Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Mileage (PQDs, PQMs, RDMs) earning when purchasing Chase Ultimate Reward UA tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage (PQDs, PQMs, RDMs) earning when purchasing Chase Ultimate Reward UA tickets

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2016, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Anyone have recent experience with this?

I'm looking at purchasing an F ticket with my UR points. It does seem that splitting the purchase between points & cash may make the ticket PQD eligible.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Update - I purchased a Z fare UA ticket on the Chase website using a majority of UR points and also paid some cash.

When it ticketed the receipt on UA showed the full fare and full PQM/PQD/RDM miles for that class of ticket.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 1:02 pm

Thanks Mary2Me. Also, you have 24 hours to cancel and once booked you can quickly see if the ticket qualified for PQM and PQD - no???
Old Sep 28, 2016, 11:40 pm

Programs: UA, AA
I just purchased a ticket from Houston (IAH) to London (LHR). The lowest price was W fare both ways so that was perfect because I wanted to apply a GPU. I used a ton of points then paid $3.50 or something on a card (just in case that's the trigger for PQDs as someone else hypothesized).

When I went to view the receipt, it shows the standard PQM and ~800 PQDs (ticket was $1600 so after $1200 in tax it "should" be $1400). Award miles are the normal 11x multiple but of the lower PQD #. Form of payment says "CHECK".

Most importantly for me, it shows as a normal W fare. I already applied GPUs and was confirmed on the way home (side note: LHR charges their tax based on space to a certain extent so upgrading on a flight from London costs $100 over economy).

Great use of my Chase UR!
Old Sep 29, 2016, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by thepd7
I just purchased a ticket from Houston (IAH) to London (LHR). The lowest price was W fare both ways so that was perfect because I wanted to apply a GPU. I used a ton of points then paid $3.50 or something on a card (just in case that's the trigger for PQDs as someone else hypothesized).

When I went to view the receipt, it shows the standard PQM and ~800 PQDs (ticket was $1600 so after $1200 in tax it "should" be $1400). Award miles are the normal 11x multiple but of the lower PQD #. Form of payment says "CHECK".

Most importantly for me, it shows as a normal W fare. I already applied GPUs and was confirmed on the way home .
How many points was it for $1600 value? Just got the new Sapphire Reserve with the 100K bonus so debating using the portal versus transfer to MP.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 10:32 am

So it's 2017. Has anyone cracked the code yet, or are we still rolling the dice every time? It's insane that that we don't have a reliable way to tell whether or not UR point tickets will count towards PQD.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 10:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by D1BT
So it's 2017. Has anyone cracked the code yet, or are we still rolling the dice every time? It's insane that that we don't have a reliable way to tell whether or not UR point tickets will count towards PQD.
Ask if it is a BULK ticket or not -- that is the key.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Ask if it is a BULK ticket or not -- that is the key.
Ask who? Chase CSR's don't seem to know.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Ask who? Chase CSR's don't seem to know.
If the price matches the public fare, it's probably not BULK. If you inspect the fare construction after ticketing and it matches published fares, it's not BULK.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE
my data point.. i booked a ticket using split UR points and cash (75% cash if that makes any difference) and while 2nd half still hasn't posted, but PQD is coming through seemingly at same rate as all rev spend.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starwood Platinum
Another data point - I booked RT flight ORD-ICN-ORD over the new year through Ultimate Rewards using a combo of points and cash (~50/50) and flights from Jan 1 just posted for 2017 with PQD and PQM just as they would had I paid cash through UA.com.

Last edited by rin1018; Jan 4, 2017 at 1:26 pm Reason: type/clarity
Old Jan 4, 2017, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by findark
If the price matches the public fare, it's probably not BULK. If you inspect the fare construction after ticketing and it matches published fares, it's not BULK.
<br />
<br />
People in this thread have purchased tickets that were the exact same as the public fare. Their tickets ended ended being bulk. Same price with none of the PQD's.

So far, purchasing partially with points and partially with dollars doesn't seem to be a reliable differentiation. Though, the new data points are promising.

For new DP's it will help if we know the ROUTE and the CLASS people are buying. Econ, Biz, First?
Old Jan 4, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starwood Platinum

For new DP's it will help if we know the ROUTE and the CLASS people are buying. Econ, Biz, First?
ORD-SFO-ICN and ICN-NRT-ORD all P class (business) for me.

Ticket receipt shows airfare and taxes/fee breakdown per usual and "Form of Payment" states "MISC DOCUMENT" (where it normally says "VISA Last 4 Digits XXXX").

One item of note (that I doubt matters, but in case it might possibly) I did change my return flight to move it up two days (and paid change fee) but I'm fairly certain that the PDM/PQD from my outbound flights had already posted and I can't see how this would impact earnings (but never say never I suppose!)
Old Jan 4, 2017, 2:15 pm

In the past 24 months I have purchased several Y tickets using Chase UR points and have always received correct PQM/PQD/RDM. The ticket receipts have looked exactly the same as if I had purchased directly from United, except the form of payment is usually "Check".

Most recent data point: 4 days ago I purchased 2 tickets, RIC-DEN-BZN in Y for travel in May using only UR points. Both ticketed in S class, and receipts shows "normal" earnings in all 3 categories.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by findark
That's not true, the bulk fares are often marked up to the published fare prices (Chase keeps the difference). The fare construction after ticketing will say BULK if it's bulk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.