Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues

Hide Wikipost
Old May 25, 19, 3:57 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Suggested reading is UA's lost bag info on the web: Baggage Info, Checked Bag Issues, checked UA's Baggage tracing and Damaged Bags

Delayed baggage and claim form
For bags still lost after three days

For bags checked June 1, 2017, or later, if we're unable to find your bag after three days, we'll pay you $1,500 for the value of the bag and its contents without requiring any documentation. The Baggage Resolution Center will contact you to process a compensation payment. We will also reimburse you for the amount you paid to check the bag.

If the value of your lost bag and its contents is more than $1,500, you may document and claim higher amounts up to the DOT required maximum of $3,500 per traveler for flights with the U.S., and applicable maximum for international flights. To do so, please use the link below.
https://www.wheresmysuitcase.com/

IATA convention on bag issues when multiple carriers are involved -- you deal with the carrier that should have delivered the bags regardless on which carrier may or may not created the issue.

Montreal Convention - Wikipedia
The Montreal Convention changes and generally increases the maximum liability of airlines for lost baggage to a fixed amount 1,131 SDR per passenger (the amount in the Warsaw Convention is based on weight of the baggage). It requires airlines to fully compensate travelers the cost of replacement items purchased until the baggage is delivered, to a maximum of 1,131 SDR. At 21 days any delayed baggage is considered lost, until the airline finds and delivers it.
Montreal Convention - IATA
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 13, 17, 12:28 am

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Where are you planning to ski ?

I would buy/rent whatever you need and submit the receipts for reimbursement - check the credit card used for the ticket or directly to United. If clothes are tough to rent, check consignment shops to buy.
Old Jan 13, 17, 12:29 am

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by wb233629 View Post
Any help is appreciated. On a bachelor party and arrived in Denver with three ski bags missing. Unhelpful agent claims they randomly take bags off the plane as needed but they picked three priority tagged bags in the same party.

They have offered $75 dollars per person to rent skis which is reasonable but the ski clothes were also packed in those bags. They are offering zero compensation for the fact that we cannot ski without them or that lift tickets have been paid for in advance and are now effectively worthless.

I spent an hour waiting on hold to be told that there are no supervisors working because it is midnight in Houston.

For what hat it is worth I am premier platinum and we were on paid first class tickets.

Thanks in advance.
In aspen and most Colorado ski resorts you can rent all clothes needed for skiing for $50-$75 a day
Google ski clothes rental and resort you are skiing
Old Jan 13, 17, 12:48 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
not sure if you guys were planning an early start, but they're generally good at driving delayed baggage to you as soon as it arrives to the airport.

of course, go through all official lost/delayed baggage procedure immediately to preserve your rights, and keep your claim stubs. those are required when asking for compensation from UA and probably your credit card company.
Old Jan 13, 17, 8:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver View Post
Where are you planning to ski ?

I would buy/rent whatever you need and submit the receipts for reimbursement - check the credit card used for the ticket or directly to United. If clothes are tough to rent, check consignment shops to buy.
I would keep pushing the issue. My sister confronted this with respect to ski clothes last year and ultimately got United to pay for an entirely new kit at resort prices (I wouldn't go overboard).
Old Jan 24, 17, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post
OP didn't include any information that I saw to know whether or not replacement clothing, toiletries, etc. would be allowed.

Believe bag needs to be delayed for 24 hours first (OP says this was 10 hours, and based on my view, that was only 2 hours ago) and unless things have changed for the better (very doubtful), if bags went missing on a flight home, UA (or other carriers) typically won't reimburse for those items even if delayed for over 24 hours.
there is no such rule.

one may need toothpaste and sleep clothes 1 hour after the bag is delayed. such expenses were authorized in my case after a delay off a terminator flight. i was reimbursed the $32.32 even though bags appeared 22 hours later. the key is that you get authorization to spend.

ua (or others) will not reimburse any items if not authorized before hand. in another case my bags were delayed 4 days, and every night i'd get a little bit more and more cleared, to the point of $200usd. hopefully they'll pay that.

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post

You can expect to be reimbursed for reasonable necessary expenses. But, as a rule of thumb I would not spend anything that you would not spend if you were not being reimbursed as you may not be. As a practical matter, consider that generous carry-on allowances will get most people through the first 3-4 days at least, so hopefully this isn't an issue for most.
some of us have long layovers (enough to go into town) so we checked everything in and just travelled with a laptop bag. explaining this to the agents gave me leverage to get more compensation for necessary expenses during my 4 day bag delay. including running shoes.
Old Jan 24, 17, 6:54 am

You should clarify if this was a domestic ticket. If it was international you have many many more protections.

