Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits

Old Jan 3, 2014, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
MM roll call thread: UA Million Miler/Multi-Million Miler Roll Call Thread

UA offers a way to earn status based on accumulative (lifetime) flight.
Lifetime Premier status

The Million Miler program grants lifetime Premier status to all qualifying members, even if they fly less in the future. Lifetime miles are earned based on the flight distance of United- and United Express®-operated flights. Basic Economy tickets do not earn lifetime flight miles.
(How are "lifetime miles" calculated for MileagePlus?)
Here are the status benefits of the Million Miler program:

You can earn (the old fashioned way, same thresholds) higher status, but with MMers status, you will never fall below the MMer status level.
Annual companion Premier status

As a Million Miler, you may invite your spouse or significant other to share your current Premier status. This membership is nontransferable and will automatically renew each year unless you let us know otherwise.

See companion eligibility terms and conditions at the bottom of this page for more details.

To select or review your companion or to change your companion for the next calendar year, visit united.com/MMcompanion.
Frequently Asked Questions

Do I get a "permanent / lifetime" card?

No, you get an annual card, as everyone else does. It will have an MM insignia. A permanent card would not make sense because you may earn a higher status than your MMer status.

Do I need to do anything to maintain MMer status? Recent flights? 4 segments? some PQMs or PQDs

No, you need to do nothing.

Will 2MM flyers receive 2 RPUs annually?

Yes: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21007782-post85.html :

Originally Posted by UA Insider

All 3 Million Milers will receive 6 GPUs at the beginning of 2015, unless they were already earned through the published criteria.
Similarly, 2 Million Milers will receive 2 RPUs at the beginning of 2015, unless already earned by the published criteria.
Will 3MM flyers receive 6 GPUs annually?

Yes. See above.

Since a 3MM flyer is also a 2MM flyer, will 3MM flyers also receive 2 RPUs annually?

According to an email exchange on 1/15/2014 with 1Kvoice as a 3MM LT 1K one should see 6 GPUs and 2 RPUs by end of January if one didn't fly the miles last year. Those xPUs in fact deposited 1/16/2014.

Pre-merger United 1MM flyers were promised two Confirmed Regional upgrades per year. Were they grandfathered into two RPUs per year?

No. And a class action suit claiming this was a breach of contract with pre-merger MM members was denied by a court, so this issue appears to be closed. For more: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...judgmt-ua.html

Pre-merger United 2MM flyers were promised a Red Carpet Club lounge membership for life. Will they be grandfathered into a lifetime United Club membership?

Yes, but they need to call the MileagePlus service center.

I was close to 2MM status before January 1, 2012, and was on a pace to reach 2MM BIS before January 1, 2013. Should I have received a lifetime membership?

Some have. Call the MileagePlus service center.

2 and 3 Million Miler Gift
Changed to RDM bonus in 2020

If I have Million Mile or Beyond status, do I have to fly 4 segments annually on UA/UX metal to keep my status?

Presently, no, for your earned MM status, nothing more is needed. However, if you want a higher elite status than one your Million Mile or Beyond status gives you, then you have to fly the 4 segments and credit to them to M+.

If I have Million Mile or Beyond status, do I have to earn PQDs to keep my status?

Presently, no, for your earned MM status, nothing more is needed. However, if you want a higher elite status than one your Million Mile or Beyond status gives you, then you have to earn the required PQDs for that status. Your Million Mile and Beyond status do not give you a jump start on PQDs, PQMs, or PQSes toward a higher elite status.

