Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2017, 2:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nomad420
... I don't believe even a GS cert will clear into PN when gifted to let's say a non status friend (again when not on same PNR).
Incorrect -- prior to the gate GS-account supported upgrades clear into PN. However at the all travelers are ranked based on their status in the appropriate group and clear from a single list.

This is all covered in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...hensively.html -- So let's continue the discussion there.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 10, 2017 at 6:06 pm
Old Jul 10, 2017, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Why is it common sense?

Since you mention miles, common sense to me is that I can sell what I can/did buy.

(I personally realize that the T&C take away that right)
Who in their right mind would buy miles from the airline and then sell them to a broker? I'm not familiar with the exchange rates, but I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that such a transaction would probably be just as un-profitable as buying foreign currency at TravelEx and then turning around and selling the foreign currency back to TravelEx.

People who sell miles are selling miles they earned from flying. Those miles are free.

Here are a few things that you can buy but cannot sell:

tap water
cable TV service
internet service
gasoline
airline tickets (the normal ones that you pay money for)
medical advice
legal advice
Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis First
Just to clarify - you can sell tap water. There are a number of companies who bottle tap water and sell that. Not that it matters to discussion at hand

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Who in their right mind would buy miles from the airline and then sell them to a broker? I'm not familiar with the exchange rates, but I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that such a transaction would probably be just as un-profitable as buying foreign currency at TravelEx and then turning around and selling the foreign currency back to TravelEx.

People who sell miles are selling miles they earned from flying. Those miles are free.

Here are a few things that you can buy but cannot sell:

tap water
cable TV service
internet service
gasoline
airline tickets (the normal ones that you pay money for)
medical advice
legal advice
Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:44 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by denuaflier
Just to clarify - you can sell tap water. There are a number of companies who bottle tap water and sell that. Not that it matters to discussion at hand
Dammit, you beat me to it

So ya, not all "logical" assumptions are correct
Old Jul 11, 2017, 7:15 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Technically, Doctors sell medical advice. ^
Old Jul 11, 2017, 8:35 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
They buy it from medical school and sell it to the public.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
People who sell miles are selling miles they earned from flying.
... or from churning.

Those miles are free.
Yep.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Why is it common sense?

Since you mention miles, common sense to me is that I can sell what I can/did buy.

(I personally realize that the T&C take away that right)
It is "common sense" if one understands the real point of a "loyalty" program.

Miles are only valuable in bulk quantity. Thus they nudge one to flying all on one (or a small number of) airline.

If they were freely bartered, this would not work as one could swap miles with others to aggregate them.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
doctors == pilots

passengers == patients

Doctors and pilots have gone to school to gain the education and the right to sell their services to the public. Usually pilots are mere employees, but a group of pilots is free to start up their own airline and sell tickets to the public.

Passengers are not allowed to sell their FF miles, and patients are not allowed to take the medical advice given them and turn around and sell medical advice to other people. You can go to jail for practicing medicine without a license. No one goes to jail for selling FF miles! @:-)
Old Jul 11, 2017, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
let's get over this silly parsing of what we can sell and what we can't...Let's focus on the fact that UA says you can't sell, period. and what that means...whether or not is should be better communicated, whether or not UA is transparent enough or shouldn't be in regard to FF accounts, how severe the penalties should be, etc. etc.
AceReport likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 12:05 pm

Why is anyone even selling GPUs? If you have GPUs, 1K or GS, I'm sure you're financially well off
Old Aug 19, 2017, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by travel247
Why is anyone even selling GPUs? If you have GPUs, 1K or GS, I'm sure you're financially well off
I'm well off. I'll bend over to pick up a dime off the asphalt. I'm not dumb enough, however, to jeopardize my standing with an airline that provides me with my best travel options.
uanj and blueman2 like this.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Many people who are 1K/GS fly so much for work, often in F, that they don't want to travel for leisure, and believe that the GPUs are theirs (contrary to the T&Cs), so they think they can sell them and make a few dollars.

Also, I have met some 1Ks who have a nice middle class lifestyle, but would not say rich, if they think they could sell a handful for GPUs and make a few thousand dollars for the next vacation they would. Many 1Ks travel a lot for work but are by no means extremely wealthy.
Coskigirl and AceReport like this.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I'm well off. I'll bend over to pick up a dime off the asphalt. I'm not dumb enough, however, to jeopardize my standing with an airline that provides me with my best travel options.
+1
Old Aug 19, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Welcome to FT!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.