Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2017, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Chinese say "Kill the chicken to warn the monkey". So, in the Internet age, UA knows if they make some examples of the chickens, it will stop the monkeys However, if UA let the chicken slide, the monkeys will have no fear...
Old Jan 1, 2017, 10:16 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
I've upgraded friends, used nearly all of my miles for flights for my family, and nobody, ever, has had United ask them any questions about their relationship to the person throwing the awards their way.
Originally Posted by raehl311
I have burned piles of award tickets / upgrade certs over the years on people not obviously related to me and have never had any hint of curiosity on the part of the airline to me or any traveler about it. Nobody has ever been asked anything at check-in.
Those of us that have been around the UA forum a while might recall this 2006 thread where the flyer, ticketed by her cousin's work friend to fly to a wedding in Australia, didn't know anything about who provided her the award ticket and was denied boarding. It's a classic case of what can go wrong at the airline counter if you don't have all the answers.

Today I get a call from my friend saying that his cousin is stuck in the airport as they would not honor her reservation because of fraud allegations. She did not know my name when she checked in, we have never met, and they told her the only way she was going to Australia is if she paid for a ticket. I called United and told them the story and the only answer I got was the fraud department would be sending a letter in the next 5 days. I could not speak to a person in the fraud department and the decision was final.

So my friend’s cousin will now miss her sister’s wedding as she can’t afford the $2700 fare.
Award Ticket Fraud?
Old Jan 1, 2017, 11:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Kacee
And that makes sense given the factual vaccuum. I'm reacting to the continued insistence that "no miles were sold" after it was repeatedly pointed out that offering miles for sale is a violation.
I understand and I'm not arguing. The way sybloc wrote his replies did not help himself, but that alone shouldnt be enough to make a guy guilty.

Originally Posted by username
The Chinese say "Kill the chicken to warn the monkey". So, in the Internet age, UA knows if they make some examples of the chickens, it will stop the monkeys However, if UA let the chicken slide, the monkeys will have no fear...
Perhaps. I'm sure it's easier for UA's fraud team to only have to deal with a person once than potentially twice. However, Giving one warning just delays and potentially reduces the "chicken killing" not eliminate it.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 11:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by tom911
Those of us that have been around the UA forum a while might recall this 2006 thread where the flyer, ticketed by her cousin's work friend to fly to a wedding in Australia, didn't know anything about who provided her the award ticket and was denied boarding. It's a classic case of what can go wrong at the airline counter if you don't have all the answers.

Award Ticket Fraud?
I'll have to read through that thread. What was the final outcome? Were any rules actually broken? If no, what happened with the pax that missed the wedding? That is why I think "warnings" are more reasonable than making snap decisions without even talking to the suspected party. UA is capable of making errors.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 11:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by eng3
I understand and I'm not arguing. The way sybloc wrote his replies did not help himself, but that alone shouldnt be enough to make a guy guilty.
And I was agreeing that your hesitation to convict is fair and judicious given the absence of hard facts
Old Jan 1, 2017, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by raehl311
I have burned piles of award tickets / upgrade certs over the years on people not obviously related to me and have never had any hint of curiosity on the part of the airline to me or any traveler about it. Nobody has ever been asked anything at check-in.
Indeed. This all reminds me of when Bob Probert got caught with cocaine in his underwear crossing between Windsor and Detroit. I knew an awful lot of people who made that crossing an awful lot of times, none of them carrying anything in their underwear, and not once did any of them have their underwear inspected.

Nothing to see here, move along. Future posters: please stop wasting people's time with these "after 40 replies I'll admit that I was up to something that violated the T&C" stories.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
The other thing to note is that we FTers have above average knowledge of United policies, procedures, etc. You'd be surprised how many family members or coworkers that are GM, Gold, 1K, GS even that I've talked to that don't know they they can't sell/barter miles.
sorry, claiming ignorance isn't really an excuse. UA makes one consent to the rules each year (when you sign into your MP account online). Those who choose not to read the rules aren't exempt from them, nor should they really be. UA gets to decide whether to give out warnings or not - perhaps in some cases that aren't agregious they do. Sounds like UA had god cause for this, and they knew it.

In the most recent case, it's clear that the OP was taking advantage of the system through churning, MS, etc. UA is very well aware of this - in fact, they can tell where the miles come from, and I'd be surprised if they didn't use this as a factor. While they claim that UA will be the ones to lose, it sounds to me like they aren't - here we have someone who sounds like they aren't bringing much value to UA. Using these tactics to 'earn' horsds of miles, then trying to sell them to others doesn't sound like someone that UA would lose on after firing them.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 11:45 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I'll have to read through that thread. What was the final outcome? Were any rules actually broken?
The member disappeared after two posts and never returned with an update.

If no, what happened with the pax that missed the wedding?
They bought a last-minute consolidator ticket and still got there.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 12:29 am
Suspended

Programs: 1K---2,909,450 BIS miles
This guy has been toying with you boys long enough --- He got busted for the highlighted area of the below rules.

The sale or barter or attempted sale or barter of any such mileage, certificates, awards or benefits other than as authorized and/or sponsored by United is expressly prohibited. Any mileage, certificates, awards or benefits transferred, assigned or sold in violation of the Program Rules, in addition to exposing the member to the penalties otherwise associated with violations, may be confiscated or canceled.

He offered or advertised them for sale and a UA Narc somehow found out about his game (probably inquired about them and found out who he was) and that's all it took. ATTEMPT (in itself) IS VERBOTTEN!!!

Last edited by MY-OTHER-BROTHER-"TED"; Jan 2, 2017 at 12:35 am
Old Jan 2, 2017, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by sybloc
Hardly. I'm based out of SFO. I'll never set foot on a United plane again. Especially now with the Virgin/Alaska merger.
For future reference:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...ccount+closure
Old Jan 2, 2017, 6:09 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Card churning correlation likely

People seem to assume it's United going after the MP award abuse, when it may in fact be Chase who's the driving force, going after card churners. That would help to explain how the abuse is found, as there's likely a high correlation between the two (card churning and MP award abuse). Card churning is likely fairly easy to find.

Ironic that my screen is presently filled with Chase CC offers...
Old Jan 2, 2017, 6:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
People seem to assume it's United going after the MP award abuse, when it may in fact be Chase who's the driving force, going after card churners. That would help to explain how the abuse is found, as there's likely a high correlation between the two (card churning and MP award abuse). Card churning is likely fairly easy to find.

Ironic that my screen is presently filled with Chase CC offers...
Definitely not, it's United.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 6:44 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Definitely not, it's United.
Absolutely...
Chase closes down churners and manufacturered spenders with the cancellation of all their Chase-issued cards
Old Jan 2, 2017, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe
sorry, claiming ignorance isn't really an excuse. ....
That isnt what I said at all.

After reading through the first few pages of that thread I'm even more convinced that UA should modify its practices. It gives any excellent example of cases where one can be innocent and entirely screwed by UA. Whether they start giving warnings or whatever, they should at least talk to the person first before taking drastic action.

Originally Posted by MY-OTHER-BROTHER-"TED"
This guy has been toying with you boys long enough ...
I've moved on from sybloc, I hope whatever happens with his acct fits whatever he did or did not do. I was just making general comments regarding UA's handling of suspected fraud cases and my opinion of what they should do to improve. But I agree, its time to move on, we can debate as long as we want, UA will and forever do whatever they want and nothing we say will make much of a difference.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold

Award Ticket Fraud?
Well I've definitely never bought tickets for people who didn't know where they came from...

After reading through the first few pages of that thread I'm even more convinced that UA should modify its practices. It gives any excellent example of cases where one can be innocent and entirely screwed by UA. Whether they start giving warnings or whatever, they should at least talk to the person first before taking drastic action.
Considering that was from 2006, a DECADE ago, what's to say they haven't?

I'm sure they at minimum have more sophisticated methods than back then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.