Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance Codeshare Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2017, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by tasnam
Here is my question....if I go to UA.com and try AKL-PER - says no flights (AT ALL)

How can I maximize my AKL-PER (in business) to get UA credit?
(Would prefer not to earn AA miles)
Unfortunately you cannot. UA does not publish a fare AKL-PER, and the NZ fares must be plated NZ. The best you can do for UA credit is to fly NZ metal nonstop, booking with NZ (earns PQM but no PQD). It's crazy expensive though.
Old May 26, 2017, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
Oh, United *can* issue such tickets from a technical standpoint, but it goes against the airline's ticketing policy. This is why UA agents almost always refuse to book non-award itineraries with no UA/LH flights over the phone, and travel agents that plate 016 tickets with no UA/LH segments in the booking are subject to debit memos.
The United website is offering them as well. No UA segments, no UA codeshare flight numbers.
Old May 26, 2017, 12:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Oh, United *can* issue such tickets from a technical standpoint, but it goes against the airline's ticketing policy. This is why UA agents almost always refuse to book non-award itineraries with no UA/LH flights over the phone, and travel agents that plate 016 tickets with no UA/LH segments in the booking are subject to debit memos.
You can book such tickets on united.com right now.
Old May 26, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
United has a special ticketing agreement with Lufthansa such that UA can plate wholly LH-coded, LH-operated itineraries on 016 ticket stock (and LH can do likewise for all-UA itineraries on its own ticket stock). United does not have a similar agreement with any other airline, including other Joint Venture partners (this means at least one segment must be UA-coded or UA-operated).
While travel agents are not permitted to do this, UA routinely issues purely OAL-operated tickets. All UA-issued tickets are UA-plated by definition, and UA is free to issue tickets on any airline which it has an eticket interline relationship with.
Old May 26, 2017, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLAT, HYATT PLAT, HH GOLD, AA GOLD, MR GOLD
OK so I followed your advice and booked AKL-PER online at NZ.com to get UA status.

Now, I need to go PER-SYD any options to earn UA status WITHOUT going to AKL for a connection?
Old May 26, 2017, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Now, I need to go PER-SYD any options to earn UA status WITHOUT going to AKL for a connection?
Well, you could go via BKK on TG or SIN on SQ.. but those are both more expensive and longer than via AKL on NZ. The only J class options which don't leave Australia are QF and VA.
Old May 27, 2017, 6:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLAT, HYATT PLAT, HH GOLD, AA GOLD, MR GOLD
Originally Posted by findark
Well, you could go via BKK on TG or SIN on SQ.. but those are both more expensive and longer than via AKL on NZ. The only J class options which don't leave Australia are QF and VA.

So within Aus NO UA earning options...correct?
Old May 27, 2017, 8:28 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
So within Aus NO UA earning options...correct?
Correct. And in the case of PER-SYD, you're much better off flying QF anyway as they fly that route with a wide body 332, that has their new lie flat business "suite".
Old May 27, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA: 1K 1.5MM, DL: LTDM 3.5MM, JB: Mosaic4, LH: exSEN 1MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite, Hertz PresC
Originally Posted by Kacee
You can book such tickets on united.com right now.
...but the routes/flights of non UA flights displayed are few and far between...
Old Jun 15, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Christefan
...but the routes/flights of non UA flights displayed are few and far between...
Does anyone have any experience of how UA economy booking classes map to NH's? (NH being the operating carrier)

Specifically would like to know what United K is haha
Old Jun 15, 2017, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Unionruler
Does anyone have any experience of how UA economy booking classes map to NH's? (NH being the operating carrier)

Specifically would like to know what United K is haha
UA K is NH K, unless within Japan in which case a K fare will book into H.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.