Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Experiences/Tips Checking Snow Skis On UA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2018, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Experiences/Tips Checking Snow Skis On UA?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:29 am

Baggage on United for Ski Trip - Basic Economy / Premier Silver

I’ve booked 4 x Economy Basic tickets ORD – DEN for a family ski trip, and I’m trying to figure out baggage. All booked under one reservation. I have Premier Silver status, but my wife and kids (age 7 and 9) do not have any status.

I’ve researched online and think I’ve figured it out – but want to check - is my interpretation below correct?!?

Checked Bags: As a Premier member I get one checked bag for free, and as travelling companions on the same reservation my wife and kids also get one checked bag for free.

Skis: Boots/Skis count as one checked item. If I can squeeze 2 sets of skis into one ski bag, and 2 pairs of boots into one boot bag, and total is under 50lbs, then this only counts as one checked item.

Carry on: Because I’m United Premier I can take one full size carry on for free. I don’t see anywhere stating that travelling companions get this also, so assuming my wife and kids cannot bring a carry on unless we pay $25 per bag. All of us can take on a personal item each.

Thanks for the help!!
Old Feb 4, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
United increased baggage allowances for Silver. You get two bags each, up to 70 lbs.

MileagePlus Updates

All companions on the same PNR will get that benefit, so you should have no issues checking bags.

Ordinarily, elite benefits extend to other aspects as well for all companions, which should entitle you all to carry ons as elites. But I don't know if that's different with BE.
Xyzzy and rob12345 like this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: 1K
Was the agent correct?

I'm a 1K and tried checking the following.
- Two large bags, both under 50lbs
- Ski bag and boot bag (combined over 50 lbs)

Since the skis and boots were over 50lbs, the agent tried to charge me $150.

My position was that as a 1K I get 3 free bags (2 large bags and boot bag) and my skis fly for free. She was adamant that the boots and skis have to be weighted together. I said, "just pretend my boot bag is a regular bag and I showed up with my skis only". She wasn't having any of it... I ended up moving stuff around between bags to get the skis and boots under 50 so didn't have to pay the fee.

Heres the policy.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...equipment.html

United accepts one item of ski or snowboard equipment per customer as checked baggage. Equipment must be securely encased in a suitable container. An item of ski equipment consists of:

Water skis
Up to two snowboards in one bag and one snow boot bag
Up to two pairs of snow skis and associated equipment in one bag and one ski boot bag
If the combined weight of the ski bag and boot bag is over 50 pounds (23 kg), applicable overweight charges apply.
A boot bag without an accompanied ski bag is considered one bag and normal baggage fees apply.
First or second checked bag service charges may apply.

Ski equipment in addition to the baggage allowance will be assessed at the current excess baggage charge for a single piece, whether or not it is presented as a single piece.

Ski and boot bags weighing more than 50 pounds (23 kg) or that contain other items in addition to appropriate ski equipment will be subject to the applicable overweight checked baggage service charge. Ski and boot bags that do not contain ski-related items will be subject to any applicable oversize and overweight checked baggage service charges.

United is not liable for damage to water ski, snow ski, or snowboard equipment.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by zdog2x
Was the agent correct?

I'm a 1K and tried checking the following.
- Two large bags, both under 50lbs
- Ski bag and boot bag (combined over 50 lbs)

Since the skis and boots were over 50lbs, the agent tried to charge me $150.

My position was that as a 1K I get 3 free bags (2 large bags and boot bag) and my skis fly for free. She was adamant that the boots and skis have to be weighted together. I said, "just pretend my boot bag is a regular bag and I showed up with my skis only". She wasn't having any of it... I ended up moving stuff around between bags to get the skis and boots under 50 so didn't have to pay the fee.

Heres the policy.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/baggage/sports-equipment.html

United accepts one item of ski or snowboard equipment per customer as checked baggage. Equipment must be securely encased in a suitable container. An item of ski equipment consists of:

Water skis
Up to two snowboards in one bag and one snow boot bag
Up to two pairs of snow skis and associated equipment in one bag and one ski boot bag

If the combined weight of the ski bag and boot bag is over 50 pounds (23 kg), applicable overweight charges apply.
A boot bag without an accompanied ski bag is considered one bag and normal baggage fees apply.
First or second checked bag service charges may apply.

Ski equipment in addition to the baggage allowance will be assessed at the current excess baggage charge for a single piece, whether or not it is presented as a single piece.

Ski and boot bags weighing more than 50 pounds (23 kg) or that contain other items in addition to appropriate ski equipment will be subject to the applicable overweight checked baggage service charge. Ski and boot bags that do not contain ski-related items will be subject to any applicable oversize and overweight checked baggage service charges.

United is not liable for damage to water ski, snow ski, or snowboard equipment.
Technically correct if one goes by the sporting equipment rule. But that ignores the practical idea that the agent should have bigger fish to fry than to have a 1K member repacking bags.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: United MileagePlus: 1K
I ran into this a few weeks ago. When I used the kiosk, I was told that I needed to select the correct number of bags (regular bag, ski bag, and boot bag). After I select 3, there should be a new button at the bottom of the kiosk screen as asking for exceptions. On that screen, you can say you have a ski bag and boot bag. This will print the extra tag but count only 2 bags total instead of 3.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by onthesam
Technically correct if one goes by the sporting equipment rule. But that ignores the practical idea that the agent should have bigger fish to fry than to have a 1K member repacking bags.
Well that's just stupid. The 70 lb rule doesn't supersede or otherwise apply to the ski/snowboard rule? It seems logical that it would, just as it does the regular baggage weight limit.

