F seat poached by disabled passenger

Old Jan 21, 14, 9:33 pm
  #106  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 57
no chance of giving up that seat. there's potentially a several thousand dollar difference in fare at stake - it's not like you're talking about an aisle seat in economy. not budging unless flight staff confirms i will be compensated.
ih8airlines is offline  
Old Jan 21, 14, 9:34 pm
  #107  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: TPE/HKG/BWI
Programs: UA 1K 0.8MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, MR Plat, Hertz PC, TR Diam
Posts: 2,621
Originally Posted by TommyC80 View Post
I would consider giving up my seat to someone who asked me for it, prior to them just sitting down there, acting like they belong.
+1. Ask nicely first (Unless you happen to be a mom with more than one kid under 2 and are separated from them in another row or sitting across), whether I say yes or no, is my decision.
mjcewl1284 is offline  
Old Jan 21, 14, 9:51 pm
  #108  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: WAS
Programs: UA
Posts: 232
Originally Posted by mjcewl1284 View Post
+1. Ask nicely first (Unless you happen to be a mom with more than one kid under 2 and are separated from them in another row or sitting across), whether I say yes or no, is my decision.
Totally. I gave up a CPU'd F seat a couple of months back to an ANCIENT woman that was boarded via wheelchair very late--they were struggling to get her down the aisle past the first couple of rows, and it was just a 1 hour flight, so I offered the FA my seat to figure it out and went to the back.

People are decent when they need to be, which is why it's more egregious when someone takes advantage of that basic inclination.
DCA1983 is offline  
Old Jan 21, 14, 10:14 pm
  #109  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 88,309
As others have suggested here, the problem with giving up the seat in this story is that it rewards the poacher for bad behavior and gives her an incentive to continue trying this stunt to get a FC seat for free. Offering to change seats with someone who has special needs is different, as is having the GA switch you to a different seat in the same cabin or the same type, but that isn't what happened here.

Unfortunately the OP capitulated and didn't even insist that the incident be documented. I predict that it will be hard to get any ex post compensation as the OP appears to have volunteered to give up the FC seat.

What if after agreeing to the swap to avoid a delay, the flight was delayed anyway so that OP lost the seat and still missed the connection? What if the fact of having a seat in the rear of the aircraft caused the OP to miss the connection? IMO the idea that being agreeable would enable OP to catch his/her flight was just speculation. I'm glad that part worked for the OP, but the result could have been otherwise, with a poached seat and a missed connection. The seat swap could even have caused a missed connection due to the additional time to deplane from the back versus FC.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Jan 21, 14, 10:30 pm
  #110  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: HH Diamond, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Posts: 27,422
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
This has nothing to do with UA whatsoever and UA owes OP nothing. OP voluntarily swapped seats with the poacher and that's the end of it.
Voluntarily? Coerced, perhaps. Let me know what flights you have a FC seat on, and I'll "voluntarily" take your seat.
Jaimito Cartero is online now  
Old Jan 21, 14, 11:01 pm
  #111  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Van down by the river
Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Marriott PP/LT Plat, Golden Circle Diamond
Posts: 718
On Asian carriers they look at each BP when you get on the plane and it would stand out quickly if someone pulled this. I know Asiana, SQ, and Silk are militant about sitting one intra-Asia A320 "F" seats.

Although this is not likely to happen often, it would seem that the FA should validate when people sit up front at the very least.
wethereyet is offline  
Old Jan 22, 14, 2:11 am
  #112  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ZOA, SFO, HKG
Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Posts: 11,299
Originally Posted by goalie View Post
To those that say the OP would be blamed for causing the flight to be delayed if they wanted "Ms. Can We Swap" moved from a seat that she was obviously poaching, the blame afaic would lie with the poacher as plane and simple-she was the problem and she caused the problem
I don't think anyone have a doubt about the behavior of the poacher.

However, the poacher's bad action does not mean OP should respond in this way.

If I was the OP and I responded this way, I would have learned my lesson and move on.

Backing away from an issue is not necessarily the solution.

Originally Posted by chuckywang View Post
Any update to this story?
So you want US Attorney's Office to press charge?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 22, 14 at 7:43 am Reason: response to deleted post
garykung is offline  
Old Jan 22, 14, 2:51 am
  #113  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: yyz/ord
Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Posts: 1,516
Originally Posted by wethereyet View Post
On Asian carriers they look at each BP when you get on the plane and it would stand out quickly if someone pulled this. I know Asiana, SQ, and Silk are militant about sitting one intra-Asia A320 "F" seats.

