Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Glitch caused a change to my traveler profile?

Old Jan 4, 2014, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75k, OW Emerald, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, National EE

Well, it might not be a glitch, but I thought I'd mention it in case it was. Today as I was booking an award ticket on the website, I noticed that my birthdate showed as 3/28/XXXX, when my birthdate actually is 3/31/XXXX. It was immediately obvious - I almost always peruse the confirmation page to ensure that all my details are correct, and identifying your own birthdate is pretty easy. I'd accept that I missed it on the last couple of tickets I booked, but over the past 2 years I've booked somewhere around 30-40 tickets. I'm confident that I haven't missed it that many times.

The weird thing is that you can't just change this piece of info on your profile -- it requires verification. I called in to be sure, and in the end I just submitted a scan of my driver's license. I'm sure my situation will be taken care of, but since I'm not sure why this happened, I thought I'd share in case anyone else has seen this, or has overlooked it. Because of the confirmation required, I'm confident that I didn't make this change accidentally. I'm guessing it's a glitch, and I'm hoping I'm the only one impacted by this, but it can't hurt to check.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 4:13 pm

Programs: CX Gold
DOB miraculously changes by one date?

I was pretty shocked by this. I've been flying with United for a long time, and stored my DOB in my MP profile long ago. However, when I check today, I saw that my DOB in the MP profile was moved one day earlier (like from 8/12/1988 to 8/11/1988). Anyone knows why?
Old Jan 11, 2014, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
I was pretty shocked by this. I've been flying with United for a long time, and stored my DOB in my MP profile long ago. However, when I check today, I saw that my DOB in the MP profile was moved one day earlier (like from 8/12/1988 to 8/11/1988). Anyone knows why?
Noticed same thing yesterday when trying to book a ticket...my birth date was a day earlier than it should have been.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA DULtArer
Correct it obviously, but I wouldn't sweat it too much for domestic flying at least. Once TSA establishes who you are via paSsport or other secure documentation you can fly.

Might be worth a call to UA to see if they can change your data on any flights booked.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
UA is always right. How do you know your parents did not lie to you about your birthdate?
Old Jan 11, 2014, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
IME, the mobile app does this, and united.com does not.

I've traveled successfully even with UA aging me a day.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 7:04 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
I'd report it as a bug on the app...
Old Jan 11, 2014, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
A UA IT bug? Never...
Old Jan 11, 2014, 8:09 pm

Probably something to do with time zones and how your birthday is stored in their system.

If your birthday is stored as an exact time (i.e. Jan. 1 1980 12:00 AM UTC) in United's system, the app might be stupid enough to convert that into local time (Dec. 31 1979 4:00 PM PST) and display an incorrect date.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA/AS/UA; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by sincx
Probably something to do with time zones and how your birthday is stored in their system.

If your birthday is stored as an exact time (i.e. Jan. 1 1980 12:00 AM UTC) in United's system, the app might be stupid enough to convert that into local time (Dec. 31 1979 4:00 PM PST) and display an incorrect date.
+1. Excel also has a nasty habit of doing this occasionally.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 8:57 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus: Platinum; Enterprise Plus: Silver
My DOB is OK. I doubt they store DOB date as timestamp - a person who would do this should be fired for inflating the size of the DB. I would rather guess that the data got transfered from one database to another, with date coding (date is actually a number that is converted into date) as D1=D+1.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...r-profile.html

In the above case the glitch was three days. Curious.

And yes, I just checked my united.com profile, and it too has me as a day older.

Edit: a few days after reporting this, and uploading an image of photo ID, it is correct.

I think what triggered this is using the app to book award tix. I have noticed since May of 2013 that it was using the day prior to my actual dob, but united.com had the correct DoB.

In the future, when using the app, if I see it loading the wrong DoB, I will create a companion profile with my name and no FF number, and use that instead.

Last edited by mre5765; Jan 20, 2014 at 5:03 pm
Old Jan 20, 2014, 3:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Mysterious change of Birthday on MP Profile?

So I was just booking some tickets and noticed that my bday in my MP profile changed by 1 day? I called and they fixed it, but it was really strange, seeing that it was one day I'm assuming some sort of computer glitch? Anybody else have this happen??
Old Jan 20, 2014, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75k, OW Emerald, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, National EE
Mysterious change of Birthday on MP Profile?

I'm on my mobile device, so I can't easily reference it, but there's another thread about this. The same issue has affected me and a few others. A question, though - did they just fix it over the phone? Or did you have to fax or submit proof? They made me do that. If they're not requiring it now, perhaps they realize that many of us are affected.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 4:51 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by SF1K
So I was just booking some tickets and noticed that my bday in my MP profile changed by 1 day? I called and they fixed it, but it was really strange, seeing that it was one day I'm assuming some sort of computer glitch? Anybody else have this happen??
Me too! My birthday was changed to one day earlier than it should have been. Guess something bad happened to United computer systems?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.