Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse

MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse

Old Feb 1, 15, 10:56 am
  #166  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 69,165
Originally Posted by TomMM View Post
My question is this: If a person with no status were to buy a GPU/RPU and the upgrade didn't clear at booking, what chance would they have of it ever clearing? Would a non-status person even make it on the upgrade list?
For long-haul flights they would absolutely still be on the list and the upgrade could clear at any point.
sbm12 is offline  
Old Feb 1, 15, 11:01 am
  #167  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lahaina, HI & Los Angeles, CA
Programs: UA GS
Posts: 2,268
Originally Posted by LaserSailor View Post
piGS get fat, hoGS get slaughtered.
Now that was clever
LAXOGG is offline  
Old Feb 1, 15, 11:24 am
  #168  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 10,582
Originally Posted by fastair View Post
Slightly off topic, but OP, do you report these sales to the IRS as income?
And along these lines, did the OP actually give any advice? I seriously doubt it. Both buyer and seller knew exactly what they were doing. Buyer wanted a GPU and was willing to pay for it. Seller wanted to sell a GPU and was willing to skirt the rules. I can almost guarantee not a single word of advice was given with this transaction.
Baze is offline  
Old Feb 1, 15, 12:48 pm
  #169  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 10,040
Originally Posted by Baze View Post
... I can almost guarantee not a single word of advice was given with this transaction.
Well, except for where/how to send the money...
IAH-OIL-TRASH is offline  
Old Feb 1, 15, 12:54 pm
  #170  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 10,582
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
Well, except for where/how to send the money...
I stand corrected
Baze is offline  
Old Feb 1, 15, 1:19 pm
  #171  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: GVA (Greater Vancouver Area)
Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Posts: 49,689
Originally Posted by Baze View Post
And along these lines, did the OP actually give any advice?
"Book a flight with R inventory."
mahasamatman is offline  
Old Feb 1, 15, 1:21 pm
  #172  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 10,582
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
"Book a flight with R inventory."
Yes, but did they actually give that advice. I never said there was no advice to give, just that probably no advice was given worthy of being paid for.
Baze is offline  
Old Feb 1, 15, 1:36 pm
  #173  
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,053
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
"Book a flight with R inventory."
PN. (The OP is GS).
Ari is offline  
Old Feb 1, 15, 2:11 pm
  #174  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: GVA (Greater Vancouver Area)
Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Posts: 49,689
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
PN. (The OP is GS).
Point!
mahasamatman is offline  
Old Feb 1, 15, 2:40 pm
  #175  
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Houston, TX, USA
Programs: SPG Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, DL Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Posts: 7,365
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
And the fact the offer was nominally framed as sale of "advice" rather than sale of a GPU is pretty much conclusive evidence that the seller knew sale of a GPU is improper.
Yep. This turns what might possibly have been a "two strike" issue into a "one strike" issue. Not only should a GS know better, UA has proof that they did in fact know better and did it anyway.

Last edited by Steve M; Feb 1, 15 at 7:58 pm
Steve M is offline  
Old Feb 1, 15, 4:11 pm
  #176  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Denver & Phoenix
Programs: UA 2MM, Life UC, Global Entry (UK citizen)
Posts: 129
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
Yep. This turns what might possibly have been a "two strike" issue into a "one strike" issue. Not only [i]should[i] a GS know better, UA has proof that they did in fact know better and did it anyway.
Maybe he did, maybe he didn't.

Consider this scenario:
Let's assume I haven't read the T&C and I want to sell a GPU, so I google "UA GPU sale" on the web and get web sites of people selling their GPUs. So they say they are charging $400 for "Advice" and giving the GPU for free. So, I think
"Okay, since everybody's doing it that way, that must be the way to sell your GPUs legitimately". Why would I suddenly think all these people were breaking the Rules?

I don't think there's any conclusive evidence that OP knew it was wrong.....And, almost certainly he did not know what would happen if UA busted him.
However, one thing is clear: UA can make some serious money by busting 1K/GS flyers and closing their accounts. Why put out a big public notice if you can make money by keeping it quiet? A darker question might be: Does UA really want 1K/GS flyers to stop selling/bartering/trading their GPUs?!

P.s. BTW, how many people read and understand all the Terms & Conditions on anything they sign up for? (I.e. Credit cards, software, retail products, etc.)

Last edited by EMan; Feb 1, 15 at 4:22 pm
EMan is offline  
Old Feb 1, 15, 4:18 pm
  #177  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 10,582
Originally Posted by EMan View Post
Maybe he did, maybe he didn't.

Consider this scenario:
Let's assume I haven't read the T&C and I want to sell a GPU, so I google "UA GPU sale" on the web and get web sites of people selling their GPUs. So they say they are charging $400 for "Advice" and giving the GPU for free. So, I think
"Okay, since everybody's doing it that way, that must be the way to sell your GPUs legitimately". Why would I suddenly think all these people were breaking the Rules?

I don't think there's any conclusive evidence that OP knew it was wrong.....And, almost certainly he did not know what would happen if UA busted him.
However, one thing is clear: UA can make some serious money by busting 1K/GS flyers and closing their accounts. Why put out a big public notice if you can make money by keeping it quiet?

P.s. BTW, how many people read and understand all the Terms & Conditions on anything you sign up for? (I.e. Credit cards, software, retail products, etc.)
Ignorance of the law/rules is no excuse. Try claiming ignorance in a court of law, doesn't work very well. Not everybody knows all the rules but not knowing a rule is not an excuse either. If I did not know it was against the rules and did as you say, I would be mighty suspicious and think, why don't they just sell them, why are they selling advice and giving them away for free. Common sense tells me this is fishy.
Baze is offline  
Old Feb 1, 15, 4:45 pm
  #178  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 46,088
This one is simple. OP got caught committing fraud and UA fired him. He's lucky that all he lost was his miles, his certs and his status. Now he's gonna face his customers seeking refunds when their UG's are canceled. Presumably he's got the smarts to now report the sales as income and pay taxes on them while he's still got time.

If the underlying miles/certs were earned on tickets paid for by an employer, he may well face an employer who doesn't trust employees who scam others while on company "time".

OP needs a lawyer. Not to sue UA, but to defend himself.
Often1 is offline  
Old Feb 1, 15, 4:51 pm
  #179  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Benicia CA
Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Posts: 31,440
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Now he's gonna face his customers seeking refunds when their UG's are canceled.
I'd be more worried about UA coming after him for the costs of past flights. If they can track down and get statements from those that have bought past travel advice, and surely they know who these flyers are with I.D. now required of everyone, he could be in a world of hurt.
tom911 is online now  
Old Feb 1, 15, 4:52 pm
  #180  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: GVA (Greater Vancouver Area)
Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Posts: 49,689
Originally Posted by EMan View Post
Why would I suddenly think all these people were breaking the Rules?
That's exactly the kind of gullibility these people are taking advantage of. Do you also trust all those Nigerian princes giving money away? After all, if there are so many, they must all be legit, right?

Originally Posted by Baze View Post
Common sense tells me this is fishy.
Exactly.
mahasamatman is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: