Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAL362 - why LAX stop?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2024, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

UAL362 - why LAX stop?

I noticed that UAL362 (HNL-EWR) has a planned stop in LAX on today's flight. Anybody know the reason for this? I'd think that the 764 would have the legs for the entire trip, especially eastbound, so something else must be up?
Old Mar 4, 2024, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Missing a pilot? 2 good to LAX, but 3 needed to EWR. Not sure how a LAX stop helps there - I don't think LAX hosts a 767 pilot base. Maybe something else?
Old Mar 4, 2024, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Missing a pilot? 2 good to LAX, but 3 needed to EWR. Not sure how a LAX stop helps there - I don't think LAX hosts a 767 pilot base. Maybe something else?
LAX has a 757/767 base, if I recall correctly.
SPN Lifer and IAH-OIL-TRASH like this.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
One of the pilots had a hankering for an In-N-Out burger.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
There is a diversion status for the LAX-EWR leg, so not sure if the stop was planned ahead of time.

Someone's getting a quick delivery of In-N-Out at the gate, or maybe someone on the plane needs to be relieved?

Old Mar 4, 2024, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Destination airport was changed to LAX around 70 minutes before scheduled departure. No idea why, but it's not as a result of something that happened during flight.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 1:09 am

Planned in-n-out stop filed with ATC before takeoff
Old Mar 5, 2024, 8:36 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
I don't know any of the specifics of this flight but it fits with the requirements of a re-crew.

This kind of stop will be used when one of the pilots on an augmented crew gets sick while on a layover. The remaining pilots can not fly for as long of a duty day or flight time so they have to stop short for a re-crew. They'll usually layover at the stop then deadhead home the next day.

Due to the long-haul nature of these operations, there is often time to get the replacement crew notified and in position to continue the trip when it arrives. In this case, LAX is a 756 base so LAX pilots could have been assigned. If the stop isn't at a crew base, they may still have time to reposition the crews. For example, they could have deadheaded two pilots from the SFO base to LAX who then continued the flight. They can also pull a crew from another flight, likely a later departure, to give them more time to get the replacements into position and rested, if needed.

There can also be issues which limit the range of a long-haul airplane requiring an extra stop. That extra stop may them require a re-crew depending on the specifics of the trip. This could also be known prior to departure if it is a deferred maintenance item from the airplane's outbound leg.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Super weird one today ...

UA2400 BOS-SFO pre-planned stop in ORD ... for fuel
Old Mar 5, 2024, 5:40 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by cfischer

I think the SFO ground delay program was going to cause the crew to time out so they changed it to ORD where they could re-crew and re-fuel.
choch345 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by LarryJ
I think the SFO ground delay program was going to cause the crew to time out so they changed it to ORD where they could re-crew and re-fuel.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA MM
Can an A320 do westbound BOS-SFO reliably, especially when SFO is prone to arrival delays now?
Old Mar 5, 2024, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer

No In-N-Outs in Chicago; must have been a stop for White Castle.
SFO_LOW_CLOUDS and CJ99 like this.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
No In-N-Outs in Chicago; must have been a stop for White Castle.
Portillo’s*
TallTexan, CJ99, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Very strange to see an A320 show up on BOS-SFO in the first place. Agree it doesn't have the legs to fly nonstop potentially with strong headwinds and/or holding prior to landing in SFO. Looks like it was just a one-off sub from the usual 752 though.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.