Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How many are REALLY leaving UA? [2014 edition]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many are REALLY leaving UA? [2014 edition]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2014, 5:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Hartmann
I have been conflicted on what to do.

We have been hub captive in Houston but are moving to Portland, OR. UA's PDX-EWR morning flight is a good fit for my work schedule and better than DL's PDX-JFK timing (and location).

With UA cutting SEA/LAX from PDX my options for the west coast are limited to connections in SFO, which isn't always convenient.

The mileage earning cuts will impact me (in some cases significantly) but I understand why they are doing it.

My biggest problems are operational reliability, service during issues, and just the product offering being poor. I have had a number of cancelled and delayed flights where I offered solutions and was promptly shut down by agents (both phone and in person). In one instance I was in paid F and delayed enough for really tight connection in DEN. I asked to be put on DL via SLC and was told "there's no space on DL", yet I was able to buy an F seat on DL with no problems with the same flight numbers I fed UA.

AS is really attractive to me. They no longer have a PDX-NYC flight but using them for west coast flights seems like a great way to get around and their product looks decent.

I am wondering if I should just completely switch to a mix of DL/AS...
AS would be an option except they just spent $500M ruining the interior of their cabins. Someone just posted a thread there asking if someone should fly HA vs AS. Even in AS's own forum, it was unanimous to do HA. It's sad. Delta is pressuring them now and with the poorly thought out new product they likely won't be around longer than 2-3 years.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 7:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Would the AS program be viable if you mostly plan to fly DL, AF/KLM, AA and BA to accumulate the miles and probably redeem for awards?
Old Jun 18, 2014, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by ou81two
Delta is pressuring them now and with the poorly thought out new product they likely won't be around longer than 2-3 years.
Poppycock.

The changes to the cabin are bad no doubt, but AS isn't going under. Now, that's not to say they might not merge with someone eventually, but their following is fiercely loyal.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 7:45 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Poppycock.
Ahem. That's my line.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 7:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by wco81
Would the AS program be viable if you mostly plan to fly DL, AF/KLM, AA and BA to accumulate the miles and probably redeem for awards?
AS and DL are on the toad to divorce...fwiw
Old Jun 18, 2014, 7:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Cargojon
AS and DL are on the toad to divorce...fwiw
And an ugly toad it is indeed

fwiw, there are others who will say that DL still needs the AS feed into SEA and that this dysfunctional marriage will continue despite the public spats.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by chitownflyer
After March 1, 2015, I predict there will be a massive exit of elites from United due to the implementation of the devalued and reduced RDM earnings program....
Poppycock.

If someone was to leave 3/1/15, they might as well leave January 1. Why accumulate 2015 PQM/PQD mileage for 2016 if you're leaving 3/1/15? Might as well be at your new carrier of choice 1/1/15.

Many will stay because UA still (for them) provides convenience and schedule.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jun 18, 2014 at 9:26 pm
Old Jun 18, 2014, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM
The loyalty has been obliterated...

The 2014 PQD fiasco is the thing that will push me away - I'll end the year with >100k EQM's, but several of the flights have been code-shares so although my 016 ticket costs will be considerably greater than $10k, my $$s on UA metal will be a couple of thousand under the $10k limit. So no 1K next year and time to move on...

Actually as a 1MM there are still some perks that they haven't snatched away yet so I'll fly UA if ever the price is low enough to justify the crappy product, but what the latest devaluations have done is turn a loyal consecutive 10+ year 1K into a 'whatever is cheapest and most convenient' shop-arounder. And with the limited PHX and PDX options after US departed, that's unlikely to be UA.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
On UA: 2010 105,000 (1k); 2011: 120,000 miles (1k); 2012: 117,000 miles (1k); 2013: 118,000 miles (1k); 2014: 0 (zero) miles. Yes, I have left (for AA).
Old Jun 18, 2014, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by daffy99
The 2014 PQD fiasco is the thing that will push me away - I'll end the year with >100k EQM's, but several of the flights have been code-shares so although my 016 ticket costs will be considerably greater than $10k, my $$s on UA metal will be a couple of thousand under the $10k limit. So no 1K next year and time to move on...

Actually as a 1MM there are still some perks that they haven't snatched away yet so I'll fly UA if ever the price is low enough to justify the crappy product, but what the latest devaluations have done is turn a loyal consecutive 10+ year 1K into a 'whatever is cheapest and most convenient' shop-arounder. And with the limited PHX and PDX options after US departed, that's unlikely to be UA.
"The loyalty has been obliterated..."(by my misunderstanding of the rules)

Take some time to read the rules. If you are where you say you are in $ and miles, you'll probably be 1K again. The $10k does not have to all be on UA metal. Only 4 UA segments are needed. It could be a $300 round-trip with a connection each way. The 016 codeshares count toward the $10k. I just a took an ANA flight. Those dollars showed up in my PQD total.

Are you claiming none of the money you've spent on 016 codeshares is showing up in your account total? Have you looked?

UA may lose customers just because said passengers don't read/comprehend.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jun 18, 2014 at 10:41 pm
Old Jun 19, 2014, 5:08 am
RNE

Originally Posted by relangford
On UA: 2010 105,000 (1k); 2011: 120,000 miles (1k); 2012: 117,000 miles (1k); 2013: 118,000 miles (1k); 2014: 0 (zero) miles. Yes, I have left (for AA).
Naw. You're still dyed in the wool. If you had really left you wouldn't still be here wailing about it.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Many will stay because UA still (for them) provides convenience and schedule.
Unfortunate, but true. I am counting on a lot of mercurial malcontents making for the exits so my 2015 Platinum status will have more importance.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
UA may lose customers just because said passengers don't read/comprehend.
This!
Old Jun 19, 2014, 5:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plt, Hilton Gold, BA Silver, GE
UA left me for dead so I've REALLY left, right? ;-)

Only 1 UA flight in 2014 so far. 1 more paid UA flight then done.

Last edited by GDaoV; Jun 19, 2014 at 5:58 am Reason: .
Old Jun 19, 2014, 6:20 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RNE
I am counting on a lot of mercurial malcontents making for the exits so my 2015 Platinum status will have more importance.
This is my thinking as well. Perhaps a few more gold/plat CPUs on a substandard product versus zero upgrades on a premium product? I'll be surprised if this comes to fruition flying from DEN or SFO. Also I like the drama
Old Jun 19, 2014, 6:25 am

Programs: UA MM
I am leaving as of today.

Well, I do have to fly home on Tuesday.

And I will burn my banked miles.

But no more revenue from me, SMI/J. Go suck eggs.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 8:13 am

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
Originally Posted by RNE
Unfortunate, but true. I am counting on a lot of mercurial malcontents making for the exits so my 2015 Platinum status will have more importance.
I would not be so certain that it will have a major impact upon your customer experience, especially due to the emphasis on TODs and ancillary revenue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.