Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues {Archive}

Old Feb 3, 2024, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues

DoT is proposing increased lost bag compensation -- increased from $3,500 to $3,800 effective 21 April 2021
================================================== =
Suggested reading is UA's lost bag info on the web: Baggage Info, Checked Bag Issues, checked UA's Baggage tracing and Damaged Bags

Delayed baggage and claim form
Updated prior to June 2023 to removed the $1,500 statement

new statement
Bags that dont arrive with you at your destination are considered delayed. Customers whose bags were delayed somewhere other than where they live may submit a claim for reimbursement of expenses, along with receipts, for the period during which their bags were delayed. If the bags arent found after five days, the customer may also submit a claim for their lost bags. Reimbursed expenses will be deducted from the total we pay you if your bags are permanently lost. You can submit a claim below.

For bags still lost after five days
If we cant find your bag after five days, well reimburse you for the value of your bag, its contents, and any fees you paid to check the bag. Receipts may be required and certain items might not be eligible for reimbursement. Depending on your trip, maximum claim limits may also apply.

The fastest way to start a claim is online, using the button below.
https://baggageclaimform.united.com/...uagecode=en-us

You can also contact us at the Baggage Recovery Center to file a claim:
old statement

For bags still lost after five days

If were unable to find your bag after five days, you may be eligible for $1,500 for the value of your baggage and its contents without requiring any documentation.
If we cant find your bag after five days, well reimburse you for the value of your bag, its contents, and any fees you paid to check the bag. Receipts may be required and certain items might not be eligible for reimbursement. Depending on your trip, maximum claim limits may also apply.Contact a United Representative at the Baggage Resolution Center by calling:
If the value of your lost bag and its contents is more than $1,500, you can document and claim a higher amount, with receipts. The most you can claim is $3,500 for flights within the U.S. There are different maximums for international flights. Customers whose baggage was delayed in a location other than their place of residence may submit a claim for reimbursement of interim expenses for the period during which the baggage was delayed, providing receipts. If the baggage is not found after five days, the customer may submit a claim for the lost baggage. The interim expenses will be deducted from the legal limit of reimbursement if the bag is permanently lost. Use the link below to submit a claim.
https://www.wheresmysuitcase.com/

When multiple carriers are involved, IATA convention on bag issues is that your claim is to be processed with the last carrier noted on the claim tag. that should have delivered the bags regardless on which carrier may or may not have created the issue.

Montreal Convention - Wikipedia
The Montreal Convention changes and generally increases the maximum liability of airlines for lost baggage to a fixed amount 1,131 SDR per passenger (the amount in the Warsaw Convention is based on weight of the baggage). It requires airlines to fully compensate travelers the cost of replacement items purchased until the baggage is delivered, to a maximum of 1,131 SDR. At 21 days any delayed baggage is considered lost, until the airline finds and delivers it.
Montreal Convention - IATA
Limits on Baggage Liability
Domestic Baggage Liability
  • For DOMESTIC flights, DOT regulation allows airlines to limit their liability for a lost, damaged, or delayed bag. Airlines are free to pay more than the limit, but are not required to do so.
  • The maximum liability amount allowed by the regulation is $3,800 per passenger.
International Baggage Liability
  • For most INTERNATIONAL flights, a treaty called the Montreal Convention applies to the carriage of baggage. The maximum baggage liability for flights covered by the Montreal Convention is currently 1,288 Special Drawing Rights (approximately $1,700.00 US) per passenger. This is the most that airlines must pay a passenger for a lost, damaged, or delayed bag. Airlines are free to pay more than the limit, but are not required to do so.
  • The Montreal Conventions international baggage liability limit is reviewed for inflationary adjustment every five years by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)
  • In the few situations when the Montreal Convention does not apply to travel to and from the United States, an older treaty called the Warsaw Convention may apply.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues {Archive}

Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by sexykitten7
PSA: If United loses your bag you must file a claim in person or over the phone (*or online via this form as PTahCha points out). You cannot use the regular Customer Care form that conveniently has a Baggage/Lost Item category.

United lost my bag for 3 days in May. When my flight arrived sans bag, I went to the baggage office to find that it was closed: lights off, door locked. I proceeded home and filled out the Baggage/Lost Item form with my bag tag number. They didnt even get back to me until after the bag showed up a few days later. They also called the number on the bag instead of me directly (the bag tag was intact) but okay. Whatever.

Well, I wrote in to get some goodwill comp like a good FTer and had the following exchange:

Me: You lost my bag. ETC please?
UA: Please provide the file reference number.
Me: Heres the form I submitted and Case ID.
UA: Do you have the Delayed Baggage Reference Number"?
Me: Neither a "File Reference Number" nor a "Delayed Baggage Reference Number" was generated for my initial complaint as evidenced in the attached file KMM... It is unclear to me why you keep asking for a reference number that does not exist.
UA: Only the local baggage office can open a luggage claim and generate a reference number.
Me: The office was closed when I arrived.
UA: We cant do anything without that magic claim number.

I wrote to Oscar twice(!) regarding this issue but no one from his office bothered responding. It was only when I CCd another exec today that someone was kind enough to give me a call and provide some soft (read patronizing) education on the matter. Unbelievable. At least I got my ETC in the end!
In my opinion tone and tenor has a lot to do with UA comp. If this was your interchange, it seems a little harsh to me with the choice of words you used (unless that's how your paraphrasing to us) perhaps being a little bit more professional in your communication with UA would you yield a fast reply. What compensation did you receive, and what did you request? That will help others in the form as well. Glad to see it's settled for you. By the way did you use to track your back function and what results did that yield?
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:52 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
My gripe was that they called my mom instead of me (I was borrowing her luggage at it had one of those address fobs). They did not bother looking up my phone number based on the United bag tag that was still attached!
This is probably what happened:

Luggage office scanned the baggage tag, found that there's no luggage claim report.

Saw there's a luggage tag attached with a phone number, call that number.

<end of story>
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:53 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
I was seeking a goodwill credit for a service failure, not reimbursement for specific damages. Are you saying you can only get a courtesy credit if the bag is lost on the outbound?
You can get reimbursed for anything you needed to buy - phone charger, clothes, toiletries, etc. I believe they cover up to $100/day(?) when your baggage is delayed up to 3 days, and then it jumps to an automatic $1500 if delayed for longer.
Originally Posted by moops380
I mean if I only have 2 suits and they are delayed and I need a suit for something, and both are in my delayed bag, it should be covered under the same premise as if you were going "not home." not sure about the $1500 cash, but perhaps reimbursable with showing receipts. I have been reimbursed (with receipts) flying back to the USA (my home) from europe, but not to my home airport, and I flew back a few days later to my home airport on a separate ticket. Did not get the 1500 cash option though as it was not over 3 days.
For some reason, I always thought they don't cover if it is lost on the leg back to your home airport. I could be wrong though.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by Flying Machine

in my opinion tone and tenor has a lot to do with you a comp. If this was your interchange seemed a little harsh to me with the choice of words you used (unless that's how your paraphrasing to us) and we're little bit more professional in your communication with UA. What compensation did you receive, and what did you request? That will help others in the form as well. Glad to see it's settled for you
Yes paraphrased. Here's my original email for your judgment Dunno what I received since ETC hasn't arrived yet. Original request was open ended (would have accepted $100-200) but my tone decreased in civility (and my expected comp increased) as this Kafkaesque story unfolded.

My bag was lost while traveling along my original itinerary (SAN-SFO-EWR-PWM). I was unable to check the status of the bag as the app stopped returning any data for that tag or my PNR.

I wrote to United Baggage and did not hear back. The bag eventually arrived 3 days late. It had already been found by the time they got around to answering my message.

