Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Wide availability on Aer Lingus DUB-BOS in October+

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2014, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS

I was trying to book a complex award to Asia, crossing both oceans, and the only business class availability for the dates I needed, TATL, was on Aer Lingus. DUB-BOS.

When I called to book the award, two different agents told me they could not "see" the space. Phantom availability? No, I was able to put the reservation on hold on United.com, which never happens with phantom.

Eventually via talking to the supervisor, they booked the ticket for me. It books into "U" class. I don't know what magic you have to do to get the agent to do this for you, but there is another quirk: Aer Lingus has 24 hours to cancel the reservation, and thus United is not allowed to ticket until a 24 hour waiting period has passed. I'm told however that it will auto-cancel at midnight following the 24 hour mark, so you must call back exactly at 24 hours!

Yes, this is not the best way to get TATL, but since it was the only way for me to route via Europe and still get home, I'll take it.

I read this forum a LOT and I've never seen this referenced, so if there is an old thread somewhere that explains it feel free to point the way and merge.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 6:59 am

Programs: UA 1K
Yeah, this crazy "it takes 24 hours to confirm the space, and it will be auto-cancelled if it's not confirmed" situation is common with partners with whom UA does not have good technical relationships.

I think the phrase used to refer to the "good" partners where things just work is "seamless ticketing" (like, you can book, confirm, and ticket a LH flight via UA almost instantly because their relationship is "seamless").

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.