Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "United SYD/MEL Flight Delays or Cancellations" Thread [2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "United SYD/MEL Flight Delays or Cancellations" Thread [2014]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2014, 1:34 am

Isn't there still an extra 747 in syd from cancelled syd - sfo on 1/17/14? Has that aircraft returned to service yet?
Old Jan 20, 2014, 2:17 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
They're going to have to do more than just a PQD exemption to keep me interested in any UA TransPac flight when I have options that work - eg AC and NZ ( not to mention QF and DL ).
Old Jan 20, 2014, 4:13 am
QBK
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
I'm getting my popcorn ready now. I scrounged R availability on Wednesday's 870... which, in theory, is on time. Unless anything else goes wrong in the next 40 hours... in which case I think I'm in cranky class.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 4:24 am

Programs: UA Plat
Hhhmmm... Booked on UA840 on 22/1... Popcorn is already in the microwave, this should be amusing...

Z...
Old Jan 20, 2014, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ozflier
Flight status webpage confirms that UA 839 out of LAX on 19 January is canx!

This will mean delayed of cancellation of one of the services on 21 january depending on whether an additional a/c is found.

No info re cause of canx but would be great if it happened early to allow for same day rebooking.
Weird, because Sunday night they ferried a 747 from SFO to LAX, to arrive at gate 77, where 839 was supposed to depart. I guess the flight down to LAX was too much and something broke!

Originally Posted by master029
Isn't there still an extra 747 in syd from cancelled syd - sfo on 1/17/14? Has that aircraft returned to service yet?
No, it flew back on Sunday AM to SFO as a 68XX flight.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 7:01 pm

Flight status webpage confirms that UA 839 out of LAX on 19 January is canx!
Seems like crew legality but don't know why.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Flying SYD-SFO on Thursday, keeping my fingers crossed.

With all the recent issues and potential rebookings, I'm happy I booked C and didn't try to upgrade.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA & DL Gold
Originally Posted by flyinbob
Weird, because Sunday night they ferried a 747 from SFO to LAX, to arrive at gate 77, where 839 was supposed to depart. I guess the flight down to LAX was too much and something broke!

No, it flew back on Sunday AM to SFO as a 68XX flight.
Any idea what the problem was in Sydney that prevented them from flying it with passengers to the US? They ferried it back as UA6873 on the 19th, directly to SFO. It seems unlikely that UA was able to rebook an entire 747 on other carriers/routes....

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/U...830Z/YSSY/KSFO

Flightaware shows that it flew the more or less normal route up to 41,000 ft, so that seems to rule out 3 engine ferry (or similar).
Old Jan 20, 2014, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, VA Plat, EY Gold
Originally Posted by flyerbjorn

With all the recent issues and potential rebookings, I'm happy I booked C and didn't try to upgrade.
Say hi!
Old Jan 20, 2014, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA, 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by flyerbjorn

Flying SFO-SYD on Friday, keeping my fingers, toes and anything else that can be crossed, crossed.

Unfortunately, waitlisted for BF with GPU on the least likely upgradeable day of the week. Think I am toast either way....
Old Jan 20, 2014, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Originally Posted by debracey
Flightaware shows that it flew the more or less normal route up to 41,000 ft, so that seems to rule out 3 engine ferry (or similar).
With no passengers and no cargo the plane would have the same or better performance on 3 then it would fully loaded on 4
Old Jan 21, 2014, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by IainC
Flying SFO-SYD on Friday, keeping my fingers, toes and anything else that can be crossed, crossed.

Unfortunately, waitlisted for BF with GPU on the least likely upgradeable day of the week. Think I am toast either way....
I was in your position SFO-SYD on thursday 16 january.

Booked ,applied a GPU in august and waitlisted . BF seatmap went from 29 empty seats on initial booking to 6 empties at 24 hours to departure.

I initially made no 1 on wl according to flight status page but ended up no 3 at gate.

Looks like one F pax no showed so no 1 on wl pax made it to BF.

Even in E+ , it is not pleasant way to fly.

With the reduction coming in seating with the 777s, I wonder how much longer UA elites are going to see them having decent chances of getting upgraded or award BF seats. Sooner or later , our fellow flyers, particularly those who aren't arriving or leaving SYD / MEL on United are going to think " well if I am going to have to fly in economy , I might as well fly with an airline with a decent product eg QF or NZ "

Good luck to you.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 5:22 am

Programs: UA, 1K 2MM
I was in your position SFO-SYD on thursday 16 january.

Booked ,applied a GPU in august and waitlisted . BF seatmap went from 29 empty seats on initial booking to 6 empties at 24 hours to departure.

I initially made no 1 on wl according to flight status page but ended up no 3 at gate.

Looks like one F pax no showed so no 1 on wl pax made it to BF.

Even in E+ , it is not pleasant way to fly.

With the reduction coming in seating with the 777s, I wonder how much longer UA elites are going to see them having decent chances of getting upgraded or award BF seats. Sooner or later , our fellow flyers, particularly those who aren't arriving or leaving SYD / MEL on United are going to think " well if I am going to have to fly in economy , I might as well fly with an airline with a decent product eg QF or NZ "

Good luck to you.
Thanks ozflier - the unlikely just happened and I received an email from UA informing me that my upgrade request for Friday's SFO-SYD flight has cleared, so I am feeling very lucky and relieved. Now let's hope there are no Mx issues...

Totally agree with your comments regarding elite upgrade chances with the introduction of the 777s. Time will tell also as to whether the 777s are more reliable than the 744s.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 5:36 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
I might as well fly with an airline with a decent product eg QF or NZ "
So you enjoy a 31" seat pitch over 34"?
Having flown both QF and NZ in Y long haul in the last 30 days
The UA Y+ hard product >>> anyone elses Y product except for reliability
Old Jan 21, 2014, 6:08 am
QBK
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by LordTentacle
So you enjoy a 31" seat pitch over 34"?
Having flown both QF and NZ in Y long haul in the last 30 days
The UA Y+ hard product >>> anyone elses Y product except for reliability
The switch to 777 devalues the J product for upgraders (747 is better in J and has more upgrade availability) but brings the Y product much closer to parity with other carriers (AVOD, mainly, and E+ legroom compensates for deficiencies in the soft product). I suspect it will be largely a wash, even for savvy flyers.

Personally, I see it as an overall downer. I always get Row 45 aisles on the 747, which is better than any seat on the 777, and I bring enough entertainment for myself. So I'm facing a reduction in upgrade space, plus a reduction in legroom, for the minor benefit of AVOD. But I'll still book UA for the chance at the upgrade, and because of Fly America.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.