While losing a bag is understandable, leaving customers in the dark is less so. I would be grateful if you could issue an ETC as a goodwill gesture.

Yours,
Sexykitten7

Flight Number: None

Flight Date: None

Approximate Departure Time: Anytime

Origin: None
Destination: None

Airport: None
Date: None

[ Attachment 1 Type: application/pdf Name: Contact Baggage Resolution Center - Confirmation _ United Airlines.pdf]
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:58 pm

Correct. But at the time, one doesn't know which will occur (temporary delay or permanent loss). Or in the alternative, the bag was "lost" for 3 days until it was found.

Yes. My cell is listed as primary phone. And they called my mom's cell (a number that would never be associated with my profile).

I was seeking a goodwill credit for a service failure, not reimbursement for specific damages. Are you saying you can only get a courtesy credit if the bag is lost on the outbound? Sorry I thought you were responding to me, not OP.

TBH I've never heard of this 4 day policy. The post-Dao policy (which has since been deleted, thanks United) as I understand it is permanent loss = $1500. No payout for delays.
See post #370 . $1500 and bags back in 10 days. Uncertain if this applies for domestic flights however.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:59 pm
mr8

TBH I've never heard of this 4 day policy. The post-Dao policy (which has since been deleted, thanks United) as I understand it is permanent loss = $1500. No payout for delays.
They linked this page in the email when my badge was lost:
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...e/delayed.aspx

For bags still lost after three days

For bags checked June 1, 2017, or later, if we're unable to find your bag after three days, we'll pay you $1,500 for the value of the bag and its contents without requiring any documentation. The Baggage Resolution Center will contact you to process a compensation payment. We will also reimburse you for the amount you paid to check the bag.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by mr8
They linked this page in the email when my badge was lost:
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...e/delayed.aspx
Thanks! I guess that's the cutoff between delayed and lost then!
Old Jul 24, 2018, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by mr8

For some reason, I always thought they don't cover if it is lost on the leg back to your home airport. I could be wrong though.
I have not run into this yet either, but airlines would love everyone to think that. Here is article 19 of the montreal convention which applies to delayed baggage, which does not say anything about returning to your home airport. It is limited to 1000 SDR which is currently about 1400usd. You must provide receipts for this compensation, and has nothing to do . with airlines policies, its an international law (doesn't apply on domestic us flights).

"Article 19 Delay The carrier is liable for damage occasioned by delay in the carriage by air of passengers, baggage or cargo. Nevertheless, the carrier shall not be liable for damage occasioned by delay if it proves that it and its servants and agents took all measures that could reasonably be required to avoid the damage or that it was impossible for it or them to take such measures."
Old Jul 24, 2018, 1:13 pm
mr8

Originally Posted by moops380
I have not run into this yet either, but airlines would love everyone to think that. Here is article 19 of the montreal convention which applies to delayed baggage, which does not say anything about returning to your home airport. It is limited to 1000 SDR which is currently about 1400usd. You must provide receipts for this compensation, and has nothing to do . with airlines policies, its an international law (doesn't apply on domestic us flights).

"Article 19 — Delay The carrier is liable for damage occasioned by delay in the carriage by air of passengers, baggage or cargo. Nevertheless, the carrier shall not be liable for damage occasioned by delay if it proves that it and its servants and agents took all measures that could reasonably be required to avoid the damage or that it was impossible for it or them to take such measures."
Good to know! I may have been confusing it with the credit card coverage. btw,does anyone know if there is a minimum delay requirement for airlines? I know credit card coverage will only kick in after 6/12/24hr of delay.

@sexykitten7 should try to claim for any expenses. Maybe try emailing [email protected] to see if they qualify for the $1500.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by mr8
Good to know! I may have been confusing it with the credit card coverage. btw,does anyone know if there is a minimum delay requirement for airlines? I know credit card coverage will only kick in after 6/12/24hr of delay.

