errored out at payment. Ever since, I have gotten the error message when I try to use "change flights." This was about two weeks ago, and I have since made several changes to the award, which have resulted in three ticket reissuances.

btw, why didn't you call and ask them to switch you into F? There's a reasonable chance you could still get it done without a complete reprice. (Although I agree, that's a change I would prefer to make online based on the many reports in this thread.) I would just say "I'm interested in changing to F, is it available and can you see how much it will cost?" The worst that can happen is they say "add/collect of 60,000 miles," in which case you say, "thanks, I think I'll just keep what I have."

Did that twice! They keep on asking for 80,000 per person. I'm on hold now, but only because I can't do it online anymore.