Originally Posted by phbl View Post
there is no such rule.

one may need toothpaste and sleep clothes 1 hour after the bag is delayed. such expenses were authorized in my case after a delay off a terminator flight. i was reimbursed the $32.32 even though bags appeared 22 hours later. the key is that you get authorization to spend.

ua (or others) will not reimburse any items if not authorized before hand. in another case my bags were delayed 4 days, and every night i'd get a little bit more and more cleared, to the point of $200usd. hopefully they'll pay that.

some of us have long layovers (enough to go into town) so we checked everything in and just travelled with a laptop bag. explaining this to the agents gave me leverage to get more compensation for necessary expenses during my 4 day bag delay. including running shoes.
Old Jan 25, 17, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by moops380 View Post
You should clarify if this was a domestic ticket. If it was international you have many many more protections.
good point. the $200usd was for a bag delay at an intl downline station on an intl tix. i always carry on but i had 10 hours in munich so i went with just a laptop bag. the bag call center in iah authorized my expenses progressively (calling every night and getting $50 more per night), including running shoes i insisted i needed for a meeting with a client in the forest on day 3 of the delay. the shoes cost $100usd, agent said that's cutting it close and that i should opt for "the cheap $60 pair of shoes that you'd leave in your car or garage or whatever". i told her in canada that $60 pair would cost $100, and there was snow on the ground so i needed a pair that had treads and was warm. and she seemed convinced. submitted claim 3 weeks ago, we'll see. do you think it would be adjudicated differently being that i'm a platinum?

the $32 was dom, as the ua bag office didn't have any more overnight kits (toothpaste, t shirt, etc)

Last edited by phbl; Jan 25, 17 at 1:36 am
Old Feb 16, 17, 8:16 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Baggage Destroyed

Long time reader here...

I've noticed more frequent issues with checked baggage in the last few years. Lost bags here and there, I've been forgiving about, since they deliver it to my door within 48 hours usually.

However, I recently had 2 checked bags absolutely mangled by UA baggage handlers. We flew CLE-ORD-HNL in E+. On arrival in HNL, we first received my husband's bag and noticed that the retractable handle was stuck in the extended position. It was retracted when we handed the bags over in CLE. Then we noticed that one of the built in luggage straps had the buckle cracked off and missing- rendering it useless. We retrieved my bag and while my husband tried to fix the handle so it fit in the rental car trunk, we exited the airport quickly. It wasn't until we were unpacking in the hotel that I realized my bag felt somewhat "sloppy". After unzipping the liner, I saw that the internal frame (polycarbonate i believe), had been shattered into many pieces, leaving no stability to the bag. These are Burton wheeled bags that are about $300 each, and have held up to numerous trips around the world over the years we have had them. If it were one bag, I could understand an accident, but both bags looking like they got dropped on the tarmac from 10,000 feet, or run over is just ridiculous.

Does anybody have experience with getting any kind of restitution for damage to baggage? And if so, who did you contact for successful resolution?

I have a flight coming up in about a week, CLE-IAH-SAP, and I'll be carrying on the most fragile of medical equipment I'll be transporting, but I'm still worried about the portion I'm forced to check being manhandled given my recent experience.

Any guidance would be appreciated.
Old Feb 16, 17, 8:21 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Welcome to FT!, 21isfun
Originally Posted by 21isfun View Post
Does anybody have experience with getting any kind of restitution for damage to baggage? And if so, who did you contact for successful resolution? ....
You must report the damage, in person, at an airport, within 24 hours of arrival (if a domestic flight)
If you’ve left the airport…

For United-operated flights within or between the U.S., Guam, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, damaged baggage must be viewed by and reported in person at the airport Baggage Service Office within 24 hours after flight arrival to be eligible for repair or replacement.
And yes, restitution is possible but the timely reporting is essential.
Old Feb 16, 17, 11:26 pm

good point. the $200usd was for a bag delay at an intl downline station on an intl tix. i always carry on but i had 10 hours in munich so i went with just a laptop bag. the bag call center in iah authorized my expenses progressively (calling every night and getting $50 more per night), including running shoes i insisted i needed for a meeting with a client in the forest on day 3 of the delay. the shoes cost $100usd, agent said that's cutting it close and that i should opt for "the cheap $60 pair of shoes that you'd leave in your car or garage or whatever". i told her in canada that $60 pair would cost $100, and there was snow on the ground so i needed a pair that had treads and was warm. and she seemed convinced. submitted claim 3 weeks ago, we'll see. do you think it would be adjudicated differently being that i'm a platinum?

the $32 was dom, as the ua bag office didn't have any more overnight kits (toothpaste, t shirt, etc)
next time dont bother talking with the ua staff about this. They either dont have a good answer or are trained to try to give you almost nothing. On a flight from europe youre covered under the montreal convention article 19. Just buy whatever you need until the bag shows up. Keep the receipts and i would just mail in the form as the fax line is constantly busy. They are legally obliged to reimburse up to around $1500 of expenses at time of writing. Your expenses are up to you, buy whatever shoes you want, etc, you dont need to explain your choice of shoes. Even more sad if you are an elite and they told you to keep calling. Double check the montreal convention to ensure the itinerary qualifies. On a mixed carrier itinerary it is the last carrier you deal with.

Last edited by moops380; Feb 17, 17 at 12:00 am
Old Feb 18, 17, 12:45 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by moops380 View Post
next time dont bother talking with the ua staff about this. They either dont have a good answer or are trained to try to give you almost nothing. On a flight from europe youre covered under the montreal convention article 19. Just buy whatever you need until the bag shows up. Keep the receipts and i would just mail in the form as the fax line is constantly busy. They are legally obliged to reimburse up to around $1500 of expenses at time of writing. Your expenses are up to you, buy whatever shoes you want, etc, you dont need to explain your choice of shoes. Even more sad if you are an elite and they told you to keep calling. Double check the montreal convention to ensure the itinerary qualifies. On a mixed carrier itinerary it is the last carrier you deal with.
Does the Montreal Convention apply to INTL Flights that orginate from the USA as well?
Old Feb 18, 17, 4:45 am

Yes. Flights from any of the member countries to a different country( only one has to be a member country, but there are very few countries not in the icao), this includes almost all international flights.

So this does not apply to domestic flights!
Old Apr 11, 17, 1:16 am

travelled with a briefcase carry on only and i made it clear running shoes were in my luggage and i needed them for a meeting. i was borrowing workout gear (it's extremely cold here) and was cleared for $220usd in clothing/sundry/etc. if i didn't need the shoes or if i had them i wouldn't claim them.

received bags 4 days later. called in, $220 usd confirmed and $175 travel voucher (i'm a ua platinum).

faxing my claim during the annual day of sloth tomorrow. how long yall reckon for this claim to be processed?
ua platinum

delay occurred off flight arriving late 19dec16. i was in the mid point of a round trip (ie aaa--here i am--aaa), claimed at airport

called in 20dec16 needing running shoes:
[ua]:"just buy a 60 dollar pair or whatever, what you need for 1 or 2 days, then throw those shoes in your trunk when you need to paint the house or something...don't go fancy now!"
[me]:"it's really icy here in canada and running shoes that are suitable for that and long 2 hour runs with a potential client of mine don't go for $60usd"
[ua]:"ok fine well stay smart and don't abuse it"
[me]......

.......21dec16 bought $110 shoes for my run with client and a couple h+m tees and a lovely sweater to the amount of $190usd that i'm sure dazzled my client over wings

22dec16 still no bags, agent said "call us when you get your bags, we talk compensation"

24dec16 bags arrived, offered and took $175usd travel credit

26dec16 claim submitted

8jan17 letter of apology and check issued for $190usd

so yes. you can reimburse running shoes for long delay. some ft made it seem difficult. i say this sh## aint difficult. i'm sure many of yall would say i should have purchased new winter workout gear instead of borrowing for my client but hey, even a smaller portion would have said to purchase $800 in sh##, claim it, get the check, then return the clothing. but i'm happy.

Last edited by phbl; Apr 11, 17 at 1:27 am
Old Apr 26, 17, 4:54 pm

Is compensation just reimbursement or is it common to get credits as well?

Coming home (MEL-LAX-SFO-YYC), our luggage never arrived and was told it was left in SFO. We're at day 3 and still no word of the bag.
Old Apr 30, 17, 9:29 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Chingyul View Post
Is compensation just reimbursement or is it common to get credits as well?

Coming home (MEL-LAX-SFO-YYC), our luggage never arrived and was told it was left in SFO. We're at day 3 and still no word of the bag.
Frustrating.. First off whom was the last carrier that you had flown SFO-YYC if it was UA, did you file a claim? Do you have a Claim Number. Have you called UA to check the status of your bag? Have you looked at wheresmysuitcase.com?

Reimbursement is for items that you need until your bags finally arrive (UA will give you some idea on what you can spend in reason once you chat with them) Also credit cards if use to purchase the air ticket gives substantial assist in these cases (The Chase Explorer Card is good) Lastly Compensation is provided upon request once your bag is returned as a measure of goodwill by UA. Normally in an Ecert that can be uses for future travel. The higher your MP Status the higher the award in my experience.. Good luck hope this helps..

Search this Thread