Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[confirmed] UA to strictly enforce carry-on size starting 1-Mar-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[confirmed] UA to strictly enforce carry-on size starting 1-Mar-2014

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2014, 4:44 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Stupid rules are stupid. If they want to reduce the number of carry-ons, charge for it.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 5:37 am

Programs: UA 1K and MM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by RockinPete
Good.

I'm a 1K so I never have an issue finding overhead space for my small bag but years ago it drove me nuts when I would get on and I would see a couple with 4+ bags in one bin taking up the whole thing.
Totally agreed! Bring this on if it is true!

Tim
Old Feb 2, 2014, 6:14 am

I like this a lot in theory but does a 22" roll aboard actually fit in the sizer? I have never tried it but they look kinda small. I just want the sizer to reflect the reality of getting a not-overstuffed travelpro in the bin wheels first. I have organized my entire travel life around this.

They should have actual bins at the gate
Old Feb 2, 2014, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Not in favor of this - mainly in that it will incredibly slow down boarding. Probably need to add another 5-10 minutes to the already post-merger padded boarding time.

I WOULD be in favor of a rule / new enforcement stating whatever 2nd item you take on the plane MUST go under the seat in front of you (bulkheads excepted if no storage space).
Old Feb 2, 2014, 6:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Wouldn't it make more sense to have the bag size check done at the check-in counter as well? I suspect that many of the people who try to board with oversize bags checked in at the counter as they are not frequent fliers. They could catch them there instead of the scrum of a boarding process we deal with.

Certainly some will be OLCI and just go to the gate, but having them at the check-in counter could help.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Not in favor of this - mainly in that it will incredibly slow down boarding. Probably need to add another 5-10 minutes to the already post-merger padded boarding time.

I WOULD be in favor of a rule / new enforcement stating whatever 2nd item you take on the plane MUST go under the seat in front of you (bulkheads excepted if no storage space).
But that's even harder/slower to enforce? You'd need FAs policing the aisles.

Maybe they could hand out tags at the gate - one says Bin and one says Seat. No seat tags in the bins. Then we could rat each other out.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by nonstarter
I like this a lot in theory but does a 22" roll aboard actually fit in the sizer? I have never tried it but they look kinda small. I just want the sizer to reflect the reality of getting a not-overstuffed travelpro in the bin wheels first. I have organized my entire travel life around this.

They should have actual bins at the gate
Discussed a LOT in the original thread, back when the new sizer model appeared:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rry-sizer.html

Do not assume that if your roll aboard fits into the overhead, it will actually fit into the new sizer. My 22 B&R has fit neatly into every UA plane that I have tried, but is now "Oversized" according to the sizer. Stupid !

Wonder if they will use it at UAX gates as well? Never had to worry before about it fitting as they always green tag them....
Old Feb 2, 2014, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Its about time!

"Elites" are worst offenders with oversized carryons, so I cant imagine there being much happiness from this from Joe domestic salesman who lugs on oversized carryons.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I think that oversized carry ons (otherwise known as suitcases which people are hoping to sneak through to avoid paying) should be charged at double the standard rate for checked bags - whether or not you are entitled to free checked bags. The key is to find a strong disincentive.
Frontier dubles its fee if a bag is checked at the gate.

I think this kind of policy is going to make boarding a UA flight an even longer and more unpleasant experience than it is currently.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by 5khours
Stupid rules are stupid. If they want to reduce the number of carry-ons, charge for it.
I don't think the rule is stupid. Almost every flight I'm on I see someone come on with a bag that is clearly not going to fit anywhere.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nonstarter
But that's even harder/slower to enforce? You'd need FAs policing the aisles.

Maybe they could hand out tags at the gate - one says Bin and one says Seat. No seat tags in the bins. Then we could rat each other out.
It's of course unrealistic, more of a wish list thing. Especially if you're in E+/F, its ridiculous you can't keep your personal item at your feet.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 7:04 am

Programs: 1k MM, Hyatt Diamond,Marriott Gold, IHG Sphire, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Carson Gold
Just charge for carry-ons. Elites get it free if its not over whats allowed. 1K gets 3 free bags/carry-on...
Old Feb 2, 2014, 7:06 am

If this is true, it will be interesting to see how well they enforce this.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 7:10 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
While many people here complain about so much, it does not surprise me that they whine about one guy or one bingo lady with an oversized bag and they are the first person to seat snipe an R seat and jump the queue. How many bags do not make it on board? 2-5? And now check everyone's bag, of course that will be extremely slow for every flight. This is not an enhancement to favor the traveler, it only benefits UA and revenue. FFS, do you think UA would have this implemented to benefit a closing of the door quicker? Of course not, generate revenue, period. People look at the big picture.

Catching oversized bags on multiple flights and the expense of gate checking 3 or a few more bags, which is now free, is a UA enhancement for revenue. I do not have a issue with a guy taking a large bag on board. If he makes it on board then he outwitted a few folks, like we all do, let's the hypocrites rise again from the dead. I for one will dread putting my gold handle wrapped over entitled 1k 21" $70 Marshals special roll a board in the sizer for each segment.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 7:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by RockinRon
Wouldn't it make more sense to have the bag size check done at the check-in counter as well? I suspect that many of the people who try to board with oversize bags checked in at the counter as they are not frequent fliers. They could catch them there instead of the scrum of a boarding process we deal with.

Certainly some will be OLCI and just go to the gate, but having them at the check-in counter could help.
I was thinking this myself. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.