Million Mile Program FAQs

Terms and conditions for MileagePlus Million Miler companion benefit

FT thread: Million Miler companion benefit

Frequently Made Points (2012)
  • Many lifetime CO elites made gains with the new program:
    • Lifetime silvers become lifetime golds
    • Infinite elites became lifetime 1Ks
  • Many lifetime UA elites made gains with the new program:
    • The one-time adjustment to recalculate lifetime miles to be equal to lifetime PQM boosted most lifetime totals, and many people were elevated to the first or next tier of the MM program.
    • The companion program benefited most elites.
    • The addition of lifetime platinum to existing 2MMer grandfathered lifetime United Club membership was a benefit for all pre-existing 2MMers.
    • The replacement of lifetime United Club with platinum was a benefit for those people between 1MM and 2MM lifetime miles who valued a higher upgrade priority.
    • For people at or aiming toward 4MM, the introduction of lifetime GS at 4MM
    • Leather luggage tags
  • Many lifetime CO elites had losses with the new program:
    • Moving forward, PQMs do not count toward lifetime status.
  • Many lifetime UA elites had losses with the new program:
    • For 1MM and 2MM elites, the loss of 100% RDM bonus (reduced to 50% and 75% respectively)
    • For 1MM elites, the loss of two annual CR-1s (nka RPUs)
    • For people over 1MM but not "close enough" to 2MM, the loss of the opportunity to get lifetime United Club membership.
    • The loss of one-time gifts of extra SWUs (nka GPUs)
    • The inflation of membership numbers negating the significance of flying an actual one million BIS miles on UA metal, i.e. "Million Mile Flyers"
Related thread: Lifetime status by airline -- attempted summary
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits

Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA Global Services / Million Miler, Marriott Ambassador / Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by 1k650
Yes, the Tumi carry-on was fantastic. I still use mine all the time. Has a UA 3 MM logo.
Is it compliant with the new size regs?
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA1KMM SPGPLAT
Originally Posted by honmani2
I know when I reached 2MM, I had a choice of gifts and I chose the iPod. Not quite at 3MM but I remember one of the choices being a Tumi carryon bag. The UA website is silent on gifts at any level.
I hit 2 MM just a little too late to get the lifetime club benefit, so instead I received a Kindle Fire.
Old May 9, 2014, 10:18 am

Programs: UA GS
After my next flight, I'll be a 1MM 1K. Does my designated companion receive six systemwide and four regional upgrades? if so, when do they generally post after passing the milestone and making the designation?

Last edited by jsl42; May 9, 2014 at 10:33 am
Old May 9, 2014, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jsl42
After my next flight, I'll be a 1MM 1K. Does my designated companion receive four systemwide and six regional upgrades? if so, when do they generally post after passing the milestone and making the designation?
No upgrade certificates for the companion.

Also - the math is off. 1Ks receive 6 GPUs (no longer SWUs) and 4 RPUs (2 at Platinum, 2 more at 1K).
Old May 9, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by aacharya
No. Also - the math is off. 1Ks receive 6 GPUs (no longer SWUs) and 4 RPUs (2 at Platinum, 2 more at 1K).
Thanks
Old Jun 18, 2014, 6:09 am

Programs: Hilton D, UA 1MM LT 1K-, LT UAClub, DL MS, DL 1MM, Former LT PClub, CO Infinite Elite
Originally Posted by aacharya
No upgrade certificates for the companion.

Also - the math is off. 1Ks receive 6 GPUs (no longer SWUs) and 4 RPUs (2 at Platinum, 2 more at 1K).
Ahha; so the promise of the highest benefit as a LT 1K out of the old Continental program means "not quite the highest" or about the same as a companion of a MM.

Funny revenue logic. As one who pays for my own flights, I always buy economy, but, in fact, would have bought "W" if I had had GPU's.

I really think COdbaUA should honor the CO commitment. I still carry at least one bag that has the "Infinite Elite" phrase on the tag. The letter welcoming me to the status was unambiguous; the top status, whatever it might be, in the future.

I also think the 2nd 100,000, like the 1st, should earn 6 GPUs, rather than 4.

Thanks everyone who contributes here.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 9:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by ContPlat
I really think COdbaUA should honor the CO commitment.
You mean CO's Gold-for-Life commitment to Infinite Elites? That's what I understand you were promised and you obviously got quite a bit more.
The letter welcoming me to the status was unambiguous; the top status, whatever it might be, in the future.
If that's really what your letter said, that's the first such report I've read. Can you share the specific wording?
Old Jun 18, 2014, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by NiceLanding
You mean CO's Gold-for-Life commitment to Infinite Elites? That's what I understand you were promised and you obviously got quite a bit more.
Yeah...they already got the Golden Ticket w/1K for life. Absolutely no basis to complain about not getting GPUs.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 8:21 am

Programs: Hilton D, UA 1MM LT 1K-, LT UAClub, DL MS, DL 1MM, Former LT PClub, CO Infinite Elite
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Yeah...they already got the Golden Ticket w/1K for life. Absolutely no basis to complain about not getting GPUs.
I really wonder why you would suggest that "the top status for life" would mean a title without the benefits?

I qualify for 1K as of January 1 of every year. Read the rule on GPUs and RPUs. They are available as soon as one qualifies.

Whenever I make a contract and the other side renegs, I complain. Are you also suggesting you don't?

Originally Posted by NiceLanding

If that's really what your letter said, that's the first such report I've read. Can you share the specific wording?
Nope, not "gold for life." "infinite elite" describes it better; the top status for ever, whatever it might be.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jun 26, 2014 at 11:38 pm Reason: Combine consecutive posts of same member.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I really wonder why you would suggest that "the top status for life" would mean a title without the benefits?

I qualify for 1K as of January 1 of every year. Read the rule on GPUs and RPUs. They are available as soon as one qualifies.

Whenever I make a contract and the other side renegs, I complain. Are you also suggesting you don't?
Do you have a document that actually says "top status for life"?

Question, how many actual miles over those 5 years did you fly to earn your Infinite Elite status?

IMO this would be another (one of the few) "Rainey is right" scenarios.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 1:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
You mean like this http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...judgmt-ua.html, where the court determined (IMNAL) there was no contract.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Do you have a document that actually says "top status for life"?

Question, how many actual miles over those 5 years did you fly to earn your Infinite Elite status?

IMO this would be another (one of the few) "Rainey is right" scenarios.
Thanks for asking.
Yes I do. Confirmed publicly by Gordon Bethune several years ago.
How is that pertinent to the contract? Are you assuming I was an adult stealing candy from a toddler?

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You mean like this http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...judgmt-ua.html, where the court determined (IMNAL) there was no contract.
Thanks. He was arguing about the benefits granted his tier.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jun 26, 2014 at 11:36 pm Reason: Combine consecutive posts of same member.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Right. The tier that he earned. Since you didn't earn yours in the least, take what you can get and be thankful. And stop taking about "contracts" unless you are willing to put your money up and go to court.

[Unduly personalized text edited by Moderator.] A "soft landing" to GM would be fantastic and maybe your vocalization will help bring such a miracle about...

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jun 26, 2014 at 11:39 pm Reason: See note above.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 10:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
But the court's key point was UA's agreement with it elites (of any level) is not a contract outside of the MP rules which state UA can change the terms unilaterally and without notice. So your "contract" is no better.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
Right. The tier that he earned. Since you didn't earn yours in the least, take what you can get and be thankful. And stop taking about "contracts" unless you are willing to put your money up and go to court.

A "soft landing" to GM would be fantastic and maybe your vocalization will help bring such a miracle about...
Your hard feelings are expressed to the wrong guy. I earned it with what was considered in those days extraordinary frequent flying on a dead airline that hardly flew anywhere. I don't need to go to court; Gord Bethune stated it accurately and publicly.

Don't worry, we were a pretty small group to begin with and attrition is taking its toll. You'll still be belly aching after I have died. Resentment works that way.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
But the court's key point was UA's agreement with it elites (of any level) is not a contract outside of the MP rules which state UA can change the terms unilaterally and without notice. So your "contract" is no better.
You are right, when they take away the complimentary upgrades for the highest tier (whatever it is then called), I will lose them. Same with club access (except I bought mine), GPU's, RPU's, all of the benefits can be changed at united's whim at anytime.

When united decided that GPU's for 1K's needed a minimum class of trans-oceanic service, my benefits were reduced; no recourse. So, I have already survived a degredation of benefits to my tier.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 27, 2014 at 1:29 am Reason: Combine consecutive posts of same member.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.