Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 11, 2014, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
DoT is proposing increased lost bag compensation -- increased from $3,500 to $3,800 effective 21 April 2021
================================================== =
Suggested reading is UA's lost bag info on the web: Baggage Info, Checked Bag Issues, checked UA's Baggage tracing and Damaged Bags

Delayed baggage and claim form
Updated prior to June 2023 to removed the $1,500 statement

new statement
Bags that don’t arrive with you at your destination are considered delayed. Customers whose bags were delayed somewhere other than where they live may submit a claim for reimbursement of expenses, along with receipts, for the period during which their bags were delayed. If the bags aren’t found after five days, the customer may also submit a claim for their lost bags. Reimbursed expenses will be deducted from the total we pay you if your bags are permanently lost. You can submit a claim below.

For bags still lost after five days
If we can’t find your bag after five days, we’ll reimburse you for the value of your bag, its contents, and any fees you paid to check the bag. Receipts may be required and certain items might not be eligible for reimbursement. Depending on your trip, maximum claim limits may also apply.

The fastest way to start a claim is online, using the button below.
https://baggageclaimform.united.com/...uagecode=en-us

You can also contact us at the Baggage Recovery Center to file a claim:
old statement

If we’re unable to find your bag after five days, you may be eligible for $1,500 for the value of your baggage and its contents without requiring any documentation.
If we can’t find your bag after five days, we’ll reimburse you for the value of your bag, its contents, and any fees you paid to check the bag. Receipts may be required and certain items might not be eligible for reimbursement. Depending on your trip, maximum claim limits may also apply.Contact a United Representative at the Baggage Resolution Center by calling:
If the value of your lost bag and its contents is more than $1,500, you can document and claim a higher amount, with receipts. The most you can claim is $3,500 for flights within the U.S. There are different maximums for international flights. Customers whose baggage was delayed in a location other than their place of residence may submit a claim for reimbursement of interim expenses for the period during which the baggage was delayed, providing receipts. If the baggage is not found after five days, the customer may submit a claim for the lost baggage. The interim expenses will be deducted from the legal limit of reimbursement if the bag is permanently lost. Use the link below to submit a claim.
https://www.wheresmysuitcase.com/

When multiple carriers are involved, IATA convention on bag issues is that your claim is to be processed with the last carrier noted on the claim tag. that should have delivered the bags regardless on which carrier may or may not have created the issue.

Montreal Convention - Wikipedia
The Montreal Convention changes and generally increases the maximum liability of airlines for lost baggage to a fixed amount 1,131 SDR per passenger (the amount in the Warsaw Convention is based on weight of the baggage). It requires airlines to fully compensate travelers the cost of replacement items purchased until the baggage is delivered, to a maximum of 1,131 SDR. At 21 days any delayed baggage is considered lost, until the airline finds and delivers it.
Montreal Convention - IATA
Limits on Baggage Liability
Domestic Baggage Liability
  • For DOMESTIC flights, DOT regulation allows airlines to limit their liability for a lost, damaged, or delayed bag. Airlines are free to pay more than the limit, but are not required to do so.
  • The maximum liability amount allowed by the regulation is $3,800 per passenger.
International Baggage Liability
  • For most INTERNATIONAL flights, a treaty called the Montreal Convention applies to the carriage of baggage. The maximum baggage liability for flights covered by the Montreal Convention is currently 1,288 Special Drawing Rights (approximately $1,700.00 US) per passenger. This is the most that airlines must pay a passenger for a lost, damaged, or delayed bag. Airlines are free to pay more than the limit, but are not required to do so.
  • The Montreal Convention’s international baggage liability limit is reviewed for inflationary adjustment every five years by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)
  • In the few situations when the Montreal Convention does not apply to travel to and from the United States, an older treaty called the “Warsaw Convention ” may apply.

