Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How many are REALLY leaving UA? [2014 edition]

How many are REALLY leaving UA? [2014 edition]

Old Jun 19, 14, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold 2014 - Silver 2018
I have been with United since 1981 and flying once or twice per year, even flew First Class in 747 with upper deck lounge, etc. I have been 1P and Gold for the past 8 years since moving from HNL to LAS. I got upgraded 90% of the time except for the last 18 months with 2 upgrades total.

I will probably use up my 430K miles and then probably go with Hawaiian Air for nonstop flts from LAS to HNL which now makes more sense, no need to stop in LAX or SFO to get to HNL. Thanks United, you have convinced me to change carriers at last.

(Sorry, double posted in another thread)
Old Jun 19, 14, 7:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by daffy99 View Post
Of course I looked -- all 5 codeshare flights (11000 PQM's), all on 016 tickets, show up as "ineligible" in my dollar total. So far this year I have 20 segments, crediting >63k miles, but less than $5k PQD's.
Assuming those flights are on UA partners (and not, for example, EI) that's pretty clearly a mistake. Any chance they're LH codeshares? There's a known problem with LH flights failing to credit properly.

In any event, you should write 1kvoice, lay out the details, and request PQD credit.
Old Jun 19, 14, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
With all the changes "we should like" and the inefficient 1kvoice (take a month to give a response that failed to address any of my questions), I am planning to leave UA early next year once I cross the MM line.
Old Jun 19, 14, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Of course I looked -- all 5 codeshare flights (11000 PQM's), all on 016 tickets, show up as "ineligible" in my dollar total. So far this year I have 20 segments, crediting >63k miles, but less than $5k PQD's. If this was a mistake on UA's part, then your snarky comment should have been rephrased as "UA may lose customers just because UA doesn't read/comprehend their own rules."
Can you provide details of the codeshares? Carriers, fare class, etc? If you aren't interested in why your codeshares aren't counting, there are numerous others here who are. Everyone else is getting their PQDS from their codeshares. Are you crediting your flights somewhere else, maybe?
Old Jun 19, 14, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K / CO PLT
Just booked SFO-LAX-NRT-LAX-SFO business class on Virgin America connecting onto Singapore Airlines. didn't mind the connection, and more than that had no desire whatsoever to give money to UA or ANA (just because they do revenue sharing.) First time flying Singapore airlines and look forward to it.
Old Jun 20, 14, 12:53 am

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
Everyone else is getting their PQDS from their codeshares.
Actually, there's a well known problem with LH flights incorrectly showing as PQD "ineligible."
Old Jun 20, 14, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Actually, there's a well known problem with LH flights incorrectly showing as PQD "ineligible."
But one can get credit, eventually? Interested in this because fine is flying LH FCO-MUC on 7th (UA code share on 016). ANA and Brussels no problems.
Old Jun 20, 14, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
But one can get credit, eventually? Interested in this because fine is flying LH FCO-MUC on 7th (UA code share on 016). ANA and Brussels no problems.
Yes eventually. But it often requires follow-up and manual posting of PQDs.
Old Jun 20, 14, 5:02 am
RNE

Originally Posted by oldmonster View Post
With all the changes "we should like" and the inefficient 1kvoice (take a month to give a response that failed to address any of my questions), I am planning to leave UA early next year once I cross the MM line.
Originally Posted by saaws View Post
Just booked SFO-LAX-NRT-LAX-SFO business class on Virgin America connecting onto Singapore Airlines. didn't mind the connection, and more than that had no desire whatsoever to give money to UA or ANA (just because they do revenue sharing.)
Thank you, both.
Old Jun 20, 14, 6:04 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
I have been 1K the last 5 years, including this year. I left.
44/44 upgrades on AA this year. I've been EXP the last 4 years.
With the continuing decline of UA I have no desire to split my business between UA and AA. I've had 0 flights on UA this year.
Old Jun 20, 14, 7:29 am

Programs: EK Gold, Bonvoy Silver
I just booked my first non-Star Alliance flight for long hauls since probably 2007, and the first TA non-United flight that I can remember. DXB-ORD in J on EK, $2000 less than UA unless I wanted to connect in FRA.

I feel like I am cheating on my wife, but of course United is acting just like that spoiled b1tch as well! I hope this divorce creates the same happiness the one with my wife did!
Old Jun 20, 14, 11:58 am

Programs: UA 1k MM
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Thanks for the info; yes, in fact all were on LH so I guess that explains the "Ineligible" tag. I will contact 1K Voice and get them counted...
Old Jun 20, 14, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by perezoso View Post
I am leaving as of today.

Well, I do have to fly home on Tuesday.

And I will burn my banked miles.

But no more revenue from me, SMI/J. Go suck eggs.
That's the spirit!

It will probably take me a couple of years to fully transition away from the status seeking game (as opposed to getting whatever comes naturally from seeking the best deals, and getting out of trips when I can), but I'm on my way. Booked to Premier Gold this year, but unlikely to book anything else on UA this year unless I have a really compelling reason to do so. Similar with Delta, but at least their flying experience as a low level elite (and in general) is a little better so I'll probably give them preference over Delta. In the unlikely event that AA doesn't follow suit with UA and AA, my future could have more AA flying, but I'm not optimistic about that. But if all have equally junky elite benefits going forward I'll still have a preference of AA and DL over UA.

Will be flying more international carriers than I ever use to beginning next year especially.
Old Jun 20, 14, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the info; yes, in fact all were on LH so I guess that explains the "Ineligible" tag. I will contact 1K Voice and get them counted...
Glad you're not rolling over and assuming they don't count...
Old Jun 20, 14, 4:22 pm

Moved to SWA and have not looked back. I have no intention of returning. Live in Houston. Wife travels international and convinced her to move to AA/OW.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: