Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

So how long until UA eliminates guests in clubs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So how long until UA eliminates guests in clubs?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: AADULtArer
I don't see how eliminating guests in the UC alleviates crowding. Won't the bodies still occupy the same space?
Old Jan 11, 2014, 10:53 am

Of interest I called to cancel my AMEX DELTA Reserve card and the agent I spoke with said that she received 11 calls to cancel the card already due to DELTA's impeding change, so AMEX may not bee too happy about the change if the pace of calls continues.

Dan
Old Jan 11, 2014, 11:43 am

I've never had a complaint with the UC. Was a member of the "100,000 Mile Club" when it was free. Then when they started charging $25 a year I paid that for a few years. Then in 1978, a friend who was head of passenger service for UA at IAD alerted me that there was a "special offer" for lifetime memberships for $240, which included a lifetime card for your spouse. We grabbed it and have never looked back.

Retired for more than 15 years, we still use the cards and watch the receptionists do double-takes when they look at them. Sometimes if we get chatting we tell them when we got them and how much they cost, and they fall on the floor laughing.

Decent investment.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by allga
I've never had a complaint with the UC. Was a member of the "100,000 Mile Club" when it was free. Then when they started charging $25 a year I paid that for a few years. Then in 1978, a friend who was head of passenger service for UA at IAD alerted me that there was a "special offer" for lifetime memberships for $240, which included a lifetime card for your spouse. We grabbed it and have never looked back.

Retired for more than 15 years, we still use the cards and watch the receptionists do double-takes when they look at them. Sometimes if we get chatting we tell them when we got them and how much they cost, and they fall on the floor laughing.

Decent investment.
I'd call that more than decent!
Old Jan 11, 2014, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA 1P (w/ no expectations whatsoever); Marriott Gold; Hilton Silver; Hertz Pres
Reduce the number of occupants, (likely) maintain at least the same amount of revenue, and not have to invest anything more to improve food/beverage/bandwidth/etc offerings. Current seating capacity increases likely sufficient for quite some time. Smi$ek will love this.

I give the UA announcement about 6 months.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
Yeah, the folks who mostly fly domestically do not appreciate just how miserable the USA flying experience is these days.

A couple of weeks ago, I'm in Borneo flying between its two major Malaysian cities, Kota Kinabalu and Kuching. It's an 1 1/2 flight, and I've paid a grand total of $50 for my ticket. I've also got oneworld status, so after breezing through non-TSA security I head to the Malaysian Airlines Golden Lounge. Despite KK being somewhat of a backwater, they've got an entire dinner spread out, probably 12 dishes, and desserts, too. Alas, Malaysia is (mostly) a Muslim country, so no booze in the lounge, so I have to "settle" for some fresh fruit juices. I then board a brand-new 737-800 with free personal IFE (nice movie selection) and then they serve me dinner (which I couldn't eat, because I had feasted in the lounge).

Not sure how in the USA we wound up with high ticket prices, crazy security, bad lounges, onboard pay TV and no food. Definitely the short end of the stick.
I agree with you 100%. the lounges even in India are far far better than in the US. One should travel int more often to see how crappy they are treated in the US when it comes to airline amenities both in the air and on the ground.

Originally Posted by Lurker1999
Wirelessly posted (Treo 650: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4.2; Nexus 4 Build/KOT49H) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/31.0.1650.59 Mobile Safari/537.36)

I buy my club membership via the Chase PP card. A no/pay for guest policy would prompt me to instantly cancel the card as I do use it to guest family into the club on domestic trips. I'm pretty sure there are others in my position and Chase would not want to lose all of that business.
same with me.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 11, 2014 at 5:05 pm Reason: merge
Old Jan 11, 2014, 2:49 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by Lurker1999
[SIZE=1]I buy my club membership via the Chase PP card. A no/pay for guest policy would prompt me to instantly cancel the card as I do use it to guest family into the club on domestic trips. I'm pretty sure there are others in my position and Chase would not want to lose all of that business.
I too would bail and I'm a longtime Presidential Plus (PP) cardholder (grandfathered at $375 annual fee and treated to 15,000-mile annual-fee compensation). I am abjectly adored by Chase—if not United. If I'd go, who'd stay? Jeff's overlords at Chase will need some serious arm twisting before they allow him to dis us Club card carriers. Moreover, we PP cardholders are treated as a class unto ourselves. We shall be kowtowed to until the cows come home. We won't be subject to any guest fee. Period.

Originally Posted by mh3265a
It's only a matter of time before UA matches. We're in a cycle where UA just follows DL on almost all actions.
I scry with my little eye that UA will limit free guests to those flying on the same itinerary as the member. Other guests will cost to get in.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 2:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Meh. If they did this, it would just be one more reason not to switch to United.

My spend is high enough to earn 1K status (but not nearly enough for GS), so I find it ridiculous they keep doing things to make me stick with Air Canada.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
This is totally inaccurate based on my observations. I see very few day passes being used.

The crowding I see appears to result from (a) just too many members (mostly business travelers) at peak departure time for the size of the club, or (b) families who tend to take up an inordinate amount of space.
I was reading that one of the first changes that the merged USAir and AA was going to make was to start "clustering" their connections rather than spreading them out over the day. The article went on to say that most other airlines cluster their connections which makes for alternate overcrowding then emptiness at hubs.

I will guess that the same is true at lounges.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Originally Posted by Ronlap
I was reading that one of the first changes that the merged USAir and AA was going to make was to start "clustering" their connections rather than spreading them out over the day. The article went on to say that most other airlines cluster their connections which makes for alternate overcrowding then emptiness at hubs.

I will guess that the same is true at lounges.
That is true for sure and for UA, IAD is the biggest example. In November, we had to make a flight change due to a cancel into EWR and ended up with a 6+ hour layover in IAD (only option to get home that day). Between noon and 630pm it was dead until 3pm and then a madhouse until around 5pm and then cooled off until 630. I can only imagine the same cycle happened for the 9pm bank.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CaptKornDog
Reduce the number of occupants, (likely) maintain at least the same amount of revenue, and not have to invest anything more to improve food/beverage/bandwidth/etc offerings. Current seating capacity increases likely sufficient for quite some time. Smi$ek will love this.

I give the UA announcement about 6 months.
+1 - UA tracks DL for all downgrades (but not actual enhancements). Soon enough.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 4:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mre5765
If UA killed the explorer card, that would solve many problems: boarding scrums, crowded clubs, redemption devaluations, ...
I suspect that it wouldn't solve all of these.

The Explorer card gives two passes per year with no guests, I'm not sure if additional card holders get them either (I haven't received mine, but as I generally travel internationally it doesn't really matter). I suspect a mismatch between club membership and club capacity at major hubs in morning and evening peaks are the real issue.

As for the boarding scrums, perhaps but I think baggage fees and lax enforcement are a bigger driver of that.

Devaluations, perhaps the large liability from chase miles is almost certainly a contributor, but I suspect it would have happened irrespective, it's too good an opportunity to miss this kind of (largely unnoticed) cost cutting exercise.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by iahphx
Yeah, the folks who mostly fly domestically do not appreciate just how miserable the USA flying experience is these days.

A couple of weeks ago, I'm in Borneo flying between its two major Malaysian cities, Kota Kinabalu and Kuching. It's an 1 1/2 flight, and I've paid a grand total of $50 for my ticket. I've also got oneworld status, so after breezing through non-TSA security I head to the Malaysian Airlines Golden Lounge. Despite KK being somewhat of a backwater, they've got an entire dinner spread out, probably 12 dishes, and desserts, too. Alas, Malaysia is (mostly) a Muslim country, so no booze in the lounge, so I have to "settle" for some fresh fruit juices. I then board a brand-new 737-800 with free personal IFE (nice movie selection) and then they serve me dinner (which I couldn't eat, because I had feasted in the lounge).

Not sure how in the USA we wound up with high ticket prices, crazy security, bad lounges, onboard pay TV and no food. Definitely the short end of the stick.
Reminds me of about 10 years ago - when I was only used to North American lounges on the count of being 23, I bought a business class ticket (it was $5 more) on KK-Brunei on MH.... I was so amazed by that lounge in KK!

US airlines lounges are a laughing stock - but the fact that people are still paying $500-$700 for a membership is even more of a disgrace.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 5:49 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by allga

Decent investment.
-------------------------

Omg, I had this opportunity 30+ years ago when I joined United. Unfortunately, I didn't take the lifetime offer and am still kicking myself ever since - especially as a standby and waiting for more than one flight to get on (oftentimes), this would have relieved me of wasting tons of time at gates;
I could have been comfortable in a RCC.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingNone
-------------------------

Omg, I had this opportunity 30+ years ago when I joined United. Unfortunately, I didn't take the lifetime offer and am still kicking myself ever since - especially as a standby and waiting for more than one flight to get on (oftentimes), this would have relieved me of wasting tons of time at gates;
I could have been comfortable in a RCC.
I know that there are at least a couple Flyertalkers who have lifetime United Club access on account of having bought lifetime membership to the Eastern Airlines Ionosphere Club for almost nothing. The trick was to have bought it at the right time. My recollection is that the folks who bought before Lorenzo bought Eastern got zippo, but the folks who bought during the Lorenzo years got lifetime CO President's Club access and now lifetime UA Club access.

I actually remember the crazy cheap offer and thinking "Jeez, Eastern is CERTAIN to go out of business -- there's no way I'd pay a penny for that." So you never know. But, of course, you never know what the club benefits will look like in the future, or if you'll even be flying the airline (if it still exists).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.