Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How many are REALLY leaving UA? [2014 edition]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2014, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JC1976
Trying to understand R class. R class means its available upgrade using miles but not necessarily using gpu?
No, available to both miles and GPUs, along with RPUs (domestic/non-PS-BF flights for the latter)
Old Jan 1, 2015, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by KenInEscazu
They put me in that Red Roof Inn one time, and I've also been put in the Park Inn one night along with (literally) 100+ other people when a late flight was canceled. I was at the end of the line, and they had two people working the desk. At least the Park Inn had a restaurant.
Most recently I got put into a Best Western while a no-status girl in front of us got the Westin in SFO. She was flying coach and we were on miles upgraded Business First. To add salt to it, the Best Western shuttle already had their last pickup and if I didn't call them after waiting 10 minutes, we would still be waiting for the shuttle at the airport! And that's after the rebooking agent called the hotel confirming shuttle is still running.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by danielchee
Most recently I got put into a Best Western while a no-status girl in front of us got the Westin in SFO. She was flying coach and we were on miles upgraded Business First. To add salt to it, the Best Western shuttle already had their last pickup and if I didn't call them after waiting 10 minutes, we would still be waiting for the shuttle at the airport! And that's after the rebooking agent called the hotel confirming shuttle is still running.
I remember seeing this post and forgot to follow up on it...did you ask why you couldn't get the Westin too? Was it sold out after her?
Old Jan 1, 2015, 9:47 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes

With Delta seemingly removing one of the last major obstacles (Poor Award Avail and now allowing One-Way Awards), was this a last straw for some holdouts ?. As a NYC flyer, Delta is a lot better out of NYC than AA, and their impossible and expensive redemptions were a huge problem for me.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 4:48 am
Original Member

Programs: 1k UA, UA MM, AA EXPlat

I will get them when I re qualify in February
Old Jan 2, 2015, 9:23 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
No, available to both miles and GPUs, along with RPUs (domestic/non-PS-BF flights for the latter)
Right - and the significant thing is that if R class is available (R>0), the upgrade should clear immediately (at least for one being made then - an existing waitlist entry might take some time to clear, allowing someone to claim it in the meantime unless you are very proactive, which is the subject of another, lengthy thread). Upgrade at booking is the important thing to me. I will often pay for one or more legs in business class to avoid taking a chance with the waitlist, because you cannot depend that R will ever come up, let alone that it will go to you.

However, I have until recently been finding that fully refundable economy AF TATL with O class (their R class) available for instant upgrade is less than paying for business oubound to Europe on UA, then using miles for an upgrade on the return (which being a daytime flight is easier to find). Next year, it is looking like the reverse, even before getting lucky and finding R class on the outbound. Still with UA's 550USD each way fuel charge, I am still paying 2700USD in cash with 40K miles, so I don't feel like UA is exactly losing money. On quiet days, I have seen them charge as little as 2900USD for business class outright on these routes.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 9:57 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Time to put the 2014 thread to bed and continue the discussion in the 2015 thread here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...5-edition.html

goalie
UA Forum Co-Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.