Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2024, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues

DoT is proposing increased lost bag compensation -- increased from $3,500 to $3,800 effective 21 April 2021
================================================== =
Suggested reading is UA's lost bag info on the web: Baggage Info, Checked Bag Issues, checked UA's Baggage tracing and Damaged Bags

Delayed baggage and claim form
Updated prior to June 2023 to removed the $1,500 statement

new statement
Bags that don’t arrive with you at your destination are considered delayed. Customers whose bags were delayed somewhere other than where they live may submit a claim for reimbursement of expenses, along with receipts, for the period during which their bags were delayed. If the bags aren’t found after five days, the customer may also submit a claim for their lost bags. Reimbursed expenses will be deducted from the total we pay you if your bags are permanently lost. You can submit a claim below.

For bags still lost after five days
If we can’t find your bag after five days, we’ll reimburse you for the value of your bag, its contents, and any fees you paid to check the bag. Receipts may be required and certain items might not be eligible for reimbursement. Depending on your trip, maximum claim limits may also apply.

The fastest way to start a claim is online, using the button below.
https://baggageclaimform.united.com/...uagecode=en-us

You can also contact us at the Baggage Recovery Center to file a claim:
old statement

For bags still lost after five days

If we’re unable to find your bag after five days, you may be eligible for $1,500 for the value of your baggage and its contents without requiring any documentation.
If we can’t find your bag after five days, we’ll reimburse you for the value of your bag, its contents, and any fees you paid to check the bag. Receipts may be required and certain items might not be eligible for reimbursement. Depending on your trip, maximum claim limits may also apply.Contact a United Representative at the Baggage Resolution Center by calling:
If the value of your lost bag and its contents is more than $1,500, you can document and claim a higher amount, with receipts. The most you can claim is $3,500 for flights within the U.S. There are different maximums for international flights. Customers whose baggage was delayed in a location other than their place of residence may submit a claim for reimbursement of interim expenses for the period during which the baggage was delayed, providing receipts. If the baggage is not found after five days, the customer may submit a claim for the lost baggage. The interim expenses will be deducted from the legal limit of reimbursement if the bag is permanently lost. Use the link below to submit a claim.
https://www.wheresmysuitcase.com/

When multiple carriers are involved, IATA convention on bag issues is that your claim is to be processed with the last carrier noted on the claim tag. that should have delivered the bags regardless on which carrier may or may not have created the issue.

Montreal Convention - Wikipedia
The Montreal Convention changes and generally increases the maximum liability of airlines for lost baggage to a fixed amount 1,131 SDR per passenger (the amount in the Warsaw Convention is based on weight of the baggage). It requires airlines to fully compensate travelers the cost of replacement items purchased until the baggage is delivered, to a maximum of 1,131 SDR. At 21 days any delayed baggage is considered lost, until the airline finds and delivers it.
Montreal Convention - IATA
Limits on Baggage Liability
Domestic Baggage Liability
  • For DOMESTIC flights, DOT regulation allows airlines to limit their liability for a lost, damaged, or delayed bag. Airlines are free to pay more than the limit, but are not required to do so.
  • The maximum liability amount allowed by the regulation is $3,800 per passenger.
International Baggage Liability
  • For most INTERNATIONAL flights, a treaty called the Montreal Convention applies to the carriage of baggage. The maximum baggage liability for flights covered by the Montreal Convention is currently 1,288 Special Drawing Rights (approximately $1,700.00 US) per passenger. This is the most that airlines must pay a passenger for a lost, damaged, or delayed bag. Airlines are free to pay more than the limit, but are not required to do so.
  • The Montreal Convention’s international baggage liability limit is reviewed for inflationary adjustment every five years by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)
  • In the few situations when the Montreal Convention does not apply to travel to and from the United States, an older treaty called the “Warsaw Convention ” may apply.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:32 am

IAH-SYD nonstop and I am a United 1K.

Bag was an amazon box with amazon product, and I put my liquids, a Patagonia rain jacket, cosmetics, a wet suit, and some clothes to top it up, and a few other items. Was not overloaded, sealed normally and weighed 17lbs. The box was fine.

7 days delayed now, no onload scan, just the acceptance/induction scan once it goes down. I think it was pilfered. It was a standard amazon box and I saw it go down on a tray in iah.

The generic ua pamphlet they hand out stated that after 3 days I am owed compensation of $1500 "without documentation". I called on day 5 and day 6, they said I need to submit a claim form. I repeat this line and they say a supervisor will call me. Yet to hear back.

I have a feeling United is playing delay tactic here. Any thoughts? Just submit a claim form demanding the 1500 that they "commit" to despite a "promise" of "no documentation"? Anyone? I'm not hysterical but I am thinking of DOT and FTC complaints here.

Last edited by phbl; Mar 7, 2018 at 7:33 am
Old Mar 7, 2018, 1:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by phbl
I...Just submit a claim form demanding the 1500 that they "commit" to despite a "promise" of "no documentation"? .....
You still have to submit a claim, you just don't need an itemized list with receipts (that is what they mean by no documentation).
Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:09 pm

Programs: Skymiles, MPL Chase Premier
Yeah, you're not going to get 1500 just because you asked. You have to substantiate your loss. They may fight you a little bit (a cardboard box is NOT suitable for pax airline transit). Get that claim form in, make a note on when you did it, and go from there. As long as you have your ducks in a row and meet the time frames for filing, you'll be fine.

TBH, 7 days and you're already screaming DOT + FTC? That's borderline hysterical. First off, FTC ain't going to do anything. Second off, you have to give the slow-turning wheels of UA time. Get that claim form in, give them 14(or was it 30?) days, then start pestering them again. After that, if no resolution, then head to the DOT site.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Starblazer
Yeah, you're not going to get 1500 just because you asked. You have to substantiate your loss.
Correct, because $1,500 is the maximum liability without proof of negligence, not the set price.

They may fight you a little bit (a cardboard box is NOT suitable for pax airline transit).
UA can't really if the loss is more than 21 days.

21 days is the cutoff per Montreal to declare a bag lost.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:16 am

Yeah, you're not going to get 1500 just because you asked. You have to substantiate your loss. They may fight you a little bit (a cardboard box is NOT suitable for pax airline transit). Get that claim form in, make a note on when you did it, and go from there. As long as you have your ducks in a row and meet the time frames for filing, you'll be fine.

TBH, 7 days and you're already screaming DOT + FTC? That's borderline hysterical. First off, FTC ain't going to do anything. Second off, you have to give the slow-turning wheels of UA time. Get that claim form in, give them 14(or was it 30?) days, then start pestering them again. After that, if no resolution, then head to the DOT site.
There appears to be a discrepancy between what you are saying and what the united airlines baggage service commitment states: "If we're unable to find your bag after three days, we'll pay you $1500 for the value of the bag and its contents without requiring any documentation"

Sadly, I dunno who or what to believe here.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You still have to submit a claim, you just don't need an itemized list with receipts (that is what they mean by no documentation).

Originally Posted by garykung
Correct, because $1,500 is the maximum liability without proof of negligence, not the set price.

UA can't really if the loss is more than 21 days.

21 days is the cutoff per Montreal to declare a bag lost.
Well, I asked (by submitting a claim form), in the itemized list location I put "$1500 baggage service commitment", and I learned today they mailed me a check for 1500. So I think appears that yes, I can get 1500 just by asking.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by phbl
There appears to be a discrepancy between what you are saying and what the united airlines baggage service commitment states: "If we're unable to find your bag after three days, we'll pay you $1500 for the value of the bag and its contents without requiring any documentation"

Sadly, I dunno who or what to believe here.
Sometimes the policy language is ambiguous and sometimes some folks just don't read all that well. In this instance the language was unambiguous and the policy was followed. Good work in identifying the policy and getting your $1,500. Thanks for sharing your experience too.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 3:09 am

Programs: Copa ConnectMiles Presidental Platinum, Aviana LifeMiles Diamond, United Silver, Marriott Ambassador
Delayed Baggage Compensation

Question for the experts on here... I had a "delayed" bag that I finally got after about one month. I was out of the country and was traveling the entire month the bag was lost. Thus, I had to basically replace everything. What sort of compensation would you recommend asking for? What is reasonable?
Old Mar 9, 2018, 3:28 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by jkreisler999
Question for the experts on here... I had a "delayed" bag that I finally got after about one month. I was out of the country and was traveling the entire month the bag was lost. Thus, I had to basically replace everything. What sort of compensation would you recommend asking for? What is reasonable?
Send in your receipts for the temp replacements and see what happens.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 3:05 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by jkreisler999
Originally Posted by exwannabe
Send in your receipts for the temp replacements and see what happens.
united airlines baggage service commitment states: "If we're unable to find your bag after three days, we'll pay you $1500 for the value of the bag and its contents without requiring any documentation".

if you got a pamphlet with your bag report at the airport (roughly the size of an a5, blue on the front with united log on the back), refer to point #3 and point #4 on the inside where it states this. iirc #4 indicates that they'll cover up to 3500 with proof.

i am 8 days into a delay and they mailed me a check for 1500 2 days ago with no documentation (but a claim form).
Old Mar 9, 2018, 4:20 pm

were these all international flights? or does this apply for domestic as well?
Old Mar 10, 2018, 3:45 pm

It Refers to DOT maximums so I think domestic-international is moot re the commitment.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 10, 2018 at 5:06 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 10, 2018, 4:26 pm

So what happens if they find your bag and deliver <72 hours later, but greater than when you need your stuff or minimum 6 hours. Your entire trip was a 3 day ski trip, where all your gear was in delayed luggage. From what I have gathered they should cover "reasonable expenses," but for such a trip this potentially means $500+ of clothing and perhaps $35+/day of rentals. Shopping last minute on-mountain ain't cheap. I am speaking about domestic USA travel only here, as Montreal convention applies in most int'l occurrences.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Alaska Gold 75k, Marriott Amb
I have a good story. I had a quick trip yvr-lax-mlb-adl-syd-lax-sea a couple of weeks ago. Polaris 6L out, 1L back - preferred 1L. As an aside, I went from -15c in Whistler to 30c in Melbourne (15 to 85 for the metrically challenged).

Anyway, I left my new Kindle Oasis in the front shelf thingy (above the footwells) on the lax-mlb leg (it's kinda narrow and deep - I could see how people leave stuff there). which i did... I realised i had a snowballs chance in hell of getting it back, but I did. I don't even think it had anything to do with me being gs except when they got it in Seattle they called me unprompted.

anyways, got it back and am completing the books on the current carousel.

good one, united!

/i
Old Mar 11, 2018, 5:36 pm

UA Lost baggage policy

Hi all,
I flew UA yesterday on route LHR-SFO-PHX. When I arrived in SFO (after a not so nice flight...no wifi, issues with backseat screens...) I didn't find my luggage. I contacted Lost&Found in SFO and I was told to proceed to PHX where, eventually, I would have found my baggage. In PHX there was nothing. Lost and found opened a claim and I was told that my baggage was checked in SFO after my arrival from LHR and it's strange it disappeared.
Tracking system says 'tracing process continues' and up to know is still missing. I am trying to understand which liability has United. I found conflicting pages.
One page says they're gonna pay 1500USD without any documentation after three days if still missing; this amount can be increased up to 3500 USD fo US internal or any other applicable amount for international. Other pages say that based on Montreal or Warsaw agreement they can be liable a number of SDR or an amount per pound up to 640 USD. No way to get in touch with UA, there's an IVR system and it doesn't provide any operator option.

Does anyone have a fresh/updated info about what I should expect?

Thanks
S

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.