Is United serious about FAI this year?

Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:23 pm
QBK
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Is United serious about FAI this year?

I'm curious if any of y'all have any theories about what's going on with United's service to Fairbanks, AK. United started seasonal DEN-FAI two summers ago, and added ORD-FAI last year. Which made me very happy because I generally have to book multiple tickets to FAI each summer.

But this year, the FAI service has gone wonky. DEN-FAI is down to 2/week (Wed/Sat). No fare class below W for DEN-FAI or V for ORD-FAI. No award availability whatsoever on either route (not even standard awards -- HN=0). Fares aren't remotely competitive -- both DEN-FAI and ORD-FAI are $1000+ r/t. Connecting fares are slightly better ($800+), but still way out of line with the competition ($350-700 out of most major airports).

I could sort of understand if this was a business market with lots of close-in bookings, but it's the polar opposite. People usually book Alaska trips 4-12 months in advance, and DEN-FAI might be the single least elite-heavy route in the system (I never saw F go out full once last year).

Everything seems to suggest that UA doesn't want to sell seats on these routes, and checking the seatmaps suggests that, indeed, they aren't. I saw a couple of days in June with less than 3 seats booked in a whole 738.

So what gives? My best explanation is that they're expecting to cut the service ( ), and expecting to reroute the few pax that did book on OAL. Either that or somebody in revenue management is asleep at the wheel. Any other theories?
Old Jan 3, 2014, 9:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by QBK
....(not even standard awards -- HN=0). ...
For elites Standard awards should be available if Y>0. HN is only for non-elites.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 10:04 pm
QBK
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
For elites Standard awards should be available if Y>0. HN is only for non-elites.
Agreed, and they are. I wasn't trying to say that I want to book a standard award and can't -- just that zeroing out HN space under these circumstances strikes me as remarkable. Additionally, while elites can see award space on specific days, the award calendar (or "flexible dates") is completely nonfunctional for FAI flights.

It all seems to indicate that UA is aggressively discouraging pax from booking these flights, which is interesting.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 10:51 pm
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
My guess? United is not "FAI Friendly"
Old Jan 4, 2014, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Scottrick
My guess? United is not "FAI Friendly"
Or perhaps the skies aren't friendly enough north of Denali .
Old Jan 4, 2014, 10:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, PC RA, HH Gold
Very interested. I take flights to FAI 2-3 times a year, would like it if UA gets serious on flights here but I understand the volume of PAX flying there is pretty low.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 12:14 pm

I wonder of FAI award availability will open up on Feb 1 when the price increases from 25000 to 35000 miles with the new award chart?
Old Jan 5, 2014, 9:40 am
QBK
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rickscholz
I wonder of FAI award availability will open up on Feb 1 when the price increases from 25000 to 35000 miles with the new award chart?
I was wondering that too. It would be terribly cynical of them, but I wouldn't be very surprised.

However, the revenue fare class situation (no deep discount fares available, very uncompetitive pricing) suggests to me that this isn't just an award issue -- and therefore that Feb. 1 won't bring any sudden changes.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 9:35 pm
QBK
Original Poster

Followup: I checked today, and IM has started to relax on the FAI flights, opening up some deep discount and award buckets. Still not very competitive across the board, but it looks like they're just not paying much attention, rather than toying with cancellation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.