Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2014, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
MM roll call thread: UA Million Miler/Multi-Million Miler Roll Call Thread

UA offers a way to earn status based on accumulative (lifetime) flight.
Lifetime Premier status

The Million Miler program grants lifetime Premier status to all qualifying members, even if they fly less in the future. Lifetime miles are earned based on the flight distance of United- and United Express®-operated flights. Basic Economy tickets do not earn lifetime flight miles.
(How are "lifetime miles" calculated for MileagePlus?)
Here are the status benefits of the Million Miler program:

You can earn (the old fashioned way, same thresholds) higher status, but with MMers status, you will never fall below the MMer status level.
Annual companion Premier status

As a Million Miler, you may invite your spouse or significant other to share your current Premier status. This membership is nontransferable and will automatically renew each year unless you let us know otherwise.

See companion eligibility terms and conditions at the bottom of this page for more details.

To select or review your companion or to change your companion for the next calendar year, visit united.com/MMcompanion.
Frequently Asked Questions

Do I get a "permanent / lifetime" card?

No, you get an annual card, as everyone else does. It will have an MM insignia. A permanent card would not make sense because you may earn a higher status than your MMer status.

Do I need to do anything to maintain MMer status? Recent flights? 4 segments? some PQMs or PQDs

No, you need to do nothing.

Will 2MM flyers receive 2 RPUs annually?

Yes: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21007782-post85.html :

Originally Posted by UA Insider

All 3 Million Milers will receive 6 GPUs at the beginning of 2015, unless they were already earned through the published criteria.
Similarly, 2 Million Milers will receive 2 RPUs at the beginning of 2015, unless already earned by the published criteria.
Will 3MM flyers receive 6 GPUs annually?

Yes. See above.

Since a 3MM flyer is also a 2MM flyer, will 3MM flyers also receive 2 RPUs annually?

According to an email exchange on 1/15/2014 with 1Kvoice as a 3MM LT 1K one should see 6 GPUs and 2 RPUs by end of January if one didn't fly the miles last year. Those xPUs in fact deposited 1/16/2014.

Pre-merger United 1MM flyers were promised two Confirmed Regional upgrades per year. Were they grandfathered into two RPUs per year?

No. And a class action suit claiming this was a breach of contract with pre-merger MM members was denied by a court, so this issue appears to be closed. For more: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...judgmt-ua.html

Pre-merger United 2MM flyers were promised a Red Carpet Club lounge membership for life. Will they be grandfathered into a lifetime United Club membership?

Yes, but they need to call the MileagePlus service center.

I was close to 2MM status before January 1, 2012, and was on a pace to reach 2MM BIS before January 1, 2013. Should I have received a lifetime membership?

Some have. Call the MileagePlus service center.

2 and 3 Million Miler Gift
Changed to RDM bonus in 2020

If I have Million Mile or Beyond status, do I have to fly 4 segments annually on UA/UX metal to keep my status?

Presently, no, for your earned MM status, nothing more is needed. However, if you want a higher elite status than one your Million Mile or Beyond status gives you, then you have to fly the 4 segments and credit to them to M+.

If I have Million Mile or Beyond status, do I have to earn PQDs to keep my status?

Presently, no, for your earned MM status, nothing more is needed. However, if you want a higher elite status than one your Million Mile or Beyond status gives you, then you have to earn the required PQDs for that status. Your Million Mile and Beyond status do not give you a jump start on PQDs, PQMs, or PQSes toward a higher elite status.

Million Mile Program FAQs

Terms and conditions for MileagePlus Million Miler companion benefit

FT thread: Million Miler companion benefit

Frequently Made Points (2012)
  • Many lifetime CO elites made gains with the new program:
    • Lifetime silvers become lifetime golds
    • Infinite elites became lifetime 1Ks
  • Many lifetime UA elites made gains with the new program:
    • The one-time adjustment to recalculate lifetime miles to be equal to lifetime PQM boosted most lifetime totals, and many people were elevated to the first or next tier of the MM program.
    • The companion program benefited most elites.
    • The addition of lifetime platinum to existing 2MMer grandfathered lifetime United Club membership was a benefit for all pre-existing 2MMers.
    • The replacement of lifetime United Club with platinum was a benefit for those people between 1MM and 2MM lifetime miles who valued a higher upgrade priority.
    • For people at or aiming toward 4MM, the introduction of lifetime GS at 4MM
    • Leather luggage tags
  • Many lifetime CO elites had losses with the new program:
    • Moving forward, PQMs do not count toward lifetime status.
  • Many lifetime UA elites had losses with the new program:
    • For 1MM and 2MM elites, the loss of 100% RDM bonus (reduced to 50% and 75% respectively)
    • For 1MM elites, the loss of two annual CR-1s (nka RPUs)
    • For people over 1MM but not "close enough" to 2MM, the loss of the opportunity to get lifetime United Club membership.
    • The loss of one-time gifts of extra SWUs (nka GPUs)
    • The inflation of membership numbers negating the significance of flying an actual one million BIS miles on UA metal, i.e. "Million Mile Flyers"
Related thread: Lifetime status by airline -- attempted summary
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2014, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
so why doesn't 3MM Lifetime 1K get 4RPUs? Annual qualification gets you 6GPUs and 4RPUs...
Beats me. It would seem that you should but that's apparently not what they are doing.

Originally Posted by sf4dfish
Since a 3MM flyer is also a 2MM flyer, will 3MM flyers also receive 2 RPUs annually?

According to an email exchange on 1/15/2014 with 1Kvoice as a 3MM LT 1K one should see 6 GPUs and 2 RPUs by end of January if one didn't fly the miles last year. Those xPUs in fact deposited 1/16/2014.

I am a 3 Million Miler and I haven't received 2 RPU's yet. Today, I called the 1K Mileage Plus line and inquired about the 2 RPU's?

I was told that as a 3 Million Miler, I am NOT entitled to receive them annually!
Think this is a HUACA situation. From what they told me and what they actually did you should get 6 GPUs and 2 RPUs if you didn't already earn them. From what I can tell if you had flown 75-100K last year you would already have already gotten the 2 RPUs and would only now see the 6 GPUs. Could that be your situation?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 17, 2014 at 7:08 pm Reason: merge
Old Jan 17, 2014, 9:23 pm

Programs: MP,MR Silver,Avis
Originally Posted by MrJBoy
OK, good.

Then "My MileagePlus account" shouldn't show "4 flight segment minimum: 0 of 4"...
It looks I still need to fly at least 4 segments.
You need to fly at least 4 segments to qualify for a higher status than your lifetime status.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 9:31 pm

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN
Question

Originally Posted by MrJBoy
OK, good.

Then "My MileagePlus account" shouldn't show "4 flight segment minimum: 0 of 4"...
It looks I still need to fly at least 4 segments.
I am confused too.

I have always believed that there was a 4 paid segment per year requirement to keep status and the (perks - as diminishing as they are becoming).

I was told in another post that I was mistaken.

Now on the website, the explanation box for this "requirement" indicates that 4 paid segments are required to "qualify for any premier level".

What does THAT mean?

If I don't fly the four segments in a year, I am a MMer, but with no status at all? What is the value in that?

What good is MM status - if the gold status is not a part of it?
Old Jan 17, 2014, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by pdx1M
Think this is a HUACA situation. From what they told me and what they actually did you should get 6 GPUs and 2 RPUs if you didn't already earn them. From what I can tell if you had flown 75-100K last year you would already have already gotten the 2 RPUs and would only now see the 6 GPUs. Could that be your situation?
I flew over a 150,000 miles last year and YES, I received 6 GPU's and 8 RPU's. The MP agent did say I ALREADY got what I had coming and I disagreed because, I earned ALL 8 RPU's by flying 150,000 miles! 2 for 75K, 2 for 100K, 2 for 125K & 2 for 150K.

I kind of understand what you are saying that if I did NOT fly 75,000 miles, then I would receive the 2 RPU's?
Old Jan 17, 2014, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sf4dfish
I flew over a 150,000 miles last year and YES, I received 6 GPU's and 8 RPU's. The MP agent did say I ALREADY got what I had coming and I disagreed because, I earned ALL 8 RPU's by flying 150,000 miles! 2 for 75K, 2 for 100K, 2 for 125K & 2 for 150K.

I kind of understand what you are saying that if I did NOT fly 75,000 miles, then I would receive the 2 RPU's?
You got it. It is a weird deal because what they do with 2MM or 3MM folks is essentially take away any incentive to actually fly with UA other than to use benefits - i.e., upgrade certs etc. As a 3MMer if I fly 0 miles I get 6 GPUs and 2 RPUs. If I fly 99.5K I get nothing more. If I fly 100K I get 2 more RPUs for the extra 25K over 75K. So essentially unless I need the benefits I'm just a good flying someone else. I actually described this to UA Insider when I first realized it and to the 1K and MP folks and all just shrugged it off as the way it worked. Now in my case, I have shifted my premium flying to other carriers because I am so disgusted with the service levels UA now has. However, if I were still happy with UA I would find this annoying. I suggested to them that they should create some incentive for lifetime Plats and 1Ks to continue flying UA but . . .
Old Jan 18, 2014, 12:37 am

Programs: UA1KMM SPGPLAT
You got it. It is a weird deal because what they do with 2MM or 3MM folks is essentially take away any incentive to actually fly with UA other than to use benefits - i.e., upgrade certs etc. As a 3MMer if I fly 0 miles I get 6 GPUs and 2 RPUs. If I fly 99.5K I get nothing more. If I fly 100K I get 2 more RPUs for the extra 25K over 75K. So essentially unless I need the benefits I'm just a good flying someone else. I actually described this to UA Insider when I first realized it and to the 1K and MP folks and all just shrugged it off as the way it worked. Now in my case, I have shifted my premium flying to other carriers because I am so disgusted with the service levels UA now has. However, if I were still happy with UA I would find this annoying. I suggested to them that they should create some incentive for lifetime Plats and 1Ks to continue flying UA but . . .
This situation seems to be true for 3MMers, but as a 2MMer, we have very little automatic benefits and there is a big difference in crossing the 100K threshhold in order to get the 6 GPU's.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 2:11 am

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Originally Posted by PushingTin
This stuff is cra-cra
You mean cray cray?

I have colleagues who don't have a clue and don't care. One CFO I know gives all his miles to his admin asst because he flies in First all the time. There's a lot who just don't care, which may seem odd to us - but to them, we have the horn coming out of our forehead. Imagine telling some of your colleagues you actually know and understand what the tail numbers mean...

Now, Monsieur PushingTin, that's cray cray...
Old Jan 18, 2014, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by Karl-MDW
I have always believed that there was a 4 paid segment per year requirement to keep status and the (perks - as diminishing as they are becoming).
A less confusing way for UA to state it would be: you need 4 segments to MAKE ststus. You've already MADE IT as a gold, which is why others have said you need the legs to move up FROM gold.
Now on the website, the explanation box for this "requirement" indicates that 4 paid segments are required to "qualify for any premier level".
Yes, that's right: to QUALIFY. You've already QUALIFIED for gold for life. You'd need 4 segments to QUALIFY for either plat or 1K. As well as PQD.

Dave
Old Jan 18, 2014, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Since they think the lifetime folks are already over-entitled as is, of course they don't want to give you "double upgrades" with the earned ones in addition to the annual ones.

Personally, if I was in your case (as you seem to be doing) I'd only ever fly UA if I could confirm R space at booking using said instruments. Not worth gambling or waiting for CPU esp. if you're hitting 100K on another carrier.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 7:55 am

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN
Originally Posted by bseller
A less confusing way for UA to state it would be: you need 4 segments to MAKE ststus. You've already MADE IT as a gold, which is why others have said you need the legs to move up FROM gold.

Yes, that's right: to QUALIFY. You've already QUALIFIED for gold for life. You'd need 4 segments to QUALIFY for either plat or 1K. As well as PQD.

Dave
OK. But flying only 4 segments will not move me up from Gold to Platinum. Shouldn't the site instead tell me exactly what I need to do to reach the next level?

So this all seems to be ridiculous and confusing.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 8:52 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
You mean cray cray?

I have colleagues who don't have a clue and don't care. One CFO I know gives all his miles to his admin asst because he flies in First all the time. There's a lot who just don't care, which may seem odd to us - but to them, we have the horn coming out of our forehead. Imagine telling some of your colleagues you actually know and understand what the tail numbers mean...

Now, Monsieur PushingTin, that's cray cray...
If all you do is fly paid in the highest cabin 100% of the time, then miles and upgrades are meaningless to you. What more can you do? On another thought, if you fly exclusively 100% in the highest cabin, then why would you even care about airline status?
Old Jan 18, 2014, 10:07 am

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Personally, if I was in your case (as you seem to be doing) I'd only ever fly UA if I could confirm R space at booking using said instruments. Not worth gambling or waiting for CPU esp. if you're hitting 100K on another carrier.
This is what Mrs1KPath and I did last year...and were successful only twice (six GPUs in the round file)...so we flew CX, SQ, NZ and other carriers in paid C and PE...and did not miss UA C or F one bit!
Old Jan 18, 2014, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Since they think the lifetime folks are already over-entitled as is, of course they don't want to give you "double upgrades" with the earned ones in addition to the annual ones.

Yup - that is exactly where UA's policy drove me. Now to be fair the rest of their service level was the real push. If they were still providing me with the type of customer service I was a few years back I would still be directing my flying their way even with this rather wacky disincentive structure. But as it is I only book UA when either a) they are the only reasonable choice or b) it is long flight that I can use a cert for at booking time (no gambling). Since I am also fine with just booking premium cabin tickets that means that what UA loses is all my expensive tickets and what they get are generally my bargain basement tickets. Great model they have there!
Old Jan 18, 2014, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
But flying only 4 segments will not move me up from Gold to Platinum.
Of course not. But flying 75,000 EQM's and spending $7500 won't either - UNLESS you do 4 legs on UA metal.

It's not that confusing, really.
You should likely ignore the minimum segments portion on the web.

Dave
Old Jan 18, 2014, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Since I am also fine with just booking premium cabin tickets that means that what UA loses is all my expensive tickets and what they get are generally my bargain basement tickets. Great model they have there!
Yes, but in this way they don't have to deal with you and all of your over-entitlement very often so they are perfectly content.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.