@sexykitten7 should try to claim for any expenses. Maybe try emailing [email protected] to see if they qualify for the $1500.
Ha! Even I'm not that greedy. I'm perfectly happy to collect a couple hundred in funny money. The bags (for those of you wondering) were chock full of pantry items (finished up my move back to Maine). Everything survived except the poor breadcrumbs. I was really hoping for the jackpot! haha

Interesting point: The bag arrived 3 days after scheduled but I arrived 1 day late. So was it really delayed 2 days or 3? And how exactly is this magical 3 day cutoff measured? Inquiring minds want to know!
Old Jul 24, 2018, 1:51 pm

Ha! Even I'm not that greedy. I'm perfectly happy to collect a couple hundred in funny money. The bags (for those of you wondering) were chock full of pantry items (finished up my move back to Maine). Everything survived except the poor breadcrumbs. I was really hoping for the jackpot! haha

Interesting point: The bag arrived 3 days after scheduled but I arrived 1 day late. So was it really delayed 2 days or 3? And how exactly is this magical 3 day cutoff measured? Inquiring minds want to know!
I'd say 72 hours from when the last bag came out on the carousel for your last flight. Not sure how that would work if you are delayed as well.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 2:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Interesting point: The bag arrived 3 days after scheduled but I arrived 1 day late. So was it really delayed 2 days or 3? And how exactly is this magical 3 day cutoff measured? Inquiring minds want to know!...
I think it is safe to assume the delay clock starts once you arrive.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: DL-PM
Trying to help out a friend here:

Original routing PHX-ORD-ZRH-CDG (ORD-ZRH-CDG on Swiss). PHX-ORD gets delayed they get re-routed ORD-FRA-CDG on LH. They show up in Paris and bags nowhere to be found. They report them lost at the Star Alliance missing bag office in CDG (told bags are still in ORD), eventually they receive them 5 days later when they are in Munich (they hopped around a lot due to their honeymoon). The bag on its arrival is severely damaged and unusable. They have pictures with timestamps, case ID etc... What airline do they go to for compensation, and what is the best course of action for them to file a claim?
Old Jul 26, 2018, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mills1090
What airline do they go to for compensation
LH. The last-delivering carrier is always responsible for baggage issues.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 4:14 pm

Delayed bag scanned at destination airport but now lost?

My family flew in from Beirut, Lebanon (BEY) to Houston (IAH) via London (LHR). MEA on the BEY-LHR leg and United (UA4) on the LHR-IAH leg. They arrived on 7/27 and had a total of 7 checked bags with them. None of the bags made it to IAH, all were left behind in London. Filed a claim with United immediately upon landing in IAH terminal E and given file reference number. Over the next few days, 6 out of the 7 bags were delivered to us, but one bag remains missing. The missing bag is shown as having been scanned in IAH (arrived from LHR on UA4 on 7/28). However, that bag was never delivered. Kept calling baggage resolution center, and they said "your bag should be in Houston at the airport" they would send requests to get the bag delivered, but nothing. One rep from baggage resolution suggested maybe the identifying tags fell off and asked for unique items in the bag which we provided, but that was a few days ago and still nothing. Yesterday went out to IAH in person to ask about the bag, since it was supposedly there. Initially they said "it looks like the bag was last scanned in customs" but then they went back and checked and said they couldn't find it and had no idea where the bag is. It's been 5 days now. I'm puzzled how the bag apparently made it from London to Houston, but got lost after arriving at the destination airport (Houston).

Any suggestions?

Obviously filing a claim for lost bag through United and will follow that up with a claim on my Chase Sapphire Reserve card, but would prefer to get the bag back if possible. It's got to be somewhere at IAH if it was last scanned there I assume. Unless someone else took the bag in the baggage claim/customs area?

Would appreciate any advice, if you think there's anything else we can do to try to get the bag back.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.