Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F seat poached by disabled passenger

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2014, 10:13 am

Programs: General member, former 1P
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Ok, so why in the hell would I accept a bun when I paid for a hot dog!? That's just crazy.
Let me give your analogy another try. On a short Q400 flight, everyone is getting plain hot dogs - it doesn't matter if you paid the steak price or the hot dog price. F cabin passengers are still getting a hot dog, just maybe a jumbo hot dog with mustard. I understand there's a principle involved - you paid steak prices, so by G-d you should get a steak. But we've both been in F on Q400s on short hops and we both know that the "steak" is really "a Heineken, a banana and a package of almonds."

This is a bizarre argument. The airline doesn't decide where I sit. I do. I pay for a seat in my ticketed cabin. If some crazy lady decides to try to steal that from me, I say not just "no," but 'HELL NO.' Just like if a crazy lady tried to steal my meal at a restaurant. I really don't give a crap what the waiter says. Or the waterboy. Give me the meal I paid for and get this crazy lady out of my meal. NOW.

Oh hell no. If a crazy person demanded the meal I paid for at a restaurant, I don't give a rat's arse about how the waiter feels. He or she better give me my meal or I will see that they are fired. But in this case the waiter was trying to resolve the situation to the satisfaction of the patron who paid for the meal.
Saying it loudly doesn't make it true. You do not decide where you sit. The airline does. It's their airplane. You can decide whether or not you fly, but ultimately you're sitting where you are told to sit.

Following your restaurant analogy, you may own the food but you don't own the table and chairs. The restaurant does. You'll sit where the restaurant tells you to sit or you'll dine elsewhere. (Please set aside that restaurants that treated its patrons as shabbily as UA customarily does would go out of business in a month.)

Bottom line: show the crew your boarding pass, stand back and let them resolve the situation. No need to get involved.
I think we agree that it's up to the FA to seat passengers properly and not the responsibility of the passenger. A better FA would have ensured that the poacher was seated in her assigned Y seat and that the OP was properly seated in his assigned F seat. But discretion is sometimes the better part of valor, and in this case the OP chose to not press the matter.

Last edited by flavorflav; Jan 24, 2014 at 10:14 am Reason: Clarity
Old Jan 24, 2014, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by flavorflav
But discretion is sometimes the better part of valor, and in this case the OP chose to not press the matter.
"Discretion and Valor" would also apply to dropping the matter once and for all after he did the gentlemanly deed, thus dispensing with the need to share his story with people on here that are prone to take sides and argue about anything involving manly-hood, karma, and standing up for their God-given rights.

Wanna swap seats --- GO AHEAD!
Wanna sit where you are assigned --- pursue the matter, correctly!
Wanna worry about the aircraft pushing back "on time", become a pilot, baggage handler, or g/a!
Wanna let someone else sharper than you sit in your RPUed seat --- GO AHEAD!!!
Old Jan 24, 2014, 11:47 am

as an Indian, sorry.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 12:28 pm

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by jon0
And yes, if the same thing happened on my TCON, or, heaven forbid, EWR-HKG, you bet I'd be making a big stink.
And if you did the same thing on EWR-HKG, the FT community would have you committed

Originally Posted by davidviolin
I have. It was uncomfortable even for the people not involved.
Just like in the classic Seinfeld episode with Elaine

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 24, 2014 at 3:17 pm Reason: merge
Old Jan 24, 2014, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

I wonder if your reaction would have been different if you had paid cash money for the F seat rather than been upgraded to it?
OP Here. I would never have paid outright for an F seat on a Q400, nor would I have wasted an RPU on one. I am also likely to pass on a $10 TOD upgrade on a Q400 if offered. I'm just that cheap.

As for delaying the flight, I can't imagine it taking longer than, what, 3 minutes MAX to move even the feeblist crazy lady from row 2 to row 18 on a Regional jet.
Here's what I imagine might happen:

Initial polite asking by FA: 2 minutes, no effect.
Escalation to captain: 1 minute wait, 2 minutes of prodding, no effect. (And oh, the captain gets to delay running his checklists to deal with this too)
Getting ground staff to come help: 5 minutes wait.
Fetching the aisle chair: 5 minutes.
Forcibly deplaning or relocating passenger: 3 minutes
Documenting the incident for the company: 10 minutes
Getting that DYKWIA feeling: priceless.

And if I remember the op correctly they left 20 mins late anyway. 20 mins. Sitting there at the gate staring at the hot dog in my hand while the crazy lady ate the steak I paid for?
Flight was already delayed 20 minutes when we started boarding, we loaded and left pretty much immediately.

Originally Posted by ani90
Really? So if you don't care for it, why didn't you decline upgrade and just choose a seat in Y? Even with your tight connection, sitting at front of plane is not something you care for?
Just because I don't really care for something doesn't mean it has no value to me, however marginal. If a dollar bill flies out the window while I'm driving down the highway, I'm not going to stop to pick it up because I don't really care for it given the circumstances surrounding what I must do get get it back. However, if I drop a dollar while walking down the road, you bet I'd bend down to pick it up.

Also, sitting up front for the tight connection wasn't too important, since I had gate check I needed to wait for, and also because you could simply say "Excuse me, I have a tight connection" and walk to the front of the plane before the door even opens.

Originally Posted by ani90
The OP said he used an RPU so I presume he did not use it just for this segment (which he says he doesn't care about sitting in F anyway) so maybe he was heading on a transcon or the like.
Yes, this was the starting leg of a TCON itinerary.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by garykung
It will be interesting if we can ask Mod and vote for our options.

I think it is enough for the OP.
I think it was enough for the OP several pages ago. Don't see why there should be a vote - the OP never even asked if people thought what they did was right or wrong. They simply asked how a person who [presumably] was assisted in priority boarding could be seated in their seat, and in the incorrect cabin no less. They never asked if anyone thought it was wrong of them to take the action they did. The responders in this thread (granted, myself included in my initial response, but after noting that point first), took it upon themselves to provide their opinions, some even attacking the OP for dropping the claim to the seat.

Last edited by emcampbe; Jan 24, 2014 at 11:38 pm
Old Jan 24, 2014, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA GS / 1MM, MR Ambassador / LTTE, Hertz Platinum
I would have sent that woman back to coach with her metal brace.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 24, 2014 at 3:17 pm Reason: language
Old Jan 24, 2014, 2:00 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
I love how if you even look at a flight attendant wrong you'll be removed from the flight, but if you just walk up and take an F seat and refuse to move... you'll be fine
Old Jan 24, 2014, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by emcampbe
I think it was enough for the OP several pages ago. Don't see why there should be a vote - the OP never even asked if people thought what they did was right or wrong. They simply asked how a person who [presumably] was assisted in priority boarding could be seated in their seat, and in the incorrect cabin no less. They never asked if anyone thought it was wrong of them to take the action they did. The responders in this thread (granted, myself included in my initial response, but after noting that point first), took it upon themselves to attack the OP for dropping the claim to the seat.
OP here. I never asked people if what I did was right or wrong because, honestly, I never thought it was an issue. I never concerned myself with any possible moral ambiguities because, at the time, my decision was (obviously!) morally right, situationally expedient, and kind.

10 pages of responses have shown me that people do think differently than I do, and places vastly different moral judgements on even the simple act of giving up a premium seat to someone who took it without asking first.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't interested in finding out what frequent flyers think about this situation, correlated by ethnic, religious, and economic background, and frequency of travel, etc. But that's what makes me an information geek...
Old Jan 24, 2014, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Col Ronson
I feel for you man, that F seat was yours. But like you said, a "F" seat on a Q400 is not worth fighting over and risk delaying a flight. If you insisted on your seat most likely they would've had that woman removed from the flight, which honestly probably wouldn't have been worth the trouble.
Nah, they would just have sent her to her assigned seat.

Deboarding her and cancelling the ticket would be the right thing--make poaching carry consequences.

Originally Posted by tomhuber2003
I would have been crystal clear I will sit in my assigned seat even if they have to use a crane and a block and tackle to move the poacher.
Yeah, that would be my inclination.

There are provisions for disabled and I think they should all be accommodated fully and enthusiastically -- these do not include class of service upgrades. It is like suggesting a disabled person who takes the bus deserves limo service just because he/she is disabled.
There are times an upgrade is reasonable. The last flight we took my wife was using the aisle chair. I noticed that somehow we had ended up assigned one row apart rather than next to each other and I talked to the GA to see if it could be fixed. It was--by moving us up to E+. The extra space definitely made it easier on her. Nobody got bumped, though--that would be going too far.

Originally Posted by Flyer420
Do not take this post to be a blanket 'smear' on travelers from the subcontinent, it is not so intended.

That said, I have observed in recent years on EWR-BOM flights, an exponential growth of pax "requiring" wheel chairs. In the past, this
seemed to allow them early boarding, but on my last two flights, the GAs waited until the regular boarding was completed to do the wheel chair loads. Was this just a fluke? I don't know. Are some GAs at EWR a trifle cynical? Is the pope a Catholic?

The interesting thing (and maybe karma does come into this??) was that on arriving Mumbai, several of the pax who had required wheel chairs at EWR were now able to walk briskly down the long passageways to immigration and customs. Maybe there is a healing property afforded by travelling in a UA 777 for 15 hours...

Flyer 420
in the fog in Seattle
Briskly is probably a sign of scamming but some passengers can walk but the security line could be too much for them. There was a period of time where my MIL would have been in that category if faced with modern lines.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 24, 2014 at 9:35 pm Reason: merge
Old Jan 24, 2014, 9:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Bottom line. Send the poacher back to Y. End of story.
FA: Please take your proper seat Mr. "Smith". FA: Poacher get your ... back to Y and take you assigned seat. FA: Can I get you something to drink, Mr. "Smith". Yes I'll have a G&T. Be right back with your pre-flt drink Mr. "Smith". Enjoy your travel on the "New UA" which I am proud to work for. After we reach a safe altitude, what would like me to do? Perhaps another drink, snacks or just a smile. I can provide all three on the new UA.

Mr. Smith is a happy camper and will stick with UA. THAT IS HOW IT IS HANDLED. At least it was until about 3 years ago on UA and still is on DL and AA.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:45 pm

F seat poached by disabled passenger

Disabled or not - I would have forced her to move. I can't believe you capitulated in this way.! Outrageous! ,
Old Jan 26, 2014, 12:07 am

Programs: -=- UA: GS + 3.9 Million Miler; Hilton: Diamond; Marriott: Gold; Hertz: President's Circle
I have simple policy. No way do I ever exchange for a seat that is worse that what my boarding pass says. Equal seat or better seat -- no issue. Worse seat -- no way unless the GA can produce a new boarding pass with my new seat and if class of service difference, with compensation.

UA can find someone else who hasn't flown 2+ Million miles to change their seat.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Did she manage to make it out of her seat unaided or did she have to wait for a crane?
Old Jan 28, 2014, 8:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
I have 0 empathy for this "disabled" passenger. She knew exactly what she was doing, and I would have absolutely demanded that she get up and move, or have assistance come back on board and move her to her originally assigned seat. I would have looked like a total jerk, but that doesn't bother me, especially when someone pulls a stunt like this. Good thing it wasn't my seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.