Old Sep 21, 2017, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

The future of the LAX hub?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
I'd love to see LAX-HKG or LAX-CDG, but the chances of that happening are probably nil.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Love seeing the anticipation, like kids on Christmas morning wondering what is inside their wrapped present.)
chavala likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by schley
Love seeing the anticipation, like kids on Christmas morning wondering what is inside their wrapped present.)
This is United we are discussing, more likely to be a few lumps of coal....
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by schley
Until you finally get to open it, and its a 12 pack of socks. So says my son between the rest of the cool gifts he gets.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by zeer0
But most of those have been taken over by SAS, no? I look at LAX-CPH the same way as SFO-ARN, both primed with connections to SAS. I do think it's likelier SAS will start either or both of those routes, rather than UA.
Not a matter of being 'taken over' by SAS, as UA/SK are essentially competitors despite some coordination through *A. The local markets aren't large, SK has a lot of capacity (with connections), and the entry of DY has trashed yields, especially in the offseason. The 757s are also at the upper limit of their range on the Scandinavian routes, which was especially problematic in the winter.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 5:37 pm

Seeing the way Norwegian has entered into LAX has been very interesting and I wonder if that will affect the decision making process.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 1:09 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by EWR764
Not a matter of being 'taken over' by SAS, as UA/SK are essentially competitors despite some coordination through *A. The local markets aren't large, SK has a lot of capacity (with connections), and the entry of DY has trashed yields, especially in the offseason. The 757s are also at the upper limit of their range on the Scandinavian routes, which was especially problematic in the winter.
What local markets aren't large? LAX-ARN/CPH are huge local markets. Third largest long-haul market from each after NYC and MIA.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by MAH4546

What local markets aren't large? LAX-ARN/CPH are huge local markets. Third largest long-haul market from each after NYC and MIA.
What’s the PDEW of each, though?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MAH4546

You could call LAX to or from any city a "huge" market just because of LA's population if that's how you want to define the market. ARN and CPH are relatively small markets. You can count in various fashions, but regardless each generally falls well outside the list of the 20 largest cities in Europe. If you include Russia, they don't even make the top 50. Neither airport (CPH, ARN) makes the top 50 in the world by passenger traffic; LAX is number 4.

So the net is, it makes excellent sense for SK to serve the 4th largest airport in the world; it makes very little sense for UA to service ARN or CPH from the west coast, particularly since SK has a competitive advantage drawing the Scandinavia based traffic to California.
claaaaaydavis likes this.

Last edited by Kacee; Jan 17, 2018 at 9:06 am
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Bangkok is large...
exerda, schley and chavala like this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 3:51 pm

Seeing as there was no announcement on that email and nothing on the earnings call, I am afraid this is less and less likely.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by EWR764

What’s the PDEW of each, though?
LAX-ARN: ~75-80
LAX-CPH: ~110-115

Those numbers are from a couple of years ago before Norwegian entered the market. Their low fares stimulate demand, so I am sure those numbers are way up. UA doesn't serve the largest international market from LAX, which is ICN with around 10x as many passengers as LAX-CPH.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by DA201
LAX-ARN: ~75-80
LAX-CPH: ~110-115

Those numbers are from a couple of years ago before Norwegian entered the market. Their low fares stimulate demand, so I am sure those numbers are way up. UA doesn't serve the largest international market from LAX, which is ICN with around 10x as many passengers as LAX-CPH.
Even with DY stimulating demand, that’s still small for a West Coast longhaul that, for UA, won’t benefit from much connecting traffic on either end. For New York, the markets are larger, but more competitive, and still not of the same volume as other markets with similar levels of competition.

Especially in the winter, UA faces JV pressure for operating capacity that doesn’t generate enough revenue to justify its existence. UA would rather have that traffic flow over JV hubs if it can’t generate a premium.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
They're dropping LAX - TUS. I find that one interesting. It seemed like they were turning LAX into more of a western US hub with their adding of markets in Oregon and dropping MSP and OKC. LAX - Tuscon is a crowded market but seems like a reasonably important regional market, but I'm not Scott Kirby.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by smxflyer
They're dropping LAX - TUS. I find that one interesting. It seemed like they were turning LAX into more of a western US hub with their adding of markets in Oregon and dropping MSP and OKC. LAX - Tuscon is a crowded market but seems like a reasonably important regional market, but I'm not Scott Kirby.
I don’t think UA knows quite what to do with LAX, probably because giving up T6 made them way too space-constrained. It certainly feels like a hub they use way more for O&D as opposed to driving connecting traffic, but given their decline in presence, it’s hard to sustain as such.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.