Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Account Hacked / Reports of Fraudulent Award Travel Redemption

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 29, 2014, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This thread to follow reports of MP accounts that actually have been hacked / improperly accessed. If you have missing miles and beleive you have been hacked, contact [email protected]

In Suspended MP Accounts / Third Party Vendor "Security Breach?" - Dec 2014 there is discussion of a security breach of a 3rd party that UA seems to believe may lead to inappropriate access to UA accounts via the username method of logging into united.com. Let's follow the breach and log-in changes in the above thread.

A separate(?) "access denied" issue is covered in Consolidated " Is united.com or parts of it Down?" thread
Print Wikipost

UA Account Hacked / Reports of Fraudulent Award Travel Redemption

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2015, 5:57 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
The filing of the police report is not necessarily because they expect the police to investigate. There are likely multiple reasons..but one is that it can cut down on fraudulent theft reports to United. Calling UA and saying miles were stolen (when they may not have been..and asking for a credit) might be a morally ambivalent thing for some people to do. But calling the police and filing a police report makes it more serious...and some people may re think their decision to file the claim.

I used to work for a credit card company and there were times we would require a police report for this very reason.. we didn't do it every time. There are other reasons as well.

I can't speak for UA's motives, and I'm not suggesting your report is not above board. But if they want a police report..call or visit a nearby station and file one. They are very easy to file, and your local police will provide you with a report number.

As for TSA Pre... why would your wife not be able to use it? If she has a known traveler number she most certainly can..doesn't make any difference if her account is locked or not. If her KTN is on the reservation she will get Pre.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
I can't speak for UA's motives, and I'm not suggesting your report is not above board. But if they want a police report..call or visit a nearby station and file one. They are very easy to file, and your local police will provide you with a report number.
Ya, not a issue of UA's motives. In this case, she has to do it, and been very busy with travel. Never done it before, so a little bit of reluctance abt that too. Just unclear what UA wants resolved before opening it back.

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
As for TSA Pre... why would your wife not be able to use it? If she has a known traveler number she most certainly can..doesn't make any difference if her account is locked or not. If her KTN is on the reservation she will get Pre.
Not since the account lock, and she has had multiple trips. No Pre since then (and almost always before that, from from Global Entry). But, the reservations still show the elite status, so kind of odd...
Old Oct 18, 2015, 7:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. UA is calling your wife's bluff. If she is a fraudster, she won't report it to the police and risk criminal prosecution. It separates the wheat from the chaff.

2. You haven't been clear, but it sounds to me as though your wife doesn't have TSA Pre-check, but was relying on the old pilot program which was generally offered to people with status on a carrier. If that is the case, TSA announced over a year ago that it was being phased out. If your wife doesn't have a Known Traveler Number (KTN) through one of the Trusted Traveler Programs, she won't likely be getting Pre-Check anymore. She can enroll in Global Entry or TSA Pre-Check, pay the fee and likely be off and running in a few weeks.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
1. UA is calling your wife's bluff. If she is a fraudster, she won't report it to the police and risk criminal prosecution. It separates the wheat from the chaff.

2. You haven't been clear, but it sounds to me as though your wife doesn't have TSA Pre-check, but was relying on the old pilot program which was generally offered to people with status on a carrier. If that is the case, TSA announced over a year ago that it was being phased out. If your wife doesn't have a Known Traveler Number (KTN) through one of the Trusted Traveler Programs, she won't likely be getting Pre-Check anymore. She can enroll in Global Entry or TSA Pre-Check, pay the fee and likely be off and running in a few weeks.
1. Possible. But i have only so much ability to get the wife to file the report quickly (delay probably does not help the case, but she has been traveling a lot - on UA, so that should help). Doubt if i can do it on her behalf.

2. She has global entry and the # is in her profile.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 7:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by IaLTO
1. Possible. But i have only so much ability to get the wife to file the report quickly (delay probably does not help the case, but she has been traveling a lot - on UA, so that should help). Doubt if i can do it on her behalf.

2. She has global entry and the # is in her profile.
Unlikely that any police dept. will take a 3rd person report. But, seriously, this ought to take 10 minutes. The cops aren't going to do anything other than take a perfunctory report and issue an incident # which she can give to UA.

For what it's worth, she not you, needs to be dealing with UA. Look at it from their perspective. It's odd that in a suspicious situation, the account holder herself isn't doing the talking.

As to GE, if her account is locked, just enter the KTN in each reservation. You can have a KTN and not even be a member of MP. It's a bit of a pain, but it takes <30 seconds to do this. A lot more time saved than sitting in the kettle line at the checkpoint.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by IaLTO
...i have only so much ability to get the wife to file the report quickly (delay probably does not help the case, but she has been traveling a lot - on UA, so that should help...
It's her account. If she wants to deal with it, she will. If not - her loss. "Account hacking" is an excuse UA probably hears pretty often when someone is caught violating the program rules. Not too many people would risk filing a police false report, so such a report being filed by your wife ought to help with UA.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA, AS
There is a loooong thread of a similar experience someone had in the AA forum. You'll get some insights as to the process from it.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...tolen-etc.html
Old Dec 22, 2015, 3:47 pm

Programs: Any program with a credit card, or good prices.
I had a 35k award issues on my account on Sunday that I did not make. Found only because I randomly logged into my account the on Monday. I emailed the provided email address on Monday and the same day someone responded stating the award was canceled and the miles were re-deposited. Great service, thanks for posting the email in the wiki header...
Old Jan 4, 2016, 8:41 am

Programs: Any program with a credit card, or good prices.
Originally Posted by iolairemcfadden
I had a 35k award issues on my account on Sunday that I did not make. Found only because I randomly logged into my account the on Monday. I emailed the provided email address on Monday and the same day someone responded stating the award was canceled and the miles were re-deposited. Great service, thanks for posting the email in the wiki header...
FYI when this fraud occurred they changed my email address from [email protected] to [email protected]... I did not notice it, but it was a good way to keep me from getting confirmations. I did notice it today because I made a booking last weekend and did not receive the confirmations... It even had that bad email address when I booked and I did not notice the change.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
After 1 1/2 year hiatus from flying United/Continental, logged into my account today and found a very unpleasant surprise-- someone hacked my account and swiped 265,000 miles out of it in January, 2015.

Called MP customer service and gave me the name of the passenger and described a routing that had been flown from Latin America to India, and then back again 5 months later. Pax surname was neither Hispanic nor Indian.

Was directed to email UA corporate security, which I did... at the same time I offered to fully cooperate in any investigation, etc.

What surprised me is that I never received an email confirming the details of the booking. Seems even if they change the email in my profile, then changed it back that I would have received a notice at the old email address notifying me of the change.

Irritated and baffled.
Old May 1, 2016, 1:45 pm

So... I received a boiler plate acknowledgment on April 16 that my e-mail had been received and that I would be contacted within 7 - 10 days. That hasn't happened.

Any thoughts as to what I should do now? Am really not pleased that my account was looted.
Old May 2, 2016, 8:35 am

Programs: UA Plat (1MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC
File a police report with your local police. That's the standard tactic for identity theft of any degree. UA may take it more serious if you have it documented with law enforcement.
Old May 2, 2016, 11:24 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by HKG_Flyer1
What surprised me is that I never received an email confirming the details of the booking.
Pretty sure you can change email recipient at time of purchase without changing default email recipient. In which case you would not receive an email.
Old May 5, 2016, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Pretty sure you can change email recipient at time of purchase without changing default email recipient. In which case you would not receive an email.
Whoa... that seems like a MAJOR security flaw.

In any case, still no contact from UA security... doing some cursory online research, I see that UA reported a breech of their Mileage Plus system shortly before my miles were stolen.

Will file police report this week.
Old May 5, 2016, 12:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by HKG_Flyer1
... I see that UA reported a breech of their Mileage Plus system shortly before my miles were stolen. ...
per se it wasn't a UA breech
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ec-2014-a.html
People using the same credentials on the 3th party and UA were hacked because the 3th party was breached.

This has led to changes on UA.com -- disabling username access and later http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ty-update.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.