Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How many are REALLY leaving UA? [2014 edition]

How many are REALLY leaving UA? [2014 edition]

Old Jan 10, 14, 12:38 pm
  #91  
RNE
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: AKC
Posts: 8,675
Originally Posted by Daichovo View Post
...I will no longer have the opportunity to have decent status. I'm not sure I will even spend $2500 on UA flights this year...I think the final straw for me...
Fair enough. But you do see where UA's coming from on this, right? Its "final straw" is elites who spend <$2.5K annually. In other words, you!

Yes, credit card holders/spenders can limbo under that "straw," but their dance generates money for Jeff Baby.

RNE, not picking on you personally; your post was illustrative.
RNE is offline  
Old Jan 10, 14, 2:47 pm
  #92  
Senior Moderator/Moderator: Coronavirus, United MileagePlus
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Francisco, CA
Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Posts: 12,257
Moderator note

Let's cease the personalized discussion of the motives and posting styles of other members and stay with the topic of the thread: How many are REALLY leaving UA. Discussion has not only gone far away from topic but has just gotten unduly personalized. Posts have been edited/deleted accordingly. Thanks, Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.
Ocn Vw 1K is offline  
Old Jan 10, 14, 8:11 pm
  #93  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA 1K, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat
Posts: 201
Just did my status match to AA, and I'll be on my first AA Flight Jan 31st.

UA never treated me badly. At worst they are indifferent (most of the time), with occasionally stellar and helpful staff.

I've stuck with UA/CO for several years due to:
- Better network
- Best FF Program
- Best international seats (most flatbeds)
- Familiarity with their system.

The devaluation of the FF program this Fall made me think about moving. What finally sealed it was that 5/6 of my flights BEFORE the Winter storm were late and/or cancelled. If UA Can't get me reliably to my destinations, then I'm not willing to endure indifferent service, and IFE-less planes.

I'm not expecting amazing things from AA either. It is doubtful that the grass is much greener on the other side, but hopefully it will be a more pleasant experience, and have better on-time performance.
GeneralVeers is offline  
Old Jan 10, 14, 8:29 pm
  #94  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Benicia CA
Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Posts: 31,812
Originally Posted by GeneralVeers View Post
Just did my status match to AA, and I'll be on my first AA Flight Jan 31st.
What is your home airport?
tom911 is offline  
Old Jan 10, 14, 8:37 pm
  #95  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: LAS HNL
Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Posts: 4,479
The grass is much greener on AA or DL. Much greener.

Next the "new UA" will charge to get peanuts in FC, if you can get a FA to come to your seat after pressing the call button three times.

Bottom line UA employes... Work together, as a team. Team UA.

I won't put the stock or actual facts on here again - as my posts get pulled.
kettle1 is offline  
Old Jan 10, 14, 8:51 pm
  #96  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA 1K, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat
Posts: 201
Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
What is your home airport?
LAS is home.

United = 9 direct flights
AA/US = 9 direct flights
Delta = 10-12 direct flights

I work in South Dakota, which is equally poorly served by AA, UA and Delta.
GeneralVeers is offline  
Old Jan 10, 14, 9:02 pm
  #97  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: LAS HNL
Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Posts: 4,479
Originally Posted by GeneralVeers View Post
LAS is home.

United = 9 direct flights
AA/US = 9 direct flights
Delta = 10-12 direct flights

I work in South Dakota, which is equally poorly served by AA, UA and Delta.
Try Allegiant.
kettle1 is offline  
Old Jan 10, 14, 9:08 pm
  #98  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA 1K, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat
Posts: 201
Originally Posted by kettle1 View Post
Try Allegiant.
I hope you're joking.......a United 1K used to international travel in First or Business even setting foot on Allegiant? I think the very air would burn my flesh and sting my eyes!
GeneralVeers is offline  
Old Jan 10, 14, 9:11 pm
  #99  
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 13,290
Originally Posted by GeneralVeers View Post
I hope you're joking.......a United 1K used to international travel in First or Business even setting foot on Allegiant? I think the very air would burn my flesh and sting my eyes!
I hear they are adding Big Front Seat thingies -- just like NK!
LBJ is offline  
Old Jan 10, 14, 9:13 pm
  #100  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: LAS HNL
Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Posts: 4,479
Originally Posted by GeneralVeers View Post
I hope you're joking.......a United 1K used to international travel in First or Business even setting foot on Allegiant? I think the very air would burn my flesh and sting my eyes!
I was joking.