Although this is not likely to happen often, it would seem that the FA should validate when people sit up front at the very least.
tons of seat poachers on TK , its a game!
flybit is offline  
Old Jan 22, 14, 4:42 am
  #114  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Posts: 2,337
Originally Posted by flybit View Post
tons of seat poachers on TK , its a game!
They even have special stickers for the empty CC seats.
alex_b is offline  
Old Jan 22, 14, 11:11 am
  #115  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 83
Originally Posted by chuckywang View Post
Any update to this story?
It's been two days since the original incident. No word yet from UA.

Meanwhile, I've posted my story on FlyerTalk and has discovered, from the replies, that I am a horrible person for having given up something I didn't really care for in the first place to someone who claimed they needed it and presumed they could get it from me. Apparently I have done a huge disservice to the FT community by encouraging this sort of seat poaching behavior. Also, I have apparently wronged myself by being willing to give up something on an airplane, with no expectation of receiving anything in return, and also without obtaining the proper documentation from the airline of what I have given up.

(sarcasm mode off)

I'll post any updates as I get them.
jon0 is offline  
Old Jan 22, 14, 11:18 am
  #116  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NYC
Programs: AA DULtArer
Posts: 5,525
Originally Posted by jon0 View Post
It's been two days since the original incident. No word yet from UA.

Meanwhile, I've posted my story on FlyerTalk and has discovered, from the replies, that I am a horrible person for having given up something I didn't really care for in the first place to someone who claimed they needed it and presumed they could get it from me. Apparently I have done a huge disservice to the FT community by encouraging this sort of seat poaching behavior. Also, I have apparently wronged myself by being willing to give up something on an airplane, with no expectation of receiving anything in return, and also without obtaining the proper documentation from the airline of what I have given up.

(sarcasm mode off)

I'll post any updates as I get them.
'I would suggest you withhold any further info, make some popcorn, and enjoy the debate as to whether your horrible enabling behavior is worthy of a emotional comfort dog, with pre-Boarding before GS.

Your apology is not accepted since SHARES doesn't support that function

(Seriously, you did the right thing IMHO)
LaserSailor is offline  
Old Jan 22, 14, 11:50 am
  #117  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: LAX,SNA,SAN
Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
Posts: 858
Originally Posted by jon0 View Post
It's been two days since the original incident. No word yet from UA.

Meanwhile, I've posted my story on FlyerTalk and has discovered, from the replies, that I am a horrible person for having given up something I didn't really care for in the first place to someone who claimed they needed it and presumed they could get it from me. Apparently I have done a huge disservice to the FT community by encouraging this sort of seat poaching behavior. Also, I have apparently wronged myself by being willing to give up something on an airplane, with no expectation of receiving anything in return, and also without obtaining the proper documentation from the airline of what I have given up.

(sarcasm mode off)

I'll post any updates as I get them.
If you sleep well at night then you did the right thing. Always a good measuring stick for life's tough decisions.
ZZYZXROAD is offline  
Old Jan 22, 14, 12:21 pm
  #118  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: EAU
Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 4,577
I probably would have insisted the poacher be moved... there are unfortunately too many people out there who have figured out how to trade on the sympathies/fear of conflict many people have and since I don't have much of either I consider it a bit of a duty to thwart that behavior.

I'm also perfectly willing to give up an F seat if I see someone coming on who clearly needs it for whatever reason.


As for OP, while I certainly wish fewer people would play along with the manipulators, I don't think anyone should feel like they need to go out of their way to do so.
raehl311 is offline  
Old Jan 22, 14, 1:04 pm
  #119  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: CVG
Programs: UA Silver, AA, DL, Marriott Silver
Posts: 11,982
Originally Posted by alex_b View Post
They even have special stickers for the empty CC seats.
I just flew TK comfort IST-YYZ-IST. Both directions, the middle seat next to me was empty (I was on the aisle of the middle section). Most certainly no stickers - in fact, seats were provisioned with pillows, blankets, headphones, etc. just like all of the occupied seats. No attempted seat poaching, either.
emcampbe is offline  
Old Jan 22, 14, 1:07 pm
  #120  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Posts: 2,337
Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post
I just flew TK comfort IST-YYZ-IST. Both directions, the middle seat next to me was empty (I was on the aisle of the middle section). Most certainly no stickers - in fact, seats were provisioned with pillows, blankets, headphones, etc. just like all of the occupied seats. No attempted seat poaching, either.
Interesting. I flew JFK-IST in both directions half a dozen times last year. All of the seats were provisioned for boarding, but once they'd closed the door and done the headcount the FAs went and stuck a big red sticker saying "Comfort Class Passengers Only" on the headrests of all empty seats. I saw a few poachers shooed away on each flight too.
alex_b is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: