F seat poached by disabled passenger

Old Jan 21, 14, 2:34 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
I would have boarded with my "emotional support dog" and instructed it to ATTACK !
Old Jan 21, 14, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Flyer420 View Post
Do not take this post to be a blanket 'smear' on travelers from the subcontinent, it is not so intended.

That said, I have observed in recent years on EWR-BOM flights, an exponential growth of pax "requiring" wheel chairs. In the past, this
seemed to allow them early boarding, but on my last two flights, the GAs waited until the regular boarding was completed to do the wheel chair loads. Was this just a fluke? I don't know. Are some GAs at EWR a trifle cynical? Is the pope a Catholic?

The interesting thing (and maybe karma does come into this??) was that on arriving Mumbai, several of the pax who had required wheel chairs at EWR were now able to walk briskly down the long passageways to immigration and customs. Maybe there is a healing property afforded by travelling in a UA 777 for 15 hours...

The FA's call the flights from NY/DC to Fort Lauderdale the "resurrection" flights since so many of the passengers "need" wheelchairs on departure to get to the head of the security line and to board early. But, upon arriving at Fort Lauderdale, they are all miraculously healed. Glad to know that the EWR-BOM has joined the roster of the "resurrection flights"!

Flyer 420
in the fog in Seattle
The FA's call the flights from New York/DC/Boston to Fort Lauderdale the "resurrection" flights since so many passengers "need" a wheelchair to get to the head of the security line, and to board before everyone else does. Yet, upon arrival at FLL, they are all miraculously "healed" and walk off the plane without needing assistance. Glad to know that EWR-BOM has joined the roster of the resurrection flights!
Old Jan 21, 14, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Flyer420 View Post
Do not take this post to be a blanket 'smear' on travelers from the subcontinent, it is not so intended.

That said, I have observed in recent years on EWR-BOM flights, an exponential growth of pax "requiring" wheel chairs. In the past, this
seemed to allow them early boarding, but on my last two flights, the GAs waited until the regular boarding was completed to do the wheel chair loads. Was this just a fluke? I don't know. Are some GAs at EWR a trifle cynical? Is the pope a Catholic?

The interesting thing (and maybe karma does come into this??) was that on arriving Mumbai, several of the pax who had required wheel chairs at EWR were now able to walk briskly down the long passageways to immigration and customs. Maybe there is a healing property afforded by travelling in a UA 777 for 15 hours...

Flyer 420
in the fog in Seattle

I know people who requested wheelchair service for their elderly parents and grandparents on their return journey from US to the Asian subcontinent because they are traveling alone and/or cannot read/speak proper English which makes it a little troublesome navigating the airport and understanding boarding instructions from GAs. Once they get off the plane at their final destination, they are more familiar with the language and probably the airport also.
Old Jan 21, 14, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan View Post
Something tells me this isn;t the first time she has done this lol... You did the right thing - and I give you credit.
No he did the wrong thing. He should have stood his ground. He had the seat and the boarding pass to prove it. Why should this person be rewarded for being a poacher?! It flying is an issue for this person, they should have bought an F seat. People like this need to be stood up for, not accommodated and rewarded for their deception! Maybe it might be considered greedy but should thieves/lyers be rewarded no matter what their physical condition may be?
Old Jan 21, 14, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence
Originally Posted by ldsant View Post
OP - you did the right thing. Karma will reward you. For others who seem to have jumped to the conclusion that the woman who is disabled and who doesn't speak English as her first language, I would hope that you would have been as kind as the OP. Perhaps attitudes displayed here are why travel has become so "not fun" over the last few years.

As somebody who has been sick this last two years and has had to fly when sick I have always appreciated the displays of kindness e.g., I was in a middle seat and the person on the aisle offered me her seat so I could be more comfortable (I declined but it was the offer that was so appreciated and made an impact on me).

Instead of being outraged perhaps taking a moment and realizing that the OP did a nice thing should be the theme here. I say nice job OP! ^ You displayed kindness; a rarity these days.
I would consider giving up my seat to someone who asked me for it, prior to them just sitting down there, acting like they belong. The act of sitting there prior to asking implies that she feels entitled to it -- that's exacerbated by repeatedly ignoring the OP when he kindly suggested that she was sitting in the wrong seat.

I'm sorry...disabled or not, if you are looking for a swap and come to me with an entitled attitude you can take the seat that's printed on your boarding pass.
Old Jan 21, 14, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tag1084 View Post
I agree the OP should not be eligible for compensation. He chose to give up a FC seat voluntarily. But it's all relevant. Is the OP a frequent flyer in first class? If so than a few rows back on a short RJ flight isn't that big of a deal for him. Compared to what he thought the "backlash" could have been and missing a connection. I can honestly say I can't fault him for doing that. If he travels very frequently in F than to him it isn't worth the hassle.
OP is an over-entitled UA 1K who gets more than his fair share of free upgrades, even when traveling on other *A carrier he has no status on.

The bump from Y to F on a Q400 isn't worth a whole lot to me. For a Q400 flight that's less than an hour long, I probably would have declined a $10 TOD upgrade opportunity.

Incidentally, while the FAs did not specifically ask me to move (nor do I think it would be appropriate for an FA to appear to side with the other passenger by asking outright) his non-verbal expressions served to communicate to me "Get me out of this awkward situation."

And yes, if the same thing happened on my TCON, or, heaven forbid, EWR-HKG, you bet I'd be making a big stink.
Old Jan 21, 14, 8:05 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by username View Post
FTers even say that if you have a big passenger next to you and is overflowing onto/into your seat, you should get the GA and claim IDB.
Any success with this?
Old Jan 21, 14, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by invisible View Post
Any success with this?
guys. you have it wrong. unless you're looking for an IDB, the problem is the POS not you. UA has a clear policy on this. If a passenger is overflowing into your seat, they need to buy a FC seat or two seats in course if available, and if not, take another flight. This has been flogged on this board time and time again. The problem, of course, it that it puts the OP in the uncomfortable position of asking the FA/GA to remove the POS from the seat next to them and to enforce UA's policy, See UA's policy here.
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...e/default.aspx
Old Jan 21, 14, 8:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by TommyC80 View Post
I would consider giving up my seat to someone who asked me for it, prior to them just sitting down there, acting like they belong.
BINGO.
Old Jan 21, 14, 9:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott, Delta, United, AA
I definitely think this is United's fault. They should not have let her stop and sit in an F seat. Why not stop in the first row of coach? I definitely think he deserves downgrade compensation or else the flight attendants should have made her move to the first row in coach I'm sure someone would have volunteered to switch with her its the same cabin.

I had a VERY similar situation on DEN-JFK. I booked a window seat and was super tired so i needed to sleep. A foreign lady basically refused to move and wanted to stick me in the middle seat. Yeah i cared, she was the one who didn't reserve a seat and waited, not me. She was just a bully trying to get something better than she had. I called the flight attendants who basically made her move and one of them and me both could speak to her in Spanish she just didn't want the middle seat. She was trying to play the i dont speak english card and had no physical problem or even an excuse except she didn't want the middle seat.
Old Jan 21, 14, 9:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This has nothing to do with UA whatsoever and UA owes OP nothing. OP voluntarily swapped seats with the poacher and that's the end of it.

Whether it was the right or the wrong thing to do is a judgment call for OP and not the rest of the pack.

Clear to me from the OP that the FA's were ready willing & able to move the poacher to her assigned seat.
Old Jan 21, 14, 9:10 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
To those that say the OP would be blamed for causing the flight to be delayed if they wanted "Ms. Can We Swap" moved from a seat that she was obviously poaching, the blame afaic would lie with the poacher as plane and simple-she was the problem and she caused the problem
Old Jan 21, 14, 9:18 pm

Any update to this story?
Old Jan 21, 14, 9:20 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Starriott Platinum, Hyatt FreeBottleofWaterist
Originally Posted by UAkls View Post
In this situation I would have left it to the FA after the initial exchange. I would have walked away from the seat. Any request for me to give up my seat would have to come from the FA. It is not my job to deal with passengers...I pay to be one, not manage them.
I would have told them that I wanted my seat. It's up to them how they get it back.
Old Jan 21, 14, 9:25 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by bdlman View Post
I definitely think this is United's fault. They should not have let her stop and sit in an F seat. Why not stop in the first row of coach? I definitely think he deserves downgrade compensation or else the flight attendants should have made her move to the first row in coach I'm sure someone would have volunteered to switch with her its the same cabin.

I had a VERY similar situation on DEN-JFK. I booked a window seat and was super tired so i needed to sleep. A foreign lady basically refused to move and wanted to stick me in the middle seat. Yeah i cared, she was the one who didn't reserve a seat and waited, not me. She was just a bully trying to get something better than she had. I called the flight attendants who basically made her move and one of them and me both could speak to her in Spanish she just didn't want the middle seat. She was trying to play the i dont speak english card and had no physical problem or even an excuse except she didn't want the middle seat.
And that is how it should work.

The conversation goes:
"Excuse me, you're in my seat". If they don't move, there's no further discussion, no pleading, no excuses. The airline staff do their job from this point on and moves them to where they belong.

I've been to countries where I don't speak the language, and when I've made a mistake, well, I've caught on really quickly that I've stuffed up and have behaved appropriately. My errors have involved faux pas such as inadvertently joining the wrong end of a taxi queue, for example - honest mistake, but I've been met with howls of protest and really quickly understood that I need to go to the other end.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: