Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 United Club (UC) Thread for Changes, News, Features, Competitive Position, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2014, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: J.Edward
Please see click here for the 2015 UC Thread.

New United Club alcohol selection beginning on 10-Sep-2013:

Beer
Free:
Bud Light (minus IAD/DEN), Coors Light (IAD/DEN/JFK), MGD (IAH/MCO/PHL/DEN/HNL/DCA), Budweiser (SFO when they run out of Bud Light), Miller drafts, Miller Lite & MGD bottle (CLE), Coors Light & MGD draft (PDX), Coors Light draft and MD bottle (MSP), MGD bottle (BOS)

Regional Beers ($3 for a small glass, ~6-10oz depending upon the bartender):
BOS -
CLE - Heineken, Great Lakes Dortmunder (and appears to be a 10 oz pour)
DCA - Heineken (draft), Blue Moon, Sam Adams
DEN - Heineken, Blue Moon
DFW - Blue Moon, Batch 19
EWR - Heineken, Sam Adams, Brooklyn Lager, Blue Point Pale Ale
HNL - Longboard (in bottles, tap available before the downgrade is now gone)
IAD - Heineken, Sam Adams
IAH - Heineken, Shiner Bock, St Arnolds (specific St Arnolds brew changes seasonally)
JFK -
LAS - Heineken, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
LAX - Heineken, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
LGA - Heineken, Corona
MCO - Hurricane Reef (Florida Beer Company Melbourne FL), Heineken bottle, Yuengling bottle
MSP - Heineken, Lift Bridge Farm Girl Saison, Summit Extra Pale Ale (all bottles)
ORD - Heineken, Goose Island, Sam Adams
PDX - Heineken, Dead Man
PHL - Yuengling
SAN - Heineken, Karl Strauss
SEA - Pyramid Hefeweizen
SFO - Heineken, Big Daddy IPA, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

Wine
White:
Sycamore Lane Chardonnay, CA - Free
Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio Valdadige, IT $12
Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough, NZ $14
Groth Sauvignon Blanc, Napa Valley $12
Rutherford Hill Chardonnay Napa Valley $14
Franciscan Estate Chardonnay, Napa Valley $12

Red:
Sycamore Lane Cabernet Sauvignon, CA - Free
Twisted Cabernet Sauvignon - Free
Mark West Pinot Noir, Napa Valley $13
Rutherford Hill Merlot, Napa Valley $14
Terrazas 'Las Compuertas Vineyard' Malbec, Mendoza, AR $15
Dona Paula Estate Malbec, Mendoza, AR $13
Jordan Cabernet Sauvignon, Alexander Valley, CA $15
Joel Gott 815 Cabernet Sauvignon, CA $13

Sparkling:
Prosecco Mionetto Brut Prosecco D.O.C. Valdobliadene, IT $12
Veuve Clicquot Brut Yellow Label, Champagne, FR $14

$3 discount on all wine if you pay with your MileagePlus Club Card or Presidential Plus Card

Liquor
Vodka:
McCormick's: Free
Bellows: Free (ORD)
Popov: Free (DEN)
Gordon's: Free (JFK, SFO)
Stoli $9
Tito's $7
Ketel One $11
Grey Goose $11

Gin:
Gordon's: Free (EWR, JFK, SFO)
Beefeater $7
Bombay Sapphire $11
Hendricks $11

Tequila:
Capitan: Free (JFK)
Cuervo Gold $7
Patron Silver $11
Patron Reposado $11

Rum:
Montego Bay or McCormick's: Free
Castillo: Free (JFK)
Bacardi $7
Captain Morgan $9
10 Cane $11

Whiskey:
McCormick's: Free (AUS, ORD)
Barton Reserve: Free (SFO)
Evan Williams: Free (IAD)
Seagrams (LAX) *may still be lingering from comp days*
Jim Beam $7
Canadian Club $7
Jameson $9
Jack Daniels $11
Crown Royale $11
Woodford Reserve $11

Scotch:
McCormick's: Free (AUS, LAX)
House of Stuart: Free (LAS)
Scoresby: Free (JFK)
Dewar's White Label $7
Chivas Regal $11
Glennfiddich 12 Year $11

Brandy/Cognac:
Courvoisier V.S.O.P. $9
Hennessy XO $11

Cordials (all $6):
Bailey's
Campari
Disaronno
Kahlua
Grand Marnier

Thanks to MrColdShower for the initial info for this wikipost!

To send emails here are some addresses:
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Social Media: @United #unitedclubdowngrade
Hub: https://hub.united.com/en-us/news/pr...ited-club.aspx

United Club WiFi Authentication

Reports starting to appear -- July 2015 --- EWR, IAH, SFO, ORD, ....
Four option
  • UC Members - MP number and password/PIN
  • Star Gold - Confirmation number and surname
  • Business/First Class - Confirmation number and surname
  • Guest/One-time-pass/etc - A fixed "password of the day" which is on display inside the club
Has a "Remember Me" function for UC members, option for *A members and
New WIFI Authentication/Sign on at EWR United Club (MP#, PNR, or Password-of-the-Day)

Other Related Threads:

Reload this Page Discussion of the United Clubs at ORD

Print Wikipost

2014 United Club (UC) Thread for Changes, News, Features, Competitive Position, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2014, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, National Emerald Exec
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Laggard! Love it! Since apparently bottom line >> customer service, I'd expect permium$ on the "enhancements", perhaps above & beyond the jacked-up membership fees. UA/UC soon to follow? I'll take that bet...
Delta has already clarified that all of these options will be complimentary (or rather included in the cost of the membership). I have about 6 months left in my membership and based on the amount of time I spend in a club this may affect my membership and travel plans for the following year.

More than anything I wish United would address the food issue, breakfast is reasonable. Everything after that is pretty sad. Of course Delta offering a free premium liquor is a real punch in the crotch for United.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 8:01 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by arctikjon
Delta has already clarified that all of these options will be complimentary (or rather included in the cost of the membership).
I believe you may have read too much into Delta's clarification as to whether the new options will be complimentary once they become officially added to the club's offerings. Bolding is mine.

Originally Posted by DLCorpGal
Everything in this test program is complimentary.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by controller1
I believe you may have read too much into Delta's clarification as to whether the new options will be complimentary once they become officially added to the club's offerings.
...All except for this ne, it seems:
In addition, based on your feedback, we will immediately upgrade the current complimentary vodka offered across all Clubs to Finlandia® Vodka.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 11:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Sadly I let my Skyclub membership lapse. I hope current members will post photos here of the new stuff. I would love have it reported to management that the United forums and blogs are full of talk of Delta and photos of their clubs.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 2:52 am

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1MM, FB Plat, AS MVP Gold, WN AList+
Originally Posted by elitefreak
This DL move is good for us. Put some pressure on UA to be competitive in the opposite direction for once.
DL has a plan of trying to create some value in their clubs. Some might agree with the changes, some don't. Personally I like the direction they are going.

As for UA and UC's - I don't see much direction at all...cancelled my membership last year due to the horrendous nature of the ORD clubs generally. I got sick of walking in and then walking right back out due to the nature of the zoo going on inside the clubs.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 12:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by controller1
I believe you may have read too much into Delta's clarification as to whether the new options will be complimentary once they become officially added to the club's offerings. Bolding is mine.
No, she stated unequivocally later in the thread that they are testing options that will remain complimentary after the test. Not everything will continue to be offered, but what is offered will be included in the membership price.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 2:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by arctikjon
... breakfast is reasonable. ....
Seriously? Breakfast in the UA club is far from reasonable. No hot cereal, no peanut butter for bagels, no bread (just cheap bagel-things), disgusting donut holes.

Here is a proper breakfast

1. hot cereal with toppings
2. a rotating variety of cold cereals
3. a variety of fresh self-pour juices
4. edible breads including proper bagels, english muffins, white and wheat bread with improved toppings - cream cheese, jellies, honey, peanut butter, nutella
5. a selection of cut and whole fruit
6. one hot dish selection - even those pre-formed omelets you find at a Hampton Inn would be a major improvement
Old Jan 29, 2014, 7:22 pm

I travel a lot both in the US and internationally and I never cease to be amazed at just how .... the UC's are! Why anyone would actually pay for membership is beyond me. The food options are a joke, the alcoholic beverages seem to get even more restricted every time I visit and most of the lounges now seem to have removed self-serve soft drinks requiring you to get these from the bar (and tip the barman.)

Personally, I pay for a Priority Pass membership which costs me GBP 259 (a little over $400) for the unlimited visits option - there's also cheaper options that include a limited number of free visits or are pay as you go. AFAIK, the Priority Pass gets you into ALL the UC's (I've never found one which I couldn't use) plus loads of other lounges around the world.

For an example of an airport lounge done right, check out the No 1 Lounge at Heathrow T3 (accessible with a PP but not, as far as I can see, a UC card) Even beats the *A lounge in T1 on service!
Old Jan 29, 2014, 7:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mzrn
Has UA done anything recently in response to upgraded offerings from DL/AA? I'm not so sure we'll see any rays of light in 2014.
They are updating the interiors of the clubs. The food and drink offerings remain the most pitiful of the legacy carriers.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Kenny Munro
I travel a lot both in the US and internationally and I never cease to be amazed at just how .... the UC's are! Why anyone would actually pay for membership is beyond me. The food options are a joke, the alcoholic beverages seem to get even more restricted every time I visit and most of the lounges now seem to have removed self-serve soft drinks requiring you to get these from the bar (and tip the barman.)

Personally, I pay for a Priority Pass membership which costs me GBP 259 (a little over $400) for the unlimited visits option - there's also cheaper options that include a limited number of free visits or are pay as you go. AFAIK, the Priority Pass gets you into ALL the UC's (I've never found one which I couldn't use) plus loads of other lounges around the world.

For an example of an airport lounge done right, check out the No 1 Lounge at Heathrow T3 (accessible with a PP but not, as far as I can see, a UC card) Even beats the *A lounge in T1 on service!
Tipping isn't required. I especially do not tip if I'm just getting a soda
Old Jan 29, 2014, 8:11 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Seriously? Breakfast in the UA club is far from reasonable. No hot cereal, no peanut butter for bagels, no bread (just cheap bagel-things), disgusting donut holes.

Here is a proper breakfast

1. hot cereal with toppings
2. a rotating variety of cold cereals
3. a variety of fresh self-pour juices
4. edible breads including proper bagels, english muffins, white and wheat bread with improved toppings - cream cheese, jellies, honey, peanut butter, nutella
5. a selection of cut and whole fruit
6. one hot dish selection - even those pre-formed omelets you find at a Hampton Inn would be a major improvement
For that matter, discount hotels manage to provide free breakfast which far surpasses what the United Club lays out. I've had a better breakfast at a $40 motel than at a UC.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 7:55 pm
Formerly known as UATexasFlyer

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Natl. Car Exec Elite, UA 1MM, *G
I received a renewal email today for the end of March.

They now want $500 to renew for a 1K. Are they kidding me?
Old Feb 4, 2014, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
I don't really drink in the road by myself, so I think I'm going to let my membership lapse at the end of the month. I do like the anything-you-want coffee machine in DEN and the yogurt in the morning. The shortbread cookies are pretty tasty when I'm stuck back in coach on a long flight. Pretty much guaranteed a charge station and almost always someplace to sit, even if it is back in the bowels of the cube farms with someone trying to connect on a crappy cell phone connection two rows over.

I tried to get my employer to pick up the tab on the grounds of more work done, less drain on our community cell-based internet. No Joy. Fine, I'll just have breakfast at Elway's on travel mornings and expense it.

As a 1K, I get the lounges anyways on international flights anyways-- where the benefit really is.

If there weren't good restaurants in most airports or I couldn't just buy a day pass if I had to it would be different. $500 for basically a chair is too much.

Just not worth it.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by UATexasFlyer

Sounds like an error.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 10:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Originally Posted by UATexasFlyer

Sounds like an error.
agreed rates look unchanged

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.