Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Account Hacked / Reports of Fraudulent Award Travel Redemption

UA Account Hacked / Reports of Fraudulent Award Travel Redemption

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 8, 18, 6:59 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
This thread to follow reports of MP accounts that actually have been hacked / improperly accessed. If you have missing miles and beleive you have been hacked, contact [email protected]

In Suspended MP Accounts / Third Party Vendor "Security Breach?" - Dec 2014 there is discussion of a security breach of a 3rd party that UA seems to believe may lead to inappropriate access to UA accounts via the username method of logging into united.com. Let's follow the breach and log-in changes in the above thread.

A separate(?) "access denied" issue is covered in Consolidated " Is united.com or parts of it Down?" thread
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 5, 18, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by JohnneeO View Post
MileagePlus proactively protected my account against fraud yesterday. Unbeknownst to me, my MP account had been hacked, and drained of its miles to purchase gift cards to be delivered to the hackers via email. MP reversed the transactions, redeposited the miles, blocked online access to my MP account, and contacted me.

I had to contact MP in order to reset my PW. After logging back in, I reset my security questions. On my account activity, I could see the fraudulent transactions, and the reversals.

I can't claim that UA is protecting their best customers here. While I am a MPE CC holder, I haven't been elite since the last day of CO on 2/28/2012, and only fly once or twice a year. My mileage balance has been in the low 6 figures, but other than that I am as ordinary of a Joe as there is.
this is how it should be.
Old Oct 5, 18, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, QFF Platinum, HH Diamond, HawaiianMiles
Glad to hear they're watching!