Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Targeted] -- For you: Complimentary upgrades and 20,000 Premier qualifying miles

Old Jan 26, 2014, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: GregMM
  • Offer apparently targeted at UA elites who flew US last year and credited miles to MileagePlus (possibly targeted only at those who bought premium tickets on US and credited to MP). You can only register for a promotion for which you were targeted, so this will only help if you were targeted but for some reason didn't get or lost the email.
  • No offer for people whose primary address is non-US
  • 4 RPU + 4 UC passes
    http://news.united.com/servlet/formlink/f?JHQSTCTW
  • Some 1Ks get 4 RPUs + 20K PQM
    http://news.united.com/servlet/formlink/f?JHQSTCTY
  • Some 1Ks get 4 RPUs only, no PQM
    link: http://news.united.com/servlet/formlink/f?JHQSTCTU
  • Platinums get instant upgrade to 1K till 05/31 with 35K miles challenge for entire 2014 (+4RPU)
    link: http://news.united.com/servlet/formlink/f?JHQSTCTT
  • Golds get instant upgrade to Platinum till 05/31 with 18K miles challenge for entire 2014 (+2RPU)
    link: http://news.united.com/servlet/formlink/f?JHQSTCTS
  • Slivers get instant upgrade to Gold till 05/31 with 12.5K miles challenge for entire 2014 (+15,000 bonus award miles also)
    link: http://news.united.com/servlet/formlink/f?JHQSTCTR
Print Wikipost

[Targeted] -- For you: Complimentary upgrades and 20,000 Premier qualifying miles

Old Jan 25, 2014, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think part of the GPU/RPU not clearing problem right now is due to everyone trying to use them before 1/31. It should get a little better. Of course, the same logic means it will be really really bad next year this time - people with extra RPUs + many won't be able to extend GPUs as they won't requalify for 1K.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by jclarke
lowly platinum in SFO/SMF. as usual, no love letter from UA.

edited to add - i had US segments credited to UA in 2013. Apparently not enough to make them think I might defect to AA/US.
My segment count must not have been high enough either. Sadly for UA they don't know/didn't consider my anticipated DL segment count for 2014 (written from ATL).
Old Jan 25, 2014, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold PC, SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by morokcn
This is what i learned so far:

• Targeted offer for people flew US credited with MP
  • No offer for people whose primary address is non-US
  • Some 1Ks get 4 RPUs + 20K PQM
    no link shared
  • Some 1Ks get 4 RPUs only, no PQM
  • Platinums get instant upgrade to 1K till 05/31 with 35K miles challenge for entire 2014
    no link shared
  • Golds get instant upgrade to Platinum till 05/31 with 18K miles challenge for entire 2014
    no link shared
  • Slivers get instant upgrade to Gold till 05/31 with 12.5K miles challenge for entire 2014
    no link shared
Good summary, thanks! Would anyone care to share the link to the offer for silvers to comp up to gold?

Also, as a lowly silver I can certainly say I do feel for those of you at higher tiers who are facing less R-space with the RPU giveaways, that does bite. As a silver who only gets 2-3 CPUs per year I really wouldn't expect much difference at gold except being able to snag E+ at booking.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by exerda
Annoying; here I am failing GPU-supported u/gs on Saturdays on CLE-LAS, EWR-PHX, CLE-PHX, etc. And UA is handing out more RPUs and higher status like candy? Just freaking great.
Originally Posted by limey1K
Same here. GPU UG fail on a U fare DEN-IAH Sunday morning.
exactly. It's nasty out there right now and UA is flooding the pool with additional RPUs For each one they maybe stop from defecting to AA *until they are done with their RPUs* they lose more existing members due to not only worse than ever CPUs but also failing upgrade instruments.
It's a truly pathetic and bad business decision IMO.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by gradsflyer
Good summary, thanks! Would anyone care to share the link to the offer for silvers to comp up to gold?

Also, as a lowly silver I can certainly say I do feel for those of you at higher tiers who are facing less R-space with the RPU giveaways, that does bite. As a silver who only gets 2-3 CPUs per year I really wouldn't expect much difference at gold except being able to snag E+ at booking.
The link only works if you got the invite.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 7:58 pm

Programs: MP,MR Silver,Avis
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
The link only works if you got the invite.
There have been plenty of targeted promotions in the past where people that were eligible for the promotion didn't actually get the email for some reason (spam filters, poor UA IT, the ether bunny ate it, etc.) so what does it hurt? It's obvious that the first link that was posted wasn't personalized, as you have to enter your MP# on the linked page.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Yes, why no links? I'm interested in the Gold to Platinum challenge. Anyone care to PM?
Old Jan 25, 2014, 8:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Has anyone speculated that this might have been offered to people who met or exceeded the PQD requirements, but came up short on miles?

Airlines don't want people who spend 10cpm. They want people who spend 50cpm. And they might be willing to give 1K to someone with 50k miles if they spent $25k.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 9:04 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Has anyone speculated that this might have been offered to people who met or exceeded the PQD requirements, but came up short on miles?

Airlines don't want people who spend 10cpm. They want people who spend 50cpm. And they might be willing to give 1K to someone with 50k miles if they spent $25k.
Yes that's exactly what this appears to be - an attempt to lock-in lower mileage but HV flyers who might otherwise go with US/AA.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes that's exactly what this appears to be - an attempt to lock-in lower mileage but HV flyers who might otherwise go with US/AA.
I am not sure about that. I looked at my 2012 and 2013 numbers and I am not HVF. It seems more people are suspecting US linkage...

Maybe:

Credit to US -> 4 GPU
Credit to US on competitive routes -> 4 GPU + 20K PQM
Credit to US and live at US Hub -> 4 GPU + 20K PQM

??? Of course, we are all speculating...
Old Jan 25, 2014, 9:12 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by username
I am not sure about that. I looked at my 2012 and 2013 numbers and I am not HVF. It seems more people are suspecting US linkage...

??? Of course, we are all speculating...
Yes it's all speculation, but it appears this is largely targeted at pax who either (a) flew premium cabin on US and credited to MP, or (b) had relatively low mileage but high spend. It would not be unreasonable for UA to target both of these groups as potential HVFs.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 9:32 pm

Yes it's all speculation, but it appears this is largely targeted at pax who either (a) flew premium cabin on US and credited to MP, or (b) had relatively low mileage but high spend. It would not be unreasonable for UA to target both of these groups as potential HVFs.
Good summary; both of these make sense. Would be interesting to see if they give credit for non-US Airways, too, of the same type.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 9:44 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus: Platinum; Enterprise Plus: Silver
This is where the industry goes. I would not be surprised if the airlines drop PQM requirement one day, or if they start granting higher status to those with high enough PQD and with low PQM.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by canadiancow

I'm gold and my spend was over 25K. No offer. I also flew ORD-PHL-New Haven, 6 times on US. No offer. Based in ORD.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:18 pm

Programs: UA Silver
I'm Silver waiting for Gold to be bestowed on me. I'm wondering if this will allow me to select an E+ seat on a reservation I already have that I'd normally have to wait til the day of for. Anyone check this yet?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.