FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   United MileagePlus Master Wiki (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1539058-united-mileageplus-master-wiki.html)

mgcsinc Jan 7, 2014 5:55 pm

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

Over in the where-to-sit megathread, I suggest that maybe what this forum needs is a consolidated "thread of threads" -- or, more accurately, a wiki of threads. So here's my attempt, cobbled together in 15 minutes with just a sampling of links based on the first couple of pages of the forum. Edit away, or suggest killing (the thread or me), or whatever!

Didn't realize that the links don't get auto-titled. Will fix in due course.

mgcsinc Jan 7, 2014 7:57 pm

I've now fixed the links so this is readable. I hope the mods might indulge me in this bump, since the initial version was unreadable.

Would love some help making this a thing.

StingWest Jan 7, 2014 8:14 pm

Nice job - thanks! I will bookmark this on its own, and hope the moderator can make this whole thing a sticky..

PV_Premier Jan 7, 2014 8:33 pm

i think the "ancillary cash cows" section is bound to get out of control :p

might want hub/connecting airport threads. i don't have time to look them up right now but i know they exist for IAD, IAH, ORD, EWR, SFO. not sure about DEN and LAX. probably not for CLE but i may be proven wrong :p

maybe also the p.s. thread, how to upgrade on *A carriers, general award ticket redeposit/fees/etc. threads.

coutura Jan 7, 2014 8:33 pm

I like this idea.

I went ahead and added a few different threads that seem to keep popping up.

alex_b Jan 8, 2014 7:21 am

Originally Posted by coutura (Post 22107883)
I like this idea.

Isn't this what the FAQ is supposed to be for?

mgcsinc Jan 8, 2014 8:43 am

So, what do people think, should we use more consistent descriptive titles rather than the thread titles?

Originally Posted by coutura (Post 22107883)
I like this idea.

Awesome, awesome work! You quintupled (or more) the number of links.

Originally Posted by alex_b (Post 22110065)
Isn't this what the FAQ is supposed to be for?

I think so, but the FAQ seemed to die on the vine. I think it was supposed to have more in the way of actual content rather than just a list of links.

As it is, I'm inclined to think that this format is much more sustainable. The FAQ sat stickied for a long time, but I think it required too much coordination and time to develop, so it sorta never happened.

alex_b Jan 8, 2014 9:04 am

Originally Posted by mgcsinc (Post 22110517)

I think so, but the FAQ seemed to die on the vine. I think it was supposed to have more in the way of actual content rather than just a list of links.

As it is, I'm inclined to think that this format is much more sustainable. The FAQ sat stickied for a long time, but I think it required too much coordination and time to develop, so it sorta never happened.

I think the FAQ is still a valuable concept and would be happy to work on it. Now that so many of these threads have Q&A wikis already, consolidating them into a FAQ should be quite straightforward.

I also think a FAQ would be more viable than pointing someone at the whole of the simple questions thread and expecting them to find the answer.

mgcsinc Jan 8, 2014 9:13 am

Originally Posted by alex_b (Post 22110662)
I think the FAQ is still a valuable concept and would be happy to work on it. Now that so many of these threads have Q&A wikis already, consolidating them into a FAQ should be quite straightforward.

I also think a FAQ would be more viable than pointing someone at the whole of the simple questions thread and expecting them to find the answer.

They are different problems, to a certain extent. Even as an experienced user here, how do I find the sdc thread? Either it's sitting on the front page, or I Google it, and it feels silly. I very strongly believe there should be one matter thread for experienced and inexperienced users alike top find the right discussion thread for their question.

I'd like to see every thread have a wiki. The wiki+ discussion model makes a lot of sense -- if the question is answered in the wiki, great, otherwise ask it right below she wiki, someone will answer, and then add that info to the wiki. My own personal view is that a consolidated FAQ would be way too unwieldy. Some of the individual wikis have become ungodly long, as it is. The other good thing about separate wikis is that a little community develops on each thread, with a sense of ownership over the wiki, making sure it stays fresh.

If I had the time, I'd go through and add a wiki to every thread linked from this one.

a9504477 Jan 8, 2014 1:55 pm

Thanks mgcsinc, this is quite useful.

mgcsinc Jan 8, 2014 7:32 pm

I've added a few more threads and standardized the airport links. Do people have opinions about standardizing. If not, I might just up and do it.

Also, would a "current promotions" (meaning both tin-box amenity kits and double mile deals) section be useful? Or do those bubble to the front page naturally enough?

Originally Posted by a9504477 (Post 22112931)
Thanks mgcsinc, this is quite useful.

It's actually mostly been others. :)

shdflyer Jan 8, 2014 8:46 pm

Awesome, thank you!!

alex_b Jan 9, 2014 6:54 am

Added how to find upgrade availability thread. Also I changed the "ancillary cash cows" to "UC and *A Lounges" as a) that's what those threads are about b) for new FTers it will be more obvious where to look.

alex_b Jan 9, 2014 5:53 pm

Added a new *A lounge access thread, I know there are dozens more of these (including a few on LHR) but my search-fu is failing me tonight.

mgcsinc Jan 9, 2014 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by alex_b (Post 22117230)
Added how to find upgrade availability thread. Also I changed the "ancillary cash cows" to "UC and *A Lounges" as a) that's what those threads are about b) for new FTers it will be more obvious where to look.

Originally Posted by alex_b (Post 22121909)
Added a new *A lounge access thread, I know there are dozens more of these (including a few on LHR) but my search-fu is failing me tonight.

Thanks for these additions, and I agree. Lounges deserve a dedicated section.