Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2014, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
MM roll call thread: UA Million Miler/Multi-Million Miler Roll Call Thread

UA offers a way to earn status based on accumulative (lifetime) flight.
Lifetime Premier status

The Million Miler program grants lifetime Premier status to all qualifying members, even if they fly less in the future. Lifetime miles are earned based on the flight distance of United- and United Express®-operated flights. Basic Economy tickets do not earn lifetime flight miles.
(How are "lifetime miles" calculated for MileagePlus?)
Here are the status benefits of the Million Miler program:

You can earn (the old fashioned way, same thresholds) higher status, but with MMers status, you will never fall below the MMer status level.
Annual companion Premier status

As a Million Miler, you may invite your spouse or significant other to share your current Premier status. This membership is nontransferable and will automatically renew each year unless you let us know otherwise.

See companion eligibility terms and conditions at the bottom of this page for more details.

To select or review your companion or to change your companion for the next calendar year, visit united.com/MMcompanion.
Frequently Asked Questions

Do I get a "permanent / lifetime" card?

No, you get an annual card, as everyone else does. It will have an MM insignia. A permanent card would not make sense because you may earn a higher status than your MMer status.

Do I need to do anything to maintain MMer status? Recent flights? 4 segments? some PQMs or PQDs

No, you need to do nothing.

Will 2MM flyers receive 2 RPUs annually?

Yes: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21007782-post85.html :

Originally Posted by UA Insider

All 3 Million Milers will receive 6 GPUs at the beginning of 2015, unless they were already earned through the published criteria.
Similarly, 2 Million Milers will receive 2 RPUs at the beginning of 2015, unless already earned by the published criteria.
Will 3MM flyers receive 6 GPUs annually?

Yes. See above.

Since a 3MM flyer is also a 2MM flyer, will 3MM flyers also receive 2 RPUs annually?

According to an email exchange on 1/15/2014 with 1Kvoice as a 3MM LT 1K one should see 6 GPUs and 2 RPUs by end of January if one didn't fly the miles last year. Those xPUs in fact deposited 1/16/2014.

Pre-merger United 1MM flyers were promised two Confirmed Regional upgrades per year. Were they grandfathered into two RPUs per year?

No. And a class action suit claiming this was a breach of contract with pre-merger MM members was denied by a court, so this issue appears to be closed. For more: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...judgmt-ua.html

Pre-merger United 2MM flyers were promised a Red Carpet Club lounge membership for life. Will they be grandfathered into a lifetime United Club membership?

Yes, but they need to call the MileagePlus service center.

I was close to 2MM status before January 1, 2012, and was on a pace to reach 2MM BIS before January 1, 2013. Should I have received a lifetime membership?

Some have. Call the MileagePlus service center.

2 and 3 Million Miler Gift
Changed to RDM bonus in 2020

If I have Million Mile or Beyond status, do I have to fly 4 segments annually on UA/UX metal to keep my status?

Presently, no, for your earned MM status, nothing more is needed. However, if you want a higher elite status than one your Million Mile or Beyond status gives you, then you have to fly the 4 segments and credit to them to M+.

If I have Million Mile or Beyond status, do I have to earn PQDs to keep my status?

Presently, no, for your earned MM status, nothing more is needed. However, if you want a higher elite status than one your Million Mile or Beyond status gives you, then you have to earn the required PQDs for that status. Your Million Mile and Beyond status do not give you a jump start on PQDs, PQMs, or PQSes toward a higher elite status.

Million Mile Program FAQs

Terms and conditions for MileagePlus Million Miler companion benefit

FT thread: Million Miler companion benefit

Frequently Made Points (2012)
  • Many lifetime CO elites made gains with the new program:
    • Lifetime silvers become lifetime golds
    • Infinite elites became lifetime 1Ks
  • Many lifetime UA elites made gains with the new program:
    • The one-time adjustment to recalculate lifetime miles to be equal to lifetime PQM boosted most lifetime totals, and many people were elevated to the first or next tier of the MM program.
    • The companion program benefited most elites.
    • The addition of lifetime platinum to existing 2MMer grandfathered lifetime United Club membership was a benefit for all pre-existing 2MMers.
    • The replacement of lifetime United Club with platinum was a benefit for those people between 1MM and 2MM lifetime miles who valued a higher upgrade priority.
    • For people at or aiming toward 4MM, the introduction of lifetime GS at 4MM
    • Leather luggage tags
  • Many lifetime CO elites had losses with the new program:
    • Moving forward, PQMs do not count toward lifetime status.
  • Many lifetime UA elites had losses with the new program:
    • For 1MM and 2MM elites, the loss of 100% RDM bonus (reduced to 50% and 75% respectively)
    • For 1MM elites, the loss of two annual CR-1s (nka RPUs)
    • For people over 1MM but not "close enough" to 2MM, the loss of the opportunity to get lifetime United Club membership.
    • The loss of one-time gifts of extra SWUs (nka GPUs)
    • The inflation of membership numbers negating the significance of flying an actual one million BIS miles on UA metal, i.e. "Million Mile Flyers"
Related thread: Lifetime status by airline -- attempted summary
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2014, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Hey, an actual example of smart Big Data execution!
Old Jan 8, 2014, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by flyinbob
I didn't get anything. Still don't. It simply isn't the big deal it used to be pre-merger.
For this 1K that was hitting it with ~$4300-4500 spend annually, I wouldn't even have Gold under the new PQD structure. So it's a big deal for me!
Old Jan 8, 2014, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA Global Services / Million Miler, Marriott Ambassador / Lifetime Titanium
Congrats on your upcoming achievement and the email - I certainly never received anything like this before or afterward.

I'm interested to know what the * is in reference to in the email? This is the first time that I've seen any official communication stating that you will not "fall below Premier Gold". UA has been, I believe, very diligent since the merger in their referencing of just a generic "lifetime premier status" benefit for MMers, once the you-know-what hit the fan with the devaluation of both MM and Premier Exec/Gold benefits. And as a result some of us have been concerned that it's just a matter of time before MM gets demoted to lifetime Silver - since, you know, the Ts and Cs literally say "We can screw you at any time and in any way we want. Muahahahahahaha!"

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
A nice touch by United to send this out...

I applaud UA for sending this out to folks who are close to MM (I am ~34k away), hope they sent something similar to existing MMers to thank them for their loyalty over the years.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by u2vox
Congrats on your upcoming achievement and the email - I certainly never received anything like this before or afterward.

I'm interested to know what the * is in reference to in the email? This is the first time that I've seen any official communication stating that you will not "fall below Premier Gold". UA has been, I believe, very diligent since the merger in their referencing of just a generic "lifetime premier status" benefit for MMers, once the you-know-what hit the fan with the devaluation of both MM and Premier Exec/Gold benefits. And as a result some of us have been concerned that it's just a matter of time before MM gets demoted to lifetime Silver - since, you know, the Ts and Cs literally say "We can screw you at any time and in any way we want. Muahahahahahaha!"
I'm morbidly interested as well. UA is putting the 'gold' in writing; however, that to me shows confidence that the definition of the privileges a UA premier gold enjoyed is up to UA.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:01 am

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
UA Million Miler no idea on benefits

Hey all,

I sat beside a doctor on a flight to LAX, and he was a million miler(1K this year)... Not only did he have any clue how fare classes work(he showed me his bookings and he is always in full fare Y so instant upgrade), he had no idea what RPU/GPU's were and never used them in his life... He had no idea how CPU's work or really any of the best benefits of premier. I explained everything to him in a nutshell and he was amazed how much he is missing out on.

Have you met any frequent fliers that don't know any of the benefits or is this a rarity?
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:06 am

Programs: UA 1K
Outside fields where traveling is a semiweekly chore, and people talk about it a ton, I think this is probably very common.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:07 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by SKYEG
Hey all,

I sat beside a doctor on a flight to LAX, and he was a million miler(1K this year)... Not only did he have any idea about fare classes(he showed me his bookings and he is always in full fare Y so instant upgrade), he had no idea what RPU/GPU's were and never used them in his life... He had no clue how CPU's work or really any benefits at all of premier. It was I explained everything to him in a nutshell and he was amazed how much he is missing out on.

Have you met any frequent fliers that don't know any of the benefits or is this a rarity?
Most of my co-workers couldn't care less. They just see flying as a necessary evil. Sometimes they'll use their earned miles for family vacations, often paying the standard award rate. I doubt many of them even read the website nor the materials UA sends.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:13 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
a lot of the account execs i work with are like this. they just don't care. they typically rack up 175-250K domestically. i talked to them about it before and they're all like "yeah, whatever." the only thing that caught their attention was the YBM-up. that one everyone seems to notice and like.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
12 years ago or so on FT, I remember reading about a guy who through all UA mail away. When he learned he was trading swu's, he was beside himself.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:17 am

I have numerous colleagues who are high-level elites with a variety of airlines who don't know their benefits, don't chase or actively collect miles, don't use upgrades and who let thousands of miles expire each year from disuse. All they care about on a flight is "enough legroom" or an "exit row."
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
All I can say is, good for us "in the know"!
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:43 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
I'd say FF programs and upgrades must make Medicare billing look simple. The Byzantines would get lost in this process. Physicians deal with cause and effect and rational, scientific processes- none of which is present in FF programs.

I've been on this website for a month and the upgrade system still boggles me, especially the higher levels of gaming. I count 24 fare distinctions. The only letters they don't use are I, O, R, X. X means nicked, so I see why they don't use it. R is some upgrade state. That leaves the only letters really open are I, O. Why don't they like vowels???

The amazing thing is that fare class is so important to the airlines, and they give you almost no information about it and no tools to manipulate it.

This stuff is cra-cra

As a side note, if he is a doc with 1K status from BIS, he might just be paying full boat and not have to worry about the FF table scraps that we all scramble for....
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by PushingTin
The only letters they don't use are I, O, R, X. X means nicked, so I see why they don't use it. R is some upgrade state. That leaves the only letters really open are I, O. Why don't they like vowels??
They all get used. I and O are Business and First Class awards. X is a Coach award.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Well-worn topic that comes up regularly.
Try this extensive thread from some years back.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Very Common.

My seatmate in C on an ORD-MUC flight in October was almost as oblivious:

He was a CFO for a major multi-national and all of his travel was handled by a corporate agent. All he knew was that they always booked him in C, and that sometimes UA would upgrade him to F, but that it was a mystery to him how it happens. He told me that he had over 5 million miles in his account, but that he never had time to use them. He said that he would regularly book trips for family, etc. but that he earned miles faster than he could spend them. I asked him why he didn't use his GPUs to try for F more often, and he told me that he didn't really care about F now that everything in C is a lie-flat, so the GPUs were really worthless to him. RPUs, likewise, had no value to him because he was always booked in domestic F (probably on a Y,B,M-up fare like OP mentioned).

I told him all about FT, so hopefully he is a new member, and benefitting from the knowledge so graciously shared here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.