Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Starting in 2014: Changes to Premier Qualification (PQD) [2014 Edition]

Old Jan 17, 2014, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Please read these sources before posting in this thread:
•First post from UA Insider (post 1) of previous thread

http://www.mileageplusupdates.com/faqs.html

•Additional answers from UA Insider (post 1386)

•more information about questions posed in this thread published to mileageplusupdates.com, per UA Insider
If you have calculated the PQDs for a trip at less than 80% of the total cost, you are very likely doing something wrong. Have you made sure to include the International Surcharge (YQ)? Have you read all of the materials linked above, and the frequently made points listed below?

Specific Unanswered Questions
Please limit these to specific, technical questions about the implementation of the PQD program.
•Will there be a calculator that shows PQD, and will that calculator be accurate?

•What exactly will count toward PQD?
United states:
Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
Flights operated by a Star Alliance® or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
Economy Plus purchases

will count towards PQD.

Thus:

◦The amount of co-pay when using miles to upgrade..
◦The cost of PQMs/RDMs purchased when using the premier / award accelerator..
◦The value of ETCs (or is it considered a discount from the fare?). (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include) -Note: the Mileage plus site indicates ETC's count towards PQD (12/16/13 imgonnafly)
◦The face value e-certs and travel vouchers.. (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include)
◦The cost of a paid upgrade..
◦An extra seat purchase (such as for a customer of size or a musical instrument); it does not presently count toward PQM.
◦Change fees.
will not count toward PQD.

•How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?

•What happens if I depart in December and return in January?
Just like PQM, PQD for the applicable part of fare for the segment is credited based on the departure date (year) of the segment flown. Segment fares are calculated using standard rules of the past. For the case cited there would be PQD credited in DEC 2013 (no value) and PQD applied to 2014 applicable to 2014 and 2015 status renewal.

•How will UA evaluate the address issue for the PQD exemption?

•It is not clear how the timing of achieving the minimum PQD requirement will impact earning RPUs and GPUs. Examples:
◦If someone crosses 75K PQM in say April, but doesn't hit $7500 PQD until December by which time has accrued 200K PQM, will he/she get 10 RPUs all at once? (and 10 GPUs assuming $10k PQD in December)

◦Do only 1Ks/GSs earn additional RPUs by flying beyond the 100k mark?

◦If a 1K crosses the 100,000 PQM mark in January 201x, the $10,000 PQD mark on December 31 201x, and ends up flying a total of 200,000 PQMs for the year 201x, how many RPUs / GPUs will be earned?

◦Will Platinums earn 2 RPUs when crossing the 75k mark but none at incremental levels thereafter (e.g. a Plat who flies 100k EQMs, but does not meet the 1K spend, would *not* earn two more RPUs)?
•How does IRROPs affect earning of PQDs?
◦If a TA commits a plating violation and plates a non eligible ticket on 016 stock, would the PQD still be earned on the ticket?
◦If one travels on a non-016 ticket originally booked non-UA/Copa metal, will one earn PQDs if rebooked onto UA?
◦If one travels on a non-016 ticket originally booked on UA/Copa metal, but is rebooked onto non UA/Copa metal, will one still get credit for PQDs in these scenarios:
■The UA/Copa segment was the source of the irrops?
■The segment of another carrier causes the irrops, the carrier is a *A or UA/Copa partner?
■The segment of another carrier causes the irrops, the carrier is not a *A or UA/Copa partner?
FMP (Frequently Made Points)
The following points have been made repeatedly in this thread (please feel free to add more concise points):
•You might not be hitting the PQD minimums as easily as you think you are, given exceptions, taxes, and the existence of cheap fares.
•It is possible for leisure travelers and even some business travelers to average well under 10cpm. This doesn't just affect "leisure 1Ks" and people on the edge of categories.
•Presidential Plus card members (exempted from Silver/Gold/Plat PQD requirements) are most likely exempted because the FlexPQM program would complicate matters.
•Manufacturing $25,000 spend might not actually be so hard. There's a whole forum on it.
•The exceptions don't really make sense where there is a revenue-sharing joint venture in place, such as with LH on TATL routes.
•Leaving UA for AA over objections to dollar-based status may be futile because all the majors will likely go to this model with the possible exception of the AS program which allows you to bank your DL and AA miles into one account (DL has already).
•UA is tracking spend on UA metal now.
•YQ, also known as the "international surcharge," is a carrier-imposed surcharge and is included in PQD.
Related Threads

•How to book 016 PQD earning tickets when no UA, UX, Copa metal flights are on itinerary.
•Do You Think UA Will Lose a Lot of Revenue With Less MR?
•Any Drawbacks from having MP account registered to foreign address?
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 31, 2013, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

My counters are set to 0 now. Yet, my year labels still say 2013. Will try again in 20 minutes when Chicago is in 2014 and my computer is still in 2013.

Just past midnight in Chicago. Now my year says 2014. No sign of PQD though. Maybe this whole thing was a bad dream (or a different kind of dream for UA executives)

Last edited by username; Dec 31, 2013 at 11:02 pm
Old Jan 17, 2014, 10:27 am

United PQD question

[Mod note: This thread moved from the flame-free Information Desk forum. Thanks for contributing respectful responses.]

United EWR to HKG. I have an option to upgrade to Buisness First for $600 and 30K miles. Would the $600 fee count towards the 2104 PQD. United could not answer the question.

Last edited by jackal; Jan 17, 2014 at 12:57 pm
Old Jan 17, 2014, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
My understanding of the program is that it would not.

However, I'm going to move your thread to the United forum, where the experts can provide additional information. There is a thread there discussing the new PQD changes, where this question comes up quite frequently. (Here is the now-closed 2013 thread with a ton of information in the wiki and in the discussion: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ation-pqd.html -- I assume there's a new 2014 thread somewhere that perhaps someone can link to.)

Please note this thread originated in the flame-free Information Desk forum.

jackal
Moderator, Information Desk
Old Jan 17, 2014, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Gold
Unfortunately, it will not.

Per United, the following 4 items are the only thing that are PQD eligible.
Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
Flights operated by a Star Alliance® or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
Economy Plus purchases

I realize the insanity of Economy Plus purchases being included, but a miles co-pay is not, but that is the current state of the program.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
That said, you can sometimes mitigate the effect of the copay not counting by buying a higher fare class that reduces the copay. I've done this in the past where the copay reduction is greater than the fare increase.

It's still ridiculous that the copay doesn't count. I'm still hoping someone comes to their senses and adds it to the list.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 9:31 am
Suspended

how long for pqd to post on manual credit

Invol to oal
Call after 5 days for manual posting
Pqm drum post after 24 hours
Pqd still processing for the last 72 hours

Other experiences when it will convert to a number? Is it likely to be the correct number?
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:11 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by iflyuaaa
Invol to oal

Other experiences when it will convert to a number? Is it likely to be the correct number?
Ditto involuntary reroute to OAL; PQM posted within 24 hours; PQD "processing" for 5 days now.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:20 am

Programs: GS, 3 MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
Ditto involuntary reroute to OAL; PQM posted within 24 hours; PQD "processing" for 5 days now.
My flights to FRA on UA were cancelled three days in a row in early Jan. Finally moved to a more expensive ticket from UA on LH equipment in D class. UA did not post PQM for the LH flight. After 15 days called to request original PQM credit. The original PQM and PQD posted within a few hours of the call but the fare actually paid was $2500 higher the original ticket price. Don't really care because my PQD will be much higher than 10K.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Has anyone been paying attention to how PQDs are calculated per segment?

It's really a niche case that it matters--someone departing at 10pm 12/31 and continuing on more flights departing later on 1/1 all on a single fare--but it's an interesting thing to note.

My sample size is pretty small--one leg with two segments--but I did the math, and it looks like it's based on a ratio of the mileage rather than (as speculated) a ratio of Y fares or anything else.

I'll keep updating my spreadsheet over the next few months to see if it tracks accordingly. I might start a thread for this, too.

My sample so far (fares retrieved from EF):
IAD-EWR-TLV
Segment 1 mileage:500
Segment 2 mileage: 5692
Segment 1 PQD posted: $8
Segment 2 PQD posted: $92
Segment 1 YUA fare: $1292 (what UA sells as Y)
Segment 2 YUA fare: $2298
Segment 1 Y fare: $2265
Segment 2 Y fare: $2998
Segment 1 IATA YY fare: n/a (apparently IATA YY fares are not filed for domestic segments?)
Segment 2 IATA YY fare: $3476
Mileage ratio: 0.0878
PQD ratio: 0.0870
YUA ratio: 0.562
Y ratio: 0.756
YY ratio: n/a

The match between the mileage ratio and the PQD ratio is almost exact and only off probably due to rounding. it's not even close with the fares.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 11:11 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
How long for PQD to post?

I am Premier Silver, purchased ticket on united.com last week.

I am a Prez+ MC holder, so I think the PQD minimum is waived for me, but it appears they would still track it.

Currently shows $0 still
Old Jan 27, 2014, 11:24 am

Doesnt post until after flight. Same with miles and segments
Old Jan 27, 2014, 11:36 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Simultaneous post with miles. My Friday overnight flight posted, PQD and all, yesterday afternoon.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 3:00 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Simultaneous post with miles. My Friday overnight flight posted, PQD and all, yesterday afternoon.
As did mine ^

Friday night redeye flight miles posted yesterday (Sunday) and all my Saturday flight miles posted today (about 3 hours ago) complete with PQD's for all flights
Old Jan 27, 2014, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by iflyuaaa
Invol to oal

PQDs posted today, one week after I requested ORC.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 9:06 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold/UA Mileage Plus Premier 1K
Earning PQDs and PQMs on *A

This is rarely an issue for me; almost always and intentionally on UA metal. So, bear with me.

I might fly LPQ-BKK-HKG. First leg would be on Thai, second on Ethiopian. Both are *A. I'm trying to figure out, via some partner-related pages on ual.com, how many miles or dollars I'd accrue.

If I'm reading the tables correctly re *A partners, all classes of fix on Ethiopian, and most but not all classes of tix on Thai, will count 100% of miles flown as PQMs. I have no idea, short of going through the motions of buying tix, how many PQDs this itin would net me.

If anyone has any experience or the interest in poking around on this, I'd be very appreciative.

NOTE: To even find possible flight combos to get me from LPQ to HKG, I used Expedia. what i mention above, from the options i was given, would work best for me. All conjecture at this point but, as we've all seen, every mile and dollar really counts, so might as well maximize as best as I'm able.

Thanks for any thoughts/help etc.!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.