Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse

MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse

Old Jan 29, 14, 9:01 pm
  #61  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 397
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
OP doesn't believe that it's worth his time to write in to UA with an explanation. I find that very odd. I have no idea what UA's security folks will do, but I can't imagine not sending in a webform acknowledging the error, noting that no other violations took place, e.g., the miles were not sold or bartered, and asking UA to reconsider.

But, that's up to OP.
I did try the web form and call center, and got nowhere. I mean it probably does not worth it to try fighting for this again - the chances are slim that leniency will be granted, plus I do not know where to escalate the request anyway other than perhaps writing to JEF/S?

Originally Posted by spin88 View Post
OP, do yourself a favor. If folks are flying SFO-HKG, book them on SQ or CX, they will have a much better flight experience and will thank you for not having them fly UAL any longer...
Indeed. I did a disservice to my colleagues. It it time to move on and right the wrongs now that the FFP incentive is no longer a factor.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 29, 14 at 9:16 pm Reason: merge
B747SP is offline  
Old Jan 29, 14, 9:26 pm
  #62  
Used to be 'IAD22066'
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: IAD
Programs: UA 1K AA
Posts: 279
Originally Posted by B747SP View Post
We have a small business with offices in both US and China. When flying employees to the US for business trips, I often recommend United flights and help the employees create and manage their MP accounts (taking care of expiration and award redemption for them). The miles are the employee's to keep. They usually just leave the miles in the accounts. Occasionally one may sponsor another employee's upgrade, or redeem an award ticket for friend/family.

Last week all our employee accounts were closed in a sudden. Only one employee received a warning email from United, saying that the accounts were managed by a single person and that was a violation of the MP rules. A total of about 10-12 employee accounts were all closed and miles confiscated without any warning. When I called MP customer service to ask, the agent said that she could not do anything about it. This is just mad! I look like a fool recommending our employees to fly united because of "better" FF program.
It sounds like you are being earnest in your efforts to manage their accounts. I would never trust my company with being able to touch my miles. They've stolen everything else that they can get their hands on. United is actually trying to do a favor for your employees by protecting them managers that have less integrity than yourself.
IADDCA is offline  
Old Jan 29, 14, 9:39 pm
  #63  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 49,318
Originally Posted by GoGoGoTom View Post
Thanks guys, I was just trying to see if UA will just 'recover' their damages or impose a much larger (or ultimate) penalty on naughty MP members
If you can make a case for a honest, unintentional mistake, then maybe just damages could be arranged.
If a deliberate attempt to deceive UA, expect much more.
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Jan 29, 14, 9:45 pm
  #64  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: ORD / DUB / LHR
Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Posts: 8,243
Meanwhile, on United's website in the "good" old days 10 years ago:

The Mileage Plus Program is maintained for the benefit and participation of individual members only. Only individuals are eligible for Mileage Plus membership, and each member may maintain only one account. Duplicate accounts will be subject to cancellation. Only the member named on the account will be entitled access to personal account information.
https://web.archive.org/web/20040615...2,1155,00.html

Figured this was worth pointing out for those complaining above about UA's "new" rules.
star_world is offline  
Old Jan 29, 14, 9:54 pm
  #65  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cypress, TX
Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold 1 Presidence Circle
Posts: 662
Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
Not a chance in hell he would post in this thread on this topic


Seriously - no word from UA Insider on a topic as hot as this? Sad... I have sent bunch of PMs to UAInsider on other issues but nada. Aaron claims that he is rounding up his staff - that was a year ago...

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 29, 14 at 11:42 pm Reason: inappropriate
TXbizman is offline  
Old Jan 29, 14, 9:58 pm
  #66  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 43,494
Originally Posted by TXbizman View Post
Seriously - no word from UA Insider on a topic as hot as this? Sad... I have sent bunch of PMs to UAInsider on other issues but nada. Aaron claims that he is rounding up his staff - that was a year ago...
This is not an appropriate thread for a UA Insider post. It relates to the specifics of particular account activity and raises no issue of general concern. I also doubt that UA - nor any other company - has any interest in publicly sharing its internal policies and procedures for identifying potentially fraudulent activity.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 29, 14 at 11:42 pm Reason: quote
Kacee is online now  
Old Jan 29, 14, 10:02 pm
  #67  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Programs: UA S, Marriott P
Posts: 1,104
is it possible that one of the employees was unhappy with you/miles for some reason and informed UA? In this case UA will never disclose what led to closure.
dsauch is offline  
Old Jan 29, 14, 10:06 pm
  #68  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,933
Originally Posted by TXbizman View Post
Seriously - no word from UA Insider on a topic as hot as this? Sad... I have sent bunch of PMs to UAInsider on other issues but nada. Aaron claims that he is rounding up his staff - that was a year ago...
I agree with Kacee above --- There is no way that the Frauds Department of any company would divulge what triggered an audit, and Aaron is definitely NOT expected to weigh in on such a topic.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 29, 14 at 11:43 pm Reason: tos compliance/quote
LilAbner is offline  
Old Jan 29, 14, 10:14 pm
  #69  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cypress, TX
Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold 1 Presidence Circle
Posts: 662
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
This is not an appropriate thread for a UA Insider post. It relates to the specifics of particular account activity and raises no issue of general concern. I also doubt that UA - nor any other company - has any interest in publicly sharing its internal policies and procedures for identifying potentially fraudulent activity.
I see your point and noted. However, this relates to all of us managing 'spouse/children/infants/OP's small business account, etc' and UA need to explain what is right and wrong. No child's account managed by parents are allowed? No admin managing their manager's accounts, ect?

UA Insider or someone need to clarify or else we all making 'assumptions'...
TXbizman is offline  
Old Jan 29, 14, 10:20 pm
  #70  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 43,494
Originally Posted by TXbizman View Post
I see your point and noted. However, this relates to all of us managing 'spouse/children/infants/OP's small business account, etc' and UA need to explain what is right and wrong. No child's account managed by parents are allowed? No admin managing their manager's accounts, ect?

UA Insider or someone need to clarify or else we all making 'assumptions'...
Got it. We were talking about different issues then. Seems fair to assume UA is not in the habit of going after family members who share account access, otherwise we'd certainly have heard about it by now. Would be much easier though, if like BA, they allowed family accounts.
Kacee is online now  
Old Jan 29, 14, 10:24 pm
  #71  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cypress, TX
Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold 1 Presidence Circle
Posts: 662
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Got it. We were talking about different issues then. Seems fair to assume UA is not in the habit of going after family members who share account access, otherwise we'd certainly have heard about it by now. Would be much easier though, if like BA, they allowed family accounts.
Got it - not sure about BA or whatever but this being a different issue, I am fine. I rest my case. Move on pls...
TXbizman is offline  
Old Jan 29, 14, 11:55 pm
  #72  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Programs: Star Alliance
Posts: 5,080
Originally Posted by villox View Post
I think part of the problem here is that it was 12 people with different last names sharing the same address
2000 people are working in my office and number of them, like me, have their mailing address registered to the office. Should UA now close all those accounts registered to the same address?
invisible is offline  
Old Jan 29, 14, 11:56 pm
  #73  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 43,494
Originally Posted by invisible View Post
2000 people are working in my office and number of them, like me, have their mailing address registered to the office. Should UA now close all those accounts registered to the same address?
Do you all use the exact same PIN to access your accounts?
Kacee is online now  
Old Jan 30, 14, 12:03 am
  #74  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Programs: Star Alliance
Posts: 5,080
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Do you all use the exact same PIN to access your accounts?
Obviously not.
invisible is offline  
Old Jan 30, 14, 12:20 am
  #75  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 43,494
Originally Posted by invisible View Post
Obviously not.
Exactly.
Kacee is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: