Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How many are REALLY leaving UA? [2014 edition]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many are REALLY leaving UA? [2014 edition]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2014, 12:49 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by tom911
Back in 2012, AA did offer the systemwides up front with a 1K status match (not a challenge), but in the two years since, the offer of systemwides with a status match/challenge has not always been the case. If they're consistently offering them now after completion of a challenge, that's good news. That's why I'm curious if Yanks08802 was also offered systemwides just from his activity from the 1K challenge. I'd also note that one 1K flyer said he was given EXP status up front before starting his challenge, so there might be a couple variations. He also got systemwides after completion. Did they give you EXP status before your first flight?
When I did mine at the end of June, I was given EXP status right away and after earning 25K EQPs the SWUs posted in my account within 48 hours.

I was impressed with how AA worked with me on getting me set up for my EXP Challenge. Originally, I had a ton of questions - particularly how long will my EXP status be good for - and the agent who took care of my case was fantastic. She answered every single question I had and shared the full details of the challenge to ensure I can properly prepare myself for the challenge. I was not quite ready to hit the gas at the time, but she simply said when you are ready to start just let us know - via reply - and when I was ready, they took care of everything in less than 24 hours.

I also found out that my status would have only been good through Feb 2015 and after pleading my case at the time, they apparently agreed to let my EXP be valid through Feb 2016 as my account and credentials reflected 2/2016.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 12:59 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by golfingboy
I also found out that my status would have only been good through Feb 2015 and after pleading my case at the time, they apparently agreed to let my EXP be valid through Feb 2016 as my account and credentials reflected 2/2016.
The time frame for paid challenges is covered in the AA wiki for Golds (25K) and Platinums (50K), so AA probably uses the same criteria for someone coming in at the EXP level from UA on a free challenge. Definitely worth reading that part to get a sense how the dates work out.
http://flyerguide.com/Challenge_(AA)
Old Dec 23, 2014, 1:33 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
I have learned, I think, from this thread and last years version.

There is a certain vintage of UA flyer, who for a period of time, were treated extremely well by UA in the areas that matter most to these flyers. It appears to me from reading their current complaints that UA really focused more effort and attention on these elite flyers, to make their experience better.

With the merger, changes, cost cutting, etc., this perception (or reality) of elite differentiation has been reduced or disappeared.

As a more recent vintage UA elite flyer, I do not have any memory of being treated better than I am now at some time in the past. I've tried AA, as an elite. I've flown DL, a little, difficult to do ex-SFO. I am Gold on VX, now for two years.

My opinion is that they are more the same than they are different, today.

VX would get more of my business, if they flew more places.

But, UA adequately (not perfectly) serves my needs as a primarily domestic, SFO based traveler.
So, if VX flew there, you would rather fly VX (and flew them enough, despite the smaller network, to be gold) which does not say a lot about how great UA is.

But the issue then becomes, why go with UA for the rest? I'm also SFO based, once I dropped out of GS (by shifting traffic to Delta, VX, and other carriers to avoid connecting or RJs on UA) then what is UA's draw? Not much....

e.g. I have trips to PHL and Green Bay coming up. PHL on UA is Y in a slimmed/dark A320/A319, even as a 1K (which I still am till 2/1) I'm not getting upgraded. No way I ride on that plane for that long. So I'll either buy a cheap F fare on AA direct, or buy a connecting F fare on DL.

Green Bay? UA is likely to misconnect me with its poor 79-80% OT, plus its a ERJ-145 for the last flight, and the 'good' connection is a A320 to ORD (see comment on going to PHL on that slimmed/dark plane). I just did the A320 in the exit row ORD-SFO (change of equipment), not again. Delta? Well its the same price, but the second flight is on a CRJ-900 or 700, and Delta is not likely to misconnect me with its 86-87% OT and better IRROPS. So who do I take? Who would you take on these flights?

And the bottom line is that after a year of choices like this, UA got $4800 in spending from me, and I'll be my MM status (gold) next year, creating even less incentive to fly UA. And as this thread (and the yield and PRASM figures) shows, I'm not the only one.

Originally Posted by halls120
Not exactly correct, I'm afraid. Part of the reason airplanes are full is because there are fewer seats available. Unless, of course, United has been secretly adding capacity under our noses.
Actually, they have slightly added capacity, but they did so by adding more seats to the Airbus/CRJ700 fleets with "slimming". The number of frames is down.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by spin88
So, if VX flew there, you would rather fly VX (and flew them enough, despite the smaller network, to be gold) which does not say a lot about how great UA is.
I did say UA is adequate - I did not say they are great.

But, as I said, I don't think any airline in the US today is great. Even VX.

But the issue then becomes, why go with UA for the rest? I'm also SFO based, once I dropped out of GS (by shifting traffic to Delta, VX, and other carriers to avoid connecting or RJs on UA) then what is UA's draw? Not much....

e.g. I have trips to PHL and Green Bay coming up. PHL on UA is Y in a slimmed/dark A320/A319, even as a 1K (which I still am till 2/1) I'm not getting upgraded. No way I ride on that plane for that long. So I'll either buy a cheap F fare on AA direct, or buy a connecting F fare on DL.

Green Bay? UA is likely to misconnect me with its poor 79-80% OT, plus its a ERJ-145 for the last flight, and the 'good' connection is a A320 to ORD (see comment on going to PHL on that slimmed/dark plane). I just did the A320 in the exit row ORD-SFO (change of equipment), not again. Delta? Well its the same price, but the second flight is on a CRJ-900 or 700, and Delta is not likely to misconnect me with its 86-87% OT and better IRROPS. So who do I take? Who would you take on these flights?

And the bottom line is that after a year of choices like this, UA got $4800 in spending from me, and I'll be my MM status (gold) next year, creating even less incentive to fly UA. And as this thread (and the yield and PRASM figures) shows, I'm not the only one.
In my case, 'the rest' is actually the majority. So, in August when I reviewed YTD and looked at the remainder of 2014, I realized that I had a chance to achieve 1K again.

In my case, I then said "Why should I fly another airline when, if I give most of 'the rest' of my flying to UA, I will achieve 1K again."

I am glad you are happy with the move you made spin.

I am happy with my choice as well.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
Looks like I'm not completely "leaving" yet. I need to do a RT DFW-SMF-DFW in January.

AA - $696 in Y
UA - $322 in Y or $698 in F

Yes, AA has non-stops, but the timing of departures actually work better for me on UA. Plus, although I'm enjoying the move to AA, it certainly isn't enough to be worth an additional 116%.

This is likely going to be an ongoing problem for me for flights originating at DFW. Although I live in Latin America, I'm frequently in Dallas for family reasons during my U.S. trips, so this is going to take some additional strategy that I had not planned.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 3:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)

I checked a couple mid-week dates in both January and February: SFO to PHL. UA seems to run 737's on that route - not A320s. AA has more flights per day because PHL is/was a US Air hub. I didn't find any F bargains on AA - E was identical to UA and F was $1844 on AA, $1265 on UA. It's just one set of dates (Jan 13-15), but...

And if you do end up taking US Air to PHL, they have "choice" seats which, as far as I can tell, have no extra legroom, they just sit you closer to the front. They don't seem to have E+.

If you are planning a little farther out, there seems to be lots of R space for Feb flights on UA, SFO->PHL..

Last edited by StingWest; Dec 27, 2014 at 3:36 pm
Old Dec 27, 2014, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
We'll, UA made a kind Christmas Gesture after a few major issues, I will NOT be leaving UA in 2015. I'll continue to fly WN on UA Express flights, but UA will win most of the other mainline flights.

Kudos to UA for making it right and going above and beyond.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by KenInEscazu
This is likely going to be an ongoing problem for me for flights originating at DFW. Although I live in Latin America, I'm frequently in Dallas for family reasons during my U.S. trips, so this is going to take some additional strategy that I had not planned.
@KenInEscazu, Southwest is advertising "free live TV on your own device". But it is Southwest.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by KenInEscazu
Looks like I'm not completely "leaving" yet. I need to do a RT DFW-SMF-DFW in January.

AA - $696 in Y
UA - $322 in Y or $698 in F

Yes, AA has non-stops, but the timing of departures actually work better for me on UA. Plus, although I'm enjoying the move to AA, it certainly isn't enough to be worth an additional 116%.

Try hidden city on your return?
Old Dec 29, 2014, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by tom911
Back in 2012, AA did offer the systemwides up front with a 1K status match (not a challenge), but in the two years since, the offer of systemwides with a status match/challenge has not always been the case. If they're consistently offering them now after completion of a challenge, that's good news. That's why I'm curious if Yanks08802 was also offered systemwides just from his activity from the 1K challenge. I'd also note that one 1K flyer said he was given EXP status up front before starting his challenge, so there might be a couple variations. He also got systemwides after completion. Did they give you EXP status before your first flight?
Sorry for the late reply. AA did give me immediate EXP status for the 90 day period, but it wasn't much of a benefit. My travel pattern is light in the last quarter, so I purchased almost exclusively premium cabin tickets for the entire challenge period. The exception was a "points run," which was also a shopping run for me (SJO based) to MCO on 12/24. I knew the traffic would be light that evening, particularly among elites, and I did get the UGs on both segments for a very low fare. That offset some of the pain of basically buying my EXP status.

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Try hidden city on your return?
AA is pretty tough on rules, and I'm not willing to try any tricks that might put my rather costly status at risk. I like AA on the routes I have been flying, and the last thing I want is to end up on a blacklist with them after all of this. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, National Ex Elite
So I've made the choice to "try" out AA for 2015. I've been UA Platinum for the last few years and have the Presidential Plus card where I spent over $40k for at least the last 5 years. I haven't asked for a challenge or status match yet, I'm trying to book some travel in hopes of getting the status up front (I won't have an issue completing the challenge in Q1, only wish they counted CX flights).

Even with this, I figure I should be able to get AA Platinum and keep UA Platinum for 2016 and make a decision at the end of next year which one to move forward with. We don't know if AA will change to a revenue based system and I'm waiting to see if the change with UA actually reduced the number of elites.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 6:49 am
RNE

Originally Posted by Mferrari24
We don't know if AA will change to a revenue based system and I'm waiting to see if the change with UA actually reduced the number of elites.
Flying the coop is fine, but delusion is not. Most of us know AA will change to a revenue-based system. Enjoy your year of reprieve.

RNE, taking the OP's doubt to an extreme: we don't know the sun will rise tomorrow; let's assume it won't and proceed accordingly.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RNE
Flying the coop is fine, but delusion is not. Most of us know AA will change to a revenue-based system. Enjoy your year of reprieve.
No such thing is known. The content of your post is pure unsupported speculation and appears to be an effort to justify a foolhardy decision to remain with an awful airline that lies to its passengers and treats them with utter disdain.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by RNE

RNE, taking the OP's doubt to an extreme: we don't know the sun will rise tomorrow; let's assume it won't and proceed accordingly.
Even it's one year....
Why do people want to suffer a whole one year with UA instead of enjoying one year with other airlines?
Old Dec 30, 2014, 1:44 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by RNE

Is this the same "Most of us know" that AA will get rid of certs and go to the Unlimited complimentary upgrade system ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.