Going to Vancouver later this month and taking my board and 3 pairs of skis, with boots, poles, helmets, etc. Kids' gear is small yet and I plan on cramming everything into 2 board/ski bags. We'll see how it goes.

EDIT: So I tweeted @UNITED and the response is that there is a firm 50lb limit, regardless of status. Dumb.

Last edited by gobluetwo; Mar 7, 2019 at 5:08 pm
Old Jan 7, 2021, 10:50 pm

Has anyone prepaid bags for Skis on United?

I was just about to prepay for my Skis but I noticed in the fine print it says you cannot prepay "special items". I am 99% sure their intention is that you cannot prepay for the (majority) of the special items that cost more than a normal bag. But OTH, Skis technically are special items.

Has anyone had any issues with this?
Old Jan 8, 2021, 6:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
I thought you are allowed 1 ski bag (+1 boot bag) to check in for free if you do not have status. If you have another bag to check, there is a cost - it will be considered a 2nd checked bag.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 7:05 am

Programs: AC50K, OZ*G
Just to clarify this further United allows 1 checked bag to equal skis and boot bag (so two pieces). Some agents are sometime strict and make sure that only 'boots' are included in the boot bag (i.e. no clothing, etc.). So if you do not have a checked bag allowance, you would be charged for a standard bag.
drewguy likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 10:21 am

Yeah I actually don't do boot bags mostly because the desk agents hate them and sometimes you have to argue (which is no fun way to start a vacation), but also I find it easier/safer to just pack my boots in my carry on and stuff extra clothes in the ski bag.

My question was just whether I can prepay the $30 for skis. The literal interpretation of their TOS is no, but I feel like that was not intended since they cost the same as a normal bag.

According to an article I read, united refunds prepaid bags automatically if you don't use them. So I went ahead and purchased the bag. I figure worse case scenario I pay $5 extra at the airport.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 11:13 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by quendin
... stuff extra clothes in the ski bag. ....
Note this is specifically not allowed but you may get away with it -- or may not.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Yeah I actually don't do boot bags mostly because the desk agents hate them and sometimes you have to argue (which is no fun way to start a vacation), but also I find it easier/safer to just pack my boots in my carry on and stuff extra clothes in the ski bag.

My question was just whether I can prepay the $30 for skis. The literal interpretation of their TOS is no, but I feel like that was not intended since they cost the same as a normal bag.

According to an article I read, united refunds prepaid bags automatically if you don't use them. So I went ahead and purchased the bag. I figure worse case scenario I pay $5 extra at the airport.
Slightly OT, but I carry on boots to eliminate risk of loss/delay. Easy to ski with rental skis; a lot less fun doing so with rental boots.

Anyway, my guess is you'll be fine. I imagine the limit on prepay is because of the confusion it would cause the system when you get two bags (skis and boots) for the price of one - they'd show one in the system, and then the agent would have to override to add the boot bag for free. Could they program this? Of course - but probably not worth it given the relatively low percentage of checked bags that are skis/boots.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Note this is specifically not allowed but you may get away with it -- or may not.
Wow- I hope not. The clothes are more there to protect my bindings and less to circumvent policies hah. I guess you are right though, their rule states you can only have ski equipment in either bag.

I did probably way too much googling years ago about boot bags (after I got into a debate about a desk agent about it). The general consensus was agents hate free boot bags because they have to override the extra piece. So you either have to argue with them if they are unfamiliar with ski rules, and/or you risk them throwing the book at you, opening up your equipment and saying hey "you have a pair of socks in this boot bag, no free bag for you!". Some airlines also have rules that state a ski bag can only have 1 pair but not United.

I have never heard of anyone getting the book thrown at them for just attempting to send a ski bag under 50 pounds with some clothes padding in it, but you are 100% correct.

For sure it's less risky than attempting to send skis with a boot bag with clothes in it (which is probably what most do and get away with).

Last edited by quendin; Jan 8, 2021 at 1:48 pm
Old Jan 8, 2021, 1:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Wow- I hope not. The clothes are more there to protect my bindings and less to circumvent policies hah. I guess you are right though, their rule states you can only have ski equipment in either bag. ....
Best not to mention you have put clothes in the ski bag, similiar discussion in Consolidated: Traveling with Golf Bags on United
Old Jan 8, 2021, 6:54 pm
st3

Programs: United MP
Can skis fit in the cargo hold of an E145 (or CR2)?

I have a ski trip planned in February and when UA loaded the Feb schedule last weekend there was an equipment downgrade (E175 to E145). I am concerned that my skis might not fit in the cargo hold. Looking at other available routings, the 2nd (and last) leg of the journey is on either an E145 (via IAH) or CR2 (via DEN). Destination airport is ABQ if that matters. Looking at various flight times there doesn't appear to be any mainline service, just UX and only one is on the E175 (no, the flight times don't work for that one.)

I was on a flight last year (DEN-FCA) with a group of about 20 other travelers and our skis did not make it into the CR2, UA put them on a later flight which was an A320. I don't know if they did this because there was just too much luggage or if because they just literally don't fit?

Any insight is appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.