Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Press Conference called regarding United’s future at CLE [Good night Cleveland...]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 1, 2014, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ianmanka
Per Cleveland Airport System press release (dead link):

Eliminated CLE service:
April: BTV, BDL, MHT, MSN, YUL, OKC, PHL, PBI, PVD, RDU
May: CLT, MDT (announced Mar 31), SDF, MSP, BNA, PIT (announced Mar 31)
June: ALB (announced Mar 31), ATL, AUS, BWI (announced Mar 31), BFD*, BUF, CMH, DAY, DUJ* (pushed to October because of EAS regulations), ERI, FNT, FKL*, GRR, GSP, MDT, IND, JHW*, MCI, MSY, PKB* (pushed to October because of EAS regulations), PHX, PIT, RIC, ROC, SYR, YYZ
October: DUJ, PKB (due to DOT EAS regulations)
Per Cleveland FOX 8 report (announced on Dec 3):
March 5, 2015: DFW
April 7, 2015: RSW, FLL, TPA

*Essential Air Service Subject to DOT approval

From Cleveland.com article on March 31, 2014:
"United will cease offering regional service from Cleveland to Albany and Baltimore effective June 5, and will end service from Cleveland to Harrisburg and Pittsburgh on April 30 as opposed to June, as originally planned," United spokesman Rahsaan Johnson said.
"Replacement" Routes:
  • FNT-ORD (3x daily), ERI-ORD (2x daily) (Starts June 5)
  • IAD-PKB, IAD-DUJ (3x daily) by 3M (Silver Airways, codeshare with UA, but not UAX) (Starts Oct 1)
mduell (Post #125) lists the following UA destinations not served by any other UA hubs. These airports might have UA service eliminated entirely, unless other flights are scheduled.
Eliminated UA service: DUJ, PKB (now serviced by 3M, Silver Airways, a codeshare partner of UA, not a UAX carrier, Per gusd (Post #898))
Possible eliminated UA service: BFD, FKL, JHW

Per SteveHK screenshot (Post #75):

Nonstop service kept: ALB, BWI (announced Mar 31), ORD, DEN, IAH, LAX, EWR, SFO, IAD, BOS, DCA, DFW, FLL, (announced Dec 3) LAS, LGA, MCO, MKE, RSW, (announced Dec 3) STL, TPA (announced Dec 3)

Seasonal service kept: CUN, CHS, NAS, SJU

Discrepancies:
  • MIA & PWM not mentioned in Cleveland Airport System press release, but mentioned in the screenshot.

New peak day departures: 72 (-64%, from 199)
New peak day nonstop destinations: 20 (-66%, from 58)
New peak day seats: 6,121 (-51%, from 12,384)

New schedule: From @United (twitter) interaction with Surface Interval : We’ll be reducing flights in Cleveland beginning in April, with the new schedule available starting Feb. 8, 2014. And should be complete by Feb. 11, 2014, according to this mass e-mail from UA: "Over the next several days, we will be updating our flight schedules, which could result in changes to the flight times for your trip. If that does happen, we will send you an email with an updated itinerary on or before February 11. You may also review your itinerary any time at united.com."
Print Wikipost

Press Conference called regarding United’s future at CLE [Good night Cleveland...]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2014, 1:49 am

Programs: Mileage Plus: Platinum; Enterprise Plus: Silver
Originally Posted by bloxomo
Surely the club will stay open for a while, no? After all, CLE will still be a much larger station than other places with clubs like AUS and SAT.
If UA cuts off feeders (express), it soon might start cutting mainliners, becuse CLE to hubs demand will decrease without all those people from small towns. Who knows how many flights at CLE UA will have in 2 years.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 2:05 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
Looking at the CLE Wikipedia page, am I reading it correctly that they had 8 different UAX carriers operating their Express routes? Probably only have one or two UAX carriers operate the remaining routes?

Although, looking at the other hubs -- EWR has 4 UAX carriers, IAD has 9 UAX carriers, ORD has 7. So maybe not too out of the ordinary after all.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 2:06 am

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by exmike
Spent four years in Cleveland for medical school about 10 years ago.. Its so sad to see cleveland take blow after blow. I always thought that CLE had an airport way nicer than a city of it's size could sustain. It made flying to interviews all over the country a breeze. I'm not sure whats worse, the lebron james fiasco or this.
You said yourself why it would never work. " nicer then a city it's size could sustain" Then you were flying around to get out. Problem solved.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 2:07 am

Programs: Mileage Plus: Platinum; Enterprise Plus: Silver
Originally Posted by cbn42
I had a chat with a United Skywest pilot once, and he told me rather confidently that regional flights are NEVER profitable. Airlines are willing to subsidize these flights in order to get people to their hubs so that they can take longer and more profitable flights.
I am confused. The first sentence says they are not profitable, and the second says they are profitable.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 2:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
Originally Posted by Volga981
I am confused. The first sentence says they are not profitable, and the second says they are profitable.
I think the OP means the RJ flights are not profitable, but the mainline flights are. The mainline flights make up for the RJ flight loss.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry I did not read through the whole thread...any chance that capacity will be moved to the southeast to plug the hole left by US?
Old Feb 2, 2014, 2:15 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by USHPNWDLUA
No wonder it wasn't profitable. Can you imagine the cost to fly CLE-CMH? DL figured this out years ago, when it dropped CVG-CMH. The fixed costs alone for such a short flight would be very high by any measure...
What matters to an airline isn't sheer operating cost -- it's the difference between cost and revenue. A route that costs $1 per available seat mile but which rakes in $2 in revenue per available seat mile is ten times more profitable than a route that costs only $.25 per ASM and brings in $.35 per ASM despite the fact that the less profitable route costs only 1/4 of what the other one does to operate.