But UA seems to going the same way. Bottom of the barrel for a major carrier to turn into this.
kettle1 is offline  
Old Jan 10, 14, 9:18 pm
  #101  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA 1K, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat
Posts: 201
Originally Posted by kettle1 View Post
I was joking.

But UA seems to going the same way. Bottom of the barrel for a major carrier to turn into this.
Also I wanted more reliability, not less. Allegiant has one flight per day 3 days a week to SD. If the flight is cancelled, I'm done and can't show up for work.
GeneralVeers is offline  
Old Jan 10, 14, 9:55 pm
  #102  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: IAH
Posts: 11
Leaving UA? Made leap today! Feels so good!

Ok, so big step today people...1K for 2014...it will be my last year for sure.

I was thinking to myself on Jan 1st...would I really make the leap from UA?

Only fly J class transpacific & transatlantic, based in IAH...
Purchased ticket today for business class round trip to Europe...
Paid approx $4400 to fly a superior *A carrier...
(Already switched FF loyalty...status matched as well)
Could have paid $2400 to fly UA J with a crap connection in EWR or ORD.
No thanks, happy to give an extra 2K to an airline that provides superior service, superior hard & soft product. It feels good people! Liberating!
You can do it! Baby steps, baby steps ( :

PS - flew IAH to MIA on Tuesday, returned Wednesday.
Just to test alternatives...flew AA J class to MIA, flew UA J class back to IAH.
One flight was a million times better...FAs, seat, service, catering, on-time, etc.
Anybody guess what airline was better?
johnrosson is offline  
Old Jan 10, 14, 10:02 pm
  #103  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Everywhere you wanna be
Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Posts: 1,657
I'm switching to AA when i get a status match. the premium cabin offerings are so much better in terms of food. the new business seats on the 77W blow anything any other US airline has to offer.

I'll stick with UA just enough to qualify for *G since that's valuable, other than that everything UA does is hardly "flyer friendly." While DL scrambles to add IFE to every seat in their fleet, UA scrambles to remove it. Just visit the Food section on FT and see how awful the food offerings are compared to basically any other carrier. Even RJ flights on AA/DL get meals that aren't served in a box.

Yes they have far too many upgraders to justify paying to improve the premium cabin, but seriously how much money are they really saving offering sub-par food? They're not incentivizing anyone to purchase paid premium cabins if the product continuously sucks.

1) What did you like most about fkaUA or fkaCO? : the only thing i see benefiting from this merger was the extended route network. Thats it. Everything else is of worser quality as explained above. Both PMCO and PMUA had better premium offerings.

2) What changes have had the greatest negative impact on you? Management decisions based on short term gains instead of long term growth.

3) What remains about the current UA that makes it hard for you to leave? Star Alliance.

4) What airlines are you considering switching to? AA

5) What benefits / improvements do you expect on your new airline? Improved premium service.

6) What aspects of the new airline make it hard for you to switch to them? Oneworld is rather lacking as an alliance, but better than skyteam.
Col Ronson is offline  
Old Jan 10, 14, 10:05 pm
  #104  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 5,825
Originally Posted by johnrosson View Post
Ok, so big step today people...1K for 2014...it will be my last year for sure.

I was thinking to myself on Jan 1st...would I really make the leap from UA?

Only fly J class transpacific & transatlantic, based in IAH...
Purchased ticket today for business class round trip to Europe...
Paid approx $4400 to fly a superior *A carrier...
(Already switched FF loyalty...status matched as well)
Could have paid $2400 to fly UA J with a crap connection in EWR or ORD.
No thanks, happy to give an extra 2K to an airline that provides superior service, superior hard & soft product. It feels good people! Liberating!
You can do it! Baby steps, baby steps ( :

PS - flew IAH to MIA on Tuesday, returned Wednesday.
Just to test alternatives...flew AA J class to MIA, flew UA J class back to IAH.
One flight was a million times better...FAs, seat, service, catering, on-time, etc.
Anybody guess what airline was better?
You paid $2,000 extra for one flight?

Neither my home boss nor my work boss would approve of that.

Regardless, as a paid J flyer, what does status on any airline offer you above the 'status' of being a paid J passenger?

If we could all fly so well!
LarkSFO is offline  
Old Jan 10, 14, 10:07 pm
  #105  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PHX/SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 46,477
Originally Posted by Col Ronson View Post
I'm switching to AA when i get a status match. the premium cabin offerings are so much better in terms of food. the new business seats on the 77W blow anything any other US airline has to offer.
And AA has them on five whole routes!
Kacee is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: