Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 11, 2014, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
DoT is proposing increased lost bag compensation -- increased from $3,500 to $3,800 effective 21 April 2021
================================================== =
Suggested reading is UA's lost bag info on the web: Baggage Info, Checked Bag Issues, checked UA's Baggage tracing and Damaged Bags

Delayed baggage and claim form
Updated prior to June 2023 to removed the $1,500 statement

new statement
Bags that don’t arrive with you at your destination are considered delayed. Customers whose bags were delayed somewhere other than where they live may submit a claim for reimbursement of expenses, along with receipts, for the period during which their bags were delayed. If the bags aren’t found after five days, the customer may also submit a claim for their lost bags. Reimbursed expenses will be deducted from the total we pay you if your bags are permanently lost. You can submit a claim below.

For bags still lost after five days
If we can’t find your bag after five days, we’ll reimburse you for the value of your bag, its contents, and any fees you paid to check the bag. Receipts may be required and certain items might not be eligible for reimbursement. Depending on your trip, maximum claim limits may also apply.

The fastest way to start a claim is online, using the button below.
https://baggageclaimform.united.com/...uagecode=en-us

You can also contact us at the Baggage Recovery Center to file a claim:
old statement

For bags still lost after five days

If we’re unable to find your bag after five days, you may be eligible for $1,500 for the value of your baggage and its contents without requiring any documentation.
If we can’t find your bag after five days, we’ll reimburse you for the value of your bag, its contents, and any fees you paid to check the bag. Receipts may be required and certain items might not be eligible for reimbursement. Depending on your trip, maximum claim limits may also apply.Contact a United Representative at the Baggage Resolution Center by calling:
If the value of your lost bag and its contents is more than $1,500, you can document and claim a higher amount, with receipts. The most you can claim is $3,500 for flights within the U.S. There are different maximums for international flights. Customers whose baggage was delayed in a location other than their place of residence may submit a claim for reimbursement of interim expenses for the period during which the baggage was delayed, providing receipts. If the baggage is not found after five days, the customer may submit a claim for the lost baggage. The interim expenses will be deducted from the legal limit of reimbursement if the bag is permanently lost. Use the link below to submit a claim.
https://www.wheresmysuitcase.com/

When multiple carriers are involved, IATA convention on bag issues is that your claim is to be processed with the last carrier noted on the claim tag. that should have delivered the bags regardless on which carrier may or may not have created the issue.

Montreal Convention - Wikipedia
The Montreal Convention changes and generally increases the maximum liability of airlines for lost baggage to a fixed amount 1,131 SDR per passenger (the amount in the Warsaw Convention is based on weight of the baggage). It requires airlines to fully compensate travelers the cost of replacement items purchased until the baggage is delivered, to a maximum of 1,131 SDR. At 21 days any delayed baggage is considered lost, until the airline finds and delivers it.
Montreal Convention - IATA
Limits on Baggage Liability
Domestic Baggage Liability
  • For DOMESTIC flights, DOT regulation allows airlines to limit their liability for a lost, damaged, or delayed bag. Airlines are free to pay more than the limit, but are not required to do so.
  • The maximum liability amount allowed by the regulation is $3,800 per passenger.
International Baggage Liability
  • For most INTERNATIONAL flights, a treaty called the Montreal Convention applies to the carriage of baggage. The maximum baggage liability for flights covered by the Montreal Convention is currently 1,288 Special Drawing Rights (approximately $1,700.00 US) per passenger. This is the most that airlines must pay a passenger for a lost, damaged, or delayed bag. Airlines are free to pay more than the limit, but are not required to do so.
  • The Montreal Convention’s international baggage liability limit is reviewed for inflationary adjustment every five years by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)
  • In the few situations when the Montreal Convention does not apply to travel to and from the United States, an older treaty called the “Warsaw Convention ” may apply.

Archive thread: Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2022, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kilton
I would love to know precisely at which points in the loading & unloading processes these scans occur.
I’m not certain exactly how the app processes its customer-facing data from UA’s internal data, but if you’ve ever watched them load and unload bags — they scan each bag each time they have an interaction with it. They have handheld scanners and read the barcode of each bag as they’re putting it on the plane and again as they’re taking it off. At least, that’s SOP, anyway.
kilton likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 6:06 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kilton
Hmm, it never got scanned as coming off the plane though. That's what lead the UA baggage rep to conclude that it never actually left DEN. But that's interesting about bags showing up on the wrong carousel - I'll have to keep that in mind.

I would love to know precisely at which points in the loading & unloading processes these scans occur.
Did the agent actually pull the scan data in SHARES/AERO or just look at the app?

Generally the customer-facing information is pretty accurate (and at least for non-containerized [e.g. LD3, generally widebody]* "bulk" luggage -- pretty much every narrow-body falls into this category -- scans *typically* happen when the baggage is put on the end of the loader belt for loading and approximately the same point when unloaded. However, there are a number of things that can cause the customer-facing side to become confused and then stop displaying updates... however, if the agent looks at the scan data in SHARES [it may take a BSO/BRA trained agent to know how to do this] and possibly in Aero they'll see the full history even if it doesn't make sense.

For example, a while back I had a bag that "fell off the radar" and when I asked an agent to pull the history it turned out to be because one of the scans had been done with a handheld device that was set to the wrong flight number so the tracking as like Bag Tag Created / Handled / Loaded on flight 1234 / Unloaded from flight 4567 / Loaded on flight 2222 -- because it was "unloaded" from a flight it was never "loaded" on the customer-facing app just gave up and suppressed every scan after that point.

*- I haven't thought to track my bag on a widebody flight -- I assume in those cases there will be one scan for the "loaded in container" and then a group scan when the container is loaded in the aircraft...but that is just a guess.
kilton likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 7:20 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I'm not sure whether this belongs in a thread about Delayed Bags or somewhere else - I appreciate your understanding of a relatively long post.

Mrs Tarheelnj & I took a long weekend trip to Montreal. I purchased my ticket and used my miles for Mrs Tarheelnj's ticket.

Outbound (EWR-YUL) flight - YUL baggage claim area was a zoo, with hundreds of bags stacked up all over the baggage claim area. The app didn't indicate the baggage claim carousel, but the overhead monitors showed Carousel 1. I waited for a long time and after no bags came out after about 40 minutes, I started looking around. I noticed that baggage from other UA flights were arriving at Carousel 7, so I walked over there and found our 2 checked bags circling on that belt. Annoying, but not tragic, so we got on with our trip.

Return (YUL-EWR) flight - here's where the major issues happened, starting with when my wife's bag didn't show up in EWR. It's now more than 24 hours after yesterday's arrival and no indication of when we'll get the bag. Here are the facts:
  • We checked in for the 6:00am flight around 4:00am. Put my bag on my record and my wife's bag on her record. She is also 1K because of my MM status.
  • We printed off paper boarding passes, which I always do on any international flight.
  • No issues with Security or Customs pre-clearance. The Customs officer asked how many bags we had checked, presumably to confirm what he saw on his screen.
    • Note to those planning to take an early morning flight from YUL: Canadian Security opens at 4:00am, but US Customs doesn't open until 4:30am. If you have Global Entry, bring your card. A staff member was asking people to show it to be admitted into the separate GE line to use the kiosks.
  • I handed both boarding passes to the GA when we boarded, not watching what he did with them. We were first in line, since he called the entire Pre-boarding group list at the same time without pausing. He handed the BPs back and we boarded.
  • No in-flight issues. Checked the app bag tracking after boarding to confirm both bags were on the plane, then put the phone on airplane mode. After the jetway was retracted, the pilot announced that we were holding a few minutes to add some additional bags.
  • On arrival at EWR, my wife's BP and bag tracking info was no longer showing on my phone. I didn't think anything of it until her bag didn't arrive. Headed to Terminal C baggage claim desk.
  • The agent looked at her screen and said, "It shows your wife did not board the flight and her bag tag number isn't showing in our system." Resisting the urge to say, "then who is this woman who traveled with me?" I showed her my wife's paper BP and bag tag. She entered the info to set up a manual claim and gave us a yellow card with the case number.
  • I've called the Baggage Claim Resolution Center several times. They acknowledge they have her bag in YUL but so far won't commit to which UA YUL-EWR flight the bag will be on, telling me all they can do is send an email to the YUL baggage office. I'll continue to call them and write to 1k Voice until we get it back. Separately, when I check the Bag Tracking web site, it still shows they're attempting to locate the bag (contradicting the baggage resolution center). If any of you have any suggestions on what else i can do, I would appreciate it.

I'm guessing the most likely explanation is that the GA never scanned her BP. Which brings up some serious questions, which I included in my 1k voice note:
  • Why was there no passenger count-to-manifest match? That would have shown one extra passenger.
  • When the GA saw that my wife hadn't boarded (could he see she was sitting next to someone with the same last name?), why didn't he come onboard to confirm whether she was on?
  • Are there issues with a passenger entering the US while not officially "on" that flight? Doesn't this create liability for UA? If there hadn't been Pre-Clearance, what would have happened at Customs after UA submitted the manifest without her listed? Did she enter the US legally?
  • When the pilot announced the brief delay to add additional bags, they were likely removing hers. It wasn't until we landed that I noticed on the seat map that her seat was showing open. We were in F. The flight went out with open F seats after clearing all upgrades, so we missed out on what would have been a helpful confrontation by someone with a battlefield upgrade.
  • If I hadn't printed a paper BP and kept the baggage receipt, I would have had no way to show she was on the flight.
  • I called the MP Service Desk, and asked what their record showed, and they confirmed she was a "no-show" so I wouldn't automatically get my miles back for that flight (which I hadn't thought to ask for).

To stay relevant to this thread, I'll just say that I'm hoping that the above issues will motivate UA to get her bag back today. I just hope they don't send the bag to the YUL baggage hall, where it will likely be lost for weeks. I think it's appropriate at a minimum to get my miles back for her trip, but I'd appreciate any of your thoughts on what else I can do or expect. Thanks for staying with this long post.
Warriorconcept likes this.

Last edited by tarheelnj; Jul 5, 2022 at 7:28 am Reason: spell check
Old Jul 5, 2022, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Did the agent actually pull the scan data in SHARES/AERO or just look at the app?

Generally the customer-facing information is pretty accurate (and at least for non-containerized [e.g. LD3, generally widebody]* "bulk" luggage -- pretty much every narrow-body falls into this category -- scans *typically* happen when the baggage is put on the end of the loader belt for loading and approximately the same point when unloaded. However, there are a number of things that can cause the customer-facing side to become confused and then stop displaying updates... however, if the agent looks at the scan data in SHARES [it may take a BSO/BRA trained agent to know how to do this] and possibly in Aero they'll see the full history even if it doesn't make sense.

For example, a while back I had a bag that "fell off the radar" and when I asked an agent to pull the history it turned out to be because one of the scans had been done with a handheld device that was set to the wrong flight number so the tracking as like Bag Tag Created / Handled / Loaded on flight 1234 / Unloaded from flight 4567 / Loaded on flight 2222 -- because it was "unloaded" from a flight it was never "loaded" on the customer-facing app just gave up and suppressed every scan after that point..
The luggage agent looked on a computer after looking at what my phone said, but I don't know at what exactly. Whatever it was evidently didn't have more information than my app did. But your story about the misconfigured scanner answers the question I had in my head of "How could this be possible if the bags are scanned right before loading and after unloading?". I assume there are other possible scenarios also.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 12:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
I'm guessing the most likely explanation is that the GA never scanned her BP. Which brings up some serious questions, which I included in my 1k voice note:... .
Read the whole post by doubt the UA CS will.
First rule of write in, keep it short, focus on just what you need resolved. Questioning the procedures will go into the round file. Especially multiple speculations on top of each other. Overly long and involved messages just increases the chance you many issue, getting the bags return, gets lost in all the noise. If you really feel the need to write in about other issues, do it in a separate message.

Things like miss scanned BPs happens
UA claims I was a "no show" , cancelled rest of itin -- but I did actually fly!!!
Old Jul 5, 2022, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Read the whole post by doubt the UA CS will.
First rule of write in, keep it short, focus on just what you need resolved. Questioning the procedures will go into the round file. Especially multiple speculations on top of each other. Overly long and involved messages just increases the chance you many issue, getting the bags return, gets lost in all the noise. If you really feel the need to write in about other issues, do it in a separate message.

Things like miss scanned BPs happens
UA claims I was a "no show" , cancelled rest of itin -- but I did actually fly!!!
Good advice, as always. I treat 1K voice emails as though they're being read by an AI reader and, as you suggest, keep it short, to the point, and free of emotional add-on. On FT, though, I sometimes assume the reader will want all the facts.

After a 1 hr 45 minute wait mid-day today on hold for the Baggage Resolution Center, I got an agent who was actually willing to call the YUL baggage office while I was on hold. She returned to my call to say they committed to have the bag on the 5:11pm flight to EWR. We'll see, but if it is, then things will settle down at home and the rest becomes academic (i.e., stuff I'd just like to know but don't need to).

By the way, I do have to say I admire your ability to find and reference very old and yet highly relevant threads. My search abilities never seem to generate the same quality of results. Thanks!
Old Jul 17, 2022, 12:49 pm

Thanks

Last edited by David666; Jul 20, 2022 at 11:38 pm
Old Jul 24, 2022, 11:29 am

Advice needed

Flying Polaris class EWR to LHR. Friday’s flight cancelled, rebooked the following day. My single bag never made it on the plane to London. My Apple tag showed it’s still at EWR around gate 121. 4 more EWR to LHR legs have arrived. Still no bag. UA just says it’s searching for my bag. I can’t get anyone on the phone after lengthy holds. Twitter has not helped much other than saying they are working on it. Any pro tips would be helpful. My vacation is getting ruined by this.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 11:33 am

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Sorry about your baggage situation. Did you book the trip with a credit card that has lost or delayed baggage insurance? Or did you buy standalone travel insurance? If yes, then just treat yourself to a couple of hundred quid shopping trip in London. Save the receipts and lost bag communication with United.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 11:41 am

I sent 10 days in EDI with no bags in early June. They retuned to my US address 15 days after I returned. Keep receipts and file an insurance or airline claim
Old Jul 24, 2022, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trvlr70
Flying Polaris class EWR to LHR. Friday’s flight cancelled, rebooked the following day. My single bag never made it on the plane to London. My Apple tag showed it’s still at EWR around gate 121. 4 more EWR to LHR legs have arrived. Still no bag. UA just says it’s searching for my bag. I can’t get anyone on the phone after lengthy holds. Twitter has not helped much other than saying they are working on it. Any pro tips would be helpful. My vacation is getting ruined by this.
While clothes shopping on vacation isn’t the most pleasant activity in the world, UA has an obligation to get your bag to you and will reimburse you for reasonable purchases made until they do so. If you’re replacing something on Savile Row, that might be worth preauthorization; if you’re just talking about stopping at Marks & Spencer, I wouldn’t stress much over it. Just save your receipts, as frmnj said.

Originally Posted by frmnj
Sorry about your baggage situation. Did you book the trip with a credit card that has lost or delayed baggage insurance? Or did you buy standalone travel insurance? If yes, then just treat yourself to a couple of hundred quid shopping trip in London. Save the receipts and lost bag communication with United.
Exactly. UA has never quibbled about expenses for bag delays. The only airline that ever gave me a hard time was Brussels Air, but they relented once I repeated myself frequently enough (they wanted me to claim against insurance first, which isn’t how that works).
Old Jul 25, 2022, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by trk1
I sent 10 days in EDI with no bags in early June. They retuned to my US address 15 days after I returned. Keep receipts and file an insurance or airline claim

EDI is an amazing mess. Spent 4 days there without and hunting my golf clubs. That was before The Open was on and things got really bad from the pics I have seen. My email to UA Customer Care was answered with a sorry for the days without your clubs and ruining your golf trip, we will let our teams know (that we absolutely suck at everything related to being an airline) and hope to serve you again soon.

My attempt to file an online claim for expenses was met with errors when using the bag tag number and the File Ref. Number. Called in again to spend an hour on hold for my friends in India to tell me that the real reference number was one that I did not have and is not shown anywhere on my claim form from the airport??? - frigin amazing.

I think it's fair to say UA has gone {removed} from the customer service/bag handling standpoint. What a debacle.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 25, 2022 at 2:56 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 11:05 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Bag got stuck during a 1.5 hour layover in IAD. I noticed one of my two bags didn't say "loaded onto flight" in the app upon pushback. Checked with the baggage agent at ORD after landed and apparently there was an attempted scan to load my bag onto a flight to IAH(??). Anyway, I was offered $100 ETC or 5k miles immediately as Silver and told my bag would be delivered within 24 hours. Waited two days and called into the MP Premier baggage desk and was preapproved $150/day for toiletries, clothes etc. at my home airport. Got the bag around midnight a few hours later.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 6:18 am

Location: 5 min. from ITH, 1:20 from SYR, but will drive for E+
Programs: UA 1K/MM
Originally Posted by allergictocoach
. . . I think it's fair to say UA has gone {removed} from the customer service/bag handling standpoint. What a debacle.
I was going to ask about avenues within UA for customer service and bag handling. Still waiting on a bag from OSL-LHR-EWR on July 14. 1K Bags (finally found a helpful person there) says it's sitting in Heathrow, but no one at UA can seem to call up baggage people at Heathrow and get them to load it onto the plane. I've written into the void of 1K Voice emails - so far, crickets. Is there a channel for escalating up through UA Customer Care to someone who can find the right person, have them walk down to the baggage room at LHR, and put the bag on a flight to EWR? I've filed a claim, but the online form says it will take 6-8 weeks (!) for processing.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by UpstateNY
I was going to ask about avenues within UA for customer service and bag handling. Still waiting on a bag from OSL-LHR-EWR on July 14. 1K Bags (finally found a helpful person there) says it's sitting in Heathrow, but no one at UA can seem to call up baggage people at Heathrow and get them to load it onto the plane. I've written into the void of 1K Voice emails - so far, crickets. Is there a channel for escalating up through UA Customer Care to someone who can find the right person, have them walk down to the baggage room at LHR, and put the bag on a flight to EWR? I've filed a claim, but the online form says it will take 6-8 weeks (!) for processing.
I did some digging and sent an email last night that prompted a call from a baggage service lead just a couple of hours later. Mind you I was complaining about the fact that my friend was offered a voucher for an in op IFE screen on our return flight….for my misdirected bag and using rental clubs 3/4 of my trip I was offered an assurance they would let their teams know. To be fair I think my issue would be easier to remedy then getting a bag located at a UK airport. They are well in over their heads over there at the moment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.