Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2015, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
One that was on e-Bay has disappeared. But now somebody else thinks he's "figured it out". He is selling "Instructions on how to get and upgrade for $250" and you pay $0.99 for the "instructions". And I'm sure the instructions include paying him.
If your above assertion is true (that is, there's a payment due to the seller in addition to the stated eBay auction price), not only is he defrauding the airline, but also eBay, by not listing the full price of what he's selling as part of the auction item. Outstanding!
Old Feb 3, 2015, 8:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
People way over-personalize their relationship with air carriers, including UA. The notion that UA management is plotting to "get" them is juvenile.

UA has simply made a business judgment that when you catch someone, you deal with it. The impact on the one scammer is not the reason for spending money on anti-fraud efforts. It is the general deterrence achieved when the story gets around.

Don't think that there aren't a whole bunch of people out there who think that they are smarter than the average bear because they have figured out that by not selling the GPU, but rather the advice, they have not violated the MP rules.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dank0014
Kind of interesting that even eBay would allow such a transaction. I did see them listed on Craigslist though:
And JLAforums.com in December 2014, and the same wording was found on some site called bidbut.com from late 2012 or Jan 2013. My guess is that this guy has been at it for a while, trying to make a few bucks with his unredeemed GPUs, and maybe RPUs.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
And JLAforums.com in December 2014, and the same wording was found on some site called bidbut.com from late 2012 or Jan 2013. My guess is that this guy has been at it for a while, trying to make a few bucks with his unredeemed GPUs, and maybe RPUs.
could be a broker, which of course doesnt make it any better. The OP could have also sold to broker and been given up by such. Or even given up by OP's "client" who got caught.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
I do recall in the past people selling white envelopes for $250 and including free upgrade vouchers with them...
Old Feb 3, 2015, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by dsauch
could be a broker, which of course doesnt make it any better. The OP could have also sold to broker and been given up by such. Or even given up by OP's "client" who got caught.
The OP could be United Air Lines warning FT-ers to follow the rules.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 3:13 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by bruceba
The OP could be United Air Lines warning FT-ers to follow the rules.
Not likely if you look at the posting history by the OP. It would also be against FT ToS.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
So how does UA distinguish between someone giving away GPUs as presents to family/coworkers and selling them?

Guilty until proven innocent?
Old Feb 3, 2015, 4:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by rankourabu
So how does UA distinguish between someone giving away GPUs as presents to family/coworkers and selling them?
I've never had a problem with legitimately gifted instruments, giving or receiving.

But when UA sees an ad on e-bay or craigslist, that's probably an indication there's a violation
Old Feb 3, 2015, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
But when UA sees an ad on e-bay or craigslist, that's probably an indication there's a violation
This. When you put it up on a public web site for sale or auction, chances are it's not to gift it to friends/family.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, Life UC, Global Entry (UK citizen)
2 points:

1. Yes, Guilty until proven innocent is precisely the case. If you mention a dollar figure and GPU in the same ad, you're deemed Guilty! (It doesn't matter what the money is associated with in the ad.)

2. To be clear, it's not necessary to only gift GPU's to family/co-workers/friends. Here's the language from united.com:
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...wupgrades.aspx

"Sponsoring another member

Premier members may request an upgrade for any other traveler using a Global Premier Upgrade, even if they are not traveling on the same reservation."

Thus, you are perfectly entitled to give away your unused GPUs to John or Jane Doe before they expire.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 7:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rankourabu

Guilty until proven innocent?
When was the last time someone came in here protesting an account being shut down and did not admit to having actually broken the rules. I cannot remember such an instance.

Seems that UA gets it right pretty much every time on this stuff.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, Life UC, Global Entry (UK citizen)
Originally Posted by sbm12
...Seems that UA gets it right pretty much every time on this stuff.
I don't think it's Rocket Science. Can you think of a legitimate reason to mention $$$ and GPU in the same paragraph in an Ad? (I think you have a much better chance of getting off a Speeding Ticket! )

Last edited by EMan; Feb 4, 2015 at 9:44 am
Old Feb 4, 2015, 9:23 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by EMan
I don't think it's Rocket Science. Can you think of a legitimate reason to mention $$$ and GPU in the same paragraph in an Ad? (I think you have a much better chance of getting off a Speeding Ticket! )
That is probably because UA is judge, juror and executioner. The OP knew clearly what he was doing and identified what he perceived was a loop hole. He did not sell the GPU but sold the "advice" so thought he was okay.

There are several examples in trade where the commodity itself is not charged for but a commission is taken for the advice and guidance on obtaining the commodity (which you may or may not pay for independently); the reality of course for the person paying is that it is the commodity you are after. Many politicians, officials and establishments accept all sorts of 'gifts' or "tips" in exchange for favors or services; provided the two are not explicitly connected then they mostly get away with it (but in practice it is no more than a bribe).

While UA remain correct in that they can close down any account literally at will (and members of MP agree to that term), I doubt one could go so far as to saying he was committing fraud (as some have suggested) and doubt a prosecution would win a fraud case (and if one does it will probably be that if he sold advice, but did not render it, rather than the sale of a GPU).
Old Feb 4, 2015, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ani90
That is probably because UA is judge, juror and executioner. The OP knew clearly what he was doing and identified what he perceived was a loop hole. He did not sell the GPU but sold the "advice" so thought he was okay.

There are several examples in trade where the commodity itself is not charged for but a commission is taken for the advice and guidance on obtaining the commodity (which you may or may not pay for independently); the reality of course for the person paying is that it is the commodity you are after. Many politicians, officials and establishments accept all sorts of 'gifts' or "tips" in exchange for favors or services; provided the two are not explicitly connected then they mostly get away with it (but in practice it is no more than a bribe).

While UA remain correct in that they can close down any account literally at will (and members of MP agree to that term), I doubt one could go so far as to saying he was committing fraud (as some have suggested) and doubt a prosecution would win a fraud case (and if one does it will probably be that if he sold advice, but did not render it, rather than the sale of a GPU).
I don't think anyone said there was any "criminal" fraud involved. But the guy was definitely scamming because he knew what he was doing was against the rules.

And remember what happens to those politicians you mention. They don't get prosecuted. But they don't get re-elected either (unless they are in Chicago or Lousiana).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.