Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Account Hacked / Reports of Fraudulent Award Travel Redemption

UA Account Hacked / Reports of Fraudulent Award Travel Redemption

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 8, 18, 6:59 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
This thread to follow reports of MP accounts that actually have been hacked / improperly accessed. If you have missing miles and beleive you have been hacked, contact [email protected]

In Suspended MP Accounts / Third Party Vendor "Security Breach?" - Dec 2014 there is discussion of a security breach of a 3rd party that UA seems to believe may lead to inappropriate access to UA accounts via the username method of logging into united.com. Let's follow the breach and log-in changes in the above thread.

A separate(?) "access denied" issue is covered in Consolidated " Is united.com or parts of it Down?" thread
Print Wikipost

Old May 5, 16, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL PLT; EK SLV; VX GLD; HHonors DIAM; SPG Platinum
Thanks for the insight, WineCountryUA... very interesting.

Still, trying to figure out why they wouldn't be confirming account changes/activity with the email address on-file. Hasn't that been standard protocol for frequent traveler accounts for years?
Old May 5, 16, 1:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.8MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by HKG_Flyer1 View Post

Still, trying to figure out why they wouldn't be confirming account changes/activity with the email address on-file. Hasn't that been standard protocol for frequent traveler accounts for years?
Account changes usually, making bookings not necessarily. I think you will find will most airlines the booking email change be changed at booking (not a permanent change, just for that booking).
Old May 5, 16, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL PLT; EK SLV; VX GLD; HHonors DIAM; SPG Platinum
Interesting... I have been the subject of two other FF account attempted hackings over the years, and both times the theft was caught because I was automatically notified via email of account activity taking place and was able to immediately intercede.
Old May 5, 16, 5:21 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by EmailKid View Post
Pretty sure you can change email recipient at time of purchase without changing default email recipient. In which case you would not receive an email.
Originally Posted by HKG_Flyer1 View Post

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Account changes usually, making bookings not necessarily. I think you will find will most airlines the booking email change be changed at booking (not a permanent change, just for that booking).
OK, since I've been corrected by Wine due to (my) faulty memery before, went to check, and indeed, while my UA default emall is a Yahoo account, for my last trip on UA in February went ONLY to my Google account because that's what I typed in the TO: field.
Old Feb 2, 17, 2:54 pm

Merged account

I am trying to login to my account but it seems like everything was transferred/merged with another account and agent do not giving me any information about it. Help!
Old Feb 2, 17, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by igorros2000 View Post
I am trying to login to my account but it seems like everything was transferred/merged with another account and agent do not giving me any information about it. Help!
I'm not sure what advice you can expect here. You'll have to deal with Mileage Plus Service Center.
Old Feb 3, 17, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
send an Email to the address in the wiki.
Old Feb 3, 17, 5:46 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver
Call United. Don't email. Call, right away.
Old Feb 3, 17, 6:18 pm

If you call, they should be able to tell you what account it was merged with. It may be accidental if you have a common name
Old Sep 8, 18, 2:27 pm

Unhappy my MileagePlus acct was hacked - any ideas how, and what to do?

I've just discovered that about 2 weeks ago nearly all of my miles were redeemed for Walmart (20k+) and Starbucks GC's. I'm trying to figure out how that could have happened. My other airline accounts haven't been touched. No one else has access to my computer. I've got different passwords for each account. Can anyone tell me how this could have happened? and what are the chances of getting those miles back? I assume that the hacker has already cashed in the cards for Walmart etc. merchandise. I called UA and emailed [email protected] and am waiting for response from the Security people. I've changed all my passwords.
Has anyone else had a problem with UA MileagePlus? Also wondering if the hacker could have gotten in through AwardWallet....
Old Sep 8, 18, 2:31 pm

Programs: 1K, *G, 1MM
Oh jubujoy I am so sorry to read your post.

I am surprised that United does not send an e-mail when points are redeemed - to me it is one of the many failings in their IT system.

These days United no longer posts the itinerary to your account when your miles are used (recent change) - another failing in my mind. Not that this issue would have helped in your particular circumstance.

Good luck and I hope the points get reinstated.
Old Sep 8, 18, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle View Post
I am surprised that United does not send an e-mail when points are redeemed - to me it is one of the many failings in their IT system.
I would question the value of that email. When my Hilton account got hacked and points drained, the hackers also changed the email address on my account.
Old Sep 8, 18, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, AC, AA, DL, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by davie355 View Post
I would question the value of that email. When my Hilton account got hacked and points drained, the hackers also changed the email address on my account.
but UA does, IME, send out an email to confirm change of info. to the old address with a change.

Sorry, OP. Call MP and let them know what happened - I believe they will get you in touch with the account security folks who can help you.
Old Sep 8, 18, 3:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.8MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by jubujoy View Post
my MileagePlus acct was hacked - any ideas how, and what to do?

I called UA and emailed [email protected] and am waiting for response from the Security people. I've changed all my passwords.
Has anyone else had a problem with UA MileagePlus? Also wondering if the hacker could have gotten in through AwardWallet....
You have contracted the right folks at UA.
Check to make sure your account profile has not been modified, especially email and phone information,

However your account was hacked, somehow they got your credentials -- how long since you had previously changed them? Who else had you shared them with, like AwardWallet. Whoever had the info previous should also be notified. Third parties had been a problem in the past.

Merged your posting in a previous series of discussions, so it may be helpful to read the past incidents.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 8, 18 at 4:48 pm Reason: grammar
Old Oct 5, 18, 11:13 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
MileagePlus proactively protected my account against fraud yesterday. Unbeknownst to me, my MP account had been hacked, and drained of its miles to purchase gift cards to be delivered to the hackers via email. MP reversed the transactions, redeposited the miles, blocked online access to my MP account, and contacted me.

I had to contact MP in order to reset my PW. After logging back in, I reset my security questions. On my account activity, I could see the fraudulent transactions, and the reversals.

I can't claim that UA is protecting their best customers here. While I am a MPE CC holder, I haven't been elite since the last day of CO on 2/28/2012, and only fly once or twice a year. My mileage balance has been in the low 6 figures, but other than that I am as ordinary of a Joe as there is.
cfischer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 5, 18 at 11:19 am Reason: moved to appropriate thread

Search this Thread