Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse

MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse

Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by jmcintosh
Honest question: can you give away GPUs here on FT or does that violate the rules?
You can give them away, but you are not allowed to receive anything in return (although I believe a "thank you" is still OK).
Xyzzy, choch345 and narvik like this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 3:51 am

Programs: UA 2MM, Life UC, Global Entry (UK citizen)
Originally Posted by fatlasercat
So if UA really offers GPUs for sale on ebay (to catch potential buyers)
.....I can't believe that even UA would do this, at least not since Jeff left!
However, I do believe they will have their "bounty hunter" (why do they need more than one low-salaried person?) respond to ads selling GPUs.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fatlasercat
So if UA really offers GPUs for sale on ebay (to catch potential buyers), that at the minimum violates eBay T&Cs. But offering something for sale that they don't intend to give. False advertising, fraud?
The departments at the programs that pursue program fraud, etc (not to say the particular action referenced,) on eBay have an agreement with eBay.
SS255 likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by EMan
You and your wife should be receiving Birthday & Xmas presents from UA! ��

You do know you can give them away to Anyone On The Planet and NOT be breaking any Rules!? (I.e. Isn't there a charity you'd like to support?........Make-A-Wish Foundation for instance?)
United does not facilitate / allow the United-processed donation of upgrade certificates as opposed to miles themselves. I asked a while back. Otherwise, we carefully upgrade family or co-workers. Do upgrades go to waste? Plenty. But we will not impair our status (both GS) over someone behaving stupidly on a gifted GPU/RPU. I have seen too much of said while traveling.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 7:33 am

Mileageplus account closed by MP Compliance

I was 1K for 5 years with United. I sold few upgrades online and recently I got an email from MP compliance saying my account is cancelled. I opened a new account and that was too cancelled; MP compliance folks emailed and shared a link that says I cannot have another account too. No communication by email since months from MP Compliance team.

question — anyone with similar situation? Is there any way I can get back to the program? Please share your experience.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 7:39 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by UAMP1K
I was 1K for 5 years with United. I sold few upgrades online and recently I got an email from MP compliance saying my account is cancelled. I opened a new account and that was too cancelled; MP compliance folks emailed and shared a link that says I cannot have another account too. No communication by email since months from MP Compliance team.

question — anyone with similar situation? Is there any way I can get back to the program? Please share your experience.
It's well established that you can't sell upgrades online. You can try writing a letter fessing up everything and apologizing, but don't expect a high chance of success.
RNE, ajGoes and TXJeepGuy like this.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 7:42 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
This forum has many stories identical to yours in it over the years.

You broke the rules. You got caught.

Time to find a new airline. As you've now seen twice, UA won't be taking you back.
RNE and ajGoes like this.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 7:45 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Sorry, but play stupid games, win stupid prizes. You can try writing an apology letter, but it's not likely to help.
Try AA or DL, though beware that AA compliance is far more vicious than UA.
RNE, ajGoes and TXJeepGuy like this.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 7:59 am

I never bothered to check the rules but no excuses here, I was wrong. Just trying to find ways if anybody got lucky. Thanks for your replies and advices.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I sold few upgrades online
Why would you do this?
Miggles and RNE like this.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 8:04 am

Why would you do this?

Well I has like several upgrades and came across folks selling on craigslist and ebay. Found a travel agent who who paid for those upgrades, so just got carried away...its simple but dangerous when I think back now.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 8:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I never bothered to check the rules but no excuses here, I was wrong. Just trying to find ways if anybody got lucky. Thanks for your replies and advices.
In some instances, a candid acceptance of responsibility and apology has resulted in being allowed to maintain a MP account.

In this case, attempting to open a new account after the old one was closed likely shuts the door on that possibility. Probably best to just move on to a new carrier and chalk this up to experience.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
In some instances, a candid acceptance of responsibility and apology has resulted in being allowed to maintain a MP account.

In this case, attempting to open a new account after the old one was closed likely shuts the door on that possibility. Probably best to just move on to a new carrier and chalk this up to experience.
Totally agree and accept that, after all its not the end of the world. I plan to try once to write a formal letter laying out facts.

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
This forum has many stories identical to yours in it over the years.

You broke the rules. You got caught.

Time to find a new airline. As you've now seen twice, UA won't be taking you back.
I was not at all aware that I cant open new account, actually the United customer service recommended me!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 20, 2019 at 9:22 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Nov 20, 2019, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I was not at all aware that I cant open new account, actually the United customer service recommended me!
Your days with United are over I'm afraid.
IAH-OIL-TRASH, RNE and Imstevek like this.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: united
If this happened, there's some serious corporate communications problems at UA.

If you decide to write an apology letter, include the opening of the account. You can say it was recommended to you by a CS agent (I suspect actually UA will want to know that), but apologize for it anyway.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.