Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2024, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues

DoT is proposing increased lost bag compensation -- increased from $3,500 to $3,800 effective 21 April 2021
================================================== =
Suggested reading is UA's lost bag info on the web: Baggage Info, Checked Bag Issues, checked UA's Baggage tracing and Damaged Bags

Delayed baggage and claim form
Updated prior to June 2023 to removed the $1,500 statement

new statement
Bags that don’t arrive with you at your destination are considered delayed. Customers whose bags were delayed somewhere other than where they live may submit a claim for reimbursement of expenses, along with receipts, for the period during which their bags were delayed. If the bags aren’t found after five days, the customer may also submit a claim for their lost bags. Reimbursed expenses will be deducted from the total we pay you if your bags are permanently lost. You can submit a claim below.

For bags still lost after five days
If we can’t find your bag after five days, we’ll reimburse you for the value of your bag, its contents, and any fees you paid to check the bag. Receipts may be required and certain items might not be eligible for reimbursement. Depending on your trip, maximum claim limits may also apply.

The fastest way to start a claim is online, using the button below.
https://baggageclaimform.united.com/...uagecode=en-us

You can also contact us at the Baggage Recovery Center to file a claim:
old statement

For bags still lost after five days

If we’re unable to find your bag after five days, you may be eligible for $1,500 for the value of your baggage and its contents without requiring any documentation.
If we can’t find your bag after five days, we’ll reimburse you for the value of your bag, its contents, and any fees you paid to check the bag. Receipts may be required and certain items might not be eligible for reimbursement. Depending on your trip, maximum claim limits may also apply.Contact a United Representative at the Baggage Resolution Center by calling:
If the value of your lost bag and its contents is more than $1,500, you can document and claim a higher amount, with receipts. The most you can claim is $3,500 for flights within the U.S. There are different maximums for international flights. Customers whose baggage was delayed in a location other than their place of residence may submit a claim for reimbursement of interim expenses for the period during which the baggage was delayed, providing receipts. If the baggage is not found after five days, the customer may submit a claim for the lost baggage. The interim expenses will be deducted from the legal limit of reimbursement if the bag is permanently lost. Use the link below to submit a claim.
https://www.wheresmysuitcase.com/

When multiple carriers are involved, IATA convention on bag issues is that your claim is to be processed with the last carrier noted on the claim tag. that should have delivered the bags regardless on which carrier may or may not have created the issue.

Montreal Convention - Wikipedia
The Montreal Convention changes and generally increases the maximum liability of airlines for lost baggage to a fixed amount 1,131 SDR per passenger (the amount in the Warsaw Convention is based on weight of the baggage). It requires airlines to fully compensate travelers the cost of replacement items purchased until the baggage is delivered, to a maximum of 1,131 SDR. At 21 days any delayed baggage is considered lost, until the airline finds and delivers it.
Montreal Convention - IATA
Limits on Baggage Liability
Domestic Baggage Liability
  • For DOMESTIC flights, DOT regulation allows airlines to limit their liability for a lost, damaged, or delayed bag. Airlines are free to pay more than the limit, but are not required to do so.
  • The maximum liability amount allowed by the regulation is $3,800 per passenger.
International Baggage Liability
  • For most INTERNATIONAL flights, a treaty called the Montreal Convention applies to the carriage of baggage. The maximum baggage liability for flights covered by the Montreal Convention is currently 1,288 Special Drawing Rights (approximately $1,700.00 US) per passenger. This is the most that airlines must pay a passenger for a lost, damaged, or delayed bag. Airlines are free to pay more than the limit, but are not required to do so.
  • The Montreal Convention’s international baggage liability limit is reviewed for inflationary adjustment every five years by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)
  • In the few situations when the Montreal Convention does not apply to travel to and from the United States, an older treaty called the “Warsaw Convention ” may apply.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
Have a friend who flew IAH-ORD-CPH last Thursday on a united issued paid ticket with ORD-CPH operated by SAS. She arrived, neither of her checked bags did. Nearly 4 hours connection time in ORD, no significant delays on either flight, and another friend traveling on the exact same itinerary (different ticket) and checked in together, did receive her bag. Strange.

Anyway, I’ve read through the wiki but I am (thankfully) not super well versed in UA’s baggage policies. Friend contacted UA upon arrival in CPH who apparently informed her that the bags were handed over to SAS at ORD, so she should deal with them. Since then, my friend has been dealing almost exclusively with SAS who she describes as less than helpful.

1. I told my friend she should not let UA off the hook as they had the responsibility to get her and her bags from IAH to CPH. Since we are now on the 4th day, UA owes her $1500 ($3000 for two bags?) and that she should claim that. Am I right?

2. Any broader suggestions on how she should work to actually get her bags to her in CPH? She should deal with SAS as the delivering airline, but is there other reasons to call up UA?

3. Any other compensation for purchases she has had to make while in CPH like toiletries and clothes- refund from UA or SAS?

Thank you
It's supposed to the last carrier (SAS in this case) that is responsible for delivering bags. I believe all claims must go to SAS regarding incidental expenses and lost luggage. Don't think UA owes any money at this point, but I may be wrong.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm

​​​​​​
Old Jun 12, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by smxflyer
It's supposed to the last carrier (SAS in this case) that is responsible for delivering bags. I believe all claims must go to SAS regarding incidental expenses and lost luggage. Don't think UA owes any money at this point, but I may be wrong.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...r/index_en.htm

​​​​​​
Correct. The final delivering carrier is responsible for the luggage claim and any compensation under the IATA guidelines, any other carriers, even if they're the ones who actually screwed up are irreleveant
Old Jun 12, 2018, 8:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
1. I told my friend she should not let UA off the hook as they had the responsibility to get her and her bags from IAH to CPH. Since we are now on the 4th day, UA owes her $1500 ($3000 for two bags?) and that she should claim that. Am I right?
No. You need to deal with SK only. UA has nothing to do with this, as it is the last carrier's responsibility, even if they never touched the luggage. The Montreal Convention provides for 1,131 SDR (ca USD 1,600) per passenger (not bag). After 21 days the luggage is considered lost.

2. Any broader suggestions on how she should work to actually get her bags to her in CPH? She should deal with SAS as the delivering airline, but is there other reasons to call up UA?
As noted, no point in calling UA. Just keep the current address updated in WorldTracer. Also, there is very little point is calling and chasing.

3. Any other compensation for purchases she has had to make while in CPH like toiletries and clothes- refund from UA or SAS?
Buy essentials and keep the receipts. Reasonable expenses are usually reimbursed without much fuss. Spend money as if you were not going to be refunded.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA Gold/1MM UA CO DL US BA
Lost Baggage on all United flights IAH-DFW-LAX-PVG

Hi Guru's
On 6/26/18 @ 1800 6PM I landed in PVG Shanghai. All of my flights were operated by United. My route was IAH-DFW-LAX-PVG on a award Economy ticket. I had only one bag that was checked and it didn't arrive. I opened a claim and now it is roughly 36hrs later and I just called United 800 number and they don't know where the bag is. I asked if I can be compensated for necessary items that I need and they said they cannot authorize anything, but go ahead and purchase and then submit claim and the claims dept will review and advise back.

Please advise what should I do and should I call and ask for certain authorization or what is the best way to proceed. Please do let me know the details and all help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Old Jun 27, 2018, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA Gold/1MM UA CO DL US BA
Lost Baggage on all United flights IAH-DFW-LAX-PVG

subscribing to thread
Old Jun 27, 2018, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by SHAAKQ
Hi Guru's
On 6/26/18 @ 1800 6PM I landed in PVG Shanghai. All of my flights were operated by United. My route was IAH-DFW-LAX-PVG on a award Economy ticket. I had only one bag that was checked and it didn't arrive. I opened a claim and now it is roughly 36hrs later and I just called United 800 number and they don't know where the bag is. I asked if I can be compensated for necessary items that I need and they said they cannot authorize anything, but go ahead and purchase and then submit claim and the claims dept will review and advise back.

Please advise what should I do and should I call and ask for certain authorization or what is the best way to proceed. Please do let me know the details and all help will be appreciated.

Thanks
sorry to hear about your lost baggage. Have you read a few pages of this thread look specifically at Post 370 because you're narrowing in on 4 days now. Additionally there were other mentions about spending and getting compensated. Spend 10 minutes and read a little bit then ask specific questions
Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: AA Plat
Delayed Baggage (compensation) Nightmare

PSA: If United loses your bag you must file a claim in person or over the phone (*or online via this form as PTahCha points out). You cannot use the regular Customer Care form that conveniently has a Baggage/Lost Item category.

United “lost” my bag for 3 days in May. When my flight arrived sans bag, I went to the baggage office to find that it was closed: lights off, door locked. I proceeded home and filled out the Baggage/Lost Item form with my bag tag number. They didn’t even get back to me until after the bag showed up a few days later. They also called the number on the bag instead of me directly (the bag tag was intact) but okay. Whatever.

Well, I wrote in to get some goodwill comp like a good FTer and had the following exchange:

Me: You lost my bag. ETC please?
UA: Please provide the “file reference number.”
Me: Here’s the form I submitted and Case ID.
UA: Do you have the “Delayed Baggage Reference Number"?
Me: Neither a "File Reference Number" nor a "Delayed Baggage Reference Number" was generated for my initial complaint as evidenced in the attached file KMM... It is unclear to me why you keep asking for a reference number that does not exist.
UA: Only the local baggage office can open a luggage claim and generate a reference number.
Me: The office was closed when I arrived.
UA: We can’t do anything without that magic claim number.

I wrote to Oscar twice(!) regarding this issue but no one from his office bothered responding. It was only when I CC’d another exec today that someone was kind enough to give me a call and provide some soft (read patronizing) education on the matter. Unbelievable. At least I got my ETC in the end!

Last edited by sexykitten7; Jul 24, 2018 at 12:15 pm Reason: *added link
Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
So the delayed bag was returned after a few days, and the "nightmare" was trying to get a ETC voucher?
Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
So the delayed bag was returned after a few days, and the "nightmare" was trying to get a ETC voucher?
Yep! Hence the compensation part of the title
Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by sexykitten7
Yep! Hence the compensation part of the title
Didn't know you can do it over the phone as well. Usually it takes like 5 minutes at the airport though unless they lose a bunch of bags. Where were you flying to/from? If they lost it for 4 days from usa-europe you would have been entitled to $1500 cash.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:56 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
PSA: If United loses your bag you must file a claim in person or over the phone. You cannot use the regular Customer Care form that conveniently has a Baggage/Lost Item category.

United “lost” my bag for 3 days in May. When my flight arrived sans bag, I went to the baggage office to find that it was closed: lights off, door locked. I proceeded home and filled out the Baggage/Lost Item form with my bag tag number. They didn’t even get back to me until after the bag showed up a few days later. They also called the number on the bag instead of me directly (the bag tag was intact) but okay. Whatever.

Well, I wrote in to get some goodwill comp like a good FTer and had the following exchange:

Me: You lost my bag. ETC please?
UA: Please provide the “file reference number.”
Me: Here’s the form I submitted and Case ID.
UA: Do you have the “Delayed Baggage Reference Number"?
Me: Neither a "File Reference Number" nor a "Delayed Baggage Reference Number" was generated for my initial complaint as evidenced in the attached file KMM... It is unclear to me why you keep asking for a reference number that does not exist.
UA: Only the local baggage office can open a luggage claim and generate a reference number.
Me: The office was closed when I arrived.
UA: We can’t do anything without that magic claim number.

I wrote to Oscar twice(!) regarding this issue but no one from his office bothered responding. It was only when I CC’d another exec today that someone was kind enough to give me a call and provide some soft (read patronizing) education on the matter. Unbelievable. At least I got my ETC in the end!
There is an online baggage claim form available: https://baggageclaimform.united.com/...2F5%2Fjsc4U%3D

The customer care form you completed is routed to corporate customer service (identified by the KMM number), but it does not generate a luggage claim. Hence, that's why they used your luggage tag's information to contact you. If an alternate phone number was used on the luggage claim form, then they would have called you there, since the luggage office only has access to the luggage claim system, not customer care.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by moops380
Didn't know you can do it over the phone as well. Usually it takes like 5 minutes at the airport though unless they lose a bunch of bags. Where were you flying to/from? If they lost it for 4 days from usa-europe you would have been entitled to $1500 cash.
It was a simple SAN-SFO-EWR-PWM trip that turned out to be not so simple after all. See the last paragraph of my trip report. I was pretty ticked off by the rude GA in SAN, being held hostage on the SAN tarmac due to ATC hold, UA CXLing the last flight to PWM and not bothering to rebook me, and missing my SBY flight the next day (which in fairness, was not UA's fault). So imagine my unfettered joy upon arriving at PWM at full 16 hours late to find no bag and a closed baggage office. You can see why I did not want to stick around or make a phone call!
Originally Posted by PTahCha
There is an online baggage claim form available: https://baggageclaimform.united.com/baggageclaimform/#!/home?languagecode=en-US&AuthToken=2c9VP8uK6VUJlJR4Lmonwk3wy1UGEBgO4VqUY jUqar6kU%3DB5N9n1WOQqsoV5VFA4uprPZtHe5nnZjOUjQ5lrM S3LY95FFu3d%2Bkw2kaQ9TNSWNAd4VgqZHDwpQLyraN0ip6vix i47xEwFkvCU1%2F5%2Fjsc4U%3D

The customer care form you completed is routed to corporate customer service (identified by the KMM number), but it does not generate a luggage claim. Hence, that's why they used your luggage tag's information to contact you. If an alternate phone number was used on the luggage claim form, then they would have called you there, since the luggage office only has access to the luggage claim system, not customer care.
You're right, there is an online claim form! Who knew?

My gripe was that they called my mom instead of me (I was borrowing her luggage at it had one of those address fobs). They did not bother looking up my phone number based on the United bag tag that was still attached!

Last edited by sexykitten7; Jul 24, 2018 at 12:22 pm Reason: Added trip details
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:26 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
PSA: If United loses your bag you must file a claim in person or over the phone (*or online via this form as PTahCha points out). You cannot use the regular Customer Care form that conveniently has a Baggage/Lost Item category.
Sounds like your baggage was delayed and not lost? Similar thing happened to me a few months ago, but UA was really good and I actually had a text message waiting for me when I landed notifying that my baggage didn't make the flight and to go see a UA baggage service rep. Got all my paperwork done before the priority bags even started showing up on the carousel.
Good to know about the phone/online options. Can be useful especially around the holidays when there is usually a line.
My gripe was that they called my mom instead of me (I was borrowing her luggage at it had one of those address fobs). They did not bother looking up my phone number based on the United bag tag that was still attached!
Is your contact info up to date on UA?
Originally Posted by moops380
Where were you flying to/from? If they lost it for 4 days from usa-europe you would have been entitled to $1500 cash.
Does this apply when flying home? I thought they only cover stuff when flying out, but not home?
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by mr8
Sounds like your baggage was delayed and not lost?
Correct. But at the time, one doesn't know which will occur (temporary delay or permanent loss). Or in the alternative, the bag was "lost" for 3 days until it was found.

Originally Posted by mr8
Is your contact info up to date on UA?
Yes. My cell is listed as primary phone. And they called my mom's cell (a number that would never be associated with my profile).

Originally Posted by mr8
Does this apply when flying home? I thought they only cover stuff when flying out, but not home?
I was seeking a goodwill credit for a service failure, not reimbursement for specific damages. Are you saying you can only get a courtesy credit if the bag is lost on the outbound? Sorry I thought you were responding to me, not OP.

TBH I've never heard of this 4 day policy. The post-Dao policy (which has since been deleted, thanks United) as I understand it is permanent loss = $1500. No payout for delays.

Last edited by sexykitten7; Jul 24, 2018 at 12:49 pm Reason: Added alternative
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by mr8

I mean if I only have 2 suits and they are delayed and I need a suit for something, and both are in my delayed bag, it should be covered under the same premise as if you were going "not home." not sure about the $1500 cash, but perhaps reimbursable with showing receipts. I have been reimbursed (with receipts) flying back to the USA (my home) from europe, but not to my home airport, and I flew back a few days later to my home airport on a separate ticket. Did not get the 1500 cash option though as it was not over 3 days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.