Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2014, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by gobluetwo

snip

Of course, even just paying the annual fee counts as "activity", and you do get additional benefits.
-
Really? I have a couple of UA mileage cards. Each year that I pay the annual fee, I do not receive any miles related to the annual fee; I receive miles only on purchases. Chase Bank does not consider the annual fee as a purchase.

Am I missing out on this activity? My cards go back many years.
-
Old Jan 31, 2014, 6:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
Really? I have a couple of UA mileage cards. Each year that I pay the annual fee, I do not receive any miles related to the annual fee; I receive miles only on purchases. Chase Bank does not consider the annual fee as a purchase.

Am I missing out on this activity? My cards go back many years.
-
No, but the rules are that having an active Explorer or Club Card means your miles never expire. Of course if you're not US based you're SOL.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by invisible
So, where is the borderline? It is ok for your admin/secretary managing your account but how about if he/she manager 10 accounts?
The borderline is my secretary is booking travel from MY account in MY name. If she was booking travel from my account for numerous employees, that can be a problem. It's obviously not fraud if the free travel is booked for the account holder - regardless of who presses the buttons on the computer
Old Jan 31, 2014, 10:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
It's obviously not fraud if the free travel is booked for the account holder - regardless of who presses the buttons on the computer
It's not fraud, but it is technically a violation of the program rules.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 11:01 am

Programs: UA 1K
how is this violation??!!

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Originally Posted by invisible
So, where is the borderline? It is ok for your admin/secretary managing your account but how about if he/she manager 10 accounts?
The borderline is my secretary is booking travel from MY account in MY name. If she was booking travel from my account for numerous employees, that can be a problem. It's obviously not fraud if the free travel is booked for the account holder - regardless of who presses the buttons on the computer

so all the 1k or GS that have miles and books a lot of tickets for others are in violation if they let them book the ticket themselves if i give them my pin#?

How many tickets do other 1k or GS book tickets for others? I think i book like 3-5 tickets a year with miles and sometimes let my brother do it himself. This past year i think i booked like 9-12 tickets to lean my miles all for others so far. Am i in violation too?
So its ok if i book the tickets for others myself but if i let someone do for themselves its a violation?? All this is stupid.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 11:04 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by dcpdxtrans
it's called a license.
Surely that's only true if they spell this out in the T&Cs relating to the purchase. I'm not saying that they do or they don't but I can't say that I've ever noticed it.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 11:13 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by UA1KPHL
so all the 1k or GS that have miles and books a lot of tickets for others are in violation if they let them book the ticket themselves if i give them my pin#?
Yes.

So its ok if i book the tickets for others myself but if i let someone do for themselves its a violation?? All this is stupid.
It may be stupid, but you agreed to it when you signed up for your MP account.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 11:16 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

How many tickets do other 1k or GS book tickets for others? I think i book like 3-5 tickets a year with miles and sometimes let my brother do it himself. This past year i think i booked like 9-12 tickets to lean my miles all for others so far. Am i in violation too?
what's stupid? Has UA blocked anyone from doing what you describe?
What the OP was doing was far beyond what you are describing and all indications from UA what you are doing is no problem.

Originally Posted by Random Flyer
Surely that's only true if they spell this out in the T&Cs relating to the purchase. I'm not saying that they do or they don't but I can't say that I've ever noticed it.
a read of MileagePlus rules leaves little doubt.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
what's stupid? Has UA blocked anyone from doing what you describe?
I think what's stupid is that they could.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 7:13 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I think what's stupid is that they could.
The could & do do things a lot worse. Airlines can get away with almost anything they want these days. Thats why they give the big bucks to Congress. Next time an airline leaves you stranded in some far away place with a valid ticket and tells you to make your own way home (they will refund you what you already paid for the return), think how crazy that is compared to this
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:38 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat
Help! MP account closed by MPCompliance

Dear all, I'm in desperate for help!

Last edited by jimmyz; Jan 28, 2015 at 6:57 pm
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by jimmyz
...however, I did sell some upgrade advice to friends and some strangers last year and take money for the advice...
Define "upgrade advice". Were these strangers upgraded with instruments from your account?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by jimmyz
Is there any good way that I can speak to United and get my account back?
You can certainly call and ask, but it might be useful to come clean on exactly what you did if you want people here to be able to provide you with reasonable advice about the likelihood of it working.

As for the penalty being too harsh, it is exactly what they say they'll do if you break the rules. Obviously that's not good for you since you got caught* but it is exactly what publish in the program rules.

*Pending further clarification & details.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
More detailed info is needed.

Still, I am shocked that they would shut down a GS account.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
"...I did sell some upgrade advice to friends and some strangers last year..."

Very strange. If the 'strangers' or family ended up with any of your miles or instruments and you ended up with their money, you are out of luck. Sure am interested in hearing how you convinced strangers to give you money for only 'advice'.

"Pay me $500 and I'll advise you how to use the GPU I'm giving to you for free" isn't a workaround to selling mileage or instruments.

Edit: BINGO!

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jan 28, 2015 at 5:08 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.