Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Account Hacked / Reports of Fraudulent Award Travel Redemption

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 29, 2014, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This thread to follow reports of MP accounts that actually have been hacked / improperly accessed. If you have missing miles and beleive you have been hacked, contact [email protected]

In Suspended MP Accounts / Third Party Vendor "Security Breach?" - Dec 2014 there is discussion of a security breach of a 3rd party that UA seems to believe may lead to inappropriate access to UA accounts via the username method of logging into united.com. Let's follow the breach and log-in changes in the above thread.

A separate(?) "access denied" issue is covered in Consolidated " Is united.com or parts of it Down?" thread
Print Wikipost

UA Account Hacked / Reports of Fraudulent Award Travel Redemption

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2014, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
100% but you will probably be required to sign a fraud declaration and / or police report.
Police report? I have never heard of anyone having to file a police report for unauthorized activity on a loyalty account. Heck for a CC fraud no police report is needed. I cleared up 15k worth of fraudulent charges in Brazil by signing a unauthorized charges / fraud declaration with Chase last summer and it was done in less than a week without any further involvement. I doubt needing to get the police involved for this will be needed, but I guess we shall await feedback.

To pay the taxes did they use your CC? If so you will file a fraudulent charge claim I'm sure.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
Originally Posted by schley
To pay the taxes did they use your CC? If so you will file a fraudulent charge claim I'm sure.
Changed my password first thing - even before I picked up the phone to call them.

But what taxes would be charged for donated miles?? Checked my cc, and no pending charges appear. If there is some kind of tax due for this sort of transaction, finding out how it WAS paid may give a pretty good indication of how this happened.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Darlox
Changed my password first thing - even before I picked up the phone to call them.

But what taxes would be charged for donated miles?? Checked my cc, and no pending charges appear. If there is some kind of tax due for this sort of transaction, finding out how it WAS paid may give a pretty good indication of how this happened.
I thought they were used to book an award itinerary which would have had taxes. I didn't realize it was a donation or forced donation.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:45 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by schley
I thought they were used to book an award itinerary which would have had taxes. I didn't realize it was a donation or forced donation.
See the OP. That's what makes this one so, so, so odd.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
Closing the loop on this one, for anyone who's interested.

Got a very generic "here's your miles back" letter from a MP Service Director. No explanation, no apology - just literally one line.

So I called in. Got a lovely agent who pulled up the account, confirmed that my miles had been re-credited, and looked at the case that had been filed.

I had filed a credit request some weeks back for a (no relation to the current problems) Air China segment that I flew while in Asia. Turns out that an agent "in the same center" as the agent who corrected that situation deducted the miles on the same day that they corrected my credit posting. Almost certainly the same person. Seems to be simple human error where they must have been trying to do something else, but still had my account open on their screen, instead of whomever they were supposed to be working with.

All's well that ends well, but yet another instance of a lack of attention to detail in this organization.
Old May 27, 2014, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott
MileagePlus Account fraud

Today (5/27) I found out someone use my MP account to purchase a standard award flight on UA from KSA-HNL on 5/26 and already completed the trip on 5/26.

UA agent claim it was my fault to gave away my login and password which I didn't obviously. I have never received an award redemption receipt from nor notified by UA of this award redemption. I have the passenger name and last four of his/her visa card, what are my recourse to have UA investigate this issue and possibly file charges against this person?

If I were to file a police report, should I file in my home state or call HNL airport police?
Old May 27, 2014, 12:32 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D201 Safari/9537.53)

For UA to blame the victim here seems just a tad outrageous.
Old May 27, 2014, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Are you indicating someone booked and flew KSA to HNL the same day?

Why would you get a receipt or notification, if the person had your info and could easily move that notification e-mail to themselves? Not sure what you're implying there.

You have no recourse for UA to do anything against the person - UA suffered no harm. It's not like a credit card company where you can dispute the redemption.

I also don't see what the airline police in HNL have to do with it. Fraud should be reported locally.
Old May 27, 2014, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by demkr
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D201 Safari/9537.53)

For UA to blame the victim here seems just a tad outrageous.
Without listening to the conversation, it's only hearsay that UA "blamed" anyone.
Old May 27, 2014, 12:35 pm
Suspended

OP: are you based in China?
Old May 27, 2014, 12:37 pm

I spend half of my time here in Bos, I wonder if I should I file an report with BPD.

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
OP: are you based in China?
Old May 27, 2014, 12:39 pm

Yes, someone booked and flew the same day. UA will obviously have this persons full info, but they claim he/she must have my access to book the ticket.

I am actually surprised how little UA was willing to help consider my status with them.

Originally Posted by aacharya
Are you indicating someone booked and flew KSA to HNL the same day?

Why would you get a receipt or notification, if the person had your info and could easily move that notification e-mail to themselves? Not sure what you're implying there.

You have no recourse for UA to do anything against the person - UA suffered no harm. It's not like a credit card company where you can dispute the redemption.

I also don't see what the airline police in HNL have to do with it. Fraud should be reported locally.
Old May 27, 2014, 12:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by shengwan
I spend half of my time here in Bos, I wonder if I should I file an report with BPD.
I asked because there is an entire thread of award flight fraud most likely originating from China.
Old May 27, 2014, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shengwan
Yes, someone booked and flew the same day. UA will obviously have this persons full info, but they claim he/she must have my access to book the ticket.
All UA would have is a name, e-mail address and passport (maybe).

No full physical or mailing address is needed for award redemption. Even if they did somehow have it, they're not giving it to you.

I am not defending UA at all, but you need to know what UA has/doesn't have and not make assumptions.

If you're done with contacting MPSC, call the police. (Personally, I'd call UA back, start with fraud, and force them to do something - many ways of making agents do more).
Old May 27, 2014, 12:46 pm

I suppose UA must have this persons ID when checking in? This is on UA metal btw.

Originally Posted by aacharya
All UA would have is a name, e-mail address and passport.

No full physical or mailing address is needed for award redemption. Even if they did somehow have it, they're not giving it to you.

I am not defending UA at all, but you need to know what UA has/doesn't have and not make assumptions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.