Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse

MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse

Old Jan 27, 2022, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by sashacraig
"Without more details it is hard to offer advice" - it's pretty straightforward - upgrades were applied to others' flights with compensation.
"Feigning non-awareness of the rules has not work." - I am guessing this was said dozens of times and finds no sympathy here but I truly wasn't aware of the fact it is a formal policy violation with such severe consequences.

I don't understand that it is AND, at the same time, there are literally dozens and dozens of listings on eBay offering upgrades. I can guarantee you non of the sellers are aware of the consequences, why would anyone do that?? It almost feels like United is purposely not making this rule and their 'Punishment' very well known. They'd rather just keep cancelling people and taking away miles. If their objective was to stop this, they'd simply publicize the rules and the consequences.
Here ya go: MileagePlus Program Rules (united.com)

David
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 8:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
there are literally dozens and dozens of listings on eBay offering upgrades. I can guarantee you non of the sellers are aware of the consequences, why would anyone do that??
You'd be surprised. Many of them are selling someone else's upgrades (like mileage brokers), so they have no skin in the game. Many of them just don't believe United will either figure out who they are or take action.

Would be great to hear from 'them' though
The people who have tried and failed probably don't visit this forum any more, so you're stuck with us.
wrp96, chavala, benewr and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
That's very comforting . Would be great to hear from 'them' though
Go for it:

Disputes
  1. You agree that you will notify United of any dispute by submitting your concerns via the form at https://www.united.com/en/us/customercare, including a description of the nature of the dispute. Following delivery of such submission, you agree to allow United a period of sixty (60) days to provide a substantive response and to try to resolve the dispute, as limited by paragraph 2 of these Rules, prior to filing any lawsuit, arbitration, administrative or any other proceeding against United related to the dispute. COMPLIANCE WITH THE NOTIFICATION PROCEDURES SET FORTH HEREIN SHALL BE A CONDITION PRECEDENT TO YOUR RIGHT TO FILE ANY LAWSUIT, ARBITRATION, ADMINISTRATIVE OR ANY OTHER PROCEEDING AGAINST UNITED. YOU AGREE THAT YOUR FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH THE NOTIFICATION PROCEDURES SET FORTH HEREIN PRIOR TO FILING A LAWSUIT, ARBITRATION, ADMINISTRATIVE OR OTHER PROCEEDING AGAINST UNITED SHALL ENTITLE UNITED TO RECOVER REASONABLE ATTORNEYS’ FEES INCURRED IN DEFENDING THE LAWSUIT, ARBITRATION, ADMINISTRATIVE OR ANY OTHER PROCEEDING.

David
Old Jan 27, 2022, 8:43 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
That's very comforting . Would be great to hear from 'them' though
I’m not sure there is much accurate unbiased information to glean.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 8:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... I can guarantee you non of the sellers are aware of the consequences, why would anyone do that?? ...
Guarantee many do, why go to the ruse of "selling advice" (and BTW, the upgrades included)?? That is not fooling anyone

...It almost feels like United is purposely not making this rule and their 'Punishment' very well known. They'd rather just keep cancelling people and taking away miles. If their objective was to stop this, they'd simply publicize the rules and the consequences. ..
This approach has been used and failed -- the notifications are all over the place.

...Would be great to hear from 'them' though ...
They no longer are here as they are no longer users of MP benefits due to their actions.
SPN Lifer, wrp96 and DrinkSlinger like this.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 8:48 pm

Programs: Marriott, Southwest
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
The people who have tried and failed probably don't visit this forum any more, so you're stuck with us.
LOL, yes, that makes sense. It doesn't seem my practical question addressed to people who actually tried will get any responses from those people. Understood!!
SPN Lifer and kirkwoodj like this.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
"Without more details it is hard to offer advice" - it's pretty straightforward - upgrades were applied to others' flights with compensation.
That essentially makes it game over. You can always plead your case with whoever notified you but I suspect they don't take these closures lightly - as in, not a 1 time occurrence and they see a track record. Let us know how it turns out.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
It almost feels like United is purposely not making this rule and their 'Punishment' very well known. They'd rather just keep cancelling people and taking away miles. If their objective was to stop this, they'd simply publicize the rules and the consequences.
You think their goal is to entrap customers who spent many thousands of dollars with them? Seems like a bad business strategy to me.

They do publicize the rules.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...and-terms.html
“The sale, barter or other transfer or attempted sale, barter or other transfer of any mileage, certificates, PlusPoints, awards, benefits or status, other than as authorized and/or sponsored by United, is expressly prohibited. Any mileage, certificates, PlusPoints, awards, benefits or status sold, bartered or otherwise transferred is in violation of the rules and any accounts or members involved in such sales, barters or other transfers may be subject to United’s Remedies. The acquisition, use, transfer or attempted acquisition, use or transfer of mileage, certificates, awards, benefits or status that have been acquired by purchase, barter or other transfer in violation of the rules may result in United’s exercise of United’s Remedies.”
It’s been a while since I had the option of upgrading another passenger who wasn’t on my itinerary (during the days of systemwide regional upgrades, when I was a 1K), but I vaguely recall that the upgrade flow had a warning about sales of upgrades. Not sure if that’s still there.

For what it’s worth, pretty much all airlines have the same rules against sales of miles and upgrades, so if you change to another program, don’t make the same mistake again.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 9:06 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
LOL, yes, that makes sense. It doesn't seem my practical question addressed to people who actually tried will get any responses from those people. Understood!!
It’s not all doom and gloom, one thing you can do now is pick another airline and try to status match. What routes do you fly?

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
That essentially makes it game over. You can always plead your case with whoever notified you but I suspect they don't take these closures lightly - as in, not a 1 time occurrence and they see a track record. Let us know how it turns out.
Zero chance they budge. The deterrent loses all effectiveness if they do.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 27, 2022 at 9:15 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 27, 2022, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
I agree - but it costs you nothing to appeal. They've heard it all.

I wouldn't be surprised if a VP signs off on a forfeiture - and they build up lengthy dossier on the infractions.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I am guessing this was said dozens of times and finds no sympathy here but I truly wasn't aware of the fact it is a formal policy violation with such severe consequences.

I don't understand that it is AND, at the same time, there are literally dozens and dozens of listings on eBay offering upgrades. I can guarantee you non of the sellers are aware of the consequences, why would anyone do that?? It almost feels like United is purposely not making this rule and their 'Punishment' very well known. They'd rather just keep cancelling people and taking away miles. If their objective was to stop this, they'd simply publicize the rules and the consequences.
While you ‘truly’ may not be aware, that doesn’t change the rules. Tell the cop you didn’t know the speed limit was 25 mph less than you were driving, and I don’t think that will get you very far either. Speed limits are posted, and ‘not seeing’ it isn’t an excuse, nor makes the danger of it any less.

UA does have the terms of MP membership available, and I get a warning once every year at login (for me, it around March) where before I can continue, I have to agree I’ve seen them (there’s also a thread with someone, every year, asking what this is about, etc.). Rules are there if you want to read them. If you don’t read them, doesn’t mean you are exempt from them.

I do have to say, that while we can only help so much without details, I’m impressed that at least you are not denying wrongdoing. Most who come in here start with a story that tries to make others feel bad for them, denying they did anything wrong, and then eventually, after a bunch of prodding will finally admit what really caused it. That is not a way to get sympathy from most regulars in here, and definitely not from UA.
SPN Lifer, DJ_Iceman, jtet and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 9:30 pm

Programs: Marriott, Southwest
It’s not all doom and gloom, one thing you can do now is pick another airline and try to status match. What routes do you fly?
- Not sure how I can do status match if I can't show them my United status any longer? I fly literally everywhere, about half of it coast to coast.

- See, that's exactly my point, it doesn't seem like a deterrent - they don't really publicize it, I personally didn't know they do it until it happened to me. It feels very much like an entrapment, not a deterrent.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 9:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
- .... It feels very much like an entrapment,....
What is considered to be entrapment?
In other words, entrapment typically occurs when law enforcement agents induce an innocent person to commit a crime they otherwise wouldn't commit. Common entrapment techniques include persuasion, threats, harassment, and fraud. The opportunity to commit a crime does not constitute entrapment..
How did UA induce you to break their rules?

=======================
Note the poster has hit the FT limit of 5 posts in the first 24 hours for a new poster and therefor will not be apply to reply for 24 hours.
And please do not open a new user account as that is a violation of FT rules.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Jan 27, 2022, 9:48 pm

- See, that's exactly my point, it doesn't seem like a deterrent - they don't really publicize it, I personally didn't know they do it until it happened to me. It feels very much like an entrapment, not a deterrent.
Entrapment is a crime - and you committed no crime - therefore, no entrapment.

Regardless - not knowing the rule is generally not a defense but you can always fall on your sword and give it your best shot. We've all accepted the MileagePlus terms and conditions whether or not one reads them or not.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Entrapment would be if UA sent emails to all their registered users (from a non-UA email address) asking people if they would like to sell their upgrades.

It should be common knowledge that selling a benefit from a loyalty program to other people in place of the airline selling them the same thing themselves would make the business angry.

Sorry you had to learn the hard way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.