That said, shorter routes tend to have higher costs per seat-mile, which is primarily a function of the fact that shorter routes tend to consume more fuel per mile as they operate at lower and thus less efficient altitudes.

Delta dropped CMH-CVG, but they still operate CMH-DTW. One's a little longer, but not by a whole lot. And it was dropped because it made the decision to deemphasize the CVG hub in favor of DTW after the merger. Another aspect of the economics of the industry to consider is the fact that some routes are more profitable than others; profitable routes can be dropped in favor of routes that are more profitable.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 3:23 am

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
No wonder it wasn't profitable. Can you imagine the cost to fly CLE-CMH? DL figured this out years ago, when it dropped CVG-CMH. The fixed costs alone for such a short flight would be very high by any measure.

I wonder if the AG made a deal that was not in CLE's best interest after all. Requiring the hub for any length of time may have driven it more quickly to be unprofitable, thereby unwittingly hastening its demise. If it had been free to compete in the air travel market naturally, it may not have been such a loss to UA.

Sincere best wishes to all the people of CLE.
No. It struggled years before the merger. At the time CO was mostly using it for overflow from EWR and said for years before it was a loss leader. CLE got a gift it stayed as long as it has. It was always CO's by far weakest hub.

however, the airport, Cleveland community, and Continental developed something of an uneasy relationship beginning in the late 1990s. In 2003, the tension became public when Continental then-CEO Gordon Bethune publicly scolded the Cleveland business community and encouraged business flyers to support Continental at Hopkins rather than to take cheaper fights from neighboring Akron-Canton Regional Airport, which at the time advertised itself as the "preferred alternative" to Hopkins and "a better way to go."[38] Around this time, Akron-Canton Airport was undertaking an ambitious expansion in response to substantial increases in enplanements while Hopkins boardings declined.[39][40] Shortly thereafter, Continental reduced the size of its board of directors by halving the number of representatives from the Cleveland area, began to more closely scrutinize local passenger traffic volume, and closed its four off-airport ticket offices in the Greater Cleveland area (while maintaining offices near its Houston and Newark hubs).[41]
On September 14, 2007, Continental announced what was at the time called a "major expansion" at Hopkins that would have increased the hub's capacity by some 40% over a two-year period. The expansion would have entailed some 20 new destinations served primarily on regional aircraft, followed later by a dozen new destinations served on mainline aircraft. This expansion was expected to create 700 jobs, and the state of Ohio offered a $16 million incentive package to help bring the service increase to fruition.[42] However, when record-high fuel prices forced Continental to cut capacity in the summer of 2008, the airline reduced its workforce, eliminated service between Cleveland and 24 cities (including 12 cities that were part of Phase I of its hub expansion program), and reduced the frequency of its flights to a number of others; the service cuts in Cleveland were deeper as a percentage of overall flight volume than concurrent cuts at Continental's Houston and Newark hubs.[43] In March 2009, Continental indicated that it would continue to make capacity cuts in response to reduced demand for seats.[44] Also in March 2009, Continental CEO Larry Kellner omitted Cleveland but referenced Newark and Houston when commenting on the carrier's strengths, stating, "We are strong in the Atlantic, we are strong in Latin America, we are strong in New York, we're strong in Houston."[45]

Last edited by grahampros; Feb 2, 2014 at 3:32 am
Old Feb 2, 2014, 3:25 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by exerda
Although I can't say I'm surprised (nor do I necessarily think it's the wrong thing to do), I have to ask: who's next? How long before they dehub DEN and IAD?

I think I've finally figured out Jeff's strategy: shrink UA to fortress hubs. He knows how to run that airline. Problem is that it will be EWR and IAH and GUM and no one else.
Very little chance if either, and in particular DEN has exclusive rights on connections to MRY JNE so I don't see them giving up that green grass run.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 5:22 am
RNE

Originally Posted by kettle1
Good luck. I hope UA gives you a position. I read that DL offered positions to all that wanted to transfer when they de-hubbed MEM. Again, good luck!
The pell-mell rush is what I find so despicable about Jeff Jong Un's axe wielding. Adversely affected employes have little time to be absorbed at other locations. Passengers with nine month's worth of booked flights may find most of them cancelled. The business community has to scramble. Other airlines will fill in some of the capacity, but that'll take time. The Supreme Leader could have given us that time. He didn't.

RNE, opining that difficult decisions are sometimes unavoidable, but handling them correctly is always possible.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by paytonc
Not with 2014 jet fuel prices.
Fuel prices have been pretty stable at this level since the beginning of 2011, really. It's taken a while for carriers to accept that 'cheap' fuel may not return, and to adjust routes and fleets (25-year life cycles) accordingly.

Old Feb 2, 2014, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I wonder if the AG made a deal that was not in CLE's best interest after all. Requiring the hub for any length of time may have driven it more quickly to be unprofitable, thereby unwittingly hastening its demise. If it had been free to compete in the air travel market naturally, it may not have been such a loss to UA.
Smisek's letter says CLE hasn't been profitable in over a decade. The agreement to keep CLE from less than 3 1/2 years ago wasn't/isn't the problem.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Thanks for the link! So it seems they getting out of the cntract with the city of Cleveland after three years using the 'we're losing money' clause...
Old Feb 2, 2014, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Smisek's letter says CLE hasn't been profitable in over a decade.
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Thanks for the link! So it seems they getting out of the cntract with the city of Cleveland after three years using the 'we're losing money' clause...
Any half competent accounting department can make any "profit center" show a loss, whether or not it really is.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by SFO777
Any half competent accounting department can make any "profit center" show a loss, whether or not it really is.
Abslutely! UA/CO clearly knew what it was doing when it signed that contract.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.