Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse

MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse

Old Feb 1, 2015, 10:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TomMM
My question is this: If a person with no status were to buy a GPU/RPU and the upgrade didn't clear at booking, what chance would they have of it ever clearing? Would a non-status person even make it on the upgrade list?
For long-haul flights they would absolutely still be on the list and the upgrade could clear at any point.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 11:01 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
piGS get fat, hoGS get slaughtered.
Now that was clever
Old Feb 1, 2015, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fastair
Slightly off topic, but OP, do you report these sales to the IRS as income?
And along these lines, did the OP actually give any advice? I seriously doubt it. Both buyer and seller knew exactly what they were doing. Buyer wanted a GPU and was willing to pay for it. Seller wanted to sell a GPU and was willing to skirt the rules. I can almost guarantee not a single word of advice was given with this transaction.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Baze
... I can almost guarantee not a single word of advice was given with this transaction.
Well, except for where/how to send the money...
Old Feb 1, 2015, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Well, except for where/how to send the money...
I stand corrected
Old Feb 1, 2015, 1:19 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
And along these lines, did the OP actually give any advice?
"Book a flight with R inventory."
Old Feb 1, 2015, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Yes, but did they actually give that advice. I never said there was no advice to give, just that probably no advice was given worthy of being paid for.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 1:36 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
PN. (The OP is GS).
Old Feb 1, 2015, 2:11 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Ari
PN. (The OP is GS).
Point!
Old Feb 1, 2015, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
And the fact the offer was nominally framed as sale of "advice" rather than sale of a GPU is pretty much conclusive evidence that the seller knew sale of a GPU is improper.
Yep. This turns what might possibly have been a "two strike" issue into a "one strike" issue. Not only should a GS know better, UA has proof that they did in fact know better and did it anyway.

Last edited by Steve M; Feb 1, 2015 at 7:58 pm
Old Feb 1, 2015, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, Life UC, Global Entry (UK citizen)
Originally Posted by Steve M
Yep. This turns what might possibly have been a "two strike" issue into a "one strike" issue. Not only [i]should[i] a GS know better, UA has proof that they did in fact know better and did it anyway.
Maybe he did, maybe he didn't.

Consider this scenario:
Let's assume I haven't read the T&C and I want to sell a GPU, so I google "UA GPU sale" on the web and get web sites of people selling their GPUs. So they say they are charging $400 for "Advice" and giving the GPU for free. So, I think
"Okay, since everybody's doing it that way, that must be the way to sell your GPUs legitimately". Why would I suddenly think all these people were breaking the Rules?

I don't think there's any conclusive evidence that OP knew it was wrong.....And, almost certainly he did not know what would happen if UA busted him.
However, one thing is clear: UA can make some serious money by busting 1K/GS flyers and closing their accounts. Why put out a big public notice if you can make money by keeping it quiet? A darker question might be: Does UA really want 1K/GS flyers to stop selling/bartering/trading their GPUs?!

P.s. BTW, how many people read and understand all the Terms & Conditions on anything they sign up for? (I.e. Credit cards, software, retail products, etc.)

Last edited by EMan; Feb 1, 2015 at 4:22 pm
Old Feb 1, 2015, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EMan
Maybe he did, maybe he didn't.

Consider this scenario:
Let's assume I haven't read the T&C and I want to sell a GPU, so I google "UA GPU sale" on the web and get web sites of people selling their GPUs. So they say they are charging $400 for "Advice" and giving the GPU for free. So, I think
"Okay, since everybody's doing it that way, that must be the way to sell your GPUs legitimately". Why would I suddenly think all these people were breaking the Rules?

I don't think there's any conclusive evidence that OP knew it was wrong.....And, almost certainly he did not know what would happen if UA busted him.
However, one thing is clear: UA can make some serious money by busting 1K/GS flyers and closing their accounts. Why put out a big public notice if you can make money by keeping it quiet?

P.s. BTW, how many people read and understand all the Terms & Conditions on anything you sign up for? (I.e. Credit cards, software, retail products, etc.)
Ignorance of the law/rules is no excuse. Try claiming ignorance in a court of law, doesn't work very well. Not everybody knows all the rules but not knowing a rule is not an excuse either. If I did not know it was against the rules and did as you say, I would be mighty suspicious and think, why don't they just sell them, why are they selling advice and giving them away for free. Common sense tells me this is fishy.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 4:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This one is simple. OP got caught committing fraud and UA fired him. He's lucky that all he lost was his miles, his certs and his status. Now he's gonna face his customers seeking refunds when their UG's are canceled. Presumably he's got the smarts to now report the sales as income and pay taxes on them while he's still got time.

If the underlying miles/certs were earned on tickets paid for by an employer, he may well face an employer who doesn't trust employees who scam others while on company "time".

OP needs a lawyer. Not to sue UA, but to defend himself.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 4:51 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Often1
Now he's gonna face his customers seeking refunds when their UG's are canceled.
I'd be more worried about UA coming after him for the costs of past flights. If they can track down and get statements from those that have bought past travel advice, and surely they know who these flyers are with I.D. now required of everyone, he could be in a world of hurt.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by EMan
Why would I suddenly think all these people were breaking the Rules?
That's exactly the kind of gullibility these people are taking advantage of. Do you also trust all those Nigerian princes giving money away? After all, if there are so many, they must all be legit, right?

Common sense tells me this is fishy.
Exactly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.