Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2014, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
MM roll call thread: UA Million Miler/Multi-Million Miler Roll Call Thread

UA offers a way to earn status based on accumulative (lifetime) flight.
Lifetime Premier status

The Million Miler program grants lifetime Premier status to all qualifying members, even if they fly less in the future. Lifetime miles are earned based on the flight distance of United- and United Express®-operated flights. Basic Economy tickets do not earn lifetime flight miles.
(How are "lifetime miles" calculated for MileagePlus?)
Here are the status benefits of the Million Miler program:

You can earn (the old fashioned way, same thresholds) higher status, but with MMers status, you will never fall below the MMer status level.
Annual companion Premier status

As a Million Miler, you may invite your spouse or significant other to share your current Premier status. This membership is nontransferable and will automatically renew each year unless you let us know otherwise.

See companion eligibility terms and conditions at the bottom of this page for more details.

To select or review your companion or to change your companion for the next calendar year, visit united.com/MMcompanion.
Frequently Asked Questions

Do I get a "permanent / lifetime" card?

No, you get an annual card, as everyone else does. It will have an MM insignia. A permanent card would not make sense because you may earn a higher status than your MMer status.

Do I need to do anything to maintain MMer status? Recent flights? 4 segments? some PQMs or PQDs

No, you need to do nothing.

Will 2MM flyers receive 2 RPUs annually?

Yes: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21007782-post85.html :

Originally Posted by UA Insider

All 3 Million Milers will receive 6 GPUs at the beginning of 2015, unless they were already earned through the published criteria.
Similarly, 2 Million Milers will receive 2 RPUs at the beginning of 2015, unless already earned by the published criteria.
Will 3MM flyers receive 6 GPUs annually?

Yes. See above.

Since a 3MM flyer is also a 2MM flyer, will 3MM flyers also receive 2 RPUs annually?

According to an email exchange on 1/15/2014 with 1Kvoice as a 3MM LT 1K one should see 6 GPUs and 2 RPUs by end of January if one didn't fly the miles last year. Those xPUs in fact deposited 1/16/2014.

Pre-merger United 1MM flyers were promised two Confirmed Regional upgrades per year. Were they grandfathered into two RPUs per year?

No. And a class action suit claiming this was a breach of contract with pre-merger MM members was denied by a court, so this issue appears to be closed. For more: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...judgmt-ua.html

Pre-merger United 2MM flyers were promised a Red Carpet Club lounge membership for life. Will they be grandfathered into a lifetime United Club membership?

Yes, but they need to call the MileagePlus service center.

I was close to 2MM status before January 1, 2012, and was on a pace to reach 2MM BIS before January 1, 2013. Should I have received a lifetime membership?

Some have. Call the MileagePlus service center.

2 and 3 Million Miler Gift
Changed to RDM bonus in 2020

If I have Million Mile or Beyond status, do I have to fly 4 segments annually on UA/UX metal to keep my status?

Presently, no, for your earned MM status, nothing more is needed. However, if you want a higher elite status than one your Million Mile or Beyond status gives you, then you have to fly the 4 segments and credit to them to M+.

If I have Million Mile or Beyond status, do I have to earn PQDs to keep my status?

Presently, no, for your earned MM status, nothing more is needed. However, if you want a higher elite status than one your Million Mile or Beyond status gives you, then you have to earn the required PQDs for that status. Your Million Mile and Beyond status do not give you a jump start on PQDs, PQMs, or PQSes toward a higher elite status.

Million Mile Program FAQs

Terms and conditions for MileagePlus Million Miler companion benefit

FT thread: Million Miler companion benefit

Frequently Made Points (2012)
  • Many lifetime CO elites made gains with the new program:
    • Lifetime silvers become lifetime golds
    • Infinite elites became lifetime 1Ks
  • Many lifetime UA elites made gains with the new program:
    • The one-time adjustment to recalculate lifetime miles to be equal to lifetime PQM boosted most lifetime totals, and many people were elevated to the first or next tier of the MM program.
    • The companion program benefited most elites.
    • The addition of lifetime platinum to existing 2MMer grandfathered lifetime United Club membership was a benefit for all pre-existing 2MMers.
    • The replacement of lifetime United Club with platinum was a benefit for those people between 1MM and 2MM lifetime miles who valued a higher upgrade priority.
    • For people at or aiming toward 4MM, the introduction of lifetime GS at 4MM
    • Leather luggage tags
  • Many lifetime CO elites had losses with the new program:
    • Moving forward, PQMs do not count toward lifetime status.
  • Many lifetime UA elites had losses with the new program:
    • For 1MM and 2MM elites, the loss of 100% RDM bonus (reduced to 50% and 75% respectively)
    • For 1MM elites, the loss of two annual CR-1s (nka RPUs)
    • For people over 1MM but not "close enough" to 2MM, the loss of the opportunity to get lifetime United Club membership.
    • The loss of one-time gifts of extra SWUs (nka GPUs)
    • The inflation of membership numbers negating the significance of flying an actual one million BIS miles on UA metal, i.e. "Million Mile Flyers"
Related thread: Lifetime status by airline -- attempted summary
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2018, 4:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Two Bee
Reached 3 MMM and thus lifetime 1K, middle of Feb, 2018. When should I get my 6 GPU's and 2 RPU's posted to my account. ....
You will get them in the first two weeks fo January (next year), once it is clear you will not qualify in the standard manner.

See discussion in United Million Milers Who Are 2mm or Higher: Have Your RPUs/GPUs Posted? [2018]

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 14, 2018 at 4:44 pm Reason: link
Old Jul 14, 2018, 5:21 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You will get them in the first two weeks fo January (next year), once it is clear you will not qualify in the standard manner.

See discussion in United Million Milers Who Are 2mm or Higher: Have Your RPUs/GPUs Posted? [2018]
Thank you!
Old Jul 14, 2018, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by mikebrooklyn
Has anyone heard of UA matching lifetime miles when switching alliances from say AA to UA?
No. The only way to accumulate a lifetime mile today (aka butt-in-seat mile) is to fly that mile on UA metal. UA is one of the most strict airlines in how they define a lifetime mile.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by goMets101
So now I'm just curious, with my 1K 3MM status, are PQDs even relevant at all for me or can they still play a small factor on some things?
As mentioned, yes: (a) counting for GS qualification, (b) getting your certificates earlier in the year, and (c) getting additional certificates beyond 100k PQM
Old Jul 23, 2018, 7:23 am

2018 mileage plus gold qualifications

I'm UA gold grandfathered with "million miles". What are my requirements for 2018 to keep status for next year.
Thanks for the help.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 7:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by JerseyJoe
I'm UA gold grandfathered with "million miles". What are my requirements for 2018 to keep status for next year.
The only requirement is a heartbeat. Lifetime status requires no additional effort.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Thanks for the help.
Have you nominated someone as your million miler companion yet?
Old Jul 23, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Read through several pages here and can't find this specific answer. I am a Million Miler and GS. Should be GS next year.

I have been using miles for all my spouse's trips in 2018. Does she need to have the four paid segments to get my GS "matched status" in 2019?
Old Jul 23, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Nope. My wife hasn't been on a paid ticket for years and has my matched status.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Perfect. Thanks.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 8:20 pm

I thought that even with my "grandfathered" status I had to fly at least four UA segments.
What I'm worried about is if they have added a minimum dollar spending amount

Yes, my wife made darn sure she got that perk.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 24, 2018 at 12:15 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 23, 2018, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Polytonic
Oh hush! You already have gold! Give to me instead, so I no longer have to be peasant tier!
Some of us don't like but on the hamster wheel that is flying 50,000 miles on UA and *A partners every year until we hit 1M BIS on UA or die

To answer the gentleman's original question you have "whatever status" for life. "Whatever status" depends on how many million miles you've logged prior to being grandfathered in:
  • 1M Miles = Lifetime Gold
  • 2M Miles = Lifetime Platinum
  • 3M Miles = Lifetime 1K
  • 4M Miles = Lifetime GS
To summarize the benefits of each tier:
  • Gold: Complimentary Domestic Upgrades, Access to Lounges when Flying Internationally and at Select US Airports (i.e. IAD), Priority Everything, Free bags, Free E+ seat selection for you and 1 companion at booking
  • Platinum : Same as Gold but better chances upgrade clearing, boarding group 1 when boarding, E+ for you and 8 other people on UA, 2 regional upgrade credits which can be used to force through an upgrade on UA "domestic" flights
  • 1K : Same as Platinum except better chances of upgrading, 2 global upgrade credits that can be used to force an upgrade anywhere UA (and certain *A partners) fly
  • Global Services : Same as 1K except access to United first lounges, a couple extra upgrade credits, slightly better priority on United (esp CPU upgrades) and the occasional bottle of wine and autographed photo of Oscar once a year
No doubt fellow FTers will correct me on the specifics of each program but that's a 40,000 foot view of the program.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jul 23, 2018, 9:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by j2simpso
No doubt fellow FTers will correct me on the specifics of each program
Gold also gets boarding group 2.

Platinum and higher get some fee waivers.

Neither RPUs nor GPUs can "force an upgrade". They're inventory-dependent, just like mileage upgrades.

Your upgrade certs for 1K and GS are incorrect. It's six GPUs for 100K PQM, plus two more for every 50K, and two additional RPUs for every 25K starting at 100K. No additional upgrade certs for GS, but easier to upgrade (different inventory).
Old Jul 23, 2018, 10:55 pm

I thought that even with my "grandfathered" status I had to fly at least four UA segments.
What I'm worried about is if they have added a minimum dollar spending amount
Nothing to worry about (at least for now), sit back, relax and enjoy those perks! Should anything major change to that program (good or bad) I guarantee you the following will happen:
  1. You'll receive an email/letter from UA outlining the changes
  2. There will be an uproar on the UA Board @ FT
  3. TPG will make a note of it after they have an exposé covering some trivial matter like orange peels in their drink
Safe Travels,

James
Old Jul 25, 2018, 7:34 am

Thanks for the answers and moving my post to the correct thread.
What? no lemons or limes, only orange peels?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.