Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What does the blue line separator mean between segments of a confirmed itinerary?

What does the blue line separator mean between segments of a confirmed itinerary?

Old Jan 29, 14, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: *S (TK), Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold

Consider this blog post by Lucky. Here's the first image:

There's a blue line that separates the first segment from the second, and second from third, but the 3rd and 4th segments are happily "stitched" together.

1. What's the significance of the blue line separator?

2. Why is there a separator for the first 3 segments but not between 3 and 4?

Now, I notice there's a change of date between the separated segments, while 3 and 4 have the same date. However, I just booked an itinerary that looks like this:

8/12 - 8/12 - segment 1
8/12 - 8/13 - segment 2
8/13 - 8/14 - segment 3
8/14 - 8/14 - segment 4

If date were the criterium for separation, then my itinerary would have no separation between 1 and 2, while it would have between the segments thereafter. However, the result is the exact opposite: there's only a separator between 1 and 2, while 2-4 are stitched together.

In my case, there was a change of airport between 1 and 2, so maybe that triggered the separation. Still, I can't figure out the exact criteria for separation.
Old Jan 29, 14, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Could be where the fares break. What's the fare construction for this trip? You can get it from the Saudi website if you don't know it.
Old Jan 29, 14, 9:16 am

Programs: UA 1K

My experience is that the blue line appears for what the website thinks is a stop instead of a connection, and it can be wrong. It will definitely appear between flights where you turn around, for example, between an LAX-HNL and HNL-LAX. However, when I had an LAX-HNL (5 hour stop) HNL-SFO, I didn't get a blue line. Also, the computer attempted to check me in for every segment until the next blue line.

By the way, I had a fare break between LAX-HNL and HNL-SFO, but still no blue line.
Old Jan 29, 14, 9:20 am
Original Member

Programs: UA Platinum/1MM, AA PPro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by aindfan View Post
My experience is that the blue line appears for what the website thinks is a stop instead of a connection, and it can be wrong. It will definitely appear between flights where you turn around, for example, between an LAX-HNL and HNL-LAX. However, when I had an LAX-HNL (5 hour stop) HNL-SFO, I didn't get a blue line. Also, the computer attempted to check me in for every segment until the next blue line.

By the way, I had a fare break between LAX-HNL and HNL-SFO, but still no blue line.
There are lots of things wrong with the itinerary display on united.com. Blue line is simply what the website thinks when the next set of flights, in this case the next day. However, it has nothing to do with fare construction/connection, since you can technically connect within 24 hours on an international itinerary.
Old Jan 29, 14, 9:27 am

Programs: Hotels.com WR Silver ;)
How about Departure day?

Segment 1 departs on Thurs
Segment 2 departs Fri
Segments 3 and 4 both depart Sat

This also makes sense considering the big bold black text after each blue line, which contains the travel you will be doing on that date.
Old Jan 29, 14, 9:36 am

Programs: UA GS, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Zappity View Post
How about Departure day?

Segment 1 departs on Thurs
Segment 2 departs Fri
Segments 3 and 4 both depart Sat

This also makes sense considering the big bold black text after each blue line, which contains the travel you will be doing on that date.
Good theory, but that can't be it. Consider this one:

Seems sometimes it can figure out when it's a connection and sometimes it doesn't.
Old Jan 29, 14, 9:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.024MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Select; WoH Dis
Am I the only one who things that this may just be a bug? I certainly hope they don't spend any time at all trying to fix it because it's about the least important issue I've ever seen regarding the site.
Old Jan 29, 14, 9:48 am

Programs: UA 1K
I have no complaints about this "feature" - it has only worked in my favor (for example, online check in for segments much more than 24 hours away).
Old Jan 29, 14, 9:56 am

Programs: LH HON, EK Plat, QR Plat, TK EP
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
I certainly hope they don't spend any time at all trying to fix it because it's about the least important issue I've ever seen regarding the site.
People need to get out more and stop analyzing blue lines .
Old Jan 29, 14, 10:03 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I have never been able to correlate the blue lines with anything. I've even seen the lines disappear shortly after booking or reappear once a GPU clears and then disappear again after I call in to fix my reservation
Old Jan 29, 14, 2:13 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by eng3 View Post
I have never been able to correlate the blue lines with anything. I've even seen the lines disappear shortly after booking or reappear once a GPU clears and then disappear again after I call in to fix my reservation
I've also had the lines "move" and in so doing break the ability to do online SDC. For example, I had IAD-SEA-ANC, with a return ~36 hours later. After irrops affected the first segment, the line moved so that my itin read something like IAD-SEA-ANC-SEA (blue line) SEA-EWR-IAD... and then when UA "fixed" the irrops, ended up IAD-SEA-ANC-SEA-EWR (blue line) EWR-IAD. "Check in now for your flight to EWR!" .bomb sent me the next day...
Old Jan 29, 14, 4:47 pm
21A

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4.2; Nexus 5 Build/KOT49H) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/32.0.1700.99 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Have we ruled out that it's simply based on the time between previous segment arrival and next segment departure? In the first example that is 6:05 and then 7:25; later we have an example where 4:03 shows as a connection, so the cutoff could be 5 or 6 hours. (Though it is surprising that this isn't 4 hours since that happens to be the usual maximum domestic connection time, which is a common case.)
Old Jan 29, 14, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA: 1P; SPG: Gold; HH: Silver; DL, AA: Gen. Member
I often build my domestic itineraries using the multi-city search for a variety of reasons. I will get the blue line for each separate segment that I enter into the multi-city search. If I search for:
Day 1: XXX-YYY
Day 1: YYY-ZZZ
Day 2: ZZZ-YYY
Day 2: YYY-XXX
I'll get 3 blue lines separating the segments.

If I search for:
Day 1: XXX-YYY
Day 1: YYY-ZZZ
Day 2: ZZZ-XXX
I will only get 2 blue lines.

Search this Thread