Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues

Old Dec 11, 2014, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
DoT is proposing increased lost bag compensation -- increased from $3,500 to $3,800 effective 21 April 2021
================================================== =
Suggested reading is UA's lost bag info on the web: Baggage Info, Checked Bag Issues, checked UA's Baggage tracing and Damaged Bags

Delayed baggage and claim form
Updated prior to June 2023 to removed the $1,500 statement

new statement
Bags that dont arrive with you at your destination are considered delayed. Customers whose bags were delayed somewhere other than where they live may submit a claim for reimbursement of expenses, along with receipts, for the period during which their bags were delayed. If the bags arent found after five days, the customer may also submit a claim for their lost bags. Reimbursed expenses will be deducted from the total we pay you if your bags are permanently lost. You can submit a claim below.

For bags still lost after five days
If we cant find your bag after five days, well reimburse you for the value of your bag, its contents, and any fees you paid to check the bag. Receipts may be required and certain items might not be eligible for reimbursement. Depending on your trip, maximum claim limits may also apply.

The fastest way to start a claim is online, using the button below.
https://baggageclaimform.united.com/...uagecode=en-us

You can also contact us at the Baggage Recovery Center to file a claim:
old statement

For bags still lost after five days

If were unable to find your bag after five days, you may be eligible for $1,500 for the value of your baggage and its contents without requiring any documentation.
If we cant find your bag after five days, well reimburse you for the value of your bag, its contents, and any fees you paid to check the bag. Receipts may be required and certain items might not be eligible for reimbursement. Depending on your trip, maximum claim limits may also apply.Contact a United Representative at the Baggage Resolution Center by calling:
If the value of your lost bag and its contents is more than $1,500, you can document and claim a higher amount, with receipts. The most you can claim is $3,500 for flights within the U.S. There are different maximums for international flights. Customers whose baggage was delayed in a location other than their place of residence may submit a claim for reimbursement of interim expenses for the period during which the baggage was delayed, providing receipts. If the baggage is not found after five days, the customer may submit a claim for the lost baggage. The interim expenses will be deducted from the legal limit of reimbursement if the bag is permanently lost. Use the link below to submit a claim.
https://www.wheresmysuitcase.com/

When multiple carriers are involved, IATA convention on bag issues is that your claim is to be processed with the last carrier noted on the claim tag. that should have delivered the bags regardless on which carrier may or may not have created the issue.

Montreal Convention - Wikipedia
The Montreal Convention changes and generally increases the maximum liability of airlines for lost baggage to a fixed amount 1,131 SDR per passenger (the amount in the Warsaw Convention is based on weight of the baggage). It requires airlines to fully compensate travelers the cost of replacement items purchased until the baggage is delivered, to a maximum of 1,131 SDR. At 21 days any delayed baggage is considered lost, until the airline finds and delivers it.
Montreal Convention - IATA
Limits on Baggage Liability
Domestic Baggage Liability
  • For DOMESTIC flights, DOT regulation allows airlines to limit their liability for a lost, damaged, or delayed bag. Airlines are free to pay more than the limit, but are not required to do so.
  • The maximum liability amount allowed by the regulation is $3,800 per passenger.
International Baggage Liability
  • For most INTERNATIONAL flights, a treaty called the Montreal Convention applies to the carriage of baggage. The maximum baggage liability for flights covered by the Montreal Convention is currently 1,288 Special Drawing Rights (approximately $1,700.00 US) per passenger. This is the most that airlines must pay a passenger for a lost, damaged, or delayed bag. Airlines are free to pay more than the limit, but are not required to do so.
  • The Montreal Conventions international baggage liability limit is reviewed for inflationary adjustment every five years by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)
  • In the few situations when the Montreal Convention does not apply to travel to and from the United States, an older treaty called the Warsaw Convention may apply.

Archive thread: Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues

Old Nov 8, 2023, 3:38 am

Programs: UA1P
I flew from the US to Europe on a direct flight. My bag didn't arrive. I chatted with UA and opened a ticket. I had an Apple Airtag in the bag. The bag was left at the departure airport but did make it on the next flight. The bag then sat at the destination airport and barely moved around. UA via chat claimed that the bag was already delivered to me. Their website said th bag was "delivered to the destination airport" and did not say it was delivered to me. Each of the 4 days it sat at the airport, the worthless UA agents also claimed it was going to be delivered that day. One agent told me to go the airport. I spent nearly 5 hours door-to-door. While I was at the airport looking for it, I saw it leave the airport. It was delivered that night. I was frustrated as hell and called a spade a spade. I told the agent they were lying to me, attemptiung to feed me , AND/OR poorly trained OR all 3. I think all 3.

I submitted my expenses. 5 days came out to only around $400. They sent me a check for less than that. I had to resubmit a claim. I received another email saying they will pay the remaining amount. No explanation why they didn't reimburse me for the full amount. For compensation, they gave me a $100 voucher. I would have been satisfied if they gave me at least $400.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 8, 2023 at 10:58 am Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 3:15 am

United Baggage - interim expense reimbursement

Hi United/MileagePlus experts - I had filed an interim expense reimbursement for Baggade delays with United (FRA->IAH leg) in early January. I have got no emails on the status of the claim. When I contacted online support (via chat) they confirmed that the claim was approved for a certain value (~$250). I had claimed ~$400 ($250 with receipts, remaining was without receipts). I was asked to communicate my bank details in the EU (we currently live in the EU) - again by the chat agent. So far I have been promised a reimbursement for $250 by bank transfer within 90-days.
1. Is there a way to track when this transfer will happen? 90-days seems like a very large window.
2. Also, I have no email confirmation on any of these topics - all the confirmation was asked by me on chat and the chat representative provided the information above - it is really strange that United is not sending any email confirmations.
3. Is there a way to appeal the amount refunded?
edit: all details above is for a family of 3x people traveling together on the same itinerary.
Thanks for any guidance here.

Last edited by sociableorg; Feb 21, 2024 at 2:52 am
Old Feb 19, 2024, 7:30 am

Regarding question 3, need additional facts. How many people traveling who had delayed bags? What cabin? How long was the delay before you received the bags? Do you have any status? For example , $250 for a one person one day delay is generous.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by bmw303
Regarding question 3, need additional facts. How many people traveling who had delayed bags? What cabin? How long was the delay before you received the bags? Do you have any status? For example , $250 for a one person one day delay is generous.
Thanks. We were a family of 3 traveling together. Economy plus, flight landed Monday evening. We received bags Wednesday evening. No status with United, star alliance silver for one member.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.