Archive thread: Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2022, 11:16 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by hyperion
kodyandgracie, thank you for sharing your experience, in particular your advice to call the human agents because they have more information. After another 3-hour hold, I found out that my bags landed today at SLC, despite a claim filed two days ago and multiple phone calls to have the bags pulled. Pretty much exactly as you reported. UA now promised to send the bags on the next flight back to my home airport. Given that their web tracking seems worthless, do you recommend that I keep calling them to check, just to make sure that nothing else goes wrong?
It’s not worth calling up repeatedly. Some UA baggage center reps this month have sounded rather annoyed when they keep getting repeated calls asking about the same passengers’ baggage. When a rush bag comes, as long as the baggage handling report has the current delivery address and cell phone number for the passenger, that’s typically good enough for the bag to make its way. UA has been pretty good about sending delivery tracking info around some major hubs, after they send the bag out from the airport for delivery to the traveler’s address. [The tracking is not as good as I get from TilePro and AirTag trackers in checked luggage, but it’s better than playing phone tag games.]

About getting UA to pony up money, the chances are better when the trip is covered by the relevant Montreal Convention applicable for travel —but for those treaty rights to be applicable to a domestic UA trip, there must be a connection to an international flight (whether or not it’s on the same ticketed PNR).
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 11:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As this is a wholly domestic trip Montreal Convention is not going to be relevant but UA does offer, even if the bags are eventually returned

If we’re unable to find your bag after five days, you may be eligible for $1,500 for the value of your baggage and its contents without requiring any documentation. Contact a United Representative at the Baggage Resolution Center by calling: If the value of your lost bag and its contents is more than $1,500, you can document and claim a higher amount, with receipts. The most you can claim is $3,500 for flights within the U.S. There are different maximums for international flights. Customers whose baggage was delayed in a location other than their place of residence may submit a claim for reimbursement of interim expenses for the period during which the baggage was delayed, providing receipts. If the baggage is not found after five days, the customer may submit a claim for the lost baggage. The interim expenses will be deducted from the legal limit of reimbursement if the bag is permanently lost. Use the link below to submit a claim.
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 7:42 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K, 1MM, 1.8 MM, IC RA
kodyandgracie, thank you for sharing your experience, in particular your advice to call the human agents because they have more information. After another 3-hour hold, I found out that my bags landed today at SLC, despite a claim filed two days ago and multiple phone calls to have the bags pulled. Pretty much exactly as you reported. UA now promised to send the bags on the next flight back to my home airport. Given that their web tracking seems worthless, do you recommend that I keep calling them to check, just to make sure that nothing else goes wrong?
I do recommend you keep calling. If I hadn’t called repeatedly, I would not have known they erroneously closed the claim. It is frustrating but it made all the difference. Good luck!
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 10:49 am

Programs: UA Gold AA PLT
Originally Posted by GUWonder
UA has been pretty good about sending delivery tracking info around some major hubs, after they send the bag out from the airport for delivery to the traveler’s address.
But the bags have to move through the airports correctly to make it to my home airport (PHL) first, which is not a UA hub. The web tracking just keeps saying "Tracing Process Continues, check back later". If I could have confidence that they would pull the bags at SLC, tag them correctly to PHL and get them moving - but my attempt to get them to pull my bags at EWR was not confidence inspiring.

The call volumes would have been a lot less and both the agents and the customers wasting a lot less time if the web tracking would simply display the information that the agents have access to.
SPN Lifer and kodyandgracie like this.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 10:49 pm

Would appreciate any advice on dealing with this - last night I connected in Newark to fly to O’Hare - got my bags, went through customs, re-checked them - a full 2 hours before my connecting flight left. They did not make the flight and were on the next one, I scheduled delivery for today. Got no info this morning, so I waited an hour in the online queue to chat with an agent and asked if I could just go pick up my bags - she said yes. A few minutes later, I got an update that my bags would be picked up by the delivery service at 11, which was sooner than I would be able to get to O’Hare, and they’d be delivered by 7. I was ok with that, but by 12:30 when my bags still said pending pick up, I waited another hour to chat with someone who said they confirmed that my bags were with the delivery service and they would be delivered by 7, it just said pending pick up because the system is delayed. At 6, I got back in the queue knowing I would have to wait at least an hour to chat with someone. At 6:31, I got a notification that my bags were picked up at O’Hare and would be delivered by 7. I waited 3 hours in the queue for someone to tell me I’d have my bags by 11. I just heard from the driver at 11:45 that it will be another 45 minutes to an hour. I couldn’t go to work today because I was home waiting for my things. I’ll be fried tomorrow from staying up until nearly 1 to wait for my bags. This is absolutely insane. Is there anything I can do?? (Besides not signing up for delivery next time and just going to get the bags myself)

thank you.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 5:19 am

Any help is appreciated. I've read pages on this thread and can't seem to find an answer to my specific situation. We missed our connecting nonstop BA flight in LHR to DFW (home). They rerouted through Washington then UNITED to DFW. Bags never made it. Didn't find the bags in IAD to recheck so continued on UA flight to DFW. ( There was no time to talk to an agent as time was tight)

Filed a claim in DFW

DFW arrival Friday 12-30 - agent says one bag in IAD, one still in LHR
Sat 12-31 - online system still shows both scanned in LHR
Sun 01-01 - agent says still in LHR will send next day
Mon 01-02 Agent says still in LHR should arrive next day
Tues 01-03 Agent says should be out for delivery
Wed 01-04 ( Day 5) Agent says BA handling delivery. Should have been delivered. Said will call delivery service but cant get through to anyone.
Asked for compensation. Was told its your HOME base so only 150$ a bag. And couldn't get more because bags NOT LOST...Said you could provide receipts if you needed to buy anything.

Am I eligible for the 1500$ a bag compensation?
Old Jan 4, 2023, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Sizook
Any help is appreciated. I've read pages on this thread and can't seem to find an answer to my specific situation. We missed our connecting nonstop BA flight in LHR to DFW (home). They rerouted through Washington then UNITED to DFW. Bags never made it. Didn't find the bags in IAD to recheck so continued on UA flight to DFW. ( There was no time to talk to an agent as time was tight)

Filed a claim in DFW

DFW arrival Friday 12-30 - agent says one bag in IAD, one still in LHR
Sat 12-31 - online system still shows both scanned in LHR
Sun 01-01 - agent says still in LHR will send next day
Mon 01-02 Agent says still in LHR should arrive next day
Tues 01-03 Agent says should be out for delivery
Wed 01-04 ( Day 5) Agent says BA handling delivery. Should have been delivered. Said will call delivery service but cant get through to anyone.
Asked for compensation. Was told its your HOME base so only 150$ a bag. And couldn't get more because bags NOT LOST...Said you could provide receipts if you needed to buy anything.

Am I eligible for the 1500$ a bag compensation?
You are not yet eligible for $1500 LOST bag compensation until airline declares bags are lost. HOME base complicates reimbursement of purchase of clothing and toiletries. If your tickets are purchased with credit card that has delayed bag insurance such as Chase Sapphire, then you can file claim with Chase for expenses (I don't know if HOME base comes into play).
Sizook likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by CIT85
My delayed bag was delivered last night, full 7 days late, and sitting at Jacksonville Airport since 12/18. I had to call everyday and wait for 60+ minutes each time to talk to baggage claim, and then conference call with JAX twice to have them grab my bag and arrange for delivery. Now I can have Samiclaus beer for Christmas.
I filed a claim for actual expenses with receipts on Dec. 23, received check on Jan. 3, considering Christmas and New Years during that time frame, response was very fast.

My wife (UA Gold) is still waiting for her claim that I filed several days earlier. Her bag had an Air Tag so I knew where the bag was at al times. I neglected to place my Air Tag from my backpack into my checked bag, thus causing all the anxieties on the bag's whereabouts.

PSA: Place an Air Tag in each of the checked bags.

Last edited by CIT85; Jan 4, 2023 at 3:08 pm Reason: Air Tag comment
Old Jan 4, 2023, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold AA PLT
An update on my delayed/lost bags:
EWR-SLC originally scheduled on 12/25, cancelled in the small hours of 12/26. No staff to unload plane so filed claim at EWR and went home. Time line so far:
12/26 claim filed at EWR
12/28 Bags went to SLC despite claim and multiple phone calls to have bags pulled at EWR
12/29 Bags came back to EWR
12/31 First two bags delivered from PHL
1/2 Third bag delivered from PHL
1/4 Fourth bag located and promised to be delivered from PHL (soon), 5th bag still missing

Should I file a claim for compensation? At least two bags were delayed for more than 5 days, and the 5th bag may indeed be lost. It is going on 10 days. Also, my home airport is PHL, but EWR is within driving distance. Is my situation considered HOME base?
Old Jan 4, 2023, 9:46 pm
Suspended

An update on my delayed/lost bags:
EWR-SLC originally scheduled on 12/25, cancelled in the small hours of 12/26. No staff to unload plane so filed claim at EWR and went home. Time line so far:
12/26 claim filed at EWR
12/28 Bags went to SLC despite claim and multiple phone calls to have bags pulled at EWR
12/29 Bags came back to EWR
12/31 First two bags delivered from PHL
1/2 Third bag delivered from PHL
1/4 Fourth bag located and promised to be delivered from PHL (soon), 5th bag still missing

Should I file a claim for compensation? At least two bags were delayed for more than 5 days, and the 5th bag may indeed be lost. It is going on 10 days. Also, my home airport is PHL, but EWR is within driving distance. Is my situation considered HOME base?
If your addresses on file within your UA account and the government photo ID you may have uploaded as part of the UA claim process doesn’t have any NJ or NY address indications, they should not consider EWR your home base.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 5:39 am
Suspended

This was one that I hadn't come across before: United -- or more specifically its contractors outsourced to India -- approved a claim for a delayed baggage situation but is insisting that they can only send the money to a non-US bank account and is asking to be emailed bank account details by the customer who wants the funds to be sent by check within the US.

It seems like a bad idea for UA (or its contractors) to insist that customers email United with bank account information.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This was one that I hadn't come across before: United -- or more specifically its contractors outsourced to India -- approved a claim for a delayed baggage situation but is insisting that they can only send the money to a non-US bank account and is asking to be emailed bank account details by the customer who wants the funds to be sent by check within the US.

It seems like a bad idea for UA (or its contractors) to insist that customers email United with bank account information.
Uh.... are you sure the customer is dealing with United, and hasn't accidentally called a non-United number masquerading as United customer service?

Is there any logical reason for the transfer to be made outside of the US (i.e., customer resides outside of the US?)

Brussels Air wanted me to email bank account information in a similar situation, although IIRC they eventually accepted a fax. But they weren't making any strange requests about sending outside of the US, and I know UA sends regular checks for reimbursement because I've received several.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 11:19 am

My online claim submission for expenses resulted in a check in the mail, and not electronic wire transfer into bank account. This does sound very fishy.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 2:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jsloan
Uh.... are you sure the customer is dealing with United, and hasn't accidentally called a non-United number masquerading as United customer service?

Is there any logical reason for the transfer to be made outside of the US (i.e., customer resides outside of the US?)

Brussels Air wanted me to email bank account information in a similar situation, although IIRC they eventually accepted a fax. But they weren't making any strange requests about sending outside of the US, and I know UA sends regular checks for reimbursement because I've received several.
I am sure that all customer-initiated claim-related contacts were done in-person with UA and via the claim link from United’s website.

The customer used to have a foreign address but has no non-US bank account as far as the person knows as none was ever opened or maintained by the customer who was asked for the bank account info at the time of being informed that the claim was approved for the claim amount arising from the delayed baggage. IGT Solutions (in India), on behalf of United baggage resolution center.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am sure that all customer-initiated claim-related contacts were done in-person with UA and via the claim link from United’s website.

The customer used to have a foreign address but has no non-US bank account as far as the person knows as none was ever opened or maintained by the customer who was asked for the bank account info at the time of being informed that the claim was approved for the claim amount arising from the delayed baggage. IGT Solutions (in India), on behalf of United baggage resolution center.
UA runs its baggage resolution out of Houston. I suppose it's possible that they've outsourced some of the work to IGT, but generally the outsourced contractor isn't supposed to identify themselves as such.

I have received paper checks within the last six months from Houston.

Did the claim involve a foreign flight? I'm grasping at straws here. None of this seems legitimate. If they're trying to make payment in a foreign currency, I'd expect UA to convert it to USD